New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

This is all speculation.  Reddick has no leverage playing on a one year prove it deal.  He can just as easily suffer a major injury and never see another dime. 

He had his single best season after, not before getting paid by the Eagles.  There is no indication that Reddick will dog it after getting paid.   If he gets hurt he has no NFL future.

That’s why they write professional athlete disability policies.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think so, but fire away if I'm wrong.

• SCENARIO A = If he collects $15MM and then has $5MM in preseason fines, he only pays income taxes on $10MM because the $5MM in fines is tax deductible charity: the gov't treats the donated amount as non-taxable income. 
  • SCENARIO B = If his contract calls for $15MM in pay, has no actual fines (say he staged a hold-in) but then held out the first 6 games at ~$800K (call it $5MM in game checks) then the team never actually pays him that first $5MM, they only pay him the $10MM in game checks after that, and therefore he only pays income taxes on the $10MM he received. 

Therefore either scenario is the same thing to the player.

However from the team's standpoint (specifically, the team's salary cap):

• In SCENARIO A, the team fully pays out $15MM in salary, so $15MM hits the team's salary cap. The $5MM in fines has nothing to do with the team (other than they may facilitate the payment by paying the charity directly instead of paying the player who then pays the charity; it's still the player's money that goes to the charity: if it didn't go to charity it would go to the player, not kept by the team).
  • In SCENARIO B, the team only paid out $10MM in salary, and never paid the other $5MM to the player (or to charity on the player's behalf), so only $10MM hits the team's salary cap.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. 

Right, this is correct... Maybe I read your first post wrong it seemed like you meant to say this but you switched it... Either way... What you said above is correct 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

This sounds like the time when the Jets replaced Coles with Curtis Conway because Coles was too expensive and the fans rationalized it. Of course Huff and Reddick are related. 

They both play football? Good stuff, Matt! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Genuine question: What if he comes back before the deadline for his year to accrue and then just fake an injury right away? 

It's not easy to fake an injury - but not really sure what this gets him.   who is going to give him a big contract after a holdout and then injury.

he's gotten bad advice,  he's not of the same caliber as others who have held out (in, which is smarter).

after this week - which is when they could have really used him -  they have a pretty easy schedule until the bills in week 6.  so if he reports, let him come for the last 12 weeks of the season.

• Upvote 2

Frankly..I really don’t know what to think or who should get more blame for the lack of a resolution.  We just know that a creation of a “win/win” proposal hasn’t been successful.  You’d think the fines, game checks lost..would be persuasive..but when pride/ego/stubbornness, etc, are likely in the mix..’rational decision making’ goes out the window.  It’s psychology 101. 

Edited by Greg555
Correction
  • Upvote 1

Frankly..I really don’t know what to think or who should get more blame for the lack of a resolution.  We just know that a creation of a “win/win” proposal hasn’t been successful.  You’d think the fines, money lost..would be persuasive..but when pride/ego/stubbornness, etc, are likely in the mix..’rational decision making’ goes out the window.  It’s psychology 101. 
When Hassan wakes up and realizes his only way out is to play ... Things will change.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

Did they get the opportunity to make the same trade though? I mean, does the GM advertise to all 31 other owners what they've been offered, and see if there are any takers? I get that in some cases there is a to and fro between interested teams, but it doesn't seem like it's the done thing to say "hey, I've got a 2026 3rd rounder on the table for Reddick, anyone want to bid higher before I take the deal?"

I don’t think he literally goes to all 31 other GMs and asks if they want to beat the deal before he makes the trade — but yes, I think GMs do substantial due diligence to make sure they’re getting the best deal they can. So I think we can assume there wasn’t anyone willing to offer better than what we traded for him.

5 hours ago, slats said:

Huff didn’t want to be here and the Jets didn’t want to sign him to a long term deal, so why would they do that? 

We’ll see if Huff becomes an every down player or not. So far he’s still not. 

