Jim Fassell wants to coach the Raiders

BP

nfl_g_jfassel_65.jpg

G467~Poker-Chips-Big-Slick-Posters.jpg

Updated: November 16, 2008, 6:38 PM ET

Jim Fassel has stepped up his campaign to become an NFL head coach again in the most interesting of ways.

A team source tells ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Fassel recently sent a handwritten letter to Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, expressing his respect and admiration for Davis and his desire to coach the embattled franchise.

Fassel last worked in the league as offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens from 2003 until his dismissal midway through the 2006 season. He was head coach of the New York Giants from 1997 until the team fired him after the 2003 season.

Fassel was 60-56-1 in seven seasons with the Giants and led the club to a Super Bowl XXXV appearance against Baltimore. He had two interviews with the Washington Redskins last offseason before owner Daniel Snyder ultimately decided to hire Jim Zorn as his coach

Lane Kiffin was fired by Davis on Sept. 30 after Oakland started 1-3, with the job going to offensive line coach Tom Cable on an interim basis. The Raiders are 1-4 under Cable. Kiffin, meanwhile, has filed a grievance against Davis in an attempt to collect the remaining money on his contract.

The upheaval within the coaching staff has yet to abate. Davis, it turns out, stripped offensive coordinator Greg Knapp of play-calling duties, a source told Mortensen. Cable said last week that he relieved Knapp of his duties before a Week 10 loss to the Carolina Panthers and would remain in that role for the rest of the season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Link

You want in? get in. you want out? get out. I'm putting all my chips in the middle of the table.

Watching him almost have a nervous breakdown in 2000 was awesome!

:rl:

I wanted Fassel to be the Jets coach after the 2005 season and if Mangini screws this up in the final 6 games I'll be calling for Fassel to return to the New York sidelines again. Always have liked Jim. I think he'd do a good job almost anywhere, except Oakland, where until Al Davis dies nobody is going to do any better than 4-12 there.

If Fassell stays out of the league much longer, he will fall off the radar for any coaching hire.

He was known as a QB mentor. If he can hekp Jamarcus Russell come around as an NFL quarterback he ought to be able to get hired by some other team when Davis is done with him.

The guy is desperate to coach again. For whatever reason he has never gotten another shot. Hes been rumored a few times to get one, including the Oakland one, and nobody pulls the trigger. Hes getting to the point where this will be his only chance to get back into coaching. I think he must be very bitter at the NY media because they are the ones that probably cost him another chance. The players coach stories, the SB preparation stories, and on and on. That perception has really hurt him.

I wanted Fassel to be the Jets coach after the 2005 season and if Mangini screws this up in the final 6 games I'll be calling for Fassel to return to the New York sidelines again. Always have liked Jim. I think he'd do a good job almost anywhere, except Oakland, where until Al Davis dies nobody is going to do any better than 4-12 there.

:spock:

He's awful, he let his players act like complete tools during his tenure (Armstead, Strahan, big fight on sidelines during Vikings playoff loss). and he was ultra conservative. he used to cover his mouth with the play sheet and continue to call running plays.

I would never want to see him with the Jets.

I think Fassell was smart to do what he did. There are a limited number of head coaching jobs in the league and he just got his name back out there on the market with what he did. How do you think the press found out about the letter? Davis didn't leak it....this was a PR move to maybe get him a job, but also to get his name back in the mix. Whoever is the next Raiders head coach will have a tough time coaching the team, but will get paid good money to do so.

Archived