Dave Hutchinson...Gholston struggling to adjust

flgreen

New York Jets' rookie Gholston struggling to adjust

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger Thursday August 14, 2008, 8:31 PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Early in training camp, Jets coach Eric Mangini recalled one day when he first started to watch tape of linebacker Vernon Gholston prior to last April's draft, he marveled at how the Ohio State product "popped" off the screen.

Gholston, said Mangini, seemed to make eye-catching plays every time he turned on the film. Soon, Gholston became the player the Jets had to have to ignite their pass rush, a pass rush they feel they desperately need if they're to dethrone Tom Brady and the Patriots (see Giants, Super Bowl XLII).

But through three weeks of training camp, Gholston, selected sixth overall, is still swimming as he tries to learn a new system -- or "drowning" as Gholston says -- and it appears he may not be ready to make a significant contribution by the Sept. 7 opener in Miami.

Gholston has rarely "popped" during camp this summer. As an outside linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 scheme, he has seemed lost in pass coverage and hasn't been effective when he rushes, often getting blocked by left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Gholston does, however, seem more comfortable rushing than dropping in coverage, which is why the Jets drafted him. He had 14 sacks last season for the Buckeyes.

The Jets attribute Gholston's slow start to him missing nearly all of the offseason program because he couldn't report until the semester at Ohio State was over. But the fact that he has shown so little has to be a bit alarming to the organization.

Gholston, 6-3, 264 pounds, will get another opportunity to show what he can do tomorrow night against the Redskins at Giants Stadium.

"He's converting from basically being a down (defensive end) to a stand-up outside linebacker," said Jets defensive coordinator Bub Sutton, who was allowed to speak with the media for the first time in training camp this summer.

"There's a transition there. You're a little out of your comfort zone. I think the longer he goes here and the more comfortable he gets with the system, he's going to be fine. We need to just keep speeding up the indoctrination. He's working hard at it. He's spending a lot of time after practice both on the field and in the classroom to catch up."

Gholston was credited with three tackles in last Thursday's 24-20 preseason victory over the Browns and didn't distinguish himself.

Perhaps providing the Jets with a bit of solace is the fact that rookie defensive end Chris Long (Rams), whom the Jets liked, is also struggling as he goes from a 3-4 alignment at Virginia to a 4-3 scheme. He had just one tackle while playing the entire first half in the Rams' preseason opener at Tennessee.

"I'm still learning. It's getting better," Gholston said. "Everybody tells you just to go but it's kind of hard when you don't know where to go. But that's one of the things I dealt with in college early. Once I learn what to do and where I need to be, I'll be okay.

"Going back to the (Browns) game, it was kind of rough. This week, I've really picked up on it. I'm a little more comfortable out there. Some things I'm actually (picking up) off the pre-snap read and jumping on it.

"It's coming. It's just one of those things where you'll be out there and sooner or later you'll realize you're making plays and you're not thinking at all."

The Jets hope that's sooner rather than later.

"It's a little frustrating but that's what you go through when you first start out," he said. "Everybody can relate to that."

Is he basing this on his lack of awareness? Or just the fact that he is a few seconds late to the ball each play?

Either way it is early yet. they are going to use him on pass rushing downs initially so he isn't on the clock yet.

true, but ask anyone. I was down on selecting him in February.

Cookie-You_want.jpg

The kids a few weeks into his NFL career. He hasn't played in a real game yet. He didn't get to practice at all before training camp, and he's playing a different position. If you're expecting him to be a pro bowler in Week 1 you're just being an idiot.

the nfl is a big adjustment for these college pass rushers. mario williams went from bust to pro bowl in his first 2 seasons. give gholston time - if he stinks after year 2 you can call him a bust.

Only stupid people thought Mario Williams was a bust. First of all the media was busy declaring the Texans and the GM as idiots for not taking Reggie Bush. So they were then going to spin Mario's first season as crap no matter what. He didn't do that bad, pretty much what I'd expect out of a rookie.

His second and third years are where he started being more consistent and doing more of why many of us were so high on the guy. I still think he's a great pick and definitely better than Reggie Bush, at a far more important position.

Vernon probably won't start right away. Expect him to maybe start playing more by mid-season or towards the end. Not worried right now in the least.

I just went and did a post search on me, and I've been talking up Mario since 2006. Even in 2007 I said he was still a better pick than Bush. I just don't see why anybody would ever say Mario Williams was a bust. Apparently TX liked him too. That guy was a sharp football mind :P No wonder I always liked him, haha!

I must admit, I'm not surprised. The most overrated week in football is the combine.

That he is coming along slowly should not be a surprise to anyone. That it is August 15 and you are already bragging about him being a bust should be a surprise. But ... we know you.

Be prepared to be disappointed when he gets it together.

The guy doesn't know where he is supposed to be on the plays. Not only is it only Aug 15, but the kid got cheated out of a month of camp. He looks slow, because he is thinking

Probably won't see him as an actual LB'er till next season, but from what I am reading the only one that can block him in the pass rush is D-Brick,

I won't be surprised if he has 10+ sacks as a situational pass rusher.

Cookie-You_want.jpg

The kids a few weeks into his NFL career. He hasn't played in a real game yet. He didn't get to practice at all before training camp, and he's playing a different position. If you're expecting him to be a pro bowler in Week 1 you're just being an idiot.

:rl::rl::rl:

If someone thinks Gholston is a bust already, your outta your F'ing mind.

Gholston will adjust, it will take time.

Gholston will win DROY..you'll see!

That he is coming along slowly should not be a surprise to anyone. That it is August 15 and you are already bragging about him being a bust should be a surprise. But ... we know you.

Be prepared to be disappointed when he gets it together.

It's nuts. He isn't just a rookie coming in. He is a rookie coming in late. For crying out loud.

Archived