Isnt Huff playing tonight? I just realized that... Cannot WAIT to see this. I expect him to sack Jordan Love 5 times minimim, now that he'll be on the field all day. Lol. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

At what point is the season forfeited for him and he has to play on his contract next season for the jets? For example can he come back week 17, collect one game check and be a free agent next season? Or, is there a point of no return for him?

Week 7

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

this is a terrible look for joe but his fanboys always have an excuse

he traded for a guy that is not playing -the rest is just noise

once again results matter in the real world.

True. Terrible look.

still a fanboy, Jets have a SB roster-

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, kmnj said:

this is a terrible look for joe but his fanboys always have an excuse

he traded for a guy that is not playing -the rest is just noise

once again results matter in the real world.

I agree, 2022 draft. Quincy, Huff, Michael Carter, DJ Reed, Tony Adams. Quinton Jefferson to a lesser extent. 2 first rounders for Jamal. If this is excuse making or being a fanboy, then I think it's a valid excuse. Point is he's not a "bum" gm.

Edited by BradSmith16fan
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

Ok. I'm seeing these, week 10, mostly "after week 6" 

What is it, exactly? Week 13 sounds like WAY late. 

Does it have any connection to the season counting as an accrued season? This is how the CBA defines an accrued season. Pretty freaking vague.

Section 1
Accrued Seasons Calculation

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

(b) A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club’s preseason training camp on that player’s mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Does it have any connection to the season counting as an accrued season? This is how the CBA defines an accrued season. Pretty freaking vague.

Section 1
Accrued Seasons Calculation

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

(b) A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club’s preseason training camp on that player’s mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

6 regular season games... As I said

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Imagine sacrificing over 5mill all in the hope that your soon to be teammates aren’t good week 1 or one of them get injured.

Last thing I’d do as a defensive and especially DE teammate, would be welcome him with open arms next week.

Great Point.

Imagine no one gets hurt and they play great on Monday.

He enters the facility with the rumors swirling that he hoped they failed or got injured.

Something tells me that Colonel Nathan Jessup orders a "Code Red".

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Great Point.

Imagine no one gets hurt and they play great on Monday.

He enters the facility with the rumors swirling that he hoped they failed or got injured.

Something tells me that Colonel Nathan Jessup orders a "Code Red".

But you can also imagine...

Purdy sitting comfortable in the pocket while picking apart the Jets with Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and McCaffery.   What happens then to Joe's, I won't even talk to him unless he's here, stand?  

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes by week 13... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18.... 6 games

Jets also have a bye in week 12... So maybe he comes by then to finish out the season for 5 mill or whatever is left... 

Another note... After week 4 the team can go after signing bonuses if they want to add more fines... Not sure how it works for a player traded. 1/18th per week... Up to a full years worth of signing bonus 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

But you can also imagine...

Purdy sitting comfortable in the pocket while picking apart the Jets with Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and McCaffery.   What happens then to Joe's, I won't even talk to him unless he's here, stand?  

Yeah probably... His stance won't change... But if you think that quinnen or jj can't get to the passer with the top CB trio in the league than the jets have bigger issues. 

SF interior OL is a major issue... 

Reddick is routing for the jets D to fail... Basically... And if they don't... His legs get chopped from under him... And if they do fail, the jets will just see this as the toughest opponents in their schedule... 

Either way the jets don't owe him anything... He is a nice to have... Not a necessity.. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Green jacket gold jacket who gives a sh*t 

SO when Reddick does show up... Probably after week 1... What's the difference? They don't NEED him until playoffs. So why not consider this a trade deadline deal. Then its a winning move... but because it happened before the season started its a failure.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

SO when Reddick does show up... Probably after week 1... What's the difference? They don't NEED him until playoffs. So why not consider this a trade deadline deal. Then its a winning move... but because it happened before the season started its a failure.

Typically when you bring on a player you expect them to play. Reddick has made it clear he doesn’t plan on doing that.