New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

Just now, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Reddick can budge his ass on a bus back to Philly for all I care.  

I get that but it is still true that we are in a Super Bowl or bust two year span. And unless WMD, Tak, Eric Watts, or Mcgregor make meteoric jumps (which is possible but still uncertain) than we’re going to be missing a much needed piece. 

Reddicks obviously a fool and I don’t want him long term but if I’m watching a QB carve out defense because we can’t put pressure than I’m gunna be pissed. 

hopefully one of Tak, WMD, Mcgregor or Watts get going early 

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, mfmartin said:

Not going to cave, did yall see him cave to the Packers?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Woody didn’t help, but ya he did.. Remember said they wanted 2 firsts and then some 🤣. At least JD got the conditional and gave up 2nd as opposed to outright 1st. The Reddick trade should have had broader range of compensation. Like only a 4th or 5th if the doosh holds out and misses a game. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You've got it backwards. 6 regular season games is a material period of time, meaning if he failed to perform for that length of time, the contract tolls

Dude

player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award),

Not sure if it can be more clear.. 

You are wrong. 

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Dude

player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award),

Not sure if it can be more clear.. 

You are wrong. 

Accrued seasons and contract tolling are two different things

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Accrued seasons and contract tolling are two different things

The relevant language is this language in the player contract:

EXTENSION. Unless this contract specifically provides otherwise, if Player becomes a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or any other country, or retires from professional football as an active player, or otherwise fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract, then this contract will be tolled between the date of Player’s induction into the Armed Forces, or his retirement, or his failure or refusal to perform, and the later date of his return to professional football. During the period this contract is tolled, Player will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits. On Player’s return to professional football, the term of this contract will be extended for a period of time equal to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of one) remaining at the time the contract was tolled. The right of renewal, if any, contained in this contract will remain in effect until the end of any such extended term. 

• WTF? 1

I don’t understand what you are not understanding. It happens a lot more than you appear to know  remember how wide of compensation range of the Brett farve trade ? Let me remind you lol. 

4th round pick . The draft pick traded for Favre turns into a third-round selection if he plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.
And Reddick's trade deal is structured in this way already - if he plays less than 60% of snaps (with 0% being in that category) then the compensation is less.

So what else should have been in the trade terms??

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Really ? If eagles were that confident that Reddick would report they wouldn’t have mind adding another condition . You are saying that wouldn’t because why because they knew this was a likely outcome, furthering the belief that they fleeced JD ? That is very likely.

All of this was presumably figured into the value of the trade. That’s how the Jets acquired an elite edge rusher in his prime for the equivalent of a fifth round pick. Fleeced? Jeez. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It won’t happen, but it’s a cute fan driven thought 
Letting him go for less than fair value after spending capital to acquire him .. out of spite .. would be immature and foolish .. Joe D won't do that.

On 9/6/2024 at 10:51 PM, Jack Straw said:

The Jets acquired Reddick April 1st.

At that time, Yannick Ngakoue, Jadeveon Clowney, Shaq Lawson, Randy Gregory were on the open market.

They’re not on the market now because it’s September 7th.

So the money is useless. There is nobody left to sign today, but at the time of the Reddick acquisition, there was.

Do you get it now?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Your first response dealt with the money.  I responded.
Now you’re onto the guys we could have signed that are nowhere near Reddicks level, that we have no idea would interest the FO.  We tried for Clowney but he wanted more money and we moved on, didn’t he.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Letting him go for less than fair value after spending capital to acquire him .. out of spite .. would be immature and foolish .. Joe D won't do that.

It IS fair value. What do you mean out of spite? Keeping him on the roster when he is refusing to play a down for the team would be out of spite. IF Reddick refuses to ever play for the Jets, he will be gone in 2025. They will not hold on to his rights because they can’t get what they paid.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

You just keep repeating the same thing.

1) Who are you signing for $15M on September 7th?

2) What happens when you sign this expensive ghost and Reddick shows up?

Sans restructuring a bunch of contracts, it's faux money that can effectively only be used in 2025.

I am?  

You just can’t seem to get this is on Reddick.  He’s the FU. Bringing him onto the team was a great move for the roster.  Move on, he’ll eventually be running down QBs for the Jets.  

I think the way this works is:

1) JD screwed up by trading for Reddick

2) JD screwed up by not paying Reddick whatever he wants which deprived me of the chance to say how he screwed up by overpaying him

3) JD screwed up by not releasing him which deprived me of the chance to say how he screwed up by getting nothing back for him

Essentially, some people seem to be mad because JD isn't giving them the fuel to further their narrative.

