Kendall blasts Jets NY Daily News

Kentucky Jet

Kendall blasts Jets for 'smear campaign'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, June 24th 2007, 8:33 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story

Ten days ago, Jets guard Pete Kendall went public with his unhappiness over his contract situation, demanding to be released or traded. His feelings haven't subsided. If anything, he's madder than ever.

Beyond the money issues, Kendall is steamed by what he perceives as a "good cop, bad cop" smear campaign being waged by the Jets, and he vented those opinions yesterday in a phone interview with the Daily News.

He also addressed speculation that, as the Jets' union rep, he blew the whistle on coach Eric Mangini for running minicamp practices last weekend that may have violated league rules on offseason contact. The NFL Players' Association reportedly is looking into whether the Jets broke any rules.

Kendall said he hasn't been contacted by the NFLPA, but when asked if he notified the union of alleged violations, he replied, "I'm not going to confirm or deny any of that. I guess in the court of public opinion I've been tried, but I'm not going to offer a defense or accept guilt."

Asked if he believes that Mangini's practices included too much contact, Kendall simply said, "I'm not going to comment" - a response that spoke volumes.

Kendall, seeking a $1 million raise on his $1.7 million salary for 2007, is irked more by the way the organization has handled his contract request. He accused the club of trying to discredit him by leaking false information.

After a positive March meeting with Mangini in which the coach encouraged candid, two-way dialogue, Kendall was dismayed to read a report a few weeks later that said the Jets wanted to dump him because he's a locker-room lawyer.

"When Eric says one thing, and somebody else seemingly in the organization leaks negative stuff about me, it leaves me scratching my head," Kendall said. "It's like good cop, bad cop.

"I know I've taken my lumps - that happens when an athlete goes public with a contract dispute - but when the organization starts lying - or maybe 'misspeaking' is the term I should use - it leaves a bad taste."

Kendall said the last straw came the day after his minicamp diatribe, when he read several reports that said he was offered a one-year contract in 2006, the inference being it was his choice to take the security of a four-year deal. He called that a "complete falsehood," insisting it was leaked by the organization. Sources later confirmed that, technically, he never was offered a one-year contract.

"It's upsetting to me because it gets spun that I've been disloyal to them," said Kendall, who skipped the voluntary workouts but reported to the mandatory minicamp. "To put those things out there - the clubhouse lawyer and the one-year offer - and to lie and retract it the next day . . . it shows me how na

Now we are seeing why DennY Green didnt need more than 2 weeks of his first training camp to send this guy on his way.

Somebody should tell Peter to pop in the tape of the Pats playoff game last year and watch himself get thrown around by Richard Seymour and then ask himself if he should make such a huge stink about a pay raise. Nothign wrong with wanting a pay raise but the way he is going about it to the media is totally classless. The last straw for me is when Pete told some scribe that he had a sit down with Mangini in March and Eric gave him organizational dirt, pretty much hinting/threatening to go public with what Mangini told him. Petty move there.

I really believe Kendall believes the Jets owe him something for tutoring/mentoring Dbrick and Mangold last year...

Dear Pete....

Thanks for everything...Good luck with your new team.

I can't see many teams signing him. He's a 34 year old undersized guard demanding to be paid well at his position. You can get a cheaper younger option that will either be better than him or will be within the next year or two.

And people were supporting this guy when this thing first came to light...I'm hoping Kendall's fans all gave up on him by now.

Now we are seeing why DennY Green didnt need more than 2 weeks of his first training camp to send this guy on his way.

Somebody should tell Peter to pop in the tape of the Pats playoff game last year and watch himself get thrown around by Richard Seymour and then ask himself if he should make such a huge stink about a pay raise. Nothign wrong with wanting a pay raise but the way he is going about it to the media is totally classless. The last straw for me is when Pete told some scribe that he had a sit down with Mangini in March and Eric gave him organizational dirt, pretty much hinting/threatening to go public with what Mangini told him. Petty move there.

I really believe Kendall believes the Jets owe him something for tutoring/mentoring Dbrick and Mangold last year...

same words; different board! SLIK should see this! LOL IMO Kendall is a jerk and you are right! SEWYMOUR creamed him in the playoffs! Why do we need the jerk?

didn't kendall last year said on a interview after a loss at jacksonville. that the jets stunk and how furios he was. and now he blows a whistle on tougher practices. what a homer. talk about loyalty u just betrayed the organization, the team, and the fans. by going public like that. i liked him before but now his ass should be cut and done with already

ditto on all the above....

he claims the Jets were manipulating the press by leaking rumors about him (that he had the option to sign a 1 year deal and that he was a clubhouse lawyer) to the press, which weren't true, and then later retracting them once the damage was done. But the press that reported this (leberfeld) claims he didn't get this information from the Jets...

http://jets.scout.com/2/654047.html

...looks to me like it's kendall who's the one that's trying to manipulate the press

i'm sorry but the jets CAN NOT keep kendell any longer. i absolutely loved kendell and everything, but face it now if the jets answer his demands it'll show that the front office is weak and set a terrible example. along with this, we don't need him being a total locker room distraction for the entire season. this guy's gotta have some value on the market, and test those options but inevitably he's gonna be cut.

Jesus. He should just shut up. What a complete non story.

