Patriots closing in on record for fewest penalties

PFT.com

PATRIOTS CLOSING IN ON RECORD FOR FEWEST PENALTIES

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 10, 2008, 12:02 p.m.

When the Rams played the Patriots in October, Rams coach Jim Haslett complained after the game about how his team was flagged for nine penalties for 63 yards, while the Patriots ended up with zero penalties for zero yards.

But that game wasn

We're discussing this at thephins and I'll say here what I said there.

It's getting ridiculous. To me, it's painfully obvious that there is a clear cut bias that exists and it's bad for the league. I was in Miami for the Dolphins - Patriots game and Matt Light held Joey Porter at least 5 times that weren't called, AT LEAST.

It's just like when you have a great pitcher that gets more strike calls or a guy like Barry Bonds that has a smaller strike zone.

The Patriots recent success has given them more leniency with officiating. This doesn't even take into account the generous calls that are given to them by throwing the flag on the opposition.

In that same Miami - New England game that I referenced, Randy Moss was all over our guy and ended up catching the touchdown. A flag was thrown, but it was on the Dolphin. That play was downright comical.

I don't know about the Matt Light / Joey Porter incidents, Aqua, but I saw that Randy Moss TD replay plenty of times and each time I failed to see Pass Interference on anyone but Randy Moss. Then again, no WR is given more push off than Mr.Moss and that has been true since his days in Minnesota. For some reason, officials ignore it. Maybe they're scared that he'll eat them. I don't know.

In that same Miami - New England game that I referenced, Randy Moss was all over our guy and ended up catching the touchdown. A flag was thrown, but it was on the Dolphin. That play was downright comical.

I guess you had to see the play to comment. Lots of us here did not see it.

Here ya' go. Go to 1:40 in this video. You've got to be kidding me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5vArVxwvs&feature=related

When they showed this on the jumbotron in super slow mo about 5 times, the refs had to just feel silly. It kept replaying just showing how terrible these refs messed up.

What's even better is listening to Dierdorf trying to justify the call. That play swung that game too. Ugh, I'm getting pissed off just talking about it.

I don't know about the Matt Light / Joey Porter incidents, Aqua, but I saw that Randy Moss TD replay plenty of times and each time I failed to see Pass Interference on anyone but Randy Moss. Then again, no WR is given more push off than Mr.Moss and that has been true since his days in Minnesota. For some reason, officials ignore it. Maybe they're scared that he'll eat them. I don't know.

I can't even imagine how bad it would be this year if Brady was still healthy; he generates even more favorable calls.

When we kicked the crap out of them in week 3, we had an interception when the game was already well in hand. Of course the league had to give the Pats hope and threw a roughing the passer flag.

I find it very funny that we have a dolphin fan complaining about the officiating of the Patriots...guess you're not old enough are you Aqua to remember or even know that your fins got the benefit of officiating when Shula was on the rules committee...lasted for years.

Well I'm 21 years old, so no, I really don't.

Besides, what does that have to do with the 2008 Patriots?

Here ya' go. Go to 1:40 in this video. You've got to be kidding me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN5vArVxwvs&feature=related

When they showed this on the jumbotron in super slow mo about 5 times, the refs had to just feel silly. It kept replaying just showing how terrible these refs messed up.

What's even better is listening to Dierdorf trying to justify the call. That play swung that game too. Ugh, I'm getting pissed off just talking about it.

My God, that's absurd.

Like, even more absurd than the calls they usually get.

Agree with your earlier post--it does the league no good to play favorites like this.

I can't even imagine how bad it would be this year if Brady was still healthy; he generates even more favorable calls.

When we kicked the crap out of them in week 3, we had an interception when the game was already well in hand. Of course the league had to give the Pats hope and threw a roughing the passer flag.

lol oh boy do us Jets fans know about that stupid roughing the passer call. Personally I think they wait to see if the pass is picked off before calling it, just to further crush the spirit of the opposing team.

I had thought maybe that was just the way it was called, but then I noticed how it is pretty much never thrown for any other team no matter how blatant the situation is. The same exact roughing the passer call that wipes out a Brady INT is never called to wipe out a Favre one, and Favre throws so many more too!

Well I'm 21 years old, so no, I really don't.

Besides, what does that have to do with the 2008 Patriots?

Being 21 years old like yourself, you wouldn't get it. I remember like it was yesterday and I just find it comical that a dolphin fan would even have the balls to complain...Shula was a schmuck. From getting the refs in his back pocket to watering down the field in the AFC Championship game against the Jets...

