Jets | Contact Violation | Kendall?

rick34125

Union could flag Jets' contact drills

BY BOB GLAUBER

bob.glauber@newsday.com

June 19, 2007

Chad Pennington barked out the signals, took the snap and faded back to pass. As he looked for an open receiver, Shaun Ellis rushed hard from left end and was blocked by tackle Anthony Clement and guard Brandon Moore. Pennington threw to Laveranues Coles over the middle.

It seemed like a routine play Friday during minicamp as the Jets went through final preparations before the opening of training camp next month. But it may have been a violation of the NFL's collective-bargaining agreement, which strictly prohibits contact of any kind during the offseason.

According to the CBA, "Contact work [e.g., 'live' blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run] is expressly prohibited in all offseason workouts." Appendix L adds: "No live contact; no live contact drills between offensive and defensive linemen."

These rules apply to all offseason workouts, whether or not the day has been designated as an OTA (organized team activity) by the club. They also apply to mandatory and voluntary minicamps.

As a result of those drills, the Jets face the possibility of being sanctioned by the NFL Players Association. On Friday, the union slapped the Raiders with a CBA violation; the team confirmed it was hit with a week embargo on any further offseason work. Other teams routinely stage contact drills, although they are rarely reported to the league or to the NFLPA and go mostly unpunished.

The Jets' offseason is largely completed, with the team on a break until training camp, although the practice facility remains open if players want to train on their own. The NFLPA still might issue a fine and might request video of the minicamp drills to determine whether violations occurred.

Jets coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Who could have reported this....... Kendall? Wasn't he thrown out of Arizona for the same thing....

???:confused: ???

He has a disgruntled player who wants off the team or a raise in salary. The Jets so far are saying no to both requests. This player is only on the Jets because he ratted out his last HC for OTA violations.

If you're going to break the rules, make sure this guy's out of the f'ing room when you do it.

If it was Kendall, he gone.

If not, just look at the boxing thing that went on with Atlas and how it was aired on ESPN. Maybe thats all it could've taken for the NFLPA to look into it.

If it was Kendall, he gone.

If not, just look at the boxing thing that went on with Atlas and how it was aired on ESPN. Maybe thats all it could've taken for the NFLPA to look into it.

my understanding of the rule is that the violation has to be reported by a player...

my understanding of the rule is that the violation has to be reported by a player...

Then if thats the case the obvious 1A and 1B choices would be Pete Kendall and Laveranues Coles, although I highly doubt Coles would say anything, except to the media on how "hard" they are.

I'm putting my money on Kendall if thats how it has to go for the NFL PA to get involved.

Even more reason to cut ties with a decent, greedy, 34 year old OG who will not find more then $1.7 million a year on the open market.

Then if thats the case the obvious 1A and 1B choices would be Pete Kendall and Laveranues Coles, although I highly doubt Coles would say anything, except to the media on how "hard" they are.

I'm putting my money on Kendall if thats how it has to go for the NFL PA to get involved.

Even more reason to cut ties with a decent, greedy, 34 year old OG who will not find more then $1.7 million a year on the open market.

if he did do it, then it may not be the first time.... it was rumored that he did the same thing in Az under Dennis Green as I mentioned above.

BY BOB GLAUBER

bob.glauber@newsday.com

June 19, 2007

Chad Pennington barked out the signals, took the snap and faded back to pass. As he looked for an open receiver, Shaun Ellis rushed hard from left end and was blocked by tackle Anthony Clement and guard Brandon Moore. Pennington threw to Laveranues Coles over the middle.

It seemed like a routine play Friday during minicamp as the Jets went through final preparations before the opening of training camp next month. But it may have been a violation of the NFL's collective-bargaining agreement, which strictly prohibits contact of any kind during the offseason.

According to the CBA, "Contact work [e.g., 'live' blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run] is expressly prohibited in all offseason workouts." Appendix L adds: "No live contact; no live contact drills between offensive and defensive linemen."

These rules apply to all offseason workouts, whether or not the day has been designated as an OTA (organized team activity) by the club. They also apply to mandatory and voluntary minicamps.

As a result of those drills, the Jets face the possibility of being sanctioned by the NFL Players Association. On Friday, the union slapped the Raiders with a CBA violation; the team confirmed it was hit with a week embargo on any further offseason work. Other teams routinely stage contact drills, although they are rarely reported to the league or to the NFLPA and go mostly unpunished.

The Jets' offseason is largely completed, with the team on a break until training camp, although the practice facility remains open if players want to train on their own. The NFLPA still might issue a fine and might request video of the minicamp drills to determine whether violations occurred.

Jets coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Who could have reported this....... Kendall? Wasn't he thrown out of Arizona for the same thing....

If it was Kendall he should have done it sooner if he wanted to cause a problem. This means nothing at this point. They are done with OTA's and Mini-Camp. All the league can really do now is fine them and/or make the players lift weights somewhere else for a week. They can't mess with training camp time over this. This whole thing really is meaningless.

if he did do it, then it may not be the first time.... it was rumored that he did the same thing in Az under Dennis Green as I mentioned above.

Kendall definitely did file a complaint with the union when he was in Arizona which is what led to him being cut. I'm not sure if it was for the same exact thing but it was definitely quite similar.

it may not have been Kendall who blew the whistle but I wouldn't put it past him or his agent-who I am wary of-I wouldn't be surprised if that guy gives us trouble getting Revis signed since he also represents him

BY BOB GLAUBER

bob.glauber@newsday.com

June 19, 2007

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of Kendall 1st. He certainly has the motive and the past reputation to do it. I'd let the Rat Fink rot on my roster if I were the Jets.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of Kendall 1st. He certainly has the motive and the past reputation to do it. I'd let the Rat Fink rot on my roster if I were the Jets.