Right Mike. Kendall's running his mouth is the only thing keeping this non-story alive. I guess he figures if he pisses them off enough they'll release him; and that's just what he wants.

you don't cut him now, that's what he wants. Let him stew, he has no leverage. He'll limp back into camp with his tail between his legs because he won't give up the payday, or else he'll sit out and his career will be over. Its a tough business and the Jets can't give in or else every player will have their hand out.

wow everyone now hates Kendall, I guess Tangini is the best thing that ever happened..just like after Herm's first year. I would love to know how you would all act if this bs was happening to you..but wait I know how you would react..the same way Pete is

you don't cut him now, that's what he wants. Let him stew, he has no leverage. He'll limp back into camp with his tail between his legs because he won't give up the payday, or else he'll sit out and his career will be over. Its a tough business and the Jets can't give in or else every player will have their hand out.

Thats's exactly what the Jets are going to do. Its quite obvious that the Jets feel comfortable going into camp with the LG position to be a battle between Adrien Clarke and Wade Smith. So, if Kendall wants to play and make the money he's due on his contract, he'll come to camp and work hard to beat out Clarke and Smith for the starting job. If he decides to keep complaining, he will rot on the bench, if he holds out, he'll rot on the bench and won't make any money. With Clarke and Smith in place, the Jets are prepared to sit back and let Kendall call the shots.

wow everyone now hates Kendall, I guess Tangini is the best thing that ever happened..just like after Herm's first year. I would love to know how you would all act if this bs was happening to you..but wait I know how you would react..the same way Pete is

The NFL, afterall, is a business, and both the teams and players need to do what they feel is best for themselves.

I said it before and I'll say it again now, Kendall is the best lineman we've had for the past 3 years. There is no coincidence that Martin won the rushing title the year Kendall showed up. People that say he's not good are either ignorant or being emotional in their evaluation in light of these events. 2 years ago this guy had to play out of position with an OL of practice squad players due to injuries, last year he was sandwiched between 2 rookies. This guy did alot for this team and deserved the modest raise he's asking for. I think it was a mistake early on to not pay him. That being said, now that we are at this point I see no alternative but to either cut him or trade him. This has blown up to ridiculous proportions. I love our FO, but I think they could have handle this better early on.

I doubt we can get anything much for him. If we couldn't get a 4th-rounder in a weak draft, what are we going to get now that said draft is over & all this stuff is in the papers?

Basically he doesn't have much trade value now, or at least until some team loses their #1 guard before the season starts & they have garbage behind him.

I am pretty sure the press wouldn't listen to me, and if I spread it among my co-workers I'd get fired.

You mean if I was a football player? First, I would never blow the whistle on a tough practice. Second, At 34, I would have already saved enough money to retire and live comfortably, so I wouldn't really care too much. I wouldn't go around talking trash about the organization though.

i'm not so sure. How many players actually go public with contract disputes? not that many.

Pete Kendall is fastly turning into a huge pile of scum and should be released in the coming weeks. I don't care if there is a fall off with either Adrien Clarke or Wade Smith, we do not need this **** spewing out from him and it seems to me that he was definitely the culprite, trying to get Mangini & Co. in trouble by playing tattle tail to the NFL PA. Be tough and get over it Pete. Oh, and have fun finding another NFL gig that will give you more then $1.7 million a year. You're 34 years old and on the down side of your career. Good luck scum.

There is no way in hell Smith and or Clarke are ready to start for 16 games..this is bs the Jets are trying to act tough..they want to penny pinch cut Kimo...oh wait that was part of their regime...hmmm

mangini will start whoever is ready to start

I said it before and I'll say it again now, Kendall is the best lineman we've had for the past 3 years. There is no coincidence that Martin won the rushing title the year Kendall showed up. People that say he's not good are either ignorant or being emotional in their evaluation in light of these events. 2 years ago this guy had to play out of position with an OL of practice squad players due to injuries, last year he was sandwiched between 2 rookies. This guy did alot for this team and deserved the modest raise he's asking for. I think it was a mistake early on to not pay him. That being said, now that we are at this point I see no alternative but to either cut him or trade him. This has blown up to ridiculous proportions. I love our FO, but I think they could have handle this better early on.

your making him out to be a probowler when he is barely a starter. dont eat your cookies before you cookem

Pete Kendall is fastly turning into a huge pile of scum and should be released in the coming weeks. I don't care if there is a fall off with either Adrien Clarke or Wade Smith, we do not need this **** spewing out from him and it seems to me that he was definitely the culprite, trying to get Mangini & Co. in trouble by playing tattle tail to the NFL PA. Be tough and get over it Pete. Oh, and have fun finding another NFL gig that will give you more then $1.7 million a year. You're 34 years old and on the down side of your career. Good luck scum.

No, he shouldn't be released. We have the cap room to keep him on for his 1.7 million dollars. If he wants to play another season in the NFL, he'll have to work hard in camp to win the spot over Clarke/Smith. If not, he can sit on the bench and rot away the rest of his career. Its that simple. The Jets should not stoop to his level by overreacting in a way that may end up doing more harm than good.

And if they're going to release him, it will be right at the end of training camp when it is totally clear that he either doesn't want to or is not good enough to contribute to the team this coming season.

Kendall starting to sound like Mr. 'Penny is a egg' Mawae did when the unibrow was getting ready to be JETtisoned

Yes, and I remember the outcry of..''There's no way Mangold will ever replace Mawae in his rookie year''. those people shut up quickly.

Archived