Jets to bring back Mike Westhoff as special teams coordinator

TaborJet

Jets to bring back Mike Westhoff as special teams coordinator

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 6:22 PM

With only 13 days remaining before the regular-season opener in Miami, Jets coach Eric Mangini is poised to make a significant change on his coaching staff.

Former special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff, who retired after last season because of a health issue, is expected to return before the opener, the Daily News confirmed Saturday.

A Jets spokesman declined to comment.

The popular Westhoff, 60, one of the most respected coaches in his field, underwent major surgery in February. A cancer survivor, he received a titanium femur during a seven-hour operation in New York. Westhoff has undergone an intensive rehab program and is said to be healthy enough to coach.

The story was first reported by Nationalfootballpost.com.

Westhoff coached last season in considerable pain after re-cracking a bone graft in his leg. When he announced his retirement on the final day of the 2007 season, he said he had no choice but to have the surgery and step away from football.

After a long search, the Jets hired Kevin O'Dea, most recently an assistant special teams coach for the Bears. Mangini isn't planning to fire O'Dea, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. O'Dea's new role is unclear; he will re-assigned and probably will work under Westhoff.

Reached today, Westhoff declined to comment on a possible return to the Jets. But he did say he wants to coach again.

"I'm very appreciative of the situation that I worked out with the New York Jets, which enabled me to put my career on hold and do something I had to do," he told the Daily News. "I had no choice. I would've been in big trouble" if he didn't have the surgery.

"When I started this adventure in January, I was prepared to retire and never coach again," Westhoff added.

What are the chances we see another surprise Nuge onside kick this season? He's good at them and it worked last time. Hopefully Westhoff will still pull stuff like that out of his sleeves once or twice during the season.

But hopefully not after half-time in 0-0 game.](*,)

If we didn't add Farve and Faneca...it damn well might be.

Great to have Westy back! Leon & Justin Miller playing together on a Westoff ran special teams unit?

DROOL!

Hopefully they are both together. Miller didn't look good leaving the field. Mangini wouldn't say anything about the xray in the post game press conference.

Fingers crossed for good news.

Hopefully they are both together. Miller didn't look good leaving the field. Mangini wouldn't say anything about the xray in the post game press conference.

Fingers crossed for good news.

Ehhh....Miller got hurt? I missed that.

Ehhh....Miller got hurt? I missed that.

Damnit, I missed that! I saw some CB getting taken off the field but I couldn't tell what number he had up in 327 so I didn't know who it was. He was taken off on a stretcher too. What body part did he injure, any vids out there? We need him for special teams. Fingers crossed here.

I just heard! Getting paid to cane people, what a country! I bet Mike Westhoff eats crushed glass for an appetizer and chases it with Draino. He kicks ass. Welcome back to one tough b*stard. Woo-hoo, beware 'The Cane'! :cheers:

Citizen Cane.

This just might ice the cake. If Mangini didn't let him have as much overall input on team penalties as Herm did before him - now would be a great time to look into that after last nights flag insanity.

I really hope this is true - Westhoff's the best.

This just might ice the cake. If Mangini didn't let him have as much overall input on team penalties as Herm did before him - now would be a great time to look into that after last nights flag insanity.

I really hope this is true - Westhoff's the best.

The PSL Brochure is now complete. The mailing can go out now.

Seriously though -- what a CRAZY offseason. The free agents, Favre, now Westhoff is back. I feel like I am living in Bizarro world.

The PSL Brochure is now complete. The mailing can go out now.

Seriously though -- what a CRAZY offseason. The free agents, Favre, now Westhoff is back. I feel like I am living in Bizarro world.

How bout it man? But it's very nice to have all of the changes/additions carry high probability of being good ones. Not a bunch of bandaides.

Awesome, awesome news that he is getting healthier and great news that he's coming back to coach the STeams again. They said he could return in 2009 but I never expected this. Great news. The best STeams coach in the league returns!

This is great news--Westhoff was one of the best ST Coordinators out there. I wasn't sure how O'Dea would do replacing him.

That's the question I think we ALL had. Westhoffs return is TERRIFIC news. He's one of the best in the business.

Hey A$$ Hole, I never said one thing about Penny being a franchise QB, I was commenting on a post about Favre. Go beat up a cat or something, maybe that'll release some of your tension.

Maybe i'll go troll a dolphag website but i doubt their fans would even care...

Not to be a dick, but, a 39 year old QB is, without a doubt a bandaid fix.

If that was all the Jets did in the last drafts and this offseason - that could be a valid argument CJ. Bringing in a guy who was 2nd in league MVP balloting last season and classifying him differently by virtue of his demonstrated and unprecedented ability to start and finish football games regardless of his age. Signing him to help the Jets play hi-quality football for a couple 3 years while we get our QB situation squared away isnt a bandaid fix in my book. Especially when you get a first ballot HOF QB to help you out with the QB situation.

We just took off a bandaid from a big boo boo we've had for quite awhile and you guys sucked him up like a hoover.

Archived