Enough Is Enough

Maxman

is that the one she takes self defense classes to fight the ex husband? god I feel pathetic that I know this

LOL.

When I was driving out to tc on Monday, they were discussing this on the FAN, and someone mentioned how the Jets mgt seemed to be taking advantage of the political capital it has with the fans to take this stubborn approach without fear of being abused by the fans.

But what worries me about this impasse, is that there is no real middle ground on which to compromise. He cant agree to meet in the middle and sign for 5 1/2 years. Unlike a money dispute, where they can agree to settle for a number in between, this is a situation where one side will have to cave.

That's what makes it frustrating, since the parties are painted in two corners, and someone is going to have to give in if a deal is going to be made.

It isnt a term that is really negotiable- it's one way or the other.

And speaking of no middle ground, as much as Kendall has been acting like a twerp, I didnt see the Jets do anything to make themselves look flexible in this situation, either. I dont like how these two situations are reflecting on mgt., and I am sure the players have taken notice of it, too.

Jennifer-Lopez-Biography.jpgstory.jpg

Good job, 4H. Maybe one day we will be cutting and pasting your news with the other reporters!

The Kendall thing is tough. My gut says the minute the Jets release him, he will be in a Patriot's uniform. Or a Dolphin's uniform.

Jetcane I could not agree more with that premise. I think the Jets are taking advantage of their glorified status and currently I think are coming off like jacka$$es to the players. It is ok to try to mimic the Pats but they are not the Pats. The tough line credibility comes from winning extensively not one year wonders. As you said there is no middle ground and with the Revis case this is both hurting the player and the team

I am concerned that this young mangment team may be just a little too arrogant for their own good.

Their arrogance is really being shown in the Revis situation. Their insisting on a 6 year deal when the picks immediately before him and after him have signed five year deals makes no sense to me. IMO Revis not being in camp is completely the fault of the FO.

On Kendall, while I appreciate the stance on the contract, putting him in the rookie dorm and playing him with the second line does not make sense to me. It is beyond arrogant it is almost petty. If you are taking the position that he is under contract, then treat him like the veteran player he is. If the Jets have no intention on keeping him then give him his release and let him the hell out of NY...Kendall is not going to shut up, so at what point is his continuing to be a distraction the FO's fault. Either pay him or cut him but this is a matter that should be resolved and soon.

Good job, 4H. Maybe one day we will be cutting and pasting your news with the other reporters!

The Kendall thing is tough. My gut says the minute the Jets release him, he will be in a Patriot's uniform. Or a Dolphin's uniform.

Which is why I'm wondering if there have been any teams coming in with trades. If other teams know we are going to release him then though won't offer anything. If it's gotten to that point then we need to cut him or pay him his dough and move on to the Revis situation.

I am concerned that this young mangment team may be just a little too arrogant for their own good.

Their arrogance is really being shown in the Revis situation. Their insisting on a 6 year deal when the picks immediately before him and after him have signed five year deals makes no sense to me. IMO Revis not being in camp is completely the fault of the FO.

On Kendall, while I appreciate the stance on the contract, putting him in the rookie dorm and playing him with the second line does not make sense to me. It is beyond arrogant it is almost petty. If you are taking the position that he is under contract, then treat him like the veteran player he is. If the Jets have no intention on keeping him then give him his release and let him the hell out of NY...Kendall is not going to shut up, so at what point is his continuing to be a distraction the FO's fault. Either pay him or cut him but this is a matter that should be resolved and soon.

I agree on Revis, although all might not be as it appears in the media. If the Jets are insisting that Revis sign a contract less favorable than all the 1st rounders around him on other teams, that would be unreasonable. There maybe details, however, that we are not privy to.

On Kendall, it seems dangerous to let a player out of his contract simply because he is a malcontent. What is to prevent other players from using that approach to becoming free agents whenever they want? Just come to camp, badmouth the team and go thru the motions, then get rewarded by being released and going the highest bidder of your choice. I don't think the Jets can let him do that. I think eventually he shuts up and plays.

There is always room to negotiate. Yes, they can't sign him to a 5 1/2 year contract, but they can offer him a little more to sign a 6 year deal. Or offer a little less for them to settle for the 5 year deal. At this point, both sides have to win something and give up something or it will stay ugly.

