Kellen's vote of No Confidence

Kentucky Jet

NY SUN Kellen gets a vote of no confidence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mangini Gives Clemens a Vote of No Confidence

Football

By MICHAEL DAVID SMITH

October 25, 2007

Eric Mangini announced that Chad Pennington, not Kellen Clemens, no. 11, will start Sunday.

Jets coach Eric Mangini didn't give Chad Pennington a vote of confidence yesterday. He gave Kellen Clemens a vote of no confidence.

Despite an ugly start to the season that has fans begging for change, Mangini announced that Pennington will keep his job as the Jets' starting quarterback and that Clemens will stand on the sidelines when the Jets host the Buffalo Bills on Sunday at the Meadowlands. In explaining his decision, Mangini cited Pennington's understanding of the Jets' offense and praised his ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage.

But while Mangini can spin his decision as a sign of continuing support for his incumbent quarterback, make no mistake: This is just as much about Clemens as it is about Pennington. It's now been 18 months since the Jets spent a second-round draft pick on Clemens, and he still can't get on the field unless Pennington gets hurt, even though the team is 1

Well, they thoguht enough of him to spenda 2nd rounder on him. There's no Lombardi Trophy presentation to worry about; see if he can play. And if he can't, then there's more decisions to be made this offseason. Either way giving Pennington snaps over Clemens is a total waste of time.

This hypothesis makes no sense unless Mangini is a complete idiot ( and yes, I have to admit that is a possibility). Clemens was certainly not spectacular in his rookie year. Not in TC or pre-season. He had virutally no exposure in the regular season. And yet, this coaching staff must have seen enough potential in him to not even consider David Carr when he was a FA or Brady Quin when he unexpectantly was available in the first round spot that the Jets moved up to. And then, in his second year, Clemens has an outstanding TC and pre-season, shows a lot in the comeback attempt against the tough Ravens defense and now, we are expected to believe Mangini has no faith in Clemens.

No, I think Mangini is just stubborn.

First, that was a great article.

Secondly, I don't think its a matter of the coaching staff having little or no confidnce in Kellen, I believe Mangini is still thinking that with 6 L's you cannot give up on the season. I also believe that he is giving Pennington every chance possible before the Bye Week to revive himself.

If Chad strings together two wins against Buffalo and Washington, we will not see Kellen until December at the earliest. If he losses just one of those games, most likely the Washington game, I can't see Chad starting on the 18th against Pittsburgh.

Secondly, I don't think its a matter of the coaching staff having little or no confidnce in Kellen, I believe Mangini is still thinking that with 6 L's you cannot give up on the season. I also believe that he is giving Pennington every chance possible before the Bye Week to revive himself.

If Chad strings together two wins against Buffalo and Washington, we will not see Kellen until December at the earliest. If he losses just one of those games, most likely the Washington game, I can't see Chad starting on the 18th against Pittsburgh.

I agree that this is probably what Mangini is thinking. And yes, theoretically, even with 6 losses, you don't give up on the season after week 7. However, a small factor to consider is playing in the same division as the 7-0 Patriots. The season IS over.

Like I said. Stubborn.

Yeah, it is hard to give up the season in october and expect the team to still show up and play their @ss off. Look at ATL and Grady JAckson as a perfect example. A good player, not the guy personally responsible for their miserable season, but he is not in the long term plans of the team so they just cut him. The rest of the team wonders aloud why they should put it out there if the team is going to just give up the season. I am sure a lot of guys in the Jets locker room know that Chad is not the reason they are 1-6, heck it really isn't even his side of the ball that is really at fault as much as it is the other side, so benching him in october says to the players that the coaching staff has given up on trying to win this year but they are still gonna expect the players to show up and play and risk injury and everything else. That is not good for the team. In the grand scheme, it is week 8 coming, the half way point, does it really matter if KC gets 9 games or 7 games this year? Probably won't matter much, so why not avoid the lockerroom issues with giving up before the halfway point?

I agree with you 100% thats mangini's thinking. But Am I the only one in thinking that Pittsburgh is just a God awful game to give a QB a 2nd start. I would have liked to see him come in against either the Bengals or the Bills, but bringing him in against that Blitzburgh D???

Even with the bye week i think thats crazy!!!!

I get the feeling that Manginous does not respect Kellen enough to put him in. Knowing that Mathmatically - YOU ARE DONE, GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER! - You try to develop the next season & play the role of the spoiler.

As for pulling Pennington, if Mangini is basing his decision on the numbers, Chad could start all the way to Kansas City on December 30th!

Clemmens should have started two weeks ago & with Mangini, Shottenheimer & Tannenbaum not having confidence in him shows he may have been a mistake to draft him so low just because KC may have wanted KC.

This is not good - WE COULD SUCK FOR MORE THAN JUST THIS SEASON!

Does anyone know how long KC's contract is? I'm guessing it's around 4 years. I'd laugh if he demands to be cut or traded at the end of the season. I fully expect Chad to be the QB next year too. It'd be funny to watch KC become a pro bowler on another team and spank us silly. Maybe the Dolphins.

