Jets get Skins 4th rder NEXT year for Kendall

Kentucky Jet

The Jets will receive a fifth-round pick in 2008 if Kendall plays 80 percent of the snaps this year for Washington. If he plays more than that, the pick would be upgraded to a fourth-rounder in 2009.

Kendall started in all 16 games for the Redskins this season and the pick will become a 4th-round pick next year

Mr. T. taking wait-and-see approach with QB

By Lee Roberts, Jets Confidential

Posted Jan 17, 2008

Here is a statement from Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum regarding how he feels about QB Kellen Clemens -

"Like a lot of young players, there are going to be some ups and downs," said Tannenbaum. "There are reasons to be encouraged - some of the two-minute drives that he led. You look at the Miami game, obviously they didn’t have the year that they hoped, but they are still a good defense and he went down there and played well. The two-minute drive against Washington, I thought he did a nice job with. Playing at Baltimore, some of the plays he made in the fourth quarter in their home opener against a good defense. There are some things he's going to do even better.

"Kellen's a great worker, and I expect him to work hard in the off*season. Over the next few months of our off*season program, the OTA’s, minicamp and training camp, we'll see where he is."

A 4th round pick which will not make up for the disruption and the hole it created this past year in the offensive line.

dead on Faba...way to improve the team men..hell one of you could be gone by then

I want to give both of you guys credit. you called this mess in training camp.

should that not have been part of the process Sperm? have an understanding of what you are doing, the impact and the personnel you have to replace?

Duh.

They made a deal to give Kendall a $1M raise the prior season. Jets didn't want to pay it. No problem so far, as this is a business, he was not an elite player, and the team wants to retain its "stance" on not giving raises out 1 year into a new deal.

There were a few high-priced replacements in FA (Steinback, Dockery, Davis) once Dielmann decided to stay with SD for less money.

We passed on them.

There were some guard prospects in the draft. One thought to be a top-tier G prospect (Blalock) and other lesser ones (Ramirez, etc). Grabbing one of them and retaining any flexibility in the draft to grab one would mean not giving up upper round 3 value for Thomas Jones (and/or combinations of not trading up for Revis/Harris, both of whom I'm happy with).

We passed on them.

OK, so here we are, last week of April. The draft is over. Kendall is still upset at this point, but nothing $1M wouldn't make go away before camp starts.

We passed on that.

We left him here to dangle & spread his (understandable) grievances to the press and the rest of the team. During which time, trying things ranging from the rational (starting a potential replacement ahead of him in pre-season to see what we've got) to the childish (the rookie dorm thing which is to fantastic to seriously believe was any type of accident). No other guards showed anything close to the (at least average) production Kendall would likely give us. So at that point we could have just tucked our tail between our legs, pony up the $1M, and been done with it.

We passed on that.

We went with Clarke, who may not even be fit to be a 3rd string backup. This was our starter for virtually the entire season (other than some time given to Carolina castaway Montgomery).

I hate to say it, having been a big supporter of Tannenbaum & Mangini early-on, but these are the actions of amateurs.

Duh.

I hate to say it, having been a big supporter of Tannenbaum & Mangini early-on, but these are the actions of amateurs.

I give the Jet FO a pass on this. It was a huge mistake but everybody makes them (Parcells through away a Jet season for failure to have a legit backup QB when Vinnie went down in 1999). Hopefully, they will have learned from it.

Duh.

They made a deal to give Kendall a $1M raise the prior season. Jets didn't want to pay it. No problem so far, as this is a business, he was not an elite player, and the team wants to retain its "stance" on not giving raises out 1 year into a new deal.

kinda true but also kinda not. The jets first asked him to renegotiate down while the jets were in a rough patch and had him playing hurt and out of position, with the agreement that they would revisit. But when the time came the jets all of a sudden came up with amnesia forgetting that they have no problem renegotiating a contract to their benefit when they decided to take this stance against renegotiations. If you ask me doing this, especially when you have no solid gameplan, is not understandable or excusable.

This move cost us dearly this past season, and I will go out on a limb and say this went a LONG way toward costing Chad his job, not to mention my sig for the next year, lol. Chad got no protection and got creamed and even when he didn't he still had shiiite protection. The only reason KC didn't get wrecked was because he was fast enough to run for his life every few downs.

kinda true but also kinda not. The jets first asked him to renegotiate down while the jets were in a rough patch and had him playing hurt and out of position, with the agreement that they would revisit. But when the time came the jets all of a sudden came up with amnesia forgetting that they have no problem renegotiating a contract to their benefit when they decided to take this stance against renegotiations. If you ask me doing this, especially when you have no solid gameplan, is not understandable or excusable.

This move cost us dearly this past season, and I will go out on a limb and say this went a LONG way toward costing Chad his job, not to mention my sig for the next year, lol. Chad got no protection and got creamed and even when he didn't he still had shiiite protection. The only reason KC didn't get wrecked was because he was fast enough to run for his life every few downs.

Clearly you miss my point.

If they're going to keep him then they have to pay him. If they're not going to pay him then they have to cut or trade him. But you don't let him mope/complain all friggin' summer long to make a point.

