What are u listening to right now?

I was totally jamming to this chick on the treadmill today. David Byrne, I think, is the producer. You can def hear Talking Heads beats in there. A couple of songs are duds but for the most part pretty funkdefyingly awesome. Song above is from the same album. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3emCS8Tqps

Edited by HessStation

I will always have an insane amount of respect for Anthony Jackson, but six string basses are so bizarre looking. Never had any interest in playing one.

You play bass? I play piano and guitar..Piano I played when I was littler, then picked up again in the last 2 years.. Guitar i played as a teenager

Edited by CTM

You play bass? I play piano and guitar..Piano I played when I was littler, then picked up again in the last 2 years.. Guitar i played as a teenager

On and off for almost 20 years. Started back up again last year. Life slowed down a little bit and Mrs. RJF nudged me into playing again. Turns out I really missed playing.

On and off for almost 20 years. Started back up again last year. Life slowed down a little bit and Mrs. RJF nudged me into playing again. Turns out I really missed playing.

For some reason I can totally see you rocking a stand up bass like Shannon whatshisface from the John Butler Trio.  

For some reason I can totally see you rocking a stand up bass like Shannon whatshisface from the John Butler Trio.  

One day perhaps. When kids come into the picture I suppose it will have to be either that or an acoustic bass for the first few years. Right now I've been rocking out on a Epiphone Viola, which is kind of a replica of the Hofners that McCartney plays. Great guitar and very soft on the eyes if I do say so myself.

230277797837-1.jpg

If things continue and I start playing with others again I'll probably sell a few of my comics and buy a Gretsch. A lot of the greats used to play on a Gretsch and they entered into a distribution deal with Fender a few years back to reissue all their old models. Expensive, but worth it. Really just totally in love with their stuff, this one in particular. I go completely Wayne Campbell every time I see it in the store. "There it is. EXCALIBUR."

gretsch_g5442bdc_black_hollow-body_elect

• Upvote 1

One day perhaps. When kids come into the picture I suppose it will have to be either that or an acoustic bass for the first few years. Right now I've been rocking out on a Epiphone Viola, which is kind of a replica of the Hofners that McCartney plays. Great guitar and very soft on the eyes if I do say so myself.

If things continue and I start playing with others again I'll probably sell a few of my comics and buy a Gretsch. A lot of the greats used to play on a Gretsch and they entered into a distribution deal with Fender a few years back to reissue all their old models. Expensive, but worth it. Really just totally in love with their stuff, this one in particular. I go completely Wayne Campbell every time I see it in the store. "There it is. EXCALIBUR."

That's awesome, definitely great that ya picked it back up. Great scene too.   I started playing the sax when I was 5 because that's the only way my mother would let me take up guitar.  My birthday is a only a few days before Christmas and a number of years ago she bought me a '61 Gibson SG reissue, which is pretty much the reason I started playing the guitar: Clapton during his cream days used a '64 Gibson standard and Duane and Derek Trucks use the SG.  I use it for slide and have a Les Paul Sunburst replica that I use as well.  One of these days when I actually have money of my own, I'd like to buy the real things.  As of now, I just can't justify it, but it's on a dream list.  It's funny, I put it down for a few months after I see Derek Trucks live and get frustrated or after listening to Filmore east and remember that Duane mastered the thing before the age of 25 on a f*cking pill bottle.  But then they're the reason I pick it back up. Thus is life I suppose.

I started playing piano after deciding I wanted the kids to learn . figured I would learn it with them and be something we could do together. they didnt appreciate it till only recently now that they are getting good.

Btw, as a guitar player for many years it was surprising how hard it was to learn hand independence .. maybe if I finger picked it would've come easier but I had a hard time learning it. Glad I did though as its really given me a much fuller understanding/appreciation of music

That's awesome, definitely great that ya picked it back up. Great scene too. I started playing the sax when I was 5 because that's the only way my mother would let me take up guitar. My birthday is a only a few days before Christmas and a number of years ago she bought me a '61 Gibson SG reissue, which is pretty much the reason I started playing the guitar: Clapton during his cream days used a '64 Gibson standard and Duane and Derek Trucks use the SG. I use it for slide and have a Les Paul Sunburst replica that I use as well. One of these days when I actually have money of my own, I'd like to buy the real things. As of now, I just can't justify it, but it's on a dream list. It's funny, I put it down for a few months after I see Derek Trucks live and get frustrated or after listening to Filmore east and remember that Duane mastered the thing before the age of 25 on a f*cking pill bottle. But then they're the reason I pick it back up. Thus is life I suppose.

Oh Allman is the man. You listen to some of those old sessions that they did and it's crazy how unique of a sound he carved out.

I started playing piano after deciding I wanted the kids to learn . figured I would learn it with them and be something we could do together. they didnt appreciate it till only recently now that they are getting good.

Btw, as a guitar player for many years it was surprising how hard it was to learn hand independence .. maybe if I finger picked it would've come easier but I had a hard time learning it. Glad I did though as its really given me a much fuller understanding/appreciation of music

It's the one instrument I regret not ever learning. I feel like piano above all is the instrument that's hardest to start from scratch with as an adult.

And that's why I've never really played with a pick often. I think for the most part I can get the sounds I need out of a bass with my fingers and if I became to reliant on a pick then my fingers wouldn't be conditioned like I want them to be. I try to keep it to when my hand just gets too tired, or if I'm playing something like a Pixies song and I'm trying to recreate their sound.

It's the one instrument I regret not ever learning. I feel like piano above all is the instrument that's hardest to start from scratch with as an adult.

And that's why I've never really played with a pick often. I think for the most part I can get the sounds I need out of a bass with my fingers and if I became to reliant on a pick then my fingers wouldn't be conditioned like I want them to be. I try to keep it to when my hand just gets too tired, or if I'm playing something like a Pixies song and I'm trying to recreate their sound.

yes it's very hard. I played for a few months somewhere around 7 years old , my parents let me quit to play football .. So I never progressed beyond single finger songs

when I got to about 17 and started playing guitar I was kinda pissed at my parents for letting me quit. So I don't allow my kids to quit, even if they get pissed at me now for it.

Anyway, learning from scratch was incredibly daunting .. I honestly thought it was impossible at times, but the cool thing was that the improvement was small but noticeable. Every session I got a bit better and felt like I was achieving something new nearly everyday. It was youthfully invigorating in a way that I hadnt experienced in years, it was good for mind, body and spirit if that makes sense, like busting out of a rut. Very rewarding and something I encourage anyone to do.

my kids are learning much quicker then me, which is a stark reminder of my advancing years, but it helps motivate them being better then daddy lol

I do a lot of finger picking and still can't do it.

Having learned everything finger picking it sucks when I play rhythm guitar with a buddies band because I'm forced to use a pick if I want anyone to hear me and even that's very foreign. Unless I'm just strumming chords I tend to hit the wrong strings on a fill. Forget about a solo. Kinda sucks being pigeon holed bc I know where to go, I could easily do it with my thumb...but with a pick in my hand it doesn't always cooperate.

http://www.zimmerlybasses.com/

Since you bring up Bass guitars. A very good friend of mine has his own side biz. He makes these Guitars from scratch. The work he does is phenomenal check it out.

He sells them for 2.5K each and has a musician from Turkey that scoops them up.

Edited by slowmoe57