Hmm.. I wonder why Chad can run the offense better.. experience maybe? Once Clemens figured out the ravens d he looked pretty good so let him see as many defenses this year as possibly. duh

Did he really figure it out, or were the ravens just in some crappy prevent defense and ended up allowing KC a little more leeway? We did head into the 4th 17 nothing and quickly went down 20-0 before we scored.

Did he really figure it out, or were the ravens just in some crappy prevent defense and ended up allowing KC a little more leeway? We did head into the 4th 17 nothing and quickly went down 20-0 before we scored.

It looked like they were still blitzing the entire time, and no matter what, once we got to within a TD what team would be playing the prevent? Clemens moved the ball well even down only a TD, and if not for those drops the game should have been tied up.

It looked like they were still blitzing the entire time, and no matter what, once we got to within a TD what team would be playing the prevent? Clemens moved the ball well even down only a TD, and if not for those drops the game should have been tied up.

They were indeed blitzing, but they werent getting there. Our Pass protection stepped up big time in the end of that game.

They were indeed blitzing, but they werent getting there. Our Pass protection stepped up big time in the end of that game.

he was making some nice throws that the wrs werent used to. the team and #11 gave us a chance to win the game and that is all that matters. We probably would have lost in OT with our d though. We will also never know if clemens can put a game away with a pressing defense on him unless he is actually in a situation like that.

I get the feeling that Manginous does not respect Kellen enough to put him in. Knowing that Mathmatically - YOU ARE DONE, GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER! - You try to develop the next season & play the role of the spoiler.

As for pulling Pennington, if Mangini is basing his decision on the numbers, Chad could start all the way to Kansas City on December 30th!

Clemmens should have started two weeks ago & with Mangini, Shottenheimer & Tannenbaum not having confidence in him shows he may have been a mistake to draft him so low just because KC may have wanted KC.

This is not good - WE COULD SUCK FOR MORE THAN JUST THIS SEASON!

In 2005 when we went 4-12 was everyone screaming for the backup Qb then? Just asking, because I don't recall.

You know the answer is obvious.

Teams up 20-0 play defense differently than when it's 0-0.

In 2005 when we went 4-12 was everyone screaming for the backup Qb then? Just asking, because I don't recall.

In 2005 - ALL WE HAD WAS THE BACKUP!

• Pennington -2nd Rotator Cuff Surgery - REMEMBER?
  • Jay Fiedler - Broken Collar Bone - REMEMBER?
  • Brooks Bolinger - SUCKED!

We had no one at backup because Belichick goes and signs 4 backups - Including Vinny!

Are you even a Jets fan? We went 4-12 because our starter and backup both went out with injury. We figured it was time to replace Pennington then because he never completed a season. Now Pennington can't seem to stay on the field enough, what a guy. I bet CP injured himself again somehow but now he won't use it as an excuse and is playing through it.

Does anyone know how long KC's contract is? I'm guessing it's around 4 years. I'd laugh if he demands to be cut or traded at the end of the season. I fully expect Chad to be the QB next year too. It'd be funny to watch KC become a pro bowler on another team and spank us silly. Maybe the Dolphins.

If Chad is QB next year, I might not be able to watch. That would show incompetence of the Jet organization on the highest of levels.

If Chad is QB next year, I might not be able to watch. That would show incompetence of the Jet organization on the highest of levels.

Or it would mean Kellen sucks... though if thats the case they need to hit up the draft again... ugh

Or it would mean Kellen sucks... though if thats the case they need to hit up the draft again... ugh

That's why, IMHO we need to get Kellen in there soon. Let's see what we have going into next Aprils draft. We DON'T need a repeat scenario of this year in 08'.

If that's the case this regime is nothing but idiots. If they know KC sucks at this point after only 1 NFL Game, then they must have known he wasn't very good back in April and if that's the case, why not draft a QB then?

That would be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a long time. I doubt they could tell if KC were good or not at this point, since he's only started ONE NFL Game. But lets say they think he's not a starting NFL QB. Then why go through the motions of not having any QB? Chad isn't here for the long haul, so if they are rebuilding, why not rebuild with a QB of the Future, instead of hanging onto a kid you never want to play.

I hope they don't think KC sucks, cause if they do, this entire regime should be fired for not having a plan at all. If KC isn't the QB of the future, are we now on a 10 year plan?

If that's the case this regime is nothing but idiots. If they know KC sucks at this point after only 1 NFL Game, then they must have known he wasn't very good back in April and if that's the case, why not draft a QB then?

That would be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a long time. I doubt they could tell if KC were good or not at this point, since he's only started ONE NFL Game. But lets say they think he's not a starting NFL QB. Then why go through the motions of not having any QB? Chad isn't here for the long haul, so if they are rebuilding, why not rebuild with a QB of the Future, instead of hanging onto a kid you never want to play.

I hope they don't think KC sucks, cause if they do, this entire regime should be fired for not having a plan at all. If KC isn't the QB of the future, are we now on a 10 year plan?

