The Media & Mangini - By JetMoses

Maxman

JM, I was hesitant to read your editorial. Oh, not because I wouldn't agree with everything I was about to read. No, because it would have been a reminder to me how I jumped on that BBQ wagon in his first year.

Plunking down 220 beans on a jersey....HERMANATOR. Jumping Jesus, a guy with my background should have been patient before making such a colossal mistake on a person who had as much experience as a coordinator as any one of us. Maybe even less when you really think about it.

I was convinced after that first year that Herm was more into theatrics then the duties involved in being a HC...the HC of my beloved Jets. All he turned out to be was a freaking tool for he media while he was here. They (media) enjoyed his ramblings and he was only too accommodating to give them a headline. Damn, I swore I would never use the word "obviously" ever again...a word that Herm wore the crap out of.

But, thanks JM...thanks for reminding us all what a snake oil saleman Herm truly was...and the media who were more interested in getting one of Herm's chatty quotes rather then doing an in depth story on why a HC in the biggest city in the world needs a timekeeper.

Excellent article JetMo. Think it was Carl Peterson Herm had dinner with right before the season opener in KC (which is actually worse since Peterson's the friggin' GM). But Vermeil did say at the end of the season that the best job of coaching was done by none other than Herm Edwards. The "innocent" sequence:

1. Dinner with KC's GM

2. rumors swell as early as mid-season (started by Herm through mouthpiece Can-o-zero) that KC may be interested in Herm after the season's over "if" Vermeil retires.

3. Vermeil announces this is his last year & that Herm was the best HC in '05.

4. season's over - KC makes an unsolicited offer/interest for Herm.

The best part is, with everyone in the world knowing there was collusion, then-commish Tags decides - for the first time - that a coach under contract, who was tampered with by KC merely asking about his availability, does not warrant a punative draft pick(s) from the offending team & they get off with a mid-4th round pick. Bartered by a man whose last job was under Carl Peterson.

But Herm was pushed out. Right. There is some poetic justice in all this. Herm & Peterson will be fired before Herm's contract is done.

The point of the article is good, but that thing is very hard to read man. It's not a requirement to use cute or "big" words to sound good. My point is, I agree with the premise, but it was a tough read.

What was tough to read? ENGLISH

Great thing about this is that Peterson and Edwards are on the cusp of understanding that you should be careful what you wish for, since getting what want isn't always best. Peterson on tv after the Jints game looked like he'd just awoken from a nightmare. And he really has no idea what he's got in Edwards; it probably seemed like a good way to extend his term while getting rid of Vermiel. It will get even worse once the games start for real.

Great thing about this is that Peterson and Edwards are on the cusp of understanding that you should be careful what you wish for, since getting what want isn't always best. Peterson on tv after the Jints game looked like he'd just awoken from a nightmare. And he really has no idea what he's got in Edwards; it probably seemed like a good way to extend his term while getting rid of Vermiel. It will get even worse once the games start for real.

I caught that also. Definitely had that "Holy crap, what have I done?" face on. He didn't look quite as smugly proud of himself as when he stole this "winner" from us.

What Peterson and every single Chiefs fan is about to understand is, when Cannizaro wrote sht like "Herman Edwards is the only Jets coach to go to the playoffs 3 times in 5 seasons" he leaves out

1. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team with a winning record .

2. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team that didn't have a losing record 3 years in a row.

3. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team that didn't have a losing record 2 years in a row.

4. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team that had 4 number one picks the prior season, a hall of fame RB, and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

With all of that, Herm ran the team right into the ground. In 1997, Bill Parcells took over a team that one 3 games in two years. Four years later, the NFL and Jesse Jackson forced this incompetent moron on our team and he destroyed it. The team consecutively got worse; it went 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, and 4-12 in five years, with one abberation in 2004 when Herm threw Cottrell under the bus, brought in Henderson (by default because nobody else wanted the job) who scrapped Herm's cover who BS and actually did ok for that one season but it was business as usual the following season.

What Herman Edwards did for five years is look good on paper. I'll give him that, he knew how to hedge his bets and come out smelling like a rose. Feed the ball to a RB who never fumbles (so what if he has two ankle sprains) and your O-linemen will never be flagged and your QB will never throw INT's. And then you can have all your media lapdogs repeat ad nauseum "Herm's teams are well disciplined and the least penalized and his teams have the lowest turnovers" and it sounds great. With a talented team, you can play it safe and win 9 or 10 games, make the playoffs and have job security indefinitely. Herman Edwards is a fraud. A fraud that has been perpetuated at our expense for 5 years, and every one of these douche bags who prolonged our suffering so they can get a free box of donuts is going to get it back in spades if I have anything to say about it.

What Peterson and every single Chiefs fan is about to understand is, when Cannizaro wrote sht like "Herman Edwards is the only Jets coach to go to the playoffs 3 times in 5 seasons" they leave out

1. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team with a winning record (Besides Groh).

2. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team that didn't have a losing record 3 years in a row.

3. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team that didn't have a losing record 2 years in a row.

4. He's the only Jets coach to take over a Jets team that had 4 number one picks the prior season, a hall of fame RB, and one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

With all of that, Herm ran the team right into the ground. In 1997, Bill Parcells took over a team that one 3 games in two years. Four years later, the NFL and Jesse Jackson forced this incompetent moron on our team and he destroyed it. The team consecutively got worse; it went 10-6, 9-7, 6-10, and 4-12 in five years, with one abberation in 2004 when Herm threw Cottrell under the bus, brought in Henderson (by default because nobody else wanted the job) who scrapped Herm's cover who BS and actually did ok for that one season but it was business as usual the following season.

What Herman Edwards did for five years is look good on paper. I'll give him that, he knew how to hedge his bets and come out smelling like a rose. Feed the ball to a RB who never fumbles (so what if he has two ankle sprains) and your O-linemen will never be flagged and your QB will never throw INT's. And then you can have all your media lapdogs repeat ad nauseum "Herm's teams are well disciplined and the least penalized and his teams have the lowest turnovers" and it sounds great. With a talented team, you can play it safe and win 9 or 10 games, make the playoffs and have job security indefinitely. Herman Edwards is a fraud. A fraud that has been perpetuated at our expense for 5 years, and every one of these douche bags who prolonged our suffering so they can get a free box of donuts is going to get it back in spades if I have anything to say about it.

JM, as much as I liked your front page ed today, I was more impressed

with this one. A lot of emotion and right to the point.

Archived