Jets defense vows to stop the run versus Titans after getting ‘embarrassed’ by 49ers.

ARodJetsFan

The answer, at least for him, was very much not in stride.

Not up to standard, not the norm, not in the team’s character.

That was how Jermaine Johnson described the Jets’ defensive performance in Week 1 two days after the team allowed the 49ers to run roughshod in a 32-19 victory, invoking the word “embarrassed” for good measure.

“Just wasn’t our standard. Obviously you get embarrassed, whatever, that’s out there. It is what it is,” Johnson said. “Now how are you gonna take it?”

Yes it is just one week, yes it was on the road against a very good 49ers team and no, nobody is hitting the panic button. But the Jets understand that coughing up eight straight scoring drives was no way to start the season.

In fact, given both the pedigree of the Jets defense and that the 49ers were missing Christian McCaffrey, it was fairly shocking, particularly the way San Francisco ran the ball, notching 180 yards on 38 carries.

“As a unit, we definitely need to get off the field on third downs,” Johnson said. “And I’d say the run game, we gotta set up edges not only on their D-line, but in the second and third levels. It was very easy to understand [the 49ers’] goal - their objective was to play the game outside the numbers with us, especially in the run game. Just get us running side to side. They did a good job of executing that.

“With that, as a defense we have to set edges, put up stop signs to turn the ball back to the rest of our defense. I feel like we as a group didn’t do a great job of that. Me, individually, they had very creative ways in capturing the edge, which I definitely should have stopped. Looking at the film, there’s definitely things I can fix.”

Jermaine Johnson (No. 11) gets blocked by Trent Williams during the Jets' 32-19 Week 1 loss to the 49ers. Jermaine Johnson (No. 11) gets blocked by Trent Williams during the Jets’ 32-19 Week 1 loss to the 49ers.Darren Yamash*ta-Imagn Images

Though the Niners might have employed some creative solutions to get holes for Jordan Mason in the run game, Johnson noted that other teams will use the same tactics now that they are on tape, until the Jets prove they can stop it.

“It’s a little surprising ’cause we pride ourselves on discipline and doing our jobs,” coach Robert Saleh said. “Felt like we got a little out of whack in that regard. Not gonna get into specific details, [we’ll] get it fixed. At the same time, just know we’re capable of much more. Not a physical thing, it was just guys trying to do a bit too much.”

Visiting the Titans this week presents a much less daunting challenge than playing San Francisco.

Tennessee ran the ball well last week in a loss to the Bears, rushing for 140 yards on 26 carries, but Will Levis threw for just 127 yards with two interceptions and looked like a work in progress.

If the Jets don’t look better this week, it will be a whole lot harder to brush it off.

“Everything and how they were breaking those runs — credit to [the 49ers], they have very talented players on that side of the ball — all those things, those are scheme and technique things. It’s not a lack of talent — that’s why I’m confident,” Johnson said. “The character of the guys we have in that locker room, the character of myself, I get to watch film. I understand what I can fix, what I can do better to make sure that’s put to bed.”

After getting his first ever Pro Bowl nod last season, Johnson placed himself at the forefront of what needs to be better for the Jets.

“That’s something I take very seriously and that was the first thing I said [to the team]. I stood up, ‘I’m sorry y’all. I let you all down. The edges were not what they should have been in my part,’ ” Johnson said. “All I can do is be a thumb-pointer. Look at film, see how I can fix it. That’s what I’m doing and that’s what I’m pretty sure every guy in this locker room is doing.”

Jets defense vows to stop the run for Week 2 vs. Titans (nypost.com)

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

We’re always promising and vowing. 

I'm not trying to equate the two situations here in terms of real-life impact obviously, but it's a bit like battered wife syndrome.

Saleh is the guy in the spaghetti-stained wife beater swearing and pleading:  "It'll never happen again.  I promise."

• Haha 3

"We need to trust the process"

"We worked really hard in the classroom all week to correct this"

"We play 17 games and that was only 1 game"

"there was a lot of plays in that game that we would like to have back"

"we will learn from Monday night"

"we have had a good week of practice" 

"Its sunny and 75 degrees, where the eff is my golf bag/"   ok maybe that wasnt one of his usual lines of BS 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I'm not trying to equate the two situations here in terms of real-life impact obviously, but it's a bit like battered wife syndrome.

Saleh is the guy in the spaghetti-stained wife beater swearing and pleading:  "It'll never happen again.  I promise."

I sort of hate that annaloy.  It makes me feel like I'm locked in the bathroom talking to 911.

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is stupid

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

so the jet defense thinks the niners were running around the edges?  seems to me they were pretty much just running between the tackles.  that is up the middle.  the jets players just need to stfu until they put a couple of wins up.

They were and MS stated they would before the game... If they truly believe that then we as fans are F and should find another theam because this will not get fix ...the DT were push 3-5 yards back on just about ever play.  They were unprepared and SOFT.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Trent Williams missed all of training camp and looked like he could handle the Jets' vaunted DL with one hand tied behind his back.

I'd have more confidence in Aaron Rodgers outscoring teams in shootouts than I do in anything that comes out of Bobby Sh-tshow's mouth.

They are undefeated in broken promises. 

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Saleh is going to stack 8 in the box all game.  Problem is Pollard is a good receiver who can be split out wide.  Deandre Hopkins probably back this week too

Should have done that last week. I thought Sauce was elite?