What the Jets did made absolutely no sense. If they were going to give him a raise & there was a promise to do so, why not just give him a salary $1M higher when the deal was originally signed? They can still release him & it would have cost them nothing. They wouldn't have gotten any less in trade, since Washington had no problem giving him that very $1M more.

It was amateur hour at Hofstra.

The Jets will receive a fifth-round pick in 2008 if Kendall plays 80 percent of the snaps this year for Washington. If he plays more than that, the pick would be upgraded to a fourth-rounder in 2009.

Kendall started in all 16 games for the Redskins this season and the pick will become a 4th-round pick next year

I had no problem with them JETtisoning Kendall. But that was under the assumption they would replace him with an NFL lineman.
I'm still holding the hope that they do that. But I wished for it immediately rather than a few seasons down the road. It really makes you wonder wtf they're thinking about with some of these moves. What did out OC say when that happened? "Oh - it's ok - we'll get somebody to fill the gap?"

Jebus... C'mon

I'm still holding the hope that they do that. But I wished for it immediately rather than a few seasons down the road. It really makes you wonder wtf they're thinking about with some of these moves. What did out OC say when that happened? "Oh - it's ok - we'll get somebody to fill the gap?"

Jebus... C'mon

yea it was just like Herm telling us that they would "coach up" Adrian Jones to be a starter-and his famous "trust me" comment...talk about a big bust

yea it was just like Herm telling us that they would "coach up" Adrian Jones to be a starter-and his famous "trust me" comment...talk about a big bust

Yeah - he's still coaching him up in KC Jimmy. Must be saving him for when his pro-bowl line wears out. What a total dildonis.

I had no problem with them JETtisoning Kendall. But that was under the assumption they would replace him with an NFL lineman.

You know what I would have love to witnessed? The Mangini meeting with the coaches, immediately after he played up Bender and they kind of gave us the impression he would play at LG.

The coaches had to be like, huh? :smilies2_puke:

You know what I would have love to witnessed? The Mangini meeting with the coaches, immediately after he played up Bender and they kind of gave us the impression he would play at LG.

The coaches had to be like, huh? :smilies2_puke:

When you consider that Adrian Clarke beat him out I really do shudder at the thought of how bad Bender must have been at LG.:shock:

When you consider that Adrian Clarke beat him out I really do shudder at the thought of how bad Bender must have been at LG.:shock:

Clarke beat him out. Montgomery beat him out. Granted he was a LATE pick but they way they talked him up I thought they had something.

Duh.

There were a few high-priced replacements in FA (Steinback, Dockery, Davis) once Dielmann decided to stay with SD for less money.

We passed on them.

There were some guard prospects in the draft. One thought to be a top-tier G prospect (Blalock) and other lesser ones (Ramirez, etc). Grabbing one of them and retaining any flexibility in the draft to grab one would mean not giving up upper round 3 value for Thomas Jones (and/or combinations of not trading up for Revis/Harris, both of whom I'm happy with).

We passed on them.

OK, so here we are, last week of April. The draft is over. Kendall is still upset at this point, but nothing $1M wouldn't make go away before camp starts.

We passed on that.

We left him here to dangle & spread his (understandable) grievances to the press and the rest of the team. During which time, trying things ranging from the rational (starting a potential replacement ahead of him in pre-season to see what we've got) to the childish (the rookie dorm thing which is to fantastic to seriously believe was any type of accident). No other guards showed anything close to the (at least average) production Kendall would likely give us. So at that point we could have just tucked our tail between our legs, pony up the $1M, and been done with it.

We passed on that.

We went with Clarke, who may not even be fit to be a 3rd string backup. This was our starter for virtually the entire season (other than some time given to Carolina castaway Montgomery).

I agree that it seems petulant and amateurish--it just doesn't seem to fit the mold. these guys have been pretty cold and analytical. But as I have said before, Kendall had a rep of being a clubhouse lawyer. That might have set them off. The other thing---perhaps when they evaluated last year's performance, they considered it less than mediocre. That might also explain the hard line. They still misjudged Clarke, which is their greatest sin.

Sperm you are hitting on some important things that may not be talked about alot. Pete Kendall is very respected throughout the NFL and the way he was treated with the Jets was as you stated amateur. In addition with Mangini's no nonsense approach (without really proving anything in the NFL) could make the Jets a tough sell to free agents, in could make them overpay for players. So there one million dollar dispute could cost them more down the line

Sperm you are hitting on some important things that may not be talked about alot. Pete Kendall is very respected throughout the NFL and the way he was treated with the Jets was as you stated amateur. In addition with Mangini's no nonsense approach (without really proving anything in the NFL) could make the Jets a tough sell to free agents, in could make them overpay for players. So there one million dollar dispute could cost them more down the line

they probably will have to overpay some. bad teams do. the teams who have made it draw impact players like flies. point is, get better before you develop a superior attitude.

Clarke beat him out. Montgomery beat him out. Granted he was a LATE pick but they way they talked him up I thought they had something.

I think they fell for his freak of nature size and strength. (How could he not be good he looks the part! We'll just teach him!) If it looks like a Corvette it will drive like a Corvette!!

Archived