Bears Fan Loses Bet - Changes Name To Peyton

Maxman

td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }February 7, 2007

DECATUR, Ill. (AP) -- How do you spell Scott Wiese?

In a few weeks, that'd be P-e-y-t-o-n M-a-n-n-i-n-g. Wiese, a die-hard fan of the Chicago Bears, signed a pledge in front of a crowd at a Decatur bar last Friday night that if the Bears lost Sunday's Super Bowl, he'd change his name to that of the man who led the Indianapolis Colts to victory.

Final Score: Colts 29, Bears 17.

So on Tuesday, Wiese went to the Macon County Courts Facility and started the process of changing his name.

"I made the bet, and now I've got to keep it," said the 26-year-old, who lives in Forsyth, just north of Decatur.

Wiese will now have to advertise his intention in the local newspaper -- the Herald & Review -- for several weeks and then have a judge give him the OK to become, legally anyway, Peyton Manning.

The men have little in common, Wiese acknowledges. Manning the quarterback is 30 years old, stands 6-foot-5 and has a contract with the Colts worth more than $100 million.

Wiese is 5-foot-11 and works at a Staples office-supply store for somewhat less.

"I think I kind of represent all Bears fans," he said. "Not that I'm saying they're all idiots like me, but I represent their passion because I really care about my team, you know?"

Wiese's lawyer and friend, Andy Bourey, is handling the paperwork. He said he admires Wiese's sense of honor.

"I never doubted him," he said. "He's a man of his word."

While he pledged to take on the new identity, Wiese isn't sure how long he's willing to keep it.

Say, maybe, until the Bears' next Super Bowl appearance? Not likely, given that their last trip to the big game was in 1985. "I mean, well, it may be another 21 years."\

Who would make such a stupid bet on a football game? Geez. :P

Someone needs to protect hillbillies from themselves

bob is right. someone needs to buy this guy a globe. I would but i got all my money tied up in toasters .

thanks, willy joe

I feel bad for this guys wife. she's gonna have to hear him tell the story of " how I got my name" every time he has 3 or more beers.

5? Max is running TEN miles. Presumably he'll be following a 10-mile trail of Oreo's, spaced 20 yards apart, by JFBM. Every 200 yards she's placing a glass of milk.

I tell you that just gets funnier each time I read it. Keep up the good work. :confused:

why does everyone care about herm so much hes not our coach and has noa affiliation to us just drop the sperm edwards stuff come on

Because he's a terrible Coach who ****ed over the Jets but still thinks he is a great Coach.

why does everyone care about herm so much hes not our coach and has noa affiliation to us just drop the sperm edwards stuff come on

Freedom to bash Herm Edwards is the reason I came to this site. It was not allowed at JI unless it was also laced with obligatory compliments and TGG rejected my username outright.

We discuss all types of NFL a-holes here. Herm should get no special treatment from us. Less, in fact, because he squandered a window with very real opportunity for a winner with his idiotic experiments, inability to assist his team on Sundays, and general stupidity. He's good at one thing: getting his name out there. Two close friends in the superbowl & this blowhard is giving self-promoting, I-know-it-all interviews. During superbowl week, way after his Chiefs got humiliated - even THAT should be about him & his smugness. I'd call that out even if he wasn't a former Jets HC.

As long as it doesn't break the site rules, talk about who & what you want here. If nobody else wants to discuss what you do, your thread will have 0 replies.

Freedom to bash Herm Edwards is the reason I came to this site. It was not allowed at JI unless it was also laced with obligatory compliments and TGG rejected my username outright.

We discuss all types of NFL a-holes here. Herm should get no special treatment from us. Less, in fact, because he squandered a window with very real opportunity for a winner with his idiotic experiments, inability to assist his team on Sundays, and general stupidity. He's good at one thing: getting his name out there. Two close friends in the superbowl & this blowhard is giving self-promoting, I-know-it-all interviews. During superbowl week, way after his Chiefs got humiliated - even THAT should be about him & his smugness. I'd call that out even if he wasn't a former Jets HC.

As long as it doesn't break the site rules, talk about who & what you want here. If nobody else wants to discuss what you do, your thread will have 0 replies.

I love it how people want to tell other people what they can say.

Archived