Chad Penningtons last home game as Jets QB?

EvanstonJet

That is not true.

Chad just doesn't have the arm to throw the ball down the field. That pass to McCareins Monday night would have been a touchdown if most any other QB had thrown it.

Or it could have been an interception, you just don't know if most any other qb makes the right read, gets the blocking, time's it correctly, etc.

If we win and go to the playoffs Chad Pennington WILL be back as the starting Quarterback for the 2007 New York Jets barring injury. Patrick Ramsey will be released and Kellen Clemens will assume the role as the #2 QB permantley.

Not so fast 124 - that might have been the deal in days past. Chads, job if it's with the Jets for next year, isn't going to be won on any field until next August. Mangini don't play that crap and thank God he doesn't. Chad is absolutely the best option for the rest of this season. We're runnning a new, very complicated offense that only somebody with Pennington's smarts and experience can execute. As long as the play-off run is happening - he is our only viable option to go anywhere in the post season.

That said - I hope Mangini and the rest of the staff are well aware of the handcuffs Chad puts on the Jets offense. Despite his top 5 (maybe top 2 after Manning) ability to do everything a quarterback needs to on the field except execute the throw, that limitation will keep us in mediocrity as long as he's taking snaps.

Rest assured Chad Pennington will work even harder this off season than he's ever worked before to be Jets starter next year. Thats the kind of guy he is and he's a courageous example to all of football. But he doesn't have any job nailed down and I for one, hope Mangini has other plans.

Untill the Jets send me a paycheck Ill worry about other things. Till then Ill continue to voice my opinion of the situation here. Feel free to read it,or not.

I think we have it set so that moderators can not be ignored. So unfortunately for a good poster like gimme, that is not an option.

Rest assured Chad Pennington will work even harder this off season than he's ever worked before to be Jets starter next year. Thats the kind of guy he is and he's a courageous example to all of football. But he doesn't have any job nailed down and I for one, hope Mangini has other plans.

I don't think it's that farfetched to think Chad will benefit with another offseason program. Think about it. I'm always hearing that players aren't the same until the next season after having an ACL tear. Why should the shoulder be any different. Another offseason of strengthening the shoulder can only help.

I don't think it's that farfetched to think Chad will benefit with another offseason program. Think about it. I'm always hearing that players aren't the same until the next season after having an ACL tear. Why should the shoulder be any different. Another offseason of strengthening the shoulder can only help.

I don't disagree it will help him KS - not at all. I personally don't think it's the shoulder injuries that are hindering his ability to make the throws and I'm not into having that never ending discussion. I'm happy as hell he has come back to lead us to 9 wins and looking forward to #10 for #10 on Sunday.

If we go to the super bowl and win Chad will compete with Clemens for a starting job. If we lose to Oakland and don't make the playoffs Chad will compete for a starting job with Clemens. As far as Ramsey goes, I hope we can at least get a 6 or 7 round pick for him.

If you guys decide to start kellen id gladly take chad off your hands and move him into the raiders offense hes evrything my raiders are lacking. BTW what if kellen starts off slow?

I'm a true Chad hater mostly becuase I grew up with a great downfield QB and still believe in it. That said, I'm not convinced we can't build a solid SB contender with Pennington as our QB.

This is a QB driven league but in truth there are only 3 or 4 elite QB's in the league right now who are really game changers.

The big problem with Chad was the last regime paid him as if he was an elite QB which helped tie our hands in FA. If Chad is willing to be paid like a mid range QB instead of an elite QB we might be able to build a good enough D and O around him to win? This team needs more help on both sides of the line particularly if we plan on playing more of a smash mouth O at some point. We need a guard a big upgrade at RT and probably another TE and a lead blocker at FB if we are going to be a productive running team facing an 8 man box with Chad as the QB.

At the end of the day, Chad's future on this team is going to come down to money.

that says it all. he's holding the fort, cause he's holding the cap.

All I meant was I tried ignoring you. It just can't be done technically. :P

Ignore(nce?) is in the eye of the beholder. It is entirely possible to ignore someone without the benefit a software assisted ignore "feature". Think of it like getting a boner the old fashoined way rather than via the miracles of modern chemistry.

