MOCK DRAFT - 1st Round -1/16/09

Aqua4ever04

The first of what is going to be a plethora of mock drafts from here until late April, I just finished drafting the original one (like that pun?)

Comments and criticism welcome, the point of this is generate a discussion.

Here we go.

1/16/09 All Underclassmen Declared/Undeclared

1. Detroit

I've read a lot of mock drafts this year and by far this is the worst I've seen!

#3 Knowshon Moreno - Do you really think the Chiefs are going to draft another RB this year after just drafting Jamaal Charles last year? Especially with Pioli as the GM now and we all know how NE cycles through RBs Denver style. Also, the Chiefs had ZERO pass rush (sound familiar) so wouldn't a pass rushing DE like Brian Orakpo make more sense here?

#5 Michael Johnson - This guy has all the potential in the world I'll give you that (6'7 250) but he's hasn't been able to put it together yet (i.e. Vernon Gholston). Why not go with the best DE in the country Brian Orakpo or even Aaron Maybin here?

#10 Matt Stafford - While he may have more experience than Sanchez, etc. etc. You have to remember that this is a california team picking here. What better than to have the USC QB as the next face of your franchise? He's a hero in the Latin American community and you can't be naive enough to think that teams don't factor in marketing dollars (i.e. jersey sales, ticket sales, etc). Lets face it, the difference between Stafford and Sanchez skill wise is not pronounced by any means.

Other notes:

- Are you really trying to tell me James Laurinaitis is the 29th best player on the board???

- Clint Sintim OLB - UVA at #23 is better than Brian Cushing or even Clay Matthews?

- I have not seen Max Unger go earlier than 2nd round in any other draft i've seen

- Alex Mack out of Cal will DEFINITELY go higher than 32 barring a broken leg at the combine

- 3WRs in the 1st round??? Did you watch the draft last year? Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Desean Jackson, all projected high and where did they wind up...

come on man

I've read a lot of mock drafts this year and by far this is the worst I've seen!

#3 Knowshon Moreno - Do you really think the Chiefs are going to draft another RB this year after just drafting Jamaal Charles last year? Especially with Pioli as the GM now and we all know how NE cycles through RBs Denver style. Also, the Chiefs had ZERO pass rush (sound familiar) so wouldn't a pass rushing DE like Brian Orakpo make more sense here?

#5 Michael Johnson - This guy has all the potential in the world I'll give you that (6'7 250) but he's hasn't been able to put it together yet (i.e. Vernon Gholston). Why not go with the best DE in the country Brian Orakpo or even Aaron Maybin here?

#10 Matt Stafford - While he may have more experience than Sanchez, etc. etc. You have to remember that this is a california team picking here. What better than to have the USC QB as the next face of your franchise? He's a hero in the Latin American community and you can't be naive enough to think that teams don't factor in marketing dollars (i.e. jersey sales, ticket sales, etc). Lets face it, the difference between Stafford and Sanchez skill wise is not pronounced by any means.

Other notes:

- Are you really trying to tell me James Laurinaitis is the 29th best player on the board???

- Clint Sintim OLB - UVA at #23 is better than Brian Cushing or even Clay Matthews?

- I have not seen Max Unger go earlier than 2nd round in any other draft i've seen

- Alex Mack out of Cal will DEFINITELY go higher than 32 barring a broken leg at the combine

- 3WRs in the 1st round??? Did you watch the draft last year? Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Desean Jackson, all projected high and where did they wind up...

come on man

they did draft ted ginn jr after all. they must know something we dont

Interesting mock. I think you overrate the RBs status in that I can't see either going in the top 5 but definitely not both of them. Also, I highly doubt Stafford drops to 10 and I think the Jets would be hard pressed to pass on Sanchez if he fell to them. I don't love Maclin but its not a bad pick. I also can't see Andre Smith falling like that.

What would we do with him? We already have alot invested in the offensive line.

yeah but winning starts with a good o-line, what would happen if one of them were to get hurt.

now i know he won't be there, and the Jets need help at the skill positions so i advocate Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin or some defensive help, ie Bj Raji, Ray Maualuga, etc

yeah but winning starts with a good o-line, what would happen if one of them were to get hurt.

now i know he won't be there, and the Jets need help at the skill positions so i advocate Hakeem Nicks, Jeremy Maclin or some defensive help, ie Bj Raji, Ray Maualuga, etc

You don't draft depth in round 1. You draft starters in round 1.

Depth comes from later rounds and free agency, unless the pick is a bust and the player is relegated to backup.

When you draft someone in round 1, you plan on starting him as a rookie. The only exception would be at QB as some guys need a year holding a clipboard & some don't. Promoting one who isn't ready, at that position, is something many never recover from.

Depth comes from later rounds and free agency, unless the pick is a bust and the player is relegated to backup.

When you draft someone in round 1, you plan on starting him as a rookie. The only exception would be at QB as some guys need a year holding a clipboard & some don't. Promoting one who isn't ready, at that position, is something many never recover from.

Andre smith would be a huge upgrade over Woody

moot point as andre is going in top 5

why would he be a backup? you know that guys get rotated in all the time, woody is still good, but he's getting older, wear and tear plays a factor, why not spare him the same you would a running back

Andre smith would be a huge upgrade over Woody

moot point as andre is going in top 5

reason why this argument is dumb

We just signed Woody to a 5-year contract. AND he had a kick-ass season for the most part. And you guys want to dump him already?

He doesn't play a speed position where he'll be too old to be very effective at 33-34 years old. Draft an OL in round 1 when you've got 5 starters - all of them good ones - and they're all locked up for years to come?

The only justification would be to move Woody to RG in Moore's place. I have no issues whatsoever with Moore's play. He was actually quite good this year.

Regardless, it's not a matter of how much better he is or could be than Woody. Ask yourself where the team is best-served. Having a potential for upgrade over Damien Woody, who's already good, or drafting an upgrade where we need a starter to replace garbage right now?

That would be like the Cardinals locking up Boldin (to keep along with Fitzgerald & Breaston) and then drafting a WR in round 1 because he represented the best value and was the BPA.

Doesn't matter because he won't be there at 17 anyway unless he tanks the combine &/or interviews.

hold on sperm, i am in no way saying get rid of Damien woody, i am advocating a quality back up, why is getting another good football player on your team a bad thing?

It isn't.

But using 1st round draft picks for the purpose of using him as "a quality backup" is not prudent. You get depth in later rounds or free agency, not the middle of round 1.

Damien Woody was one of the best RT's in the league last season if not the best. What the Hell makes you think a rookie would step in and be an upgrade?

Not only that... It's very rare that teams even use 1st rounders on right tackles. They usually either take RTs in FA or in 2nd round or later. Even the former 1st rounders at Right tackle in this league were drafted to be left tackles but were moved over to right tackle. Levi Brown being a notable exception, but keep in mind the Cardinals drafted him with Leinart (a left handed QB with his blind side tackle being RT) in mind as their franchise QB.

It's simply not a position teams value highly enough to use a 1st rounder on. Not to mention that Woody was good for us last season.

WHy the fukk would Detroit take an OLB with their first pick when they desperatly need a franchise QB?

This mock is stupid.

LOL. Ah yes, you MUST take a quarterback with the first overall pick; regardless. If Bradford had come out, yes, go ahead. But when there isn't a QB in the top 10 overall, you don't reach. The Lions can wait until the 2010 draft in a rich quarteback class.

Think before you type.

Archived