No Reddick = No Super Bowl

15 minutes ago, slats said:

He has figured it out. He understands that has all the leverage, and can simply wait Reddick out. Reddick is only hurting himself, and the Jets will have a dominant DL with or without him. 

If "Figure it the F out" is code for "cave in," then just say that.

The Jets don't look great in this situation (incompetence to make the trade to begin with), but Douglas is playing it the right way at this stage.  The Jets do not owe Reddick a thing.  He hasn't played a single snap for them.  We aren't talking about a player that has been here for years and contributed.  The fans don't have any emotional attachment to him.

If this is how Reddick wants to play things, then let him rot.  He's in no position to hold this team hostage.  He can show up and produce for his next/last significant contract, or he can sit out the season, lose an entire year of earnings, and be in the exact same situation with the Jets owning his rights next year.  If it comes to that, then the Jets lose a 2026 third rounder for essentially nothing.  So be it.  Under no circumstances should the Jets cave to a player in this situation.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Question: If signing Reddick to a massive new contract results in him playing and doubling our chances of a ring (say from 20% to 40%), would you do it even if it meant losing Garrett or Breece or AVT or Jermaine?

I think this is where Joe Douglas is....

No. JD has a very clear stance and line in the sand. He knows this team can compete now but he is in no way, shape or form going to gamble away his cornerstone pieces. He is NOT losing certain guys no matter what. I think those guys are Sauce and Garrett. I think JJ, Breece and AVT are more expendable (although they are not far behind on the list). But he is certainly not tormenting over the idea that if Reddick doesn't play our chances to get to SB go down by X%. To me, thats silly.

If that was the case, someone would have already been cut/traded and Reddick would have gotten a new deal by now. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.

He's an impact level player that can be the difference between wins and losses.  This is a win now team.  How often do we truly have a roster capable of a deep playoff run?

Why so many care about Woody's money is beyond me.  Check the ego's, pay the guy, get him in house and worry about the extra few million extra cap hit in two years when the team is rebuilding again.

so are you recommending a 2 year deal?

not a fan of throwing away a decent potential comp pick - but that's just my preference.

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

so are you recommending a 2 year deal?

not a fan of throwing away a decent potential comp pick - but that's just my preference.

For sure.  If a two year deal would get it done then absolutely.  I suspect he's looking for more.  If all he wants is two years and it hasn't gotten done then JD should be fired.  (assuming the ask is market)

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas is supposed to be an NFL GM.  Figure it the F out.  

I'm sure he can work out a contract that gets Reddick in camp and still allows them to pay those three two years from now.   Remember we're likely not going to be paying big money to a QB then.  

i think you don't really see how our cap situation is playing out in 2026.  

we already have 120mm on the books with Q, Rodgers, Lazard, CJ Mosley.

Got to play Sauce, Wilson, Breece, quincy, avt, jj

that's a minimum of 100mm right there (and probably more)

even if the cap is 300mm, it's gonna be really tight.

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

IIRC, Lazard can be cut with no (or minimal) cap hit after this year.

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I'll worry about '26 in '26.  

We have a chance to make a legitimate Super Bowl run.  The idea of holding back now makes close to no sense to me.  In '26 we're more than likely going to be starting a rookie QB.    You keep your stars and essentially be a rebuild year.  Get the dead money off the cap and be back in '27.

Get Reddick in house and Let's Go!

Sorry guys, but I think they should let this player rot. He agreed to play out his deal with the Jets and then turned around and thought he could squeezes us by the balls to get more money. I would’ve been happy if Joe and the Jets gave him a couple of million more when he showed up. Yet, he and his agents decided they would miss OTA’s and now the majority of training camp. so at this point, I wouldn’t give the guy another nickel and save that money for the guys that are here and need to be resigned next year. So Mr. Riddick, you can sit your butt out for the year and then do what the hell you want next year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

41 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No. JD has a very clear stance and line in the sand. He knows this team can compete now but he is in no way, shape or form going to gamble away his cornerstone pieces. He is NOT losing certain guys no matter what. I think those guys are Sauce and Garrett. I think JJ, Breece and AVT are more expendable (although they are not far behind on the list). But he is certainly not tormenting over the idea that if Reddick doesn't play our chances to get to SB go down by X%. To me, thats silly.

