Jermaine Johnson out for Year (Achilles)

AbstraKt

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Seemed like that was the case right away but sad to see it confirmed. Hopefully he can fully recover. I think that injury is a lot bigger deal for a DE than some other positions. He has a really good head on his shoulders. 

bring in the red dick

No on the red dick!!!!  I'd rather see the Jets lose out than bring that a$$hole in.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

I am assuming the Jets won't pick up his 5th year option.

I understand this sounds callous.

If they don't, that will be a stupid move imo, and will piss me off.  He's very good and is a great young man, the kind of player the team should keep.  He still has next year to prove that he is healthy and deserves the 5th year option.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Seemed like that was the case right away but sad to see it confirmed. Hopefully he can fully recover. I think that injury is a lot bigger deal for a DE than some other positions. He has a really good head on his shoulders. 

bring in the red dick

Different class of player, but Sherwood recovered from one himself. Better analogy than a QB who doesn't need a lot of mobility. Don't know if both JJII and Sherwood had identical fully severed tendons or if it was/is hanging on by a thread for either instance.

Even if he makes a full recovery, it's tough to say when that recovery will be fully realized, though -- maybe it's a year, maybe it's two, maybe it's 3 before he's at least 95% as good as he was. This may put the kibosh on Johnson getting his 5th year option exercised at the end of this season. Interesting his pro bowl doesn't count for these purposes because he made it as an alternate (otherwise it'd be $23MM) -- https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

They have until May 1st to decide, but that may still not be enough time to accurately assess his progress. Unless he's had a major setback in recovery my guess is they roll the dice on him and exercise it, but as of today it's a coin toss.

Really sucks. Solid and very likable player. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, BigRy56 said:

This is too bad - I thought JJ was in for a big year. He is a part of the Jets long term future

Hate to say it, but that bolded will be determined by how well he recovers from this.

His speed, agility and first-step are vital to success at his position.

Carl Lawson, for example, never got back to where he was before he blew his Achilles.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hate to say it, but that bolded will be determined by how well he recovers from this.

His speed, agility and first-step are vital to success at his position.

Carl Lawson, for example, never got back to where he was before he blew his Achilles.

100% fair

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Different class of player, but Sherwood recovered from one himself. Better analogy than a QB who doesn't need a lot of mobility. Don't know if both JJII and Sherwood had identical fully severed tendons or if it was/is hanging on by a thread for either instance.

Even if he makes a full recovery, it's tough to say when that recovery will be fully realized, though -- maybe it's a year, maybe it's two, maybe it's 3 before he's at least 95% as good as he was. This may put the kibosh on Johnson getting his 5th year option exercised at the end of this season. Interesting his pro bowl doesn't count for these purposes because he made it as an alternate (otherwise it'd be $23MM) -- https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

They have until May 1st to decide, but that may still not be enough time to accurately assess his progress. Unless he's had a major setback in recovery my guess is they roll the dice on him and exercise it, but as of today it's a coin toss.

Really sucks. Solid and very likable player. 

I think the comp should be Jaelan Phillips for the Dolphins. Same size, position, JJ will be ~a year older than Phillips was when he got his injury - but JP also injured his achilles in November - so JJ should have two extra months. 

JP played week 1. Won't pretend I watched him too much but did see a sack highlight of his I believe for week 1. 

But yea - generally no way to predict what happens. The best thing you can say specifically about JJ is by getting injured earlier it will hopefully result in him being more ready this year. He is probably a top 5 guy we can't lose though (regardless of Reddick) given the run issues we've seen last year and this year though. 

1 minute ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I think the comp should be Jaelan Phillips for the Dolphins. Same size, position, JJ will be ~a year older than Phillips was when he got his injury - but JP also injured his achilles in November - so JJ should have two extra months. 

JP played week 1. Won't pretend I watched him too much but did see a sack highlight of his I believe for week 1. 

But yea - generally no way to predict what happens. The best thing you can say specifically about JJ is by getting injured earlier it will hopefully result in him being more ready this year. He is probably a top 5 guy we can't lose though (regardless of Reddick) given the run issues we've seen last year and this year though. 

Well he's a top 5 guy they don't want to lose IF he returns to the form that made him so valuable in the first place.

This is not the Rex Ryan scheme and confuse defense.  The "Saleh Defense" is all about having a fresh group of athletic DL attack the offense, and having the DB/LB cover the receivers long enough so they can get there.  

I don't know how you subtract JFM, Huff and JJII from this defense and expect similar results.  

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think that's too soon to say.  they picked up AVT's and he's been injured way more.

Its basically the same thing.  The Jets love the 5th year option.  Its cheap labor.  

AVT will either play on the option next year or get extended this off season.