Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Saleh has a top 10 defense for 2 years now. developed guys like Huff, Quincy and Adams. you can question Saleh on alot of things but when it comes to defense he knows what he is doing. if he cuts those guys i would trust he is making the right choice.

Normally in that situation, I would trust the HC, but anyone who saw the games, read the reports and saw the video clips from the joint practices knows how Taylor, Stiggers, JBC, and McGregor played, especially JBC.  In this scenario, I'd think that Saleh had lost his mind, because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no one else on the Jets roster that will be getting cut is more talented or played better than those 5 young players did.  It wouldn't just be my opinion, either, because every other Jets fan and sportswriter who has seen them play has raved about the 5 of those players.

In addition, what's Saleh's W-L record?  He has made plenty of mistakes with the Jets, so I have little trust in his judgment and ability to coach until the team starts winning and playing smart, disciplined football week in and week out.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TinFoil said:

I disagree with the previous post that Izzy has been better than Isiah Davis in training camp and the preseason.
I’m much more impressed by Davis.

in my humble opinion.

Wait, what....haven't you seen Izzy's new spin move?  But yeah and none the less, there is  no room for Izzy on the 53.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GreenFish said:

lol. What’s the story behind all the negative reps?

I am the founding father of the reputable reputation system on this site 

look at all the hate and vitriol in that thread :rl: 

Anyways, when I was a mod we had vBulletin forum software and rep was different, either green or red and you’d leave a comment (which was private in your user control panel)

it had to be calibrated in the beginning and that was a pain in the ass. Anyways, there were some annoying spam posters back then  jetfan16 the mate idiot. DWC and jr128 who has basically grown up on this site. So, those individuals would be subjugated by the BP neg rep bomb. When I retired as a mod back in 2009 I think jr128 was at -128,000 points and after I left @Thor99 doubled it.

Now it’s a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Thanks

BP

JN Historian 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, C Mart said:

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Important note as teams construct their initial 53-man rosters:

NFL teams were informed that the NFLPA vetoed the revised Emergency 3rd Quarterback rule that would have allowed teams to elevate a bona fide QB from the practice squad an unlimited number of times.

So, the rule reverted to the 2023 version, which says the emergency third QB must be on the 53-man roster, not an elevation.

Don't love that, especially since it could make it harder for the Jets to find another QB3 (if they wanted one)

Unrelated, I've seen articles from multiple other team websites and fanblogs indicating they think they should grab cut defensive talent from the Jets ... Including the chiefs, patriots and (you guessed it) Giants. Let's hope the GMs aren't thinking the same as the fans and want to keep it in house! Would be very disappointed to lose someone like McGregor from the practice squad. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

An interesting tweak to injured reserve rules, which will help the Jets (and every other team) with their roster gymnastics at the cutdown:

One other March adjustment to IR rules remains unchanged: at the final roster cutdown, a team may designate up to two players already on their Reserve/Injured list to be available for return during the season. (Previously, players were required to be on a team’s 53-man roster for at least one day before they could be returned from Reserve/Injured during the season).

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/6/21/24183076/nfl-tweaks-injured-reserve-rules-for-2024-season

This would allow the Jets to put, say, Jordan Travis and one other player, onto IR before the 53 is set and still have them eligible to return this year.

2 hours ago, BP said:

I am the founding father of the reputable reputation system on this site 

look at all the hate and vitriol in that thread :rl: 

Anyways, when I was a mod we had vBulletin forum software and rep was different, either green or red and you’d leave a comment (which was private in your user control panel)

it had to be calibrated in the beginning and that was a pain in the ass. Anyways, there were some annoying spam posters back then  jetfan16 the mate idiot. DWC and jr128 who has basically grown up on this site. So, those individuals would be subjugated by the BP neg rep bomb. When I retired as a mod back in 2009 I think jr128 was at -128,000 points and after I left @Thor99 doubled it.

Now it’s a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Thanks

BP

JN Historian 

Rep comments were great. That’s one feature I miss. 

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

An interesting tweak to injured reserve rules, which will help the Jets (and every other team) with their roster gymnastics at the cutdown:

This would allow the Jets to put, say, Jordan Travis and one other player, onto IR before the 53 is set and still have them eligible to return this year.

