Sources: Pettine Jets new DC

RaoulDuke

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/119/2009/january/21/pettine-joins-ryan-sources-say-the-central-bucks-west-grad-will-receive-a-three-year-deal-to-serve-a.html

Pettine joins Ryan Sources say the Central Bucks West grad will receive a three-year deal to serve as defensive coordinator of the New York Jets.

By: DREW MARKOL

Bucks County Courier Times

Michael Pettine will have a new job title this morning when he's officially named defensive coordinator of the New York Jets.

According to sources close to the situation, the Central Bucks West graduate will receive a three-year contract to become new head coach Rex Ryan's top soldier on defense.

Pettine, a 1984 West grad and former William Tennent and North Penn head coach, had spent the last seven seasons with Ryan as part of the Baltimore Ravens organization. Ryan, who became defensive coordinator in Baltimore in 2005, promoted Pettine to outside linebackers coach that same season. Pettine reportedly will be the only coach on Baltimore's staff that Ryan takes with him to the Jets.

"If it happens, it will just be a huge thrill for the whole family," said his father, Mike Pettine, the legendary former CB West coach who won 326 games, second best in state history.

"It wasn't that long ago that he was working at North Penn. He took a chance going down to Baltimore with the Ravens, and it paid off for him. And if this were to work out for him with the Jets, that would be a great thing for him in his coaching career."

Advertisement b?P=97d6040e-e79a-11dd-8dfd-67792f621199&T=199tnuhmd%2fX%3d1232528704%2fE%3d2022775850%2fR%3dncnws%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_US%2fF%3d3346319011%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMTUxIiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSI5N2Q2MDQwZS1lNzlhLTExZGQtOGRmZC02Nzc5MmY2MjExOTkiIHNpdGVJZD0iNzQxMDUxIiB0U3RtcD0iMTIzMjUyODcwNDkzNDExMyIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfdG9wIiA-%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dE38D0D4C&U=13uum1o9p%2fN%3dVR.UAEwNj6M-%2fC%3d600024700.600028471.400188320.400188320%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d1718795747041208980%2fV%3d2

Pettine took a job with the Ravens in 2002 as a quality control coach and video coordinator and worked his way up.

"When he started, there were no promises made to him about doing any kind of coaching," the elder Pettine said.

"It was a gamble for him to do it, and he took a pay cut, too. But he showed them what could be done with video and computers and also with his football knowledge.

"Eventually, he got the outside linebackers (coaching) job, and that put him one step away from being a coordinator. He had a dream that he could do something if he gave it a shot."

According to his father, Michael Pettine not having the typical NFL coaching background only spurred him on even more.

"He always felt he had something to prove," the elder Pettine said. "He didn't take the usual track that most coaches do. He wasn't an NFL player, and he didn't come right out of college and coach on that level."

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70476

Midget Love = 1/1 this season according to this

First blood being shed on the DC. I have a hunch of a feeling that Bryan Thomas will be released before next season and be replaced by Suggs, or will be released and Bart Scott will take Eric Barton's spot in the LB core. Book it!

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70476

Midget Love = 1/1 this season according to this

First blood being shed on the DC. I have a hunch of a feeling that Bryan Thomas will be released before next season and be replaced by Suggs, or will be released and Bart Scott will take Eric Barton's spot in the LB core. Book it!

Thank goodness. Whoever resigned B. Thomas should have been shot. Never resign a player to a huge contract who has done nothing except during a contract year.

Terrible news!

Sutton was the most stable part of our team. Our defense was feared by all. Our adversaries were petrified of our pass rush and constant blitzing style. He will be missed! I will miss years of sleep over this move!

Terrible news!

Sutton was the most stable part of our team. Our defense was feared by all. Our adversaries were petrified of our pass rush and constant blitzing style. He will be missed! I will miss years of sleep over this move!

I will always miss Krhodes blitzing from 20 yards away:ahhh:

Terrible news!

I will miss that blank, confused look on his face. It showed great character in the face of adversity.

What? It always surprised offenses. Made them laugh hysterically, but surprised them.

See you both get it.

Ryan feared for his job...That's why Sutton is out. Let's not forget the Denver game, when dropping 5 in coverage did not work because of no pass rush, Sutton dropped back 6 to completely eliminate any remote threat to the QB....How can you argue with Logic? Ryan deserves to be fired for letting go of the best defensive mind of our times!

Mrak it down CT Bryan Thomas will be a Cleveland Brown by the summer

Bryan Thomas and Ed Reed together in the same mention is a reminder how important the draft is- you must to build a quality team make good draft picks.

I agree that Sutton brought nothing positive to the defense but lets not kid ourselves. This was Mangini's defense, not Sutton's. The same problems that plagued him in New England his one year as DC followed him here to NY and will moooore than likely follow him to Cleveland. He has already proved stubborn enough not to change his ineffective ways from one team to another.

I agree that Sutton brought nothing positive to the defense but lets not kid ourselves. This was Mangini's defense, not Sutton's. The same problems that plagued him in New England his one year as DC followed him here to NY and will moooore than likely follow him to Cleveland. He has already proved stubborn enough not to change his ineffective ways from one team to another.

Remember when Mangini ran the 1-10 defense (for a few plays) vs the Eagles in the superbowl and it worked? He probably thought after that "So thats how you call a defense in the NFL, everyone drop in coverage!"

+1

Add that to Mangini now facing the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals 6 times a season and I wonder how anyone can predict Mangini will do well there.

Yeah, but Sutton has been here since 2000 and he brought nothing as a LB's coach either. The guy sucked...should never have been promoted to DC under Mangini.

Bryan Thomas and Ed Reed together in the same mention is a reminder how important the draft is- you must to build a quality team make good draft picks.

I can only pray. I know hind sight is 20/20 and all the other sayings that go with it, but I for one was screaming at the top of my lungs when we passed over ed reed. my wife thought I was going to bust a blood vessel. I was reading somewhere and I can't remember where. That you don't have to be an athlete or former coach to be able to evaluate talent. And conversely sometimes when you have played or coached you think you know too much.

Yeah, but Sutton has been here since 2000 and he brought nothing as a LB's coach either. The guy sucked...should never have been promoted to DC under Mangini.

He will be assistant HC now... lol... ****ing JETS... fire his ass already...

Great news. Let Ryan bring in his defensive guys and change the culture of our defense.

Ryan HC + Pettine DC = a great chance we land some Balt defensive players this offseason.

This is what I'm thinking also, we need some guys from the system to kick our guys in gear.

Archived