What a bunch of whiney babies - my God, the Phins or Jets will win the division, and still their fans feel like they root for a second class football team.

I was at the home opener at the Meadowlands - if the Pats d-lineman were being held any more, there would have been rape charges filed.

God bless the Pats, and no one else

Pfffffffft

No, it is God Bless the Colts. Or Bill Polian and his NFL Rules COmmittee will come up with a 'new' rule that plays to his team's strengths and directly against yours.

I will say it again..... "God bless the Partriots and no one else" - Roger Goodell

(It sure does pay to be good friends with the Commisioner, right Kraft-hole?)

Hey, do not hate the team hate the system. We can not spend the extra money Kraft earns in Kraftboro every week on players. We have to spend it on refs and camera equipment.

Do away with the cap and we will stop buying refs and being Best Buys best customer.

Hey, do not hate the team hate the system. We can not spend the extra money Kraft earns in Kraftboro every week on players. We have to spend it on refs and camera equipment.

Do away with the cap and we will stop buying refs and being Best Buys best customer.

The REALLY funny thing that no one talks about is that Roger Godell is a former Jets employee.

Seriously, people - :sign0090:

One reason is the Patriots scout the refs.

I forgot which player, but I recall reading an interview with a player that had played for several team on how the Pats were different.

At all rest of the teams the coaches would tell you roughly what you could get away with without a penalty it was based on a the refs as a whole.

The Patriots on the other hand had figured out that while each officiating crew was pretty consistent from week to week and team to team, the different crews varied wildly in how much you could get away with and how quick they would throw the flag. Also they varied in what types of fouls they like to call.

So the Patriots would actually study each crew individually and then advise the players week to week what they could get away with and what would likely draw a penalty. Also how to get the other team a penalty (e.g. what a WR could do to increase the odds of a PI call on the defender.)

This gives the Patriots players the edge of being able to go just far enough to have an adv, but not so far as to get the flag.

Of course this pisses off the players and fans of other teams when the Pats don't get a flag that with a different crew caused a flag the week before on their own team.

You can if you wish consider this dirty or somehow cheating, I call it being smart about knowing how to play within the rules of that day.

One reason is the Patriots scout the refs.

I forgot which player, but I recall reading an interview with a player that had played for several team on how the Pats were different.

At all rest of the teams the coaches would tell you roughly what you could get away with without a penalty it was based on a the refs as a whole.

The Patriots on the other hand had figured out that while each officiating crew was pretty consistent from week to week and team to team, the different crews varied wildly in how much you could get away with and how quick they would throw the flag. Also they varied in what types of fouls they like to call.

So the Patriots would actually study each crew individually and then advise the players week to week what they could get away with and what would likely draw a penalty. Also how to get the other team a penalty (e.g. what a WR could do to increase the odds of a PI call on the defender.)

This gives the Patriots players the edge of being able to go just far enough to have an adv, but not so far as to get the flag.

Of course this pisses off the players and fans of other teams when the Pats don't get a flag that with a different crew caused a flag the week before on their own team.

You can if you wish consider this dirty or somehow cheating, I call it being smart about knowing how to play within the rules of that day.

Wow, I never knew that. Very interesting, and a smart move on Belichick's part...I wonder if other teams have picked up on it and started to do it as well.

Regarding that specific Moss play: Touching another player on the back is completely legal, as long as you aren't holding them or impeding them. Moss did neither. When the ball came in, his arm went UP, he didn't push.

The CB got flagged I imagine because he is just slower than moss and it looked like he was preventing Moss from running past him just by getting in the way. Personally I don't think you should penalize a DB just because he is slower than the guy trying to run through him, but that is a pretty common call league wide, especially on teams that try to play a lot of man coverage.

You can't deny it... the pats are favored by the refs...

Inexperienced secondary... old LB's... new QB... and yet fewest penalties?

Give me a break...

You're making my point. They are too slow and inexperienced to get anywhere near a receiver. Have you SEEN the Pats defense this year?

You're making my point. They are too slow and inexperienced to get anywhere near a receiver. Have you SEEN the Pats defense this year?

Exactly why they would commit more penalties... when your outmatched you hold grab... whatever it takes to stop the TD...

I can't recall seeing a thread like this last year when the Seahawks set the record? Did I miss that one :P

BTW: The Pats have been flagged 55 times this season.

Accounting for offsetting and declined penalties, the Patriots have been flagged a total of 55 times.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/12/on_pace_for_pen.html

Archived