D-Rob removes his nameplate / Rhodes wants a new deal / So does Chris Baker

jaspegs

Strong safety Kerry Rhodes, coming off his second consecutive strong year, also is in line for a new deal. Rhodes confirmed that his agent has begun preliminary discussions with the Jets. Rhodes is due to become a restricted free agent after the 2008 season, but he's one of their top young players and it makes sense to lock him up, as they did last year with WR Jerricho Cotchery.

"I like the organization, I like the head coach, I like the GM - and that's not sucking up," said Rhodes, due to make $520,000 in 2008.

Also, Chris Baker is looking for a new contract as well.

Quote:

"Hopefully, we'll get something done this year," Baker said.

And what about D-Rob?

Quote:

NT Dewayne Robertson removed the nameplate above his locker.

BACK TO SCHOOL: Secondary coach Mike MacIntyre is leaving to become the defensive coordinator at Duke. There will be some staff upheaval in the coming days and weeks. Eric Mangini also must replace special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, who is leaving for health reasons. Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton likely will be fired. DEFINITE DROP: WR Justin McCareins is a sure bet to be released in the coming months. He finished with only 19 receptions and he's due a large roster bonus in March.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...2.html?ref=rss

HALLELUJAH!!!!!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

It's kind of sad. I always wanted D-Rob to pan out. I feel like a cover-2 will pick him up and make him above average player.

I'm very curious to see how they're going to fix this D-line. IMO our defense is almost there and with a few key acquisitions could be a top-8 defense.

We need to really add either Samuel or Asomugha. That shores up our secondary. Hell we could leave Eric Smith at FS and be set in our secondary for atleast 3 years.

Wow.

I doubt they just got rid of Drob, my guess is he's involved in some sort of trade, maybe involving either Pennington or Vilma. Either way though, good riddance Drob.

Jmac was obvious, and I thought he was going to do well this year...Only if he could catch. ](*,)

And the only real negative here is Mike Westhoff, who the article said was leaving for medical reasons. Here's a guy who was maybe the best ST coach in the history of the league who even interviewed for the NYJ head coaching job just a few short years ago. Ever since he arrived, we couldve put anyone back at KR and they would be top 5 in the league. You will be missed Westhoff!

McCareins is due to be released huh... funny how I don't care. Actually I'm ecstatic, the guy couldn't catch a ball for anything. As for Robertson I would've really liked to see how he could perform as an DE for a whole season, but I won't exactly be losing any sleep with him gone. I'm sure whoever they get to replace will be an upgrade.

It's been said that this team is ready to be big players in FA and hopefully thats what they do. Spend the money and get some players here.

It's been said that this team is ready to be big players in FA and hopefully thats what they do. Spend the money and get some players here.

I wonder who's been saying it? Frustrated fans? I doubt, sadly, that it's Woody sayin it. Just sayin...

I actually think D Rob could still turn it around if he were to get trade to a team like Indy that plays on turf in a dome. Despite his knee he is still quick off the line. He is just not a good fit here at all - but I wish him well.

To all that said J Mac was a better deal than getting TO - I told you so.

I actually think D Rob could still turn it around if he were to get trade to a team like Indy that plays on turf in a dome. Despite his knee he is still quick off the line. He is just not a good fit here at all - but I wish him well.

I'm pretty sure they can't trade DRob. His contract is huge. Doubt anybody would want him at that price, let alone give something up for the privilege.

Is Baker's contract up?

I don't think it is. He's an average starting TE. No reason whatsoever to give him a new contract.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think he signed a very small deal to stay with the team. It may be worth giving him a small bump to stay. NOTE: I said small bump, I do not rate him very highly despite how many lunatics around here think he'd make the pro bowl with _________________. Fill in the blank with a. a better qb. b. a better O line so that he didn't have to stay in and block c. a different OC. Never mind that he doesn't see the ball with the king of dump offs, is a poor to mediocre blocker that is not the blocking TE and hasn't exactly thrived under three or more OCs.

D Rob would be fine IF we played a 4/3 instead of a 3/4. He's NOT a 3/4 NT. Sadly I think we all know that.

I thought we redid his last year or so didn't we?

Cimini reported that he was looking for a new deal. It was reported late in the season that he had received a new deal.

Camp Quiet makes it confusing to follow at times.

Very nice. Obviously Mangini is sticking to the 34 scheme and is tired of Robertson's play in it. Also doesn't help that he is scheduled to make $8 million or more in 2008. I'm sure nobody in the Jets organization is willing to give that to an at best average 34 Nose Tackle, and most of the time he isn't even that. Hopefully he's involved in a trade where a team reworks his contract because I would hate not to be able to get any kind of compensation for him because in the 43 he is still a starting DT.

As for McCareins, he should've been dealt or released last offseason and Tangini sat on their hands and kept him. Now there is no way you can get any value for him after his horrible season and with a roster bonus due to him in March, the Jets are getting no compensation for him. This will be just a straight up release.

Baker has two years remaining on his deal and it should be interesting to see if the Jets plan to talk contract with him now or after the 2008 season. The number one thing to do in house is to re-sign Kerry Rhodes to a 5, 6 or 7 year deal. If that is not done it will put a huge damper in the offseason.

Cimini reported that he was looking for a new deal. It was reported late in the season that he had received a new deal.

Camp Quiet makes it confusing to follow at times.

Baker received zero interest in 2006 as a FA so the Jets resigned him for cheap. The same thing happened this year with RT Clement. And I believe the same thing is gonna happen with Hobson. But I would only bring back Hobson as the fifth LB.

2008 Jet LBs: Thomas, Laurinaitis, Harris, Suggs :D

I'm pretty sure they can't trade DRob. His contract is huge. Doubt anybody would want him at that price, let alone give something up for the privilege.

We'd probably have a tough time trading him, but that's because no one believes we're keeping him & can get him for nothing later (like Trent Green with KC/Mia).

But I wouldn't say he has no trade value. He's a legit starting NFL DT, however ill-suited he is to the 3-4 and however short he came up compared to his lofty pre-draft expectations.

Any team acquiring him would be giving him a new deal; they wouldn't be locked into his existing one & I seriously doubt DRob or his agent would scoff at a shiny, new signing bonus.

What we could get in a trade is anyone's guess. I could see as high as a 3rd-rounder if someone wanted a known-quantity starter, who occasionally has a great game, badly enough. And I could see there being no takers for him whatsoever because of the expectation that we'll release him anyway.

CAP IMPACT:

Pre-draft/Pre-June 1st: Jets save ~5-6M on the 2008 cap.

Post-June 1st (serves little purpose unless we're animals in FA): Jets save ~7-8M on the 2008 cap ($2M more than pre 6/1) but take a hit of ~$2M on the 2009 cap.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think he signed a very small deal to stay with the team. It may be worth giving him a small bump to stay. NOTE: I said small bump, I do not rate him very highly despite how many lunatics around here think he'd make the pro bowl with _________________. Fill in the blank with a. a better qb. b. a better O line so that he didn't have to stay in and block c. a different OC. Never mind that he doesn't see the ball with the king of dump offs, is a poor to mediocre blocker that is not the blocking TE and hasn't exactly thrived under three or more OCs.

Agree with this completely. We took him back when no one wanted him. Then gave him a bump in pay. And now he wants another one? He should think about having a really good season first.

Archived