If that was the case, someone would have already been cut/traded and Reddick would have gotten a new deal by now. 

I don't like hearing "Breece is expendable" but I get that RBs are not valued as they once were.  I hope we can keep him though.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Joe Douglas is supposed to be an NFL GM.  Figure it the F out.  

I'm sure he can work out a contract that gets Reddick in camp and still allows them to pay those three two years from now.   Remember we're likely not going to be paying big money to a QB then.  

Not sure if same, but is sf deal with Aiyuk about salary cap or talent? Dont want that to happen to Jets with Wilson if about salary cap. 

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't like hearing "Breece is expendable" but I get that RBs are not valued as they once were.  I hope we can keep him though.

He's not. In a world where Sauce and GW are your cornerstone pieces, Breece, being a RB coming off serious injury, JJ an edge on a team that has a knack for developing d-linemen, and AVT a Guard coming off serious injury who has missed substantial time are MORE expendable. Certainly would love to keep ALL of them and I think the Jets will try, starting with Breece and JJ (assuming they lock up GW and Sauce).  

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

For sure.  If a two year deal would get it done then absolutely.  I suspect he's looking for more.  If all he wants is two years and it hasn't gotten done then JD should be fired.  (assuming the ask is market)

i just don't see how it's possible to put a 2 year 45mm contract given our cap issues coming up.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'll worry about '26 in '26.  

We have a chance to make a legitimate Super Bowl run.  The idea of holding back now makes close to no sense to me.  In '26 we're more than likely going to be starting a rookie QB.    You keep your stars and essentially be a rebuild year.  Get the dead money off the cap and be back in '27.

Get Reddick in house and Let's Go!

i'd be happy if they did it for a 1 year deal.  you think he wants a 3 year deal.   that is definitely not possible.

20 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Not just literally how his absence leaves a gaping hole on the d-line. Allowing teams to slide protection towards Quinnen, JJ, etc. 

I also think it’s a vibe situation. 

With Reddick starting week 1 in SF the Jets are on the right path.

If not, the Jets are tempting fate.

I’m an old guy and maybe I’ve done too much virtual aya like Rodgers. But Douglas’ stance towards Reddick, it’s all good until the football gods adjudge too arrogant. 

Oh noes!  The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!

Wait, I disagree.  You speak as if it's a certainty, and it is far from a certainty.  The Jets may be tempting fate, but I don't even think they're doing that.  Reddick has a contract.  Iff he doesn't like that contract, he never should have signed it in the first place.  I'm sure that his agent probably told him not to worry about this year that the Eagles would either voluntarily extend him and give him a new deal or he could hold out and force them to.  If that's what happened, it's disingenuous.  Both Reddick and his agent are delusional to think that some team is going to give him $25 mil per season and a bunch of guaranteed money at his age.  The Eagles were all to happy to move on from Reddick, and the Jets were the ONLY team that expressed any interest in acquiring Reddick.  The Lions said the other day that they wanted no part of him.  Atlanta's in a similar position with Judon.  They acquired him from NE, and now he's holding out for a new contract.  Good luck with that at his age.

Anyway, I digress.  Back to your post, JJ is probably going to be even better this season, McDonald and Clemons could contribute at higher levels than they have, there's Q, and Kinlaw hopefully will provide greater pressure than either Rankin or Jefferson, and there's the youngsters.  So the Jets pass rush might not even miss a beat with no Reddick.  In addition, the Jets could stay healthy for a change, and some of the other AFC teams could suffer crucial injuries to key players and the Jets make it to the SB.  If Rodgers stays healthy, with a better OL, WR, and RB corps, the Jets should put up a lot more points this season.

I'm old too, and disagree that JD is arrogant.  How is he arrogant?  He got an agreement from Reddick and traded for him, and Reddick either lied or changed his mind and isn't honoring the agreement.  If you make an agreement with someone on something do you honor it?  If they don't honor the agreement and they're going to be doing some work for you, do you turn around and give them more money anyway?  That's what you're expecting JD to do, and it makes no sense.  This is not JD's fault.  Reddick has a contract.  The Jets have all the leverage.  The Jets need cap space for this season for emergencies or maybe to extend MC II.  Why should they use up all their cap space on a 1-year rental of Reddick?  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Question: If signing Reddick to a massive new contract results in him playing and doubling our chances of a ring (say from 20% to 40%), would you do it even if it meant losing Garrett or Breece or AVT or Jermaine?

