Is there a chance Vilma is gone after this season???

CoachTsurfing

Does anyone think that Vilma will be trade bait after the season and what could we get for him?

I don't think I saw or heard his name called once yesterday. In fact I think Vilma is an under acheivinh LB. So to answer your question....not much.

first off Vilma is a great player. I just think he is in the wrong system. I think we could get a lot for him and I think the front office should consider trading him if the price is right.

BEfore u go on and say he's in the 'wrong system' give him another year in it,you have to remember he is still learning the 3-4.

Tex, please. Are you really talking smack about Penny? Tommy barely threw for 70 yards, and got benched yesterday. :box:

Dude, it's one friggn' regular season game which was not a "must win" game for the Pats.

I can count on one hand the number of crap games Brady has in his entire career.

The Jets desparately needed a win yesterday to make the playoffs, and once again PennyBoy came up small in a big-game situation.

The truth is Vilma is talented player but this system doesnt suit him well.

If Mangini thinks his size will hamper his play in this system then I look for him to be traded ( I dont think this will happen). At the same time we would get great value for him I would imagine mid 1st round if not a little higher.

Now that Vilma has had some time to see what the 3-4 is all about I am really curious to see how he approaches the offseason. I hope he decides to reengineer his offseason workouts and focus on weight gain. He could concievably put on 15 - 20 pounds of muscle if he works at it and if so he could come back in '07 not only with experience but also the size necessary to excel in the 3-4

Dude, it's one friggn' regular season game which was not a "must win" game for the Pats.

I can count on one hand the number of crap games Brady has in his entire career.

The Jets desparately needed a win yesterday to make the playoffs, and once again PennyBoy came up small in a big-game situation.

Locking up the East seem like it would have been a big game. I'm sure Belichick didnt tell the team this wasnt a "must win" game.

P.S. What happend to your new sig? You already took it off?

What do you think the demand level would be for a 3-4 MLB who records just 1 tackle in an entire game?

A team that is playing 4-3 would take him in a second.

Ironic how players like Hobson and Thomas have adjusted to the 3-4 but Vilma is still struggling.

Vilma will be here, one of his problems is that we do not have the big fat man up on the line... Vilma winds up having to take on O-line players and cant shed them quick enough to make a play....

Vilma and Drob need to eat a LOT this offseason....

Vilma should not be traded, he is our smartest and one of our most talented Defensive players... it would be stupid, he already runs the D great and would do much better making plays if we had a big man on the D-line... Mangini just needs to make the puzzle pieces fit better next year.... (see Ray Lewis)

Ironic how players like Hobson and Thomas have adjusted to the 3-4 but Vilma is still struggling.

This is what I think also. We could get a top-15 pick for him EASILY. But that's a big IF Mangini thinks we'd do just as well or better with someone else in his place.

A 4-3 defense would be getting a steal. His salary is nothing for a guy with his potential in a 4-3 defense & they don't have to give him a big SB like a first-round pick gets. Basically his cap hit for a new team would be just his salary & nothing more. If he's still mediocre in their 4-3 (unlikely) they simply don't have to re-sign him after the '08 season. More than a worthwhile gamble.

The other big IF is what would we be seeking with that pick? If it was a crop like the one that just came out in '06 I'd say do it. This year I'm not so sure. Looks a lot like the '03 draft at a first glance, but to be honest I haven't familiarized myself with it much yet.

I really think a lot of it has to do with the play/size of our D-line... Drob has been doing better but he cannot take 2 guys on a regular basis....

Did anyone see that play yesterday where Vilma was heading for a sack and Ellis fell right under him and took out his legs???

Color me as one who is underwhelmed by Vilma. Sure scheme makes a difference and he is in a scheme which does not seem to fit him right now but it has to be said, this guy gets freight-trained way to much for my taste. Maybe he just isn't big enough to play the middle but let's not pretend it is just the big mean offensive linemen, from who, he is not being protected who are the ones carrying him five yards backwards.

Because it isn't.

I think it is another in the Curtis Martin mold of "superstars". Players who are pretty good but in the Jets fans despration to have an all-world hero to call our own, these players get inflated way beyond their actual on-the-field impact.

Incidentally, this "disease" of the Jets fans also leads directly to overpaying said players (by a lot) when it comes time to redo thier contracts.

Color me as one who is underwhelmed by Vilma. Sure scheme makes a difference and he is in a scheme which does not seem to fit him right now but it has to be said, this guy gets freight-trained way to much for my taste. Maybe he just isn't big enough to play the middle but let's not pretend it is just the big mean offensive linemen, from who, he is not being protected who are the ones carrying him five yards backwards.

Because it isn't.

I think it is another in the Curtis Martin mold of "superstars". Players who are pretty good but in the Jets fans despration to have an all-world hero to call our own, these players get inflated way beyond their actual on-the-field impact.

Incidentally, this "disease" of the Jets fans also leads directly to overpaying said players (by a lot) when it comes time to redo thier contracts.

have you actually read what people on these boards think of martin? i guess not, because for the most part he is less appreciated by jets fans than fans of other teams...

have you actually read what people on these boards think of martin? i guess not, because for the most part he is less appreciated by jets fans than fans of other teams...

Thats what happens when RB's like LT score 98 TD's in 6 years while it took Curtis 12 to get 90 TD's...

Curtis was a great RB, but can you imagine if LT can play for 12 seasons like Curtis did?

Curtis Martin (12 seasons)

14,101 yards

4.0 YPC

90 TDs

LaDainian Tomlinson (6 seasons/ still a few games left this year too!)

8,788 yards

4.4 YPC

98 TD's

Now if he kept up a this pace... double his stats... about

17,000 yards

almost 200 TD's....

Curtis got where he is because he was durable, not becuase he racked up #'s. If someone like LT can be as durable as Cmart was... WOW

Thats what happens when RB's like LT score 98 TD's in 6 years while it took Curtis 12 to get 90 TD's...

Curtis was a great RB, but can you imagine if LT can play for 12 seasons like Curtis did?

Curtis Martin (12 seasons)

14,101 yards

4.0 YPC

90 TDs

LaDainian Tomlinson (6 seasons/ still a few games left this year too!)

8,788 yards

4.4 YPC

98 TD's

Now if he kept up a this pace... double his stats... about

17,000 yards

almost 200 TD's....

Curtis got where he is because he was durable, not becuase he racked up #'s. If someone like LT can be as durable as Cmart was... WOW

If Tomlinson plays as long as Curtis does he'll go down as the best football player ever.

Because it isn't.

I'm not a huge Vilma fan either, I wouldn't have a problem with moving him for solid value, but I'll put that one on the FO. What I didn't know is that Jets fan had a disease that had an effect on the FO doing contracts. Is it something in the water? Why would the FO care about who the fans want?

Much better receiver too.

if you count the little sections on each finger :yahoo: BURN!

Archived