I don't think it helps the Jets much.  The only guys I think are on IR are Malik Taylor, Jimmy Ciarlo and Marcus Riley.  Taylor is the only one I think could be worthy of 2024 snaps.  o is on the NFI list.  I was hoping Ciarlo might be practice squad ready.  Red shirt year probably helps him and Travis.  Does this subtract from how many guys they can designate to return in season?  Otherwise I'd have weondered if they could IR Holmes who supposedly got hurt.  I'm not sure howbadly.  

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think it helps the Jets much.  The only guys I think are on IR are Malik Taylor, Jimmy Ciarlo and Marcus Riley.  Taylor is the only one I think could be worthy of 2024 snaps.  o is on the NFI list.  I was hoping Ciarlo might be practice squad ready.  Red shirt year probably helps him and Travis.  Does this subtract from how many guys they can designate to return in season?  Otherwise I'd have weondered if they could IR Holmes who supposedly got hurt.  I'm not sure howbadly.  

Could get creative. One of the OL hurt in the jints game, Newman or Mitchell, slip them into the IR as an extra body there and save the roster spot for another player who might contribute on specials? 

Not really suggesting it, just spit-balling. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It means they can place a couple of guys carrying shorter-term injuries into IR before the roster is set at 53, and still have them eligible to return. In the past, if you put anyone onto IR before the roster was at 53, you automatically lost them for the year.

So if, say, Holmes is carrying a 3 or 4 week injury, you can put him onto IR now, before the roster is at 53, and still get him back this year. In the meantime, you can use that roster spot for a younger guy, let's say McGregor, without having to risk waiving them in the hope of sneaking them onto the PS.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Could get creative. One of the OL hurt in the jints game, Newman or Mitchell, slip them into the IR as an extra body there and save the roster spot for another player who might contribute on specials? 

Not really suggesting it, just spit-balling. 

Codrington.

9 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It means they can place a couple of guys carrying shorter-term injuries into IR before the roster is set at 53, and still have them eligible to return. In the past, if you put anyone onto IR before the roster was at 53, you automatically lost them for the year.

So if, say, Holmes is carrying a 3 or 4 week injury, you can put him onto IR now, before the roster is at 53, and still get him back this year. In the meantime, you can use that roster spot for a younger guy, let's say McGregor, without having to risk waiving them in the hope of sneaking them onto the PS.

I understand that.  Isn't there a limit to how many guys that you can put on IR and bring back?  If this detracted from that to the point where they couldn't use it in season would be the issue.  A guy like Holmes, or, as @slats mentioned Newman or Mitchell who were also dinged, might be good candidates.  Right now none of those guys are on the IR and if they aren't hurt badly enough they could run the risk of fines or grievances if they players don't want to be on IR.  They probably had to do that on Sunday.  I don't know how they will pull that off on Black Tuesday.  It's a tool, but I don't think it will help them this year.

9 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Wait, what....haven't you seen Izzy's new spin move?  But yeah and none the less, there is  no room for Izzy on the 53.  

Why not?  We typically roll with 4 RBs, don't we?  If Izzy makes the team, who gets the axe that we can't afford to lose?

QB:  Rodgers, Taylor

RB:  Breece, Allen, Davis, Izzy

WR:  Garrett, Williams, Corley, Lazard, Gipson, Brownlee

TE:  Conklin, Ruckert, Yeboah

OT:  Smith, Moses, Fashanu, Warren, Mitchell

IOL:  Tipp, AVT, Simpson, Schweitzer, Newman

DE:  JJ, McDonald, Clemons, Takk, McGregor

DT:  Quinnen, Kinlaw, Fotu, Thomas, LT3

LB:  Mosley, Quincy, Sherwood, Barnes, Surratt

CB:  Sauce, Reed, Carter II, Echols, Stiggers, JBC

S:  Adams, Clark, Davis, Oliver

K:  Zuerlein

P:  Morstead

LS:  Hennessey

Who are we losing because of Izzy?  Watts?  Codrington?  If anything maybe we let Surratt go if they feel like they can't afford to lose one of those guys.  If Izzy doesn't make it, it'll probably be in favor of another offensive player.  Charles?  He's purely ST and it looks like they have bodies to fill his spot effectively.  Who else?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Why not?  We typically roll with 4 RBs, don't we?  If Izzy makes the team, who gets the axe that we can't afford to lose?

