Robert Saleh will still be under .500 even with a first place finish this year

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I liked Saleh when they hired him. I thought he was crazy for keeping Ulbrich after year one. I was wrong. Ulbrich has been good (last night aside), so I respect Saleh for keeping him.

Overall, though, Saleh is clearly and deservedly on the hot seat. Which got me thinking about his career record:

image.png

If the Jets win the division and go 12 and 4 the rest of the way, he still ends up under .500 for his career. That would put him at 30 and 35.

He would have to have back to back seasons similar to that to surpass .500.

What is my point? Saleh has no time left to waste. Want us to believe it was Zach Wilson holding you back? Ok. Go out and prove it. Starting on Sunday because if this team doesn't win the next two and a minimum, it is going to get late early.

Of course if the Jets win the next 16 and finish 16 and 1, that would put him at 34 and 34 for his career. I am not holding my breath either.

Timeoutgate should be exhibit A. Embarrassing. 

Exhibit B has to be not playing the starters in preseason AT ALL, a new OL, with basically new QB... 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I liked Saleh when they hired him. I thought he was crazy for keeping Ulbrich after year one. I was wrong. Ulbrich has been good (last night aside), so I respect Saleh for keeping him.

Overall, though, Saleh is clearly and deservedly on the hot seat. Which got me thinking about his career record:

image.png

If the Jets win the division and go 12 and 4 the rest of the way, he still ends up under .500 for his career. That would put him at 30 and 35.

He would have to have back to back seasons similar to that to surpass .500.

What is my point? Saleh has no time left to waste. Want us to believe it was Zach Wilson holding you back? Ok. Go out and prove it. Starting on Sunday because if this team doesn't win the next two and a minimum, it is going to get late early.

Of course if the Jets win the next 16 and finish 16 and 1, that would put him at 34 and 34 for his career. I am not holding my breath either.

IIRC I was in favor of the hire back then.  I knew the Jets were a rebuild and he seemed like a reasonably good candidate at the time.  But this is year 4 now and he is out of every last excuse at this point.  He has a healthy Aaron Rodgers now.  He has a defense that has a lot of talent.  He has 3 full seasons of experience.  He said something like "just give me a chance with a real QB".

He has everything he needs right now and we have winnable games coming up.  It's time to cut the BS and start getting us wins.  I want 3-0 in the next 3 games (at Tennessee, vs New England, vs Denver).  Will he go 3-0?  I have a lot of skepticism about that.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC I was in favor of the hire back then.  I knew the Jets were a rebuild and he seemed like a reasonably good candidate at the time.  But this is year 4 now and he is out of every last excuse at this point.  He has a healthy Aaron Rodgers now.  He has a defense that has a lot of talent.  He has 3 full seasons of experience.  He said something like "just give me a chance with a real QB".

He has everything he needs right now and we have winnable games coming up.  It's time to cut the BS and start getting us wins.  I want 3-0 in the next 3 games (at Tennessee, vs New England, vs Denver).  Will he go 3-0?  I have a lot of skepticism about that.

I agree with all of that. He needs to win the next three games. No reason not to.

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I hate not playing the starters at all. I get the caution around Rodgers but damn they extended the list pretty far.

A guy without a care or that was a collective decision from him, management,  and ownership. Either way, it was a terrible decision. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

A guy without a care or that was a collective decision from management and ownership. Either way, it was a terrible decision. 

It was only a terrible decision if you wanted the defense to tackle in week one and stop the run. Otherwise it was fine.

Just now, Maxman said:

It was only a terrible decision if you wanted the defense to tackle in week one and stop the run. Otherwise it was fine.

Or the oline to block. How do you not play AVT in the preseason coming off of not playing really last year? Why didn’t Kinlaw play? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Or the oline to block. How do you not play AVT in the preseason coming off of not playing really last year? Why didn’t Kinlaw play? 

When AVT didn't play in the preseason I just thought it meant he was going to sit out week one. Very odd.

• Upvote 3

• I think in all honesty given the WC MNF game against the second best team in the NFL with perhaps the best HC who has Saleh’s number, Saleh basically conceded the game.  To Saleh, this was the first pre season game.  I can’t say I disagree with him. 
  • Saleh is a politician.  He can’t have starters getting hurt in the preseason.  Regular season, fine.  The strategy made sense to him.  
  • It does not matter what Saleh’s overall record is.  From my perspective, he is starting this season at 0-0.  He learned a lot.  Let’s see what he can do this year.  If he can produce a winning record, the Jets should take that seriously.  If he can’t, he is gone.  
  • Upvote 1

the only thing that can turn Saleh around is performance. Ofc I'm rooting for him but it looks like an uphill climb for him. If they wind up wining a SB with him he's no doubt going to be legendarily controversial. Like did they win in spite of him?

When we had Rex it was obvious we could win in spite of the team's disadvantages (we were always underdogs against all-time greats, which he actually beat) because Rex was genius. You don't get that vibe w Saleh. When has he ever won something that matters? When has he won something in spite of incredible disadvantage versus something similar to Peyton Manning or Bill Bellichick? Due to his own mastery of some aspect of the game?

His very cautious in public, won't rock the boat, cringe McKinsey-esque management style is as much a liability as Rex's braggadocio if they lose. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Short of a deep playoff run we need to clean house.

Yeah none of this wildcard bullsh*t. You don’t go “all in” and cut corners (completely undermining sustained success and building through the draft), to just sneak into the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

Every HC Woody's Jets have ever hired has been worse than the last at winning % (except Rex who tied his predecessor). So good news, Saleh only has to win 1 game this year to end that ignominious trend. Success through lowered expectations, baby!

image.thumb.png.92054157f038ce53ccebc4ec98540c86.png

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Every HC Woody's Jets have ever hired has been worse than the last at winning % (except Rex who tied his predecessor). So good news, Saleh only has to win 1 game this year to end that ignominious trend. Success through lowered expectations, baby!

image.thumb.png.92054157f038ce53ccebc4ec98540c86.png

This is amazing.  That is why we feel not that bad about Saleh.

In accounting there is a concept of sunk cost.  I do think that if Saleh is not the Jets HC in 2025, he will eventually get another chance like Bowles did.  Bowles’ record with the Bucs is better than his Jets record.  

It does not matter how Saleh performed with Zach Wilson, etc..  The question for Woody is how does he expect Saleh to perform going forward.    As I said in another thread, I think it’s 55% chance he is fired with JD.  Today.  

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Imo, Ulbrich is overrated.  He's okay but not great.  He has a very rigid system (e.g. won't let Sauce travel with the opposing WR1), doesn't blitz, and his defenses don't create turnovers. 

He gets a grade of "meets expectations" from me.  When he has a lot of talent, his defenses do well but I don't think of him as a guy who "does more with less".  

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I agree. A wild card berth and loss shouldn't save Saleh.

Woody is not firing the 1st HC in 14 years to get us to the playoffs the same year he gets us to the playoffs no matter when we get eliminated.

• Upvote 1