Bowens........Signs with Jets

flgreen

Bowens signs with Jets

By TFY Draft Preview

Posted Mar 27, 2007

One of the few pass rusher left in free agency is now off the market. Former Miami Dolphin David Bowens has signed a three year contract with the New York Jets.

Bowens was being courted by the Miami Dolphins, Carolina Panthers, New England Patriots and the Jets. Miami was offering a one year deal worth $1.5-million to keep Bowens, who wanted a long term deal. Bowens signed today with the Jets for $6.1-million over three years. The deal includes a guarantee of $700,000 the first year and incentive clauses which can add an additional $2-million to the contract/

Wow...that's a lot of bodies to the front 7

Hamilton

Kimo

Wadsworth

Bowens

Coleman

Ellis

D-Rob

Hobson

Vilma

Thomas

Haynes

Moore

Mosley

Pouha

Chatham

Kassell

Schlegel

I could see Kassell being let go and Pouha if he doesn't show something in camp...either way it'll make for some great competion up front.

i think this may mean hobson is moving inside and the end of the barton era

I don't know... 700k in guarantees it's not exactly starter's money. Seems more like a situational pass rusher. Like Dave Ball was early last season.

Speaking of him...

Panthers | Team signs Ball

Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:17:57 -0700

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Carolina Panthers signed free-agent DE Dave Ball (Jets) to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

I could see Kassell being let go and Pouha if he doesn't show something in camp...either way it'll make for some great competion up front.

What are the ramofications of cutting Kimo? I realize we just signed him, but there is no way he can keep up with the guys we just signed.

I don't know... 700k in guarantees it's not exactly starter's money. Seems more like a situational pass rusher. Like Dave Ball was early last season.

with incentives which could give him a nice year's pay-this signing I like because it gives our new DL coach a tool that HE knows how to work with-Dan Quinn for those that don't know is our new DL coach and he's coming over from Miami

what it WILL mean is we have some bonafide pass rushers in Bowens Ellis and Coleman-not to mention the possible wild card guys we signed (Wadsworth,Mike Haynes)-when it's 3rd and 14 we won't HAVE to worry about stopping the run

They just didn't target every player they should've...

or maybe Mikey those guys didn't really want to be here...ya know? It ain't always about money and or maybe the Jets saw something they didn't like...you know character issues...Joey Porter anyone?

or maybe Mikey those guys didn't really want to be here...ya know? It ain't always about money and or maybe the Jets saw something they didn't like...you know character issues...Joey Porter anyone?

Well i guess we'll never know... It sure seems like they didn't go after a few players who would've made a big time impact on this team..

or Harrell (DT/Ten).

Mangini is very particular about the guys he brings in to camp. If the right CB is there at #25 then they will take him. I dont see the Jets drafting the best available DB if its not exactly the guy the Jets want. Same at TE - I dont see the Jets targetting a guy who is a pass catcher but is not an accomplished blocker (ie, Olsen). And Guard doesnt make much sense from a value perspective as they can draft a very good one later on the first day without tremendous dropoff from Blalock or Grubbs.

I was hoping the Jets would draft an OLB/pass rushing prospect but that seems less likely given this week's activity.

This is in response to TaborJet re the Jets' draft options.

Gotta go Oline with that pick... They owe that to themselves after getting TJ.

Nah. Plenty of time to upgrade the O-line later in draft. Barton's got the Jets taking two solid O-linemen AND Revis on the first day.

Nah. Plenty of time to upgrade the O-line later in draft. Barton's got the Jets taking two solid O-linemen AND Revis on the first day.
Because the jets didn't address O line in the FA market they put themselves in a position where they have to draft O line early or they will be in bad shape hoping that 3rd round guys are ready to step in and play or stick with what is still a bad o line. Guys like Dbrick and Mangold are the exception not the rule.

What are the ramofications of cutting Kimo? I realize we just signed him, but there is no way he can keep up with the guys we just signed.

If cut before 6/1 it's roughly a wash (maybe a savings of $100K).

If cut after 6/1 we save $1.2M this year but there's a dead-cap space hit of $1.1M next year.

Good signing.

If cut before 6/1 it's roughly a wash (maybe a savings of $100K).

If cut after 6/1 we save $1.2M this year but there's a dead-cap space hit of $1.1M next year.

Good signing.

Sperm you really think bringing back that useless player who was completely inviable all year last year was a good signing?

Sperm you really think bringing back that useless player who was completely inviable all year last year was a good signing?

Absolutely not. I think they did it out of fear of not being able to sign others & going into the draft with a gaping hole at DE. If his RB was a little higher, we'd have released him.

Thing is (IMO) even if Kimo was here it would have been no less of a gaping hole, so I didn't like paying his $600K roster bonus.

When we first signed him it was understandable. Once it was obvious that his time had past (read: all of 2006), I thought it was dumb.

Archived