I hate to break many hearts here but...

JetFanatic

there is no way in hell that Darren McFadden will be a New York Jet in 2008. I'm just saying this now so everyone doesn't get their hopes up only to have their dreams crushed on draft day. Just think about it, McFadden is hands down the best player coming out this year. With that said, even if the Jets have the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft there is no way that McFadden will be available at the 3rd pick.

McFadden is going to blow everyone away at the NFL Combine and thus raise his stock even more so than it already is. Because of that he is either going to get picked by a team with the 1st or 2nd pick and if not someone will DEFINITELY trade up to draft McFadden. Trust me as this is blatantly obvious. The kid is just too good to be around even at the 3rd pick.

Now I know many will object this, but I'm just speaking realistically. What we have to hope for is that Vernon Gholston has a lights out combine and if we are at the 3rd spot in the draft we can trade down to possibly the 6th or 7th and draft Gholston and get some extra picks on top of that. Our biggest weakness is our offensive line which we can take care of via FA or draft one in the second round.

The lack of a passrush is our second biggest weakness and Gholston will fit the bill if we can get our hands on him.

...I'm done

Good point Arsis,

Right now we're looking at #2-#7.

Also not to burst bubbles out there, but I believe the board has misconceptions about how easy it is to trade down for picks. Top-five trade downs haven't occured for some time now, and this draft doesn't have an elite talent to warrant such an expensive move. The only way we move down is for a team needing a QB (Minny, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore) who can afford to move up (which eliminates Minnesota). For that reason it's actually best to be positioned right in front of Atlanta, giving us the least "expensive" spot to swap out for the draft's "best" QB.

Eh, we could very easily be the #2 pick and when you look around at the other teams who would be ahead of us if we did get #3:

Miami - Ronnie Brown

St.Louis - Steven Jackson

Those teams should not be looking at a Running back under any circumstances.

Excellent point. And, as someone else pointed out, it is not easy trading down from a top five pick, even though both of these teams, with all of their needs, will probably consider it.

The Jets have never had a talent like McFadden at RB. This could be fun.

My heart will not be broken because I believe it would be a horrible job by the Jets organization if they were to select Darren McFadden. We have to go either Offensive Line or Front Seven on the Defensive side of the ball early and often. Enough 35 year old Defensive Ends also. Lets hope we don't see 62 of those guys brought in next year like we did this year.

How is he going to blow everyone away at an event, the NFL Combine, in which he is not even going to run/lift/whatever?

there is no way in hell that Darren McFadden will be a New York Jet in 2008. I'm just saying this now so everyone doesn't get their hopes up only to have their dreams crushed on draft day. Just think about it, McFadden is hands down the best player coming out this year. With that said, even if the Jets have the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft there is no way that McFadden will be available at the 3rd pick.

McFadden is going to blow everyone away at the NFL Combine and thus raise his stock even more so than it already is. Because of that he is either going to get picked by a team with the 1st or 2nd pick and if not someone will DEFINITELY trade up to draft McFadden. Trust me as this is blatantly obvious. The kid is just too good to be around even at the 3rd pick.

Now I know many will object this, but I'm just speaking realistically. What we have to hope for is that Vernon Gholston has a lights out combine and if we are at the 3rd spot in the draft we can trade down to possibly the 6th or 7th and draft Gholston and get some extra picks on top of that. Our biggest weakness is our offensive line which we can take care of via FA or draft one in the second round.

The lack of a passrush is our second biggest weakness and Gholston will fit the bill if we can get our hands on him.

...I'm done

My heart will not be broken because I believe it would be a horrible job by the Jets organization if they were to select Darren McFadden. We have to go either Offensive Line or Front Seven on the Defensive side of the ball early and often. Enough 35 year old Defensive Ends also. Lets hope we don't see 62 of those guys brought in next year like we did this year.

Offensive line aren't built through drafting like I've said before. It should be built through good talent evaluation and good coaching (See Indy and NE). We should not have 3 first round picks on our O-line.

Our main need on defence is a 3-4 NT, there aren't any real standouts who merit going in the 1st round so that's not an option. I wouldn't be too upset if we either traded down or picked Chris Long with our pick. But otherwise I feel it's very possible to get talent on the front 7 in the later rounds.

McFadden is an amazing talent, we can't pass on him. Thomas Jones is almost 30, even if we do provide the O-line he will be burning out soon. RB has to be considered a priority right now.

Well what was the point in trading for Thomas Jones & then giving him a big contract if, one year into that contract, he's being looked upon as just about too old?

I wouldn't be surprised whether we took him or not. Unlike most of our gameplans, this regime is unpredictable on draft day.

I don't think the Jets would see him as too old. When the Jets traded for him, they certainly did not expect to be in a position to possibly draft a Darren McFadden the next year. It comes down to whether or not they think McFadden is one of those exceptional players that you simply can't pass by if you have the chance to get him.

Well what was the point in trading for Thomas Jones & then giving him a big contract if, one year into that contract, he's being looked upon as just about too old?

I wouldn't be surprised whether we took him or not. Unlike most of our gameplans, this regime is unpredictable on draft day.

It was a stupid move to ever sign Jones, he's not in any way a dynamic RB and can't take it the distance even when he is provided the blocking. Hopefully Tangini realise they made a misatke investing in Jones and also realise that he needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.