If it was Kendall I'd keep him on the roster and make him a 3rd string...Even if we don't have a 2nd string.

So Kendall is a "rat fink" for blowing the whistle on the team conducting unauthorized contact workouts? He was the union rep in Arizona. Who the hell else is supposed to write the letter? You want to say the CBA has no teeth and is all against the players. You want to say the players should stick to their guns if they want things to change. Then when a player complains about work practices that are against the rules you want to cut him and call him names? I'm sure you'll be happy when your union rep is right by your side digging ditches or writing memos or whatever you do on a Saturday in the middle of your vacation. You guys would probably love it. At least he's not a "rat fink."

If this did happen, it really doesn't matter who told the NFLPA. The Jets should be aware of the terms of the CBA with the Players Union. If the league has committed to not allowing contact during these sessions, then there should not be any. Don't blame Kendall or whoever spoke to the players association because this should not have happend in the first place.

It doesn't only take a player. NFLPA may have requested tapes from all teams because of what the raiders did... However, it does USUALLY come from a player.

See, if you cut Kendall because of this... it's exactly what he wants...

It doesn't only take a player. NFLPA may have requested tapes from all teams because of what the raiders did... However, it does USUALLY come from a player.

See, if you cut Kendall because of this... it's exactly what he wants...

Technically, I don't think you can cut a player to retaliate for making such a claim. Particularly if it's valid. I believe that's why Kendall was cut from the Cards for "unspecified reasons".

Kendall and any football players that whine to the union are grown men! They get paid millions of dollars a year and some contact practices are REALLY going to make them tired. Awww, just give Kendall a pacifier, a blankie and a hug while we're at it. Its sad how when unions give power to the workers, they get LAZY and CORRUPT. Like in Oakland, come on, they go 1-15, AND THEY ARE GOING TO COMPLAIN!!!! If Kendall likes it soft, SHIP HIS ASS OFF TO KANSAS CITY. There is enough ribs over there that he could stuff his fat face with to keep him happy for a while.

If we get charged for this I will be pissed. It's a well known fact that all minicamps involve contact even though they aren't supposed to. Last year the Redskins had a picture showing contact on their site for a few days and nothing happened.

If this did happen, it really doesn't matter who told the NFLPA. The Jets should be aware of the terms of the CBA with the Players Union. If the league has committed to not allowing contact during these sessions, then there should not be any. Don't blame Kendall or whoever spoke to the players association because this should not have happend in the first place.

Welcome back Mr. MAWAE...i`m sure. This should make BRENDA`s day....

Welcome back Mr. MAWAE...i`m sure. This should make BRENDA`s day....

It's good to be back, but the facts are the facts there is a contract provision that prohibits this activity. People are quick to say that Kendall should honor his contract (which I agree with), then the teams in the league should honor their contract with the Union.

BTW Who the hell is Brenda...

So Kendall is a "rat fink" for blowing the whistle on the team conducting unauthorized contact workouts? He was the union rep in Arizona. Who the hell else is supposed to write the letter? You want to say the CBA has no teeth and is all against the players. You want to say the players should stick to their guns if they want things to change. Then when a player complains about work practices that are against the rules you want to cut him and call him names? I'm sure you'll be happy when your union rep is right by your side digging ditches or writing memos or whatever you do on a Saturday in the middle of your vacation. You guys would probably love it. At least he's not a "rat fink."

It is the principle man...all 32 teams have contact during OTAs, it is impossible not to! The Raiders are under the scope for the same thing. I understand someone being a rat on that squad, as we are all aware of their disfunctional demeanor, but the Jets are supposed to be a team made up of "character" guys willing to do whatever it takes to prepare to win. Now, someone has taken away from the team first mentality and put doubt in the minds of some of the younger players about Mangini. This could be catastrophic on some levels...

It is the principle man...all 32 teams have contact during OTAs, it is impossible not to! The Raiders are under the scope for the same thing. I understand someone being a rat on that squad, as we are all aware of their disfunctional demeanor, but the Jets are supposed to be a team made up of "character" guys willing to do whatever it takes to prepare to win. Now, someone has taken away from the team first mentality and put doubt in the minds of some of the younger players about Mangini. This could be catastrophic on some levels...

The principle is that a union rep is supposed to be a rat. Especially regarding violations of the CBA. Besides, I'd say they had full warning that Kendall was going to be disruptive. If the FO can't handle it they have only themselves to blame. Besides, as AE4 suggested, it's possible that nobody "ratted" but that the NFL just requested the tapes. FWIW, I believe Jim Finn had a season ending shoulder injury blocking during non-contact OTA drills.

I'll be pissed if the Jets have a problem because of this, but I'm all for sticking it to the Man. Players have been getting abused for far too long.

The principle is that a union rep is supposed to be a rat. Especially regarding violations of the CBA. Besides, I'd say they had full warning that Kendall was going to be disruptive. If the FO can't handle it they have only themselves to blame. Besides, as AE4 suggested, it's possible that nobody "ratted" but that the NFL just requested the tapes. FWIW, I believe Jim Finn had a season ending shoulder injury blocking during non-contact OTA drills.

I'll be pissed if the Jets have a problem because of this, but I'm all for sticking it to the Man. Players have been getting abused for far too long.

We have no proof it was Kendal and I do not think he's a rep anymore anyway. If reps are supposed to be rats, then there are 30 or so that are not eating the cheese. It is my understanding that this had to come from a player, but I cannot testify to the validity of that understanding. Regardless, I wish this would not have happened to the Jets and I hope there are no negative effects that stem from this incident.

If it was Kendall doing it to look out for the players that's one thing. But I have a feeling it was Kendall doing it to be a little bitch and try to force his way out. He's done it once before in Arizona. It's not hard to believe he's trying to do it again here.

Archived