In any event, Chad had been durable this year. Half the battle won. All unbiased medical opinions during this past offseason were that 2007 is the earliest he would likely get back to whatever his new physical peak turns out to be. Give him the semblence of a running game and a bona fide pass catching tight end and stack those two things up behind a young improving offensive line and I will take our chances behind Chad.

The IQ thing trumps the bazooka thing every time.

And Vince Young will never be a good pro...yada yada yada.

Give it a rest.

So, I was wrong on Vince Young, which means my opinion on anything football related is no longer valid.

We can't all be 100% correct all the time, Mr. Sox Will Coast to the East.

Im not sure what management thinks about when it comes to QB next year..

Chad has been nice, but next year I think we should start a qb with an arm..

your absolutely right. chad is a warm weather QB. in a windy wet envirment his smarts go out of the building. i think kelen will get more experiance, the more snaps he takes. i think they should give him a try in the fourth quater against the raiders if the game isn't too close

You summed it up nicely, KSJ.

I'm a true Chad hater mostly becuase I grew up with a great downfield QB and still believe in it. That said, I'm not convinced we can't build a solid SB contender with Pennington as our QB.

This is a QB driven league but in truth there are only 3 or 4 elite QB's in the league right now who are really game changers.

The big problem with Chad was the last regime paid him as if he was an elite QB which helped tie our hands in FA. If Chad is willing to be paid like a mid range QB instead of an elite QB we might be able to build a good enough D and O around him to win? This team needs more help on both sides of the line particularly if we plan on playing more of a smash mouth O at some point. We need a guard a big upgrade at RT and probably another TE and a lead blocker at FB if we are going to be a productive running team facing an 8 man box with Chad as the QB.

At the end of the day, Chad's future on this team is going to come down to money.

You see I'm not a Chad hater at all, I think Chad is one of the best QBs in the league when he's healthy. I'm not going to lie though before the Miami game I thought that if the Jets lost the game then the hot stove on Chad's career as a Jet would've started to warm up again. The one thing I love about Chad is he's another Curtis Martin. That is he's a great team player and a pretty good leader. After this past season I'm pretty sure he took a pay cut and signed a contract filled with incentives, and I wouldn't be surprised him taking another cut down the line for the good of the team. Plus the salary cap is going to be increasing in the next two years so money shouldn't be an issue

your absolutely right. chad is a warm weather QB. in a windy wet envirment his smarts go out of the building. i think kelen will get more experiance, the more snaps he takes. i think they should give him a try in the fourth quater against the raiders if the game isn't too close

Bad timing for that thought... where were you on Monday when Chad helped bring us back to win the game??? Or could any QB do that??? How about the Pats game??? Ever watch the ICE COLD Packers game when he lit them up??? Seriously think before you post. (all bad weather games this year, in case you dont actually watch the games..)

OK, Chad can get us to a SB... we were almost there (one kick away from the AFC Campionship game) when he had a hurt arm... When he is healthy we go far.

Also the whole money thing... where have you been??? Chad took a HUGE paycut this year. The only reason he got his money back is becuase of how well he is doing with the team this year... if he played like crap he wouldnt have been paid. Simple as that, Chads money situation is not even one of our bad one... (see Robertson/Mccareins for your example)

Chads future DOES NOT come down to money, sorry.

That is not true.

Chad just doesn't have the arm to throw the ball down the field. That pass to McCareins Monday night would have been a touchdown if most any other QB had thrown it.

Oh yeah, throwing the ball with a pass rush as good as the Phins in a driving rain storm on muddy turf is a piece of cake that any QB with an arm could have thrown.... :rolleyes:

Chad can throw that distance, obviously something didnt go right on the throw... its not like it was the right conditions where is should have been a perfect throw no matter what though...

-------

3 years Healthy, working on his 3rd year getting us to the playoffs. Hopefully winning some more playoff games as well... get real guys, Chad is our QB for now and for next year.

In any event, Chad had been durable this year. Half the battle won. All unbiased medical opinions during this past offseason were that 2007 is the earliest he would likely get back to whatever his new physical peak turns out to be. Give him the semblence of a running game and a bona fide pass catching tight end and stack those two things up behind a young improving offensive line and I will take our chances behind Chad.

The IQ thing trumps the bazooka thing every time.