It was a stupid move to ever draft Jones, he's not in any way a dynamic RB and can't take it the distance even when he is provided the blocking. Hopefully Tangini realise they made a misatke investing in Jones and also realise that he needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Uh we never drafted Jones, we got him for a steal from the bears AFTER HE WAS THE LEADING RUSHER IN THE SUPER BOWL. You seem to be one of the many Jet fans who if players don't put up Hall of Fame numbers in their first season you automatically label them a bust. I guess that mean that 95% of players in the NFL are a bust...

Uh we never drafted Jones, we got him for a steal from the bears AFTER HE WAS THE LEADING RUSHER IN THE SUPER BOWL. You seem to be one of the many Jet fans who if players don't put up Hall of Fame numbers in their first season you automatically label them a bust. I guess that mean that 95% of players in the NFL are a bust...

Oops, I meant signed.

Also no, I'm not one of those guys to label players a bust. Stop bringing out stupid BS like that, there's a big ****ing difference between HOF numbers and flat out sucking!!!!

Jones has been awful even when he's got good blocking this year, he doesn't hit the hole with any kind of pace and can't do anything in the open field. Next year he'll only get older and slower, that's the sad ****ing truth.

Oops, I meant signed.

Also no, I'm not one of those guys to label players a bust. Stop bringing out stupid BS like that, there's a big ****ing difference between HOF numbers and flat out sucking!!!!

Jones has been awful even when he's got good blocking this year, he doesn't hit the hole with any kind of pace and can't do anything in the open field. Next year he'll only get older and slower, that's the sad ****ing truth.

You absolutely loved the Thomas Jones pickup. You shouldnt be throwing any stones at that trade now, Mr.Hindsight.

Myself and a few others were telling you in the offseason, that while Jones is solid, he wasnt going to make us better.

Listen to me now, and hear me later.

You absolutely loved the Thomas Jones pickup. You shouldnt be throwing any stones at that trade now, Mr.Hindsight.

Myself and a few others were telling you in the offseason, that while Jones is solid, he wasnt going to make us better.

Listen to me now, and hear me later.

Indeed I did kinda like the Thomas Jones pickup but he's been terrible this year and at his age I doubt he's going to improve any time soon. Unlike people who just stick to there agendas I allow what happens on the field to atcually influence my opinions.

Indeed I did kinda like the Thomas Jones pickup but he's been terrible this year and at his age I doubt he's going to improve any time soon. Unlike people who just stick to there agendas I allow what happens on the field to atcually influence my opinions.

True. Although your "I did kinda like" is the understatement of the year! :)

Good point Arsis,

Right now we're looking at #2-#7.

Also not to burst bubbles out there, but I believe the board has misconceptions about how easy it is to trade down for picks. Top-five trade downs haven't occured for some time now, and this draft doesn't have an elite talent to warrant such an expensive move. The only way we move down is for a team needing a QB (Minny, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore) who can afford to move up (which eliminates Minnesota). For that reason it's actually best to be positioned right in front of Atlanta, giving us the least "expensive" spot to swap out for the draft's "best" QB.

Darren McFadden is indeed a player that some teams will be willing to trade up for, trust me. He is an elite talent at the RB position. Granted, who knows if his talent is going to cross over the the NFL, but judging at how talented he is teams will trade up to get this guy mark my words.

Eh, we could very easily be the #2 pick and when you look around at the other teams who would be ahead of us if we did get #3:

Miami - Ronnie Brown

St.Louis - Steven Jackson

Those teams should not be looking at a Running back under any circumstances.

Even if we do pick at #2, which is unlikely b/c we will beat the Chiefs, we will trade the pick to a team who actually needs a Darren McFadden and stockpile on more picks.

While I don't think we need Darren McFadden b/c the duo of Jones and Washington with an improved Oline would be more than suitable. We should look to drastically improve our offensive line and our pass rushing.

How is he going to blow everyone away at an event, the NFL Combine, in which he is not even going to run/lift/whatever?

I actually totally forgot that he doesn't even have to run any drills at the combine. He could actually only hurt himself by doing so. IMO I think DMC will be the first player picked in the NFL draft.

Stay away from McFadden.....RB isn't a need

A freakin' men thank you!!!!!

...I'm done

Miami will NOT pick McFadden. Parcells is vehemently against running backs that high. St. Louis has Steven Jackson, they will not take McFadden. He will be there at 3. Trading out of the first 3 spots is almost impossible anymore especially the first pick. For Dallas to move up they would have to give up both first thus year, a second and a second or first next year, and would still be below value in all likelihood. Unless Miami or St. Louis decides to throw out the chart altogether, (which they don't do really) there will be no trade partners for them. Also, the only likely player a team WOULD make that trade is for a franchise, can't miss QB. So if we are at 3, we will have to decide whether we take him or not.

Well then how did you figure Jones was terrible? Noone could have ran behind the line, and it's a credit to Jones that he got 1000+ in my opinion.

Well then how did you figure Jones was terrible? Noone could have ran behind the line, and it's a credit to Jones that he got 1000+ in my opinion.

I agree with this actually. What Jones did this year was really the best case scenario. This line is bad folks, film at 11.

I've seen the line provide decent blocking this season and Jones doesn't take full advantage of it. Even when holes do open up for Jones he either takes to long to hit it or else he misses it completely.

Archived