Not only no, but HELL no!

I agree that is the reality of where the Jets are.  They have Garrett, Breecee, JJ, AVT, MC II, and Sauce to extend.  They have 30 some FAs next offseason and are probably going to wind losing quite a few of them.  It's a no-brainer to hold the line on Reddick.  He either plays on his current contract or he sits his out for the season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

No team in history has ever had a 40% pre-season chance to win a ring (at least not since the free agency era began). And no individual player except a substantial QB upgrade would be able to double a team's chances to do so, in any case.

For context, the Chiefs have a 15.4% chance to win it all again in 2024 with the most impactful player in the sport by far.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am confused. I hear that Bryce Huff is pretty much Reddick's equal. So, if the Jets had re-signed Huff and not traded for Reddick would the chances to win a SB hinge on Huff's health?

For some, Huff is the meaning of life.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Breece will get tagged once maybe twice. He’s our Saquon Barkley.

Use him up, then move on.

• Upvote 1

First of all the Superbowl was never really in the cards this year anyway but to suggest it hinges on whether or not we have Reddick is beyond silliness.

There are lots of things to like about this team and a healthy contributing Reddick is one of them if that ever happens but it is one of about a dozen different reasons to like this team this year.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order;

1. A healthy Aaron Rogers with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.  The biggest single performance increase at the QB position from on year to the next that I have ever seen (partially because Zack was historically bad)
  2. If not the best running back in the NFL then certainly one of the top-3 and fully fit this year.
  3. A #2 running back who may very well give us the best 1-2 RB punch in the NFL including short yardage competency which we have been seriously lacking. 
  4. Garrett Wilson playing with anything resembling competent QB play.  Maybe not the best wideout in the NFL but he has a chance to be just that.
  5. A dramatically improved Offensive line
  6. The best secondary in football (or close to it)
  7. Strong Linebackers
  8. A very deep and talented defensive line, mostly young and this even without Hassan Reddick
  9. No weaknesses in the kicking game
  10. A WR group in general have been upgraded through the draft and (I cringe when I say this) but with Lazard who seems ready to actually try and earn his paycheck this year.

So really, we are going to sink or swim based on Reddick and only Reddick?

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

First of all the Superbowl was never really in the cards this year anyway but to suggest it hinges on whether or not we have Reddick is beyond silliness.

There are lots of things to like about this team and a healthy contributing Reddick is one of them if that ever happens but it is one of about a dozen different reasons to like this team this year.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order;

1. A healthy Aaron Rogers with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.  The biggest single performance increase at the QB position from on year to the next that I have ever seen (partially because Zack was historically bad)
  2. If not the best running back in the NFL then certainly one of the top-3 and fully fit this year.
  3. A #2 running back who may very well give us the best 1-2 RB punch in the NFL including short yardage competency which we have been seriously lacking. 
  4. Garrett Wilson playing with anything resembling competent QB play.  Maybe not the best wideout in the NFL but he has a chance to be just that.
  5. A dramatically improved Offensive line
  6. The best secondary in football (or close to it)
  7. Strong Linebackers
  8. A very deep and talented defensive line, mostly young and this even without Hassan Reddick
  9. No weaknesses in the kicking game
  10. A WR group in general have been upgraded through the draft and (I cringe when I say this) but with Lazard who seems ready to actually try and earn his paycheck this year.

So really, we are going to sink or swim based on Reddick and only Reddick?

Why wouldn’t the Super Bowl be in the cards this year?  Are we supposed to be happy with 9-8 and a quick exit out of the wildcard round? 

38 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Why wouldn’t the Super Bowl be in the cards this year?  Are we supposed to be happy with 9-8 and a quick exit out of the wildcard round? 

Honestly I don't see us getting by the Chiefs or Ravens.  I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong on this but those two teams are better IMO even if our "on paper" improvements turn out to also be true on the field.