I don’t think Abanikanda brings enough to the table to hold a roster spot for him. He’s your backup speed back, but those guys are generally used in the passing game and Izzy is the worst receiver in the RB room. They had him in on some specials, but it’s not like he’s an important piece there, either. 

If I’m the Jets, I’m scouring the waiver wire for RBs I like better to fill that RB4 spot. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think Abanikanda brings enough to the table to hold a roster spot for him. He’s your backup speed back, but those guys are generally used in the passing game and Izzy is the worst receiver in the RB room. They had him in on some specials, but it’s not like he’s an important piece there, either. 

If I’m the Jets, I’m scouring the waiver wire for RBs I like better to fill that RB4 spot. 

Izzy is straight line fast but not as elusive as i thought.  He’s not a returner either.  He’s a jag.  

Mike Williams (knee) will begin taking 11-on-11 reps in Jets practice Tuesday.

It’s perfectly-timed progression with the Jets’ opener now less than two weeks away. The 29-year-old could still be up against it to be fully ready for Week 1, but at worst, he’s going to miss a game or two. Most likely is that he’ll be active for the opener but perhaps on a snap count.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll actually be pretty damn livid if Clemons makes it over guys like Taylor, Takk and even McGregor.

This goofy bitch is still living off of his “Negan” TC appearance two years ago and since then he’s gotten punked in just about every “altercation” he’s found himself in. Including getting clowned by bitch t!ts Dion Dawson. He’s much more likely to get hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct flag than make a legit splash play.

He’s also about 3 years older than I thought he was (27).

I get the dumb penalties were costly last year...but Clemons is a good player...on a cheap deal...with experience.  Talk of cutting him is crazy to me. 

He also turned 27 less than a week ago...by no means 'old'

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:
Mike Williams (knee) will begin taking 11-on-11 reps in Jets practice Tuesday.

It’s perfectly-timed progression with the Jets’ opener now less than two weeks away. The 29-year-old could still be up against it to be fully ready for Week 1, but at worst, he’s going to miss a game or two. Most likely is that he’ll be active for the opener but perhaps on a snap count.

My guess is that he starts, but that Lazard might have more snaps at the end of the day. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Call it a feeling, but I've believed Izzy isn't as on the outs with the Jets as fans here make out, and that he will make the 53 as the #3 RB, with 4 total RB's being kept.  I suppose we'll find out today, eh.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Call it a feeling, but I've believed Izzy isn't as on the outs with the Jets as fans here make out, and that he will make the 53 as the #3 RB, with 4 total RB's being kept.  I suppose we'll find out today, eh.

I think if this were the case, Izzy would’ve had the jints game off, and we would’ve seen a lot more of Isaiah Davis, instead. Imho, Izzy’s looking at RB4 at best. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah I just don't see it.  Maybe if the argument was to just carry 3 RBs, but I don't see them replacing a guy they just drafted a year ago coming off a solid camp with some other camp casualty.  

You can always find Bam Knight's and Ty Johnson's during the season if you need to.  Izzy earned his opportunity though.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I think if this were the case, Izzy would’ve had the jints game off, and we would’ve seen a lot more of Isaiah Davis, instead. Imho, Izzy’s looking at RB4 at best. 

Seems reasonable.  

No surprise.

Jets placed QB Jordan Travis (ankle) on the reserve/PUP list.
The Jets have been labeling the fifth-round rookie as behind schedule since the beginning of training camp. It’s not exactly encouraging but is hardly surprisingly considering the extremely serious nature of Travis’ college ailment. We probably aren’t going to see Travis taking real practice reps until next year’s offseason program.
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

My guess is that he starts, but that Lazard might have more snaps at the end of the day. 

I heard on sports radio the other day that Lazard had a good camp and might be a way more important piece than most people might expect.  I couldn't stand the guy last year but I'd be more than happy for him to overachieve this year.  I think we can cut him after this year at very little cost so hopefully he's playing for his next contract.  He's supposed to be a terrific run blocker, btw.  I remember last offseason thinking that between him and Corey Davis (another good run blocker), that might be a secret weapon for us.  Maybe it will be this year.

• Upvote 2