At this point, Reddick costs us nothing to retain and it would be foolish to just release him.  Some team will throw something our way for him at some point.   Maybe not equal value to what we traded but likely something close.  Or....we can release him and he will sign somewhere next season and net us a comp pick which will be almost equivalent.

Either way, it was a gamble that didn't work out.  Big deal.  There are far better reasons to like/dislike JD but this one feels like a 'hill to die on' for some folks out here because everything else seems to be going pretty well at the moment from a roster perspective and that just won't do.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

It IS fair value. What do you mean out of spite? Keeping him on the roster when he is refusing to play a down for the team would be out of spite. IF Reddick refuses to ever play for the Jets, he will be gone in 2025. They will not hold on to his rights because they can’t get what they paid.
They will do exactly that until a team offers fair value ... If Reddick wants to torpedo his career it's on him .. Joe D is betting he won't do that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

They will do exactly that until a team offers fair value ... If Reddick wants to torpedo his career it's on him .. Joe D is betting he won't do that.

If you honestly believe after sitting out the entirety of 2024, Douglas will hold his rights for 2025 and deal with the headache instead of unloading him for a 5th round pick, you’re mistaken. The Jets get absolutely nothing in that scenario. They will cut their losses. They will not hold him in 2025 out of spite.

49 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

If you honestly believe after sitting out the entirety of 2024, Douglas will hold his rights for 2025 and deal with the headache instead of unloading him for a 5th round pick, you’re mistaken. The Jets get absolutely nothing in that scenario. They will cut their losses. They will not hold him in 2025 out of spite.

There is no way Reddick wins this .. no way at all.  The Jets will hold onto him or trade him and get value .. at this point he is a tradable asset. Reddick will wake up and play ... and then either be traded or walk for comp pick value. This isn't hard.

Edited by Dunnie

33 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

There is no way Reddick wins this .. no way at all.  The Jets will hold onto him or trade him and get value .. at this point he is a tradable asset. Reddick will wake up and play ... and then either be traded or walk for comp pick value. This isn't hard.

I think you’re a little lost here. This is under the assumption he sits out all of 2024. In which case he’s already lost and so have the Jets. There is no winner in this scenario. 

I think you’re a little lost here. This is under the assumption he sits out all of 2024. In which case he’s already lost and so have the Jets. There is no winner in this scenario. 
I think we are going in circles and completely disagree with each other. Time will prove this out.

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think we are going in circles and completely disagree with each other. Time will prove this out.

There is no example of a player ever refusing to play for a franchise and then not moved. None.

we can definitely revisit this if it plays out 

There is no example of a player ever refusing to play for a franchise and then not moved. None.
we can definitely revisit this if it plays out 
Have you been reading my posts ?? I never said he would not be moved. I simply said the Jets will get value.

I’m not going to let this guy who has never contributed a single play for the Jets to ruin my excitement for this season. 

He can seriously go jump off a cliff or **** himself or both. Let’s go Jets! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Have you been reading my posts ?? I never said he would not be moved. I simply said the Jets will get value.

And the “value” will be whatever the best offer is, which is more than likely less than he paid. The stance will not be “I want X amount or we are not moving him”.   Douglas, just like Reddick at that point, will have to take whatever they can get.

I’ve said before and others here have also in some form..’ego, stubbornness, etc..often trump common sense and rational thinking.  
Reddick and his agent will just not cave..in effect saying ‘you win..we’ll sign on your terms.’

self defeating..and irrational for sure..but not surprising 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I am?  

You just can’t seem to get this is on Reddick.  He’s the FU. Bringing him onto the team was a great move for the roster.  Move on, he’ll eventually be running down QBs for the Jets.  

The man is not suiting up, so how this is a "great move" is pretty laughable. I honestly don't even care all that much about the trade - but going out and repeatedly saying "this cost us nothing" is dumb and wrong. It cost us a third round draft pick and is putting $15M in cap space in a freeze -- so it's certainly not nothing.

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The man is not suiting up, so how this is a "great move" is pretty laughable. I honestly don't even care all that much about the trade - but going out and repeatedly saying "this cost us nothing" is dumb and wrong. It cost us a third round draft pick and is putting $15M in cap space in a freeze -- so it's certainly not nothing.