Do I have to go over there and straigthen this out? Geeeez :)

I agree on Revis, although all might not be as it appears in the media. If the Jets are insisting that Revis sign a contract less favorable than all the 1st rounders around him on other teams, that would be unreasonable. There maybe details, however, that we are not privy to.

On Kendall, it seems dangerous to let a player out of his contract simply because he is a malcontent. What is to prevent other players from using that approach to becoming free agents whenever they want? Just come to camp, badmouth the team and go thru the motions, then get rewarded by being released and going the highest bidder of your choice. I don't think the Jets can let him do that. I think eventually he shuts up and plays.

I see your point about Kendall, but they should treat him like a veteran i.e. put him in the veteran dorm, play him with the starting line, and call it a day.

Good article Tys, and I think we all agree that its time for Tanny to get off his high horse and give Revis the 5 year deal just like everybody else AND to find a way to deal with Kendall, whether it is suspend him and keep him off-limits to the media or to trade him or release him. I don't care if releasing him means other players can come out, so be it. If they don't want to be here, they don't want to be here. Kendall at 34 and in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal does not deserve a increase in money.

Good article Tys, and I think we all agree that its time for Tanny to get off his high horse and give Revis the 5 year deal just like everybody else AND to find a way to deal with Kendall, whether it is suspend him and keep him off-limits to the media or to trade him or release him. I don't care if releasing him means other players can come out, so be it. If they don't want to be here, they don't want to be here. Kendall at 34 and in the 2nd year of a 4 year deal does not deserve a increase in money.

Of course i believe kendall is acting like a twerp, and Jets have been petty with him by putting him in the rookie dorm for a night, but didnt the Jets restructure his contract downward before it expired? Isnt what he wants is to restructure it upward?

I just want to be clear as to whether the team has ever restructured contracts before they expired or not. Thanks.

I think the 2 situations are different.

Kendall was a problem in Arizona under Denny green, who isn't known as a hard guy at all. He only negotiated a contract last years, and now he's unhappy. As day follows nith, Pete Kendall wants more money.He's solid, not great guard. If he can be rpelaeced, so be it.

As to Revis, settle up already and be done with it, unless you're looking forward to David Barrett getting burned 4or 5 times every game. The spot opposite Dyson was a black hole. Do the 5 years and be done with it.

While I also would like to see Revis in right now and agree he should get a 5 year deal, this notion the the FO does anything at all with the fan sentiment in mind (other than the pursuit of winning) is a little self serving. They are following the plan they have in place that they believe givews them the best chance to win, I'm pretty sure that fan sentiment on contract negotiations is not in that overall plan.

Tyson Rauch has apparently had enough. Get Revis in here and do something about Kendall!

On the front page now.

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=1004

I am in minority on the this subject, however, I am happy with the stance of the NYJ. Kendall signed a contract. The Jets are honoring their part of the deal, they are paying him just like the contract stated. Suddenly, Kendall decides that he does not like the contract and that he deserves more. Well that's some tough crap. In many organizations, the contracts are not worth the paper that they are written on....Remeber the Bill Bellichick one day fiasco? When and if the Jets decide to release him, it will be on their terms and no one else's. I was unsure about how to feel about having young men running our organization, now I see that they throwbacks and very fair. When someone deserves a pay raise, they give contracts and money. I hope they screw Kendall so badly so that no one in their right minds will pull this crap again with the Jets. On a personal note, "F U Pete"

Kendall's hissy fit and constant whining has used up whatever sympath I might have had for his plight. No way Jets should cave in and give him what he wants. Some team will give them a 7th rounder before TC is over, hopefully he can be exiled to Tampa Bay or Detroit. No way Jets should let him get to Miami or New England. I'd keep him as backup before I'd let that happen.

Reavis is different. Would really like to see a compromise worked out that lets him get started with his career. Dyson and Barrett seem destined to be our Day 1 starters and thats fine but both seem fragile and susceptible to nagging injuries. Miller and Reavis should provide much needed depth, but both need plenty of work.

