Broncos Showcasing Zach Wilson for trade?

Payton spent all week telling anyone who would listen that Zach is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  He had Stidham throw four passes and now has Wilson out there airing it out to put up some numbers.  Have to imagine they want to try to get a pick for him.

• Upvote 2

I think it all depends on injury status. Which team really does not have a healthy backup. IMO if Denver keeps 3 and no trade opportunity I'd give Zach backup job because he can come into a game and short term makes more big plays than Stidham. But if Nix goes down or sucks I'd go with Stidham to start. 

• Upvote 2

It’d be wise to try and recoup something for him, at least. Former first rounders usually have fans in the coaching ranks on other teams and can bounce around for a few years regardless of how bad they are. Leinart hung around for six years. Darnold will cash a check until his mid-30’s. The question is if Zach wants to hang around the bottom of NFL rosters for a few more years or does he take his $30 mil, buy a sweet house in Cali, and take a gig as a studio host on FS1.

A couple f points.  Zach has improved over the past three seasons.  He has played well for the broncos.  Okay to preseason but he did as well as nix has done.  The second point is nix and Zach are roughly the same age.  What Zach really needed was more experience, especially at the college level.  It’s all water under the bridge.  IMO the broncos could do way worse than Zach at backup qb.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’d be wise to try and recoup something for him, at least. Former first rounders usually have fans in the coaching ranks on other teams and can bounce around for a few years regardless of how bad they are. Leinart hung around for six years. Darnold will cash a check until his mid-30’s. The question is if Zach wants to hang around the bottom of NFL rosters for a few more years or does he take his $30 mil, buy a sweet house in Cali, and take a gig as a studio host on FS1.

Imagine telling a kid born in the dugout that he has to go and run the bases backwards then get hit in the face with a fastball to get on base.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

IMO the broncos could do way worse than Zach at backup qb.

I think the problem there is that Payton knows what Zach looks like when he has to actually play in NFL games and that’s why he’s already locked Stidham in as the #2. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the problem there is that Payton knows what Zach looks like when he has to actually play in NFL games and that’s why he’s already locked Stidham in as the #2. 

And to think JD upgraded a 7th to a 6th by trading Wilson. I thought for sure they would have to cut him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

And to think JD upgraded a 7th to a 6th by trading Wilson. I thought for sure they would have to cut him.

Bigger steal by JD than Adam trade, honestly. Adams was worth something. Zach is a zero.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

😂 I think the entire NFL knows what Zach looks like when he has to actually NFL games (that count).

If Payton's plan "worked" and he actually gets something for Zach, it will be a minor miracle.

Zach Wilson looks fine when he has 5+ seconds to sit in the pocket relaxed and wait for his receivers to come clean uncovered with 5+ yards of separation against future UPS drivers.

Preseason wk 3 is the closest thing to simulating the 2020 COVID BYU situation as there can possibly be in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

In baseball it’s called a 4A player, too good for triple-A but not good enough to stay in the majors.   Not sure what the NFL version of that is but it’s Zach.   He’s good enough to beat 2nd/3rd string defenses but when the game speeds up he just panics.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Payton spent all week telling anyone who would listen that Zach is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  He had Stidham throw four passes and now has Wilson out there airing it out to put up some numbers.  Have to imagine they want to try to get a pick for him.

Let’s be honest. He did look pretty good there. Uh oh… incoming!

season 2 lol GIF by #Impastor

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Payton js looking to save face. F that guy.

Agrée first sentence, at least. But Payton is a no-nonsense football guy. Not going to let a couple mill force him to keep a guy around who just can’t play.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Agrée first sentence, at least. But Payton is a no-nonsense football. Not going to let a couple mill force him to keep a guy around who just can’t play.

I'm sure he was the one that pushed for the initial trade. Is he ready to throw in the towel if there are no trade partners now? Guy has a massive ego.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I'm sure he was the one that pushed for the initial trade. Is he ready to throw in the towel if there are no trade partners now? Guy has a massive ego.

I’m sure he pushed for it also. I also do not think he’d hesitate to slice his own mother’s throat for football reasons. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

He has more NFL experience than everyone else on the field with him combined. He’s cut.

No argument. I’m no fan of Zach, trust me. 
He did look good there though, and in that situation, that’s all you can ask of the guy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

No argument. I’m no fan of Zach, trust me. 
He did look good there though, and in that situation, that’s all you can ask of the guy.

I would’ve asked for him to trounce Stidham in camp, but maybe I’m just a hater.

I think he will be able to stick somewhere as a backup. He has enough physical ability that some team will take a chance on him. He’s better than Easton Stick and the raiders qb room is pretty bad as examples.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

In baseball it’s called a 4A player, too good for triple-A but not good enough to stay in the majors.   Not sure what the NFL version of that is but it’s Zach.   He’s good enough to beat 2nd/3rd string defenses but when the game speeds up he just panics.  

Or maybe, just maybe the jets don't know what they're doing???

Christian Bale Idk GIF

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Barkus said:

I think he will be able to stick somewhere as a backup. He has enough physical ability that some team will take a chance on him. He’s better than Easton Stick and the raiders qb room is pretty bad as examples.

You may be right that he will land a QB2 job, but your premise is flawed otherwise Jamarcus Russel’s career wouldn’t have ended 15 years ago when he was 24.