There is something between IQ and Bazooka that makes a great QB. Some guys while not very bright have a great feel for the game coupled with great physical tools. I think Young falls in that catagory and to a certain extent Namath, Marino, Bradshaw, border line dopes fall into that catagory. There are other guys with Bazooka's who are actually pretty smart but just don't have a feel or maybe their reaction time where their brain connects to what they are seeing down the field isn't there?

Chad has played smart but he also has played in very low risk offenses both under Hackett and now Shoty Jr. What seperated Chad at his best was his understanding of the O his play fake ability coupled with his short and mid range accuracy. What I think troubles a lot of people besides Chad's lack of arm strength is he shows flashes of a lack of feel for the game around him and his accuracy is not what it was. The pass to Washington the screen/lateral to Cotch (maybe it was tipped?) but on a rain soaked field those are not smart plays in fact they are usually certain death. On the other side the pitch to Washington was a thing of Beauty that goes beyond mechanics to feel.

I guess what I'm saying is Chad has done enough for us to win at a slightly better than average in this league but he still doesn't just do it naturally under pressure and I think that's why he will never be an elite QB in this league and I think it's why a lot of us don't think he is more than a stop gap?

I'm highly prejudiced because I love what an elite athlete at QB brings to the table but the league is changing and maybe we can win with Chad surrounded by the right mix? I think this will be a debate that will extend at least through next year. I can't see them going away from Chad if we make the playoffs this year.

OK, Chad can get us to a SB... we were almost there (one kick away from the AFC Campionship game) when he had a hurt arm... When he is healthy we go far.

Also the whole money thing... where have you been??? Chad took a HUGE paycut this year. The only reason he got his money back is becuase of how well he is doing with the team this year... if he played like crap he wouldnt have been paid. Simple as that, Chads money situation is not even one of our bad one... (see Robertson/Mccareins for your example)

Chads future DOES NOT come down to money, sorry.

I'm not sure of all the details on his renegiotation where and if he will be in a position to get elite QB money the following year or not? I'm sure there are some guys on the board who can clarify what he's cap status is for the next year and following. I think next year is no issue I'm not sure about the out years.

There is something between IQ and Bazooka that makes a great QB. Some guys while not very bright have a great feel for the game coupled with great physical tools. I think Young falls in that catagory and to a certain extent Namath, Marino, Bradshaw, border line dopes fall into that catagory. There are other guys with Bazooka's who are actually pretty smart but just don't have a feel or maybe their reaction time where their brain connects to what they are seeing down the field isn't there?

Chad has played smart but he also has played in very low risk offenses both under Hackett and now Shoty Jr. What seperated Chad at his best was his understanding of the O his play fake ability coupled with his short and mid range accuracy. What I think troubles a lot of people besides Chad's lack of arm strength is he shows flashes of a lack of feel for the game around him and his accuracy is not what it was. The pass to Washington the screen/lateral to Cotch (maybe it was tipped?) but on a rain soaked field those are not smart plays in fact they are usually certain death. On the other side the pitch to Washington was a thing of Beauty that goes beyond mechanics to feel.

I guess what I'm saying is Chad has done enough for us to win at a slightly better than average in this league but he still doesn't just do it naturally under pressure and I think that's why he will never be an elite QB in this league and I think it's why a lot of us don't think he is more than a stop gap?

I'm highly prejudiced because I love what an elite athlete at QB brings to the table but the league is changing and maybe we can win with Chad surrounded by the right mix? I think this will be a debate that will extend at least through next year. I can't see them going away from Chad if we make the playoffs this year.

The pass to Cotch was tipped from the replay.

The Washinton play was indeed a hospital pass of the worst kind and so were some of his other balls both on Monday as well as throughout the season. We need a tight end to reduce the wear and tear on our wideouts. Unfortunately we have paymakers who have turned very similar plays into big gains for us this season. So for right now anyway, those are staying in the playbook.

I think you are correct and there may be no more than half a dozen true difference makers at QB in this league, possibly fewer and it would be nice to have a Carson Palmer or one of the other ones. On the other hand, a team is far more liklely to have QB play drag them down and out of a playoff run than they are to have one of those half a dozen whose play can drag them up and into contention for the big prize. Chad may not be able to win it for us all on his own but he is not going to be losing it for us either.

I think Chad when he is on his game is in the bottom half of the top ten QB's in the NFL and I am OK with that.

So long as we don't overpay.

Archived