The Patriots did the same thing with Ben Watson, Watsons agent wanted 5 years, Pats wanted 6. Watson folded after a short hold out. As important as it is for Revis to be in camp learning the system, it's more important that the Jets F.O. sends the message that they are in charge, not the player or the agent. Every single player picked by the Jets from here on out will be looking at how this pans out. If the Jets fold, players, and agents will not think twice to do the same thing. Jet fans need to realize there is more at stake here than just this year.

The Patriots did the same thing with Ben Watson, Watsons agent wanted 5 years, Pats wanted 6. Watson folded after a short hold out. As important as it is for Revis to be in camp learning the system, it's more important that the Jets F.O. sends the message that they are in charge, not the player or the agent. Every single player picked by the Jets from here on out will be looking at how this pans out. If the Jets fold, players, and agents will not think twice to do the same thing. Jet fans need to realize there is more at stake here than just this year.

I completely agree.

Good post!

I am in minority on the this subject, however, I am happy with the stance of the NYJ.

I think you're actually in the majority. Almost everyone here is sick of Kendall complaining that his pussy hurts.

I occasionally raise the counter-argument on this subject just to take the devil's advocate position.

I think you're actually in the majority. Almost everyone here is sick of Kendall complaining that his pussy hurts.

I occasionally raise the counter-argument on this subject just to take the devil's advocate position.

Many other teams have done nothing to make sure that a contract is honored. I hope that the Jets make an example of PK and that they release him right before the start of the regular season.

The Jets holding out for six years unfortunately has no precedent as practically all the draftees are getting 5 year deals.

Yup, i think only 1 first rounder has taken a 6 year deal.

It just feels to me like the jets took a giant gamble moving up in the draft in rounds 1 and 2 and they want to make sure they get the most value they can for the sacrificed picks, but that is not Revis's concern, he shouldn't have to take a 6er and be the chump of the class.

Is that the movie with the chick with the big @ss??

Yea, lets get this thread back to J-Lo topic. ENOUGH Yea, her booty is legendary. There are books written about it, some are children's books. Makes a good bedtime story. Some say she could warm a house of 12 during mid winter with that thing.

You know what allows you a long leash as a head Coach in this league? Winning. You win and you get to call the shots and you can be teflonized.

But, if chinks start to appear in that teflon , its veneer begins to shrink very, very quickly. Not only in the eyes of the fans and the media, but in the players themselves. That isw eher it can get tricky.

Give the Tangini duo credit in that they have gumption and moxy. But that can turn on you quickly, if things don't work out. They had better be careful how they tread.

You know what allows you a long leash as a head Coach in this league? Winning. You win and you get to call the shots and you can be teflonized.

But, if chinks start to appear in that teflon , its veneer begins to shrink very, very quickly. Not only in the eyes of the fans and the media, but in the players themselves. That isw eher it can get tricky.

Give the Tangini duo credit in that they have gumption and moxy. But that can turn on you quickly, if things don't work out. They had better be careful how they tread.

Gumption and moxy? They're in New York. If that's what they have we're all in for a world of ****ing trouble.

It is not a question of who is in charge, it is a question of negotiations. I think the proposal of a six year deal given the length of the contracts that have gone to the draft picks that surround his pick (5) years just does not make sense. A five year deal is consistent with where he was picked in the draft. Insisting on something different is I belive is silly.

The hatred these some of these guys have since they no longer have Edwards spoonfeeding them is really bad joke.

NFL coaches get paid to win. Whether they get along with the media is really irrelevant.

As to "The Sopranos" cameo-who would turn that down?

I really hate the Knute Rockne hafltime speech thing. We had that guy for 5 years; that gets you nowhere.

In the age of the internet, some reporters like O'Connor and Canizzaro aren't going to do very much but whine. Others like Lange and Cimini will find stories. Sorry you now have to work, Ian, you whiny little _____ ______ ______.

Bill Walsh had a different personality.But he wasn't a saint; he had a team that cut-blocked and cheated on the cap and did what ever it took to win. And I find no fault with Walsh doing those things, but just because he died doesn't mean he wasn't as hard-edged as any othe successful NFL HC.

