Who are you really for as the Starting QB?

MagicBizkit87

Who do you want as the Starting QB  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the Starting QB

• Kellen Clemens
    • Chad Pennington
    • Undecided/Other

As much of a Chad Homer as I am, he lost his job last year and Kellen needs to be vetted as the future of the team (or not). With all the improvements to the line, this is the year if we figure out if he can get the job done.

Also, that being said, having Chad Pennington as your back up QB isn't a bad thing at all.

BZ

As much of a Chad Homer as I am, he lost his job last year and Kellen needs to be vetted as the future of the team (or not). With all the improvements to the line, this is the year if we figure out if he can get the job done.

Also, that being said, having Chad Pennington as your back up QB isn't a bad thing at all.

BZ

Actually I believe that Pennington as backup is terrible.

If Chad has changed his throwing mechanics and can throw a little further and with more velocity, I'd like to see him with the re-vamped O-Line and a running game that actually exists unlike '06 when he took them to the playoffs basically by himself.

Clemens did not impress me at all last year. Yeah, I know the OL was a disaster and it was his first go around with the first unit. It was just an intangible, he didn't look as comfortable as I thought he'd be. But putting Chad back there again this year just flat out scares me. Of course he can run the offense well, but then we have to deal with defenses shortening the field again, and watching those inevitable picks from his attempts to throw the sideline out.

I really wanted us to go after Byron Leftwich. He's huge, has a cannon, and can make all the throws. IMO, Leftwich can become a star with the right system and a QB coach that can get his head on straight and confidence back.

I really wanted us to go after Byron Leftwich. He's huge, has a cannon, and can make all the throws. IMO, Leftwich can become a star with the right system and a QB coach that can get his head on straight and confidence back.

I hope your kidding. Byron Leftwich ?

I hope your kidding. Byron Leftwich ?

Not kidding at all. What would it hurt to bring this guy into camp and let him compete? As I said, has an absolute rifle arm and could deliver the ball D-E-E-P. I don't know what happened to his mechanics and mind after he was hurt for JAX. He looked totally lost at first in Atlanta, but was starting to get back in the swing before he screwed up his ankle. With his size and tools, there is nothing but upside potential if we ever signed him. Check out this vid and look at his size, composure in the pocket, and--especially--the way he chucks the ball. Listen to it pop when the receivers catch it:

wUwSroXdU0E

Clemens did not impress me at all last year. Yeah, I know the OL was a disaster and it was his first go around with the first unit. It was just an intangible, he didn't look as comfortable as I thought he'd be. But putting Chad back there again this year just flat out scares me. Of course he can run the offense well, but then we have to deal with defenses shortening the field again, and watching those inevitable picks from his attempts to throw the sideline out.

Leftwich combines the worst qualities of Pennington (horrible release, totally immobile, injury-prone) and Clemens (struggles reading defenses, scattershot accuracy). He's also dumb as a fencepost and has a history of weight problems. Literally the only thing he offers is a big arm.

BZ

well said

Leftwich combines the worst qualities of Pennington (horrible release, totally immobile, injury-prone) and Clemens (struggles reading defenses, scattershot accuracy). He's also dumb as a fencepost and has a history of weight problems. Literally the only thing he offers is a big arm.

I see exactly what you're saying. But I also know that we still need a "big arm" with pocket presence. It's just my opinion that Leftwich has not played his best football. Like I said in my original post: he needs a QB coach that could reign him in, get him to think before he pitches it, and fix some of the mechanics. Also, please don't disparage fenceposts.:)

I see exactly what you're saying. But I also know that we still need a "big arm" with pocket presence. It's just my opinion that Leftwich has not played his best football. Like I said in my original post: he needs a QB coach that could reign him in, get him to think before he pitches it, and fix some of the mechanics. Also, please don't disparage fenceposts.:)

Sorry Borgo, but I'd much rather see the Jets bring in Daunte Culpepper. Neither is going to happen so it doesn't matter anyway, but Culpepper once was and still is the better Quarterback of the two.

BZ

Yeah and having Kellen as a backup again might not be such a bad thing either.

Sorry Borgo, but I'd much rather see the Jets bring in Daunte Culpepper. Neither is going to happen so it doesn't matter anyway, but Culpepper once was and still is the better Quarterback of the two.

I would sign up for Culpepper today. Have you ever had a player that you thought could be much better than he is, but just hasn't been used properly? That's how I feel about Leftwich for some reason. You're right about it not mattering anyway. Put it in the book: Chad is our starter on opening day. Please let me be wrong.

I would sign up for Culpepper today. Have you ever had a player that you thought could be much better than he is, but just hasn't been used properly? That's how I feel about Leftwich for some reason. You're right about it not mattering anyway. Put it in the book: Chad is our starter on opening day. Please let me be wrong.

I did feel that way about Leftwich, but I have to say the injuries are a major problem with him. His slow release and fearless attitude leave him exposed to so many hits. He was talented but I doubt he'll ever fullfill his potential to be honest.

Culpepper too just hasn't been the same since Randy Moss left. The injuries have hit him hard too and despite some positive moments last year he still does not have the mobility he once did. He also fumbles on contact, which is a bad thing.

Archived