Rhodes claims he can make plays just like Reed....

Steveg

I had a dream last night that I played football like Ed Reed too.

Don't make me laugh Kerry.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. he should just shut up and do it. he talks way too much for somebody that sucked last year.

Interesting.....Jets had 41 sacks compared with 34 by the Ravens. However, the Ravens finished the season with a plus-13 turnover ratio compared to a minus-1 by the Jets.

Jets had 29 through 8 games and only 12 in the second half, three-quarters of which Mangini decided to play scared.

Besides, sacks aren't everything. Consistently pressuring the opposing QB is vital.

...the Ravens finished the season with a plus-13 turnover ratio compared to a minus-1 by the Jets.

Hmmm...

I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that their rookie starting QB threw 12 int's while our $13M legend of a QB threw 22.

I think of it this way. he wouldnt have said this if such a great defensive mind wasnt here. it just shows you how confident he is in a great coach compared to sutton and mangini. its not arrogance, its an early sign of confidence in your coach.

Not like he said he will be better than reed, he simply said he has the potential to be like reed.

in the newspaper it said Ryan wanted the ravens to draft rhodes and also draft harris. thats 2 players ryan has seen talent in before they came to the NFL.

Ed Reed is a great player..but lets not go crazy. If someone with his speed is put in the same position they can make almost all the plays Reed does.

Not really. Ed reed doesn't make plays just because he's put into position and has speed. It is his pre-snap and quick-post snap play recognition that allows him to make the plays. A lot of the big plays he makes, he is completely out of position and if he doesn't make the play the cornerback or other safety will be screwed and left out on an island. This type of play diagnosis comes directly from watching film and instincts from in-game action.

I don't doubt kerry has all the ability in the world and can perform at a pro-bowl level, but it will hinge solely on his dedication to watching film. I know he used to have film-studying parties with the other DBs, but let's see if he takes it up a notch this year.

Not really. Ed reed doesn't make plays just because he's put into position and has speed. It is his pre-snap and quick-post snap play recognition that allows him to make the plays. A lot of the big plays he makes, he is completely out of position and if he doesn't make the play the cornerback or other safety will be screwed and left out on an island. This type of play diagnosis comes directly from watching film and instincts from in-game action.

I don't doubt kerry has all the ability in the world and can perform at a pro-bowl level, but it will hinge solely on his dedication to watching film. I know he used to have film-studying parties with the other DBs, but let's see if he takes it up a notch this year.

heh heh you said DB's

well, that sort of goes to my point as well...it is preparation not god given talent. Other players could do the same thing if they prepared and were put in the position to succeed like Reed does.

Reed is obviously given some freedom to make his own decisions during the game.

"If he holds to form and lets me do the things I can I'll be able to make just as many plays as (Reed) does," Rhodes said. "I'm a guy like (Reed) that likes to make plays. So if (Ryan) keeps that freedom, I'll do that what I do."

Full Story...

:rl::rl::rl:

..... deep breath.....

:rl::rl::rl:

Ed Reed is a great player..but lets not go crazy. If someone with his speed is put in the same position they can make almost all the plays Reed does.

Look no further then how each played Chad's baloon in weeks 17 and 18. Kerry ran by it like the coyote chasing the road runner leading to a 40+ yard completion and the first sign of offense out of Miami. Reed tracked the ball perfectly, picked it off and took it to the house..

Reed is an alltime ball hawk..

Reed isn't just a great player... He's a HOF player and is probably in the top 3-4 safeties ever.

Kerry Rhodes is a 4th rounder who had a couple good years and now is playing like a 4th rounder again. Makes me nervous that he is not working as hard as he used to. Vilma used to watch film with him all the time, and now that Vilma is gone, is he still putting in the work?

I think of it this way. he wouldnt have said this if such a great defensive mind wasnt here. it just shows you how confident he is in a great coach compared to sutton and mangini. its not arrogance, its an early sign of confidence in your coach.

Not like he said he will be better than reed, he simply said he has the potential to be like reed.

in the newspaper it said Ryan wanted the ravens to draft rhodes and also draft harris. thats 2 players ryan has seen talent in before they came to the NFL.

Not really, he's just saying that if the coach lets him do his thing he'll make as many plays as Reed because he knows he's as good as Reed. That's pure arrogance as he's not nearly close to being an Ed Reed. The same message would apply no matter the coach as it doesn't praise the coach at all.

Not really, he's just saying that if the coach lets him do his thing he'll make as many plays as Reed because he knows he's as good as Reed. That's pure arrogance as he's not nearly close to being an Ed Reed. The same message would apply no matter the coach as it doesn't praise the coach at all.

I dont agree. I think he is complementing Ryan and is excited. Notice Rhodes was always quiet with mangini and sutton.

I think that any player should feel like if given the proper chance they can be great... why fault him for that....

Rhodes is prob just pumped about having Rex instead of ManIdiotutton

I dont agree. I think he is complementing Ryan and is excited. Notice Rhodes was always quiet with mangini and sutton.

Everyone was significantly quieter with Mangini and Sutton (by association) because they run an extremely tight ship. They didn't leave room for it, so Rhodes only had the chance to run his mouth during our head coaching vacancy. He's saying if used right, he'll be great. It would be a compliment for Ryan if he implied that Ryan would use him right, which he did not do. It's just Rhodes using Mangini as a scapegoat to explain the past two seasons, and to show how good he truly is.

As to Ecurb, they should feel confident in their ability, but at times they should know their role and do just what their assignment says...this quote could imply that he wants more freedoms to do his own thing mid-play. I'd let the coach solve that, not go public with it.

You know, there are many worse things that you can hear coming from a players mouth.

If Kerry Rhodes has the confidence that he can go out there and perform next year and shows this level of enthusiasm for the task at hand, I have no problem with it whatsoever.

If he had started ranting that he should have been in the Pro Bowl this year or any thing resembling that, then yeah, I'd tell him to shut up, but that's not what he was saying. I think he recognizes that this year was a "down" year for him and is looking forward to atoning for it next year. Was he using Mangini as a scapegoat? Perhaps, but isn't that what we've all been doing? Who's to say he's wrong or we are? Isn't that why Mangini isn't still here in the first place? He didn't do a good enough job to remain HC of the NYJ?

Until I strap on a helmet and play in the NFL, it's very hard for me to judge what players that are actually doing that say when it comes to on-field discussions.

I think Rex puts him in position to make more plays next year and obviously Kerry feels the same.

When a guy goes out and says something like this, he leaves himself no excuses, which is just the way I want it as a fan.

Archived