Genius? Not so quick

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By IAN O'CONNOR

RECORD COLUMNIST

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- If you did not know any better, you would believe Eric Mangini was paid millions to suck the life out of every room he ever entered. Mangini emerges from the House of Belichick, a brood of NFL automatons designed to take the entertainment out of your entertainment dollar six days a week.

On the seventh day, you get the payoff: a football team that wins more games than it loses. It doesn't matter that Mangini appears incapable of delivering a Knute Rockne speech at halftime. It only matters that his Jets play with a win-one-for-the-Gipper zeal.

But this is where Mangini had better be careful. Charisma-free guys like him need to keep up their winning percentages to survive, and the moment the losses come raining down faster than the forecast suggested they would, Mangini could land on the jagged edges of a career crisis.

He could become Tom Coughlin in a New York/New Jersey minute.

It might've seemed like a minor miracle on the surface, but what Mangini accomplished in his first season was merely the easy part. Converting Herman Edwards' 4-12 into a 10-6 was no more difficult than Bill Parcells converting Rich Kotite's 1-15 into a 9-7.

The hard part is upgrading a winning team into a Super Bowl team. Parcells couldn't get there with the Jets, losing his one legitimate shot in the Mile High winds before his master plan was sliced in half the following September, severed as cleanly as Vinny Testaverde's Achilles'.

A football program can turn on you faster than a rabid pet. The wrong injury to the wrong guy at the wrong time can make your team vulnerable on every given Sunday.

So until further notice, Mangini is a one-hit wonder. Just another coach who figured out how to lose a playoff game to Bill Belichick.

They call him a genius, anyway. It's a word thrown around sports as easily as a wet towel is thrown around a locker room. Genius. I've been covering pro sports for 20 years and still have only met one.

Bill Walsh. He died Monday, and his wit and wisdom will be missed. So will his style. Walsh was a presence, a personality, a man defined by his intellectual curiosity and public grace.

He represented an era when coaches were far more than scheme-spewing drones.

That era has been replaced by this one, fronted by Belichick. Control-freak coaches who put their franchises in lockdown and refuse to offer the public even the quickest sneak peek inside.

Assistants are muzzled. Questions are dodged. Say-nothing answers are provided in the most mind-numbing tone.

Mangini learned from the best in New England, in more ways than one. In fact, the Jets' coach was so good as a rookie in boring news conference audiences to tears and in winning football games to boot, Belichick turned Jet-green with envy.

He wouldn't refer to his prodigal protege by name, and he wouldn't give him a real handshake at midfield. Beyond that, Belichick kept making the '06 Jets out to be the '72 Dolphins. He kept talking up their talent, his way of talking down Mangini's coaching.

Truth was, Mangini had no running game last year, no Thomas Jones to turn to and his quarterback still had the feel of a man held together by Band-Aids and glue. Chad Pennington made it to the finish line, bless his heart, but he never scrambled away from the notion that one good hit would leave him looking – as the song says – like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone.

Mangini did a hell of a job getting 10-6 out of that, even counting his absurd onside kick call that cost his team the Bears' game. Was his work worthy of the "Mangenius" label stitched to him like a corporate logo?

It's a cute nickname, and an easy headline in a tab. But when approached by the makers of "The Sopranos" to do a cameo in the show's penultimate episode, complete with a Mangenius reference, the coach would've been wise to take a pass. You know, he might've told the HBO people that he needed to win at least one first-round game before doing a five-hour taping, or his players might get the wrong idea.

Not that a football coach would ever let a little success go to his headset.

Whatever. Mangini did his usual thing at camp Monday, walking into a news conference as eagerly as he would step into a lobotomy, and then throwing a whistle around his neck for the start of practice.

Mangini marched from this practice station to that one. He had the standard supply of extra-large speakers facing the field like a battery of cannons, blasting music loudly enough to drown out Pete Kendall's latest contract demands.

He was a control freak in control, but certainly no genius. A genius is a coach who wins a few Super Bowl titles.

A Mangenius? He's a coach who hasn't won any personality contests or playoff games.

The Ian O'Connor Show is every Sunday, 9-10 a.m., on 1050 ESPN Radio

Archived