Jim Leyland on Dice-K

Matt39

"I don't give a (expletive) about him," Leyland said.**huge swig of JD** "I'm not getting into all that.**puff on a red and another hearty swig of JD** I could give a (expletive) less.**Hits the JD again** It's another pitcher."**stamps out a cigarette**

That's how it went down.

Another reason why I love Leyland. He just tells it like it is.

He is great. No knock on Randolph at all but would of loved Leyland in Queens.

Saw this pretty accurate assessment of Dice on rotoworld the other day.

Boston - With 40 hits and three homers allowed and a 47/18 K/BB in 45 innings, Daisuke Matsuzaka has the peripherals of a No. 1 starter. He's also helping himself by controlling the running game (one steal in two attempts) and by playing fine defense. Still, his ERA stands at 4.80, even after turning on one of his best performances of the season Wednesday against the Blue Jays.

Everyone likes to say he's struggling from the stretch, and he is somewhat. However, the league is hitting .233 against him with the bases empty and .235 with runners on. Also, all three homers against him have been solo shots.

The real problem is that he too often loses the strike zone for an inning at a time. He walked three and hit a batter in a five-run frame against the Mariners. He walked three straight in a four-run inning versus the Yankees. He walked three in a two-run inning in his first start against the Blue Jays. That's a full half of his 18 walks in just three innings.

The encouraging thing is that he always seems to find it again after his ugly innings. Still, great pitchers don't have this kind of thing happen to them three times in a span of four starts.

Jim Leyland has quickly become one of my favorite coaches. Sure he had to become Detroit's manager for me to really pay attention but I can see where everyone comes from. He doesn't get caught up in the crap, doesn't panic when things go bad. He basically just called all the press than has been sucking Dice-K's dick since he got here out. I love him.

Jim Leyland has quickly become one of my favorite coaches. Sure he had to become Detroit's manager for me to really pay attention but I can see where everyone comes from. He doesn't get caught up in the crap, doesn't panic when things go bad. He basically just called all the press than has been sucking Dice-K's dick since he got here out. I love him.

Just out of curiosity...not that I dont believe every word of every Yankee honk...but is there any kind of link to this story.

Not that I doubt that Leyland used such objctionable language, mind you. I can see that happening. I am just surprised that such an attention-starved manager, who wears cleats in the dugout and has been known to take BP with his players, would be so opposed to the idea of somebody receiving too much attention!!!

Its a shame the pirates had a perfect opportunity to get leyland back but passed him up for jim f'n tracy.

I think Leyland is great. He's an old school guy who doesn't take any crap at all and tells it like it is.

In his honour I will take a shot of Jack and smoke 50 Marlboro's tonight!

I think Leyland is great. He's an old school guy who doesn't take any crap at all and tells it like it is.

In his honour I will take a shot of Jack and smoke 50 Marlboro's tonight!

Underachiever.

Leyland probably does that before noon.

LOL at Leyland & the Tigers.

Here's who gives an (expletive) about the Diceman: Everyone in the baseball world, including fans of your scrub@ss team!

The Diceman was pure, unadulterated FILTH tonight and mowed down this first place team, albeit first place in the AL Central, and made throwing 124 pitches look effortless. Dice-K could have gone another 9. I really have to say that he was hampered by terrible pitch selection too! I want to see more outpitches when Dice-K is ahead in the count, which seemed like a recurring theme tonight against the Tigers.

But make no mistake, Matsuzaka-san is worth the hype/money unlike another Japanese import somewhere lost in the minor leagues!!!

Onegai Shimasuyo!!!

Good for Leyland. Baseball would be better without all the pro wrestling-style hype.

like grabbing a microphone and announcing a comeback during the 7th inning stretch while the radio voice of your team has an on-air orgasm while you do it? ;)

like grabbing a microphone and announcing a comeback during the 7th inning stretch while the radio voice of your team has an on-air orgasm while you do it? ;)

Hahahahaha. Thats a good point. I hadnt thought of that one. I actually found Leyland's initial comments to be pro wrestling-esque.

• 4 weeks later...

If he doesn't get his act together in Fenway he's going to have a hard time in the post season. Dude has an ERA around 6.00 at home if I'm not mistaken

Archived