IMO you are correct! It is very pathetic and I see the CHAD's fans rooting for KELLEN to fail. Do they think CHADWICK will be our QB for several more years and needs no competition to be the starter? We see all types of what if, But why? coming from them. My question: Are they Jets fans or just root for CHAD? The team MUST build for the futureww. The team winning is the important thing not just CHADWICK or KELLEN! What difference does it make who our QB is just as long as we are winning? 1-6 does not denote winning! Watch the nonsense after we beat BUFFALO! They will fail to mention that we usually beat weak teams with a certain QB at the helm and he usually fails when we play the better teams! Does that even matter to them?

IMO you are correct! It is very pathetic and I see the CHAD's fans rooting for KELLEN to fail. Do they think CHADWICK will be our QB for several more years and needs no competition to be the starter? We see all types of what if, But why? coming from them. My question: Are they Jets fans or just root for CHAD? The team MUST build for the futureww. The team winning is the important thing not just CHADWICK or KELLEN! What difference does it make who our QB is just as long as we are winning? 1-6 does not denote winning! Watch the nonsense after we beat BUFFALO! They will fail to mention that we usually beat weak teams with a certain QB at the helm and he usually fails when we play the better teams! Does that even matter to them?

I don't think I've ever seen a Jet fan rooting for Clemens to fail. Ecurb didn't say he wanted Clemens to fail, just that maybe he's not starting because he's not that good. It's certainly possible. Even people that are disgusted by Penny have to admit he's not the worst qb ever to buckle a chinstrap. It's certainly possible that Clemens is no better and all talk about him energizing not only the passing game but the running game is a pipe dream.

I don't think I've ever seen a Jet fan rooting for Clemens to fail. Ecurb didn't say he wanted Clemens to fail, just that maybe he's not starting because he's not that good. It's certainly possible. Even people that are disgusted by Penny have to admit he's not the worst qb ever to buckle a chinstrap. It's certainly possible that Clemens is no better and all talk about him energizing not only the passing game but the running game is a pipe dream.

what is the saying: You can't see the trees because of the forest? LOL This is about developing a young QB under game conditions! If he sucks; we draft a nother QB next year. If he is the real deal drafting another QB is not so urgent. We have already passed on CUTLER, LEINART, YOUNG. We do not know much about Kellen. Do we wait until next year to find out if he is the real deal just to be nice to veterans? Sorry, but the TEAM comes first! PENNINGTON is not the worst QB to ever play. Where have you seen that written by any Jets fan? I have not seen it. But I do look at the record andwe are 1 and6. We are NOT going to the playoffs this year! Why wait on learning about the KID QB on the bench? What will be gained by playing Pennington? So we beat the BILLS and his fans will be gleeful! The schedule gets a bit harder after that game! The kid should have a chance to show what he has. he might excel or fail. The TEAM has to know before the next draft!

what is the saying: You can't see the trees because of the forest? LOL This is about developing a young QB under game conditions! If he sucks; we draft a nother QB next year. If he is the real deal drafting another QB is not so urgent. We have already passed on CUTLER, LEINART, YOUNG. We do not know much about Kellen. Do we wait until next year to find out if he is the real deal just to be nice to veterans? Sorry, but the TEAM comes first! PENNINGTON is not the worst QB to ever play. Where have you seen that written by any Jets fan? I have not seen it. But I do look at the record andwe are 1 and6. We are NOT going to the playoffs this year! Why wait on learning about the KID QB on the bench? What will be gained by playing Pennington? So we beat the BILLS and his fans will be gleeful! The schedule gets a bit harder after that game! The kid should have a chance to show what he has. he might excel or fail. The TEAM has to know before the next draft!

Amen!!!

First of all, watching the offense when led by Chad is about as exciting as picking the grout from under my toenails. It's been that way for a long time. Even last season, we won 10 games because our D showed up in the second half of the season and led the league in points allowed. It's not like we were some scoring juggernaut.

You play Clemens for 2 reasons: one is it gives the fans SOMETHING to be excited about. Lord knows there's nothing that's even remotely exciting to watch on the field right now. Two, you see if the young QB you drafted in the 2nd round has the goods to be the QB of the future. I don't give 2 craps what he looks like in practice. I want to see him in game action, which is the only place you'll ever know for sure.

Amen!!!

First of all, watching the offense when led by Chad is about as exciting as picking the grout from under my toenails. It's been that way for a long time. Even last season, we won 10 games because our D showed up in the second half of the season and led the league in points allowed. It's not like we were some scoring juggernaut.

You play Clemens for 2 reasons: one is it gives the fans SOMETHING to be excited about. Lord knows there's nothing that's even remotely exciting to watch on the field right now. Two, you see if the young QB you drafted in the 2nd round has the goods to be the QB of the future. I don't give 2 craps what he looks like in practice. I want to see him in game action, which is the only place you'll ever know for sure.

Booz- mangini has lost his mind this year.

ever think he was a Mumbles plant sent out to destroy this franchise?

Archived