He was a 13 sack, top NFL EDGE that they added to an already top DL.  
You list a Clowney over adding Reddick.  I take Reddick.  No one knew he was going back on his word at the time of the trade.  It’s not that hard, they got the best player available.  Best by a wide margin.  You don’t get this.  Let’s move on

A fresh perspective on the framing around Reddick-Jets:

After reading some of the opinions here I think the framing of the impasse is not quite right.

People think that Reddick has no leverage, and can't quite see the rationale for his hold out. This is incorrect. Reddick absolutely has leverage and from a negotiating perspective is a rational actor:

People are framing this is a JD v Reddick thing. It is not. Sure, JD wants to win a Superbowl, but as a GM he's also responsible for the roster long-term. He is dug in because he's doing his job. The negotiations are hard-ball and the opposition has an extreme position. But Team Reddick is not negotiating with JD. They are negotiating with Woody Johnson. Woody Johnson is the guy that will intercede and say pay him, and if he doesn't it is Woody Johnson that is responsible for not maximizing his GM's actions, it will be Woody Johnson that is responsible for not maximizing the Super Bowl window. Make no mistake Woody wants a Super Bowl. With Aaron Rodgers, the window is now. The window is open for like 1-2 years? It's now, it's not really even next year tbh. If the Jets don't win a Superbowl this year, with this roster, with what JD has put together, the season is a failure, and it's diminishing returns going forward each year as AR ages every year and not like a Roquefort.

The big question that will be asked after this year if the Jets do not sign Reddick, and he doesn't fold, and we don't win the superbowl, or lose to KC in the AFCCG: Why didn't they pay Reddick in order to put the roster over the top?  Why didn't they maximize the roster when they had the chance? Why did they squander a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity with A-Rod over concerns about the future of the roster when the future is irrelevant. For this team, this roster, against the likes of SF and the Chiefs, they are either all-in on a superbowl or they are just being cheap. 

Is Reddick engaging in brinksmanship? Yes. Does that often look like that individual has no leverage? Yes.

What should Woody Johnson do? Go for it with the best roster since Vinny T was QB and Parcells was HC? Or sub-optimize the roster now so he can disburse funds sign xyz players to second contracts when this window has either completely closed and/or is not guaranteed?

The Window is now is Reddick's leverage. And it's a very smart but risky negotiating strategy.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

46 minutes ago, Vader said:

A fresh perspective on the framing around Reddick-Jets:

After reading some of the opinions here I think the framing of the impasse is not quite right.

People think that Reddick has no leverage, and can't quite see the rationale for his hold out. This is incorrect. Reddick absolutely has leverage and from a negotiating perspective is a rational actor:

People are framing this is a JD v Reddick thing. It is not. Sure, JD wants to win a Superbowl, but as a GM he's also responsible for the roster long-term. He is dug in because he's doing his job. The negotiations are hard-ball and the opposition has an extreme position. But Team Reddick is not negotiating with JD. They are negotiating with Woody Johnson. Woody Johnson is the guy that will intercede and say pay him, and if he doesn't it is Woody Johnson that is responsible for not maximizing his GM's actions, it will be Woody Johnson that is responsible for not maximizing the Super Bowl window. Make no mistake Woody wants a Super Bowl. With Aaron Rodgers, the window is now. The window is open for like 1-2 years? It's now, it's not really even next year tbh. If the Jets don't win a Superbowl this year, with this roster, with what JD has put together, the season is a failure, and it's diminishing returns going forward each year as AR ages every year and not like a Roquefort.

The big question that will be asked after this year if the Jets do not sign Reddick, and he doesn't fold, and we don't win the superbowl, or lose to KC in the AFCCG: Why didn't they pay Reddick in order to put the roster over the top?  Why didn't they maximize the roster when they had the chance? Why did they squander a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity with A-Rod over concerns about the future of the roster when the future is irrelevant. For this team, this roster, against the likes of SF and the Chiefs, they are either all-in on a superbowl or they are just being cheap. 

Is Reddick engaging in brinksmanship? Yes. Does that often look like that individual has no leverage? Yes.

What should Woody Johnson do? Go for it with the best roster since Vinny T was QB and Parcells was HC? Or sub-optimize the roster now so he can disburse funds sign xyz players to second contracts when this window has either completely closed and/or is not guaranteed?

The Window is now is Reddick's leverage. And it's a very smart but risky negotiating strategy.

Can you address why he didn’t hold in?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Can you address why he didn’t hold in?

it's a maxi-max strategy. If he reports, he loses all leverage on "a highest possible payoff among all of the possible outcomes", and he risks injury. I can't speak to why except to say looking at the situation, the Jets are in a one-year superbowl window.