ravens close to signing Bart Scott

kukirojas

Ravens | Closing in on deal with Scott

Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:13:47 -0800

Mike Preston, of The Baltimore Sun, reports it appears the Baltimore Ravens are moving closer to a new contract with impending free-agent LB Bart Scott before the start of free agenc

What exactly does "moving closer" mean? Why would Scott's agent let him go this close to FA and not letting him hit it to drive up his price? And if it was for the home town discount, then why wasnt it done earlier?

What exactly does "moving closer" mean? Why would Scott's agent let him go this close to FA and not letting him hit it to drive up his price? And if it was for the home town discount, then why wasnt it done earlier?

They slid their chairs closer to each other in the negotiations. Scott's agent is a little hard of hearing.

This isn't really that big a deal.

He's a good player, but so was Ed Hartwell when he played in Baltimore next to Ray. Ed got a nice contract in FA and hasn't earned that money yet. I see the same thing in Mr. Scott's future if he leaves.

There is nothing special about him. If we sign him, cool. Filled a position of need with a player who has knowledge of the system. If not, I'm sure we won't regret it.

Scott and Leonhard are not the guys to deliver the Jets to the Super Bowl.

He's a good player, but so was Ed Hartwell when he played in Baltimore next to Ray. Ed got a nice contract in FA and hasn't earned that money yet. I see the same thing in Mr. Scott's future if he leaves.

There is nothing special about him. If we sign him, cool. Filled a position of need with a player who has knowledge of the system. If not, I'm sure we won't regret it.

But they'll be part of it.

I don't like copying and pasting, but the Hartwell excuse is extremely annoying.

Well it's impossible to predict whether or not a player will become injury plagued, except going by his history. Bart Scott has missed 3 games in his 7 years, which leads me to believe he'll see the field, however, Hartwell never missed a game in his 4 years with Baltimore than missed 17 games over the course of two years with ATL. Him staying healthy cannot be attributed to Ray Lewis playing next to him, but just bad luck. If he were healthy and didn't perform than I would say you're right, but it's just a silly comparison.

As for another linebacker usually used in this excuse, Jamie Sharper. Sharper saw his best years after he left lewis, which leads one to beleive that Lewis probably took the lions' share of the attention and tackles etc.

Year - Team - Games - Tot - Solo - Ast - PD - SACK - FF - REC - INT - YDS

1997 - Bal ------16----------65----51-----14 ---2------ 3 -----1----- 0------ 1-----4

1998 - Bal ------16----------54----45-----9 -----3------ 1 -----0----- 0------ 0-----0

1999 - Bal-------16----------87----70-----17----2------ 4 -----1----- 0------ 0-----0

2000 - Bal-------16---------67----54-----13----4------0-----1---- 0------ 1-----45

2001 - Bal-------16-------108---77-----31---10------6 -----1----- 0------ 0-----0

2002 -Hou----16-----135--95----40---9-----5.5 --1-----0-----0-----0

2003 - Hou---16-----164--105---59---3---- 4 ----1---- 0------ 0-----0

2004 - Hou---16-----137---96---41---6----- 2 ----1----0------ 0-----0

2005 - Sea------8---------37----28-----9----0-------0 -----1----- 0------ 0-----0

That having been said, there is no insurance that he'll be a stud, but he's played at a high level for a long time and i see no reason why he'd stop. Jamie sharper didn't stop and I don't anticipate Bart Scott stopping.

Also, it should be noted that the first year Scott got significant playing time was the 2005, the year Ray missed 10 games. In Scott's first year starting he recorded 92 total tackles, 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. The next year, with Ray playing the full season, he registered 103 tackles to go with 9.5 sacks.

I don't like copying and pasting, but the Hartwell excuse is extremely annoying.

Well it's impossible to predict whether or not a player will become injury plagued, except going by his history. Bart Scott has missed 3 games in his 7 years, which leads me to believe he'll see the field, however, Hartwell never missed a game in his 4 years with Baltimore than missed 17 games over the course of two years with ATL. Him staying healthy cannot be attributed to Ray Lewis playing next to him, but just bad luck. If he were healthy and didn't perform than I would say you're right, but it's just a silly comparison.

As for another linebacker usually used in this excuse, Jamie Sharper. Sharper saw his best years after he left lewis, which leads one to beleive that Lewis probably took the lions' share of the attention and tackles etc.

Year - Team - Games - Tot - Solo - Ast - PD - SACK - FF - REC - INT - YDS

1997 - Bal ------16----------65----51-----14 ---2------ 3 -----1----- 0------ 1-----4

1998 - Bal ------16----------54----45-----9 -----3------ 1 -----0----- 0------ 0-----0

1999 - Bal-------16----------87----70-----17----2------ 4 -----1----- 0------ 0-----0

2000 - Bal-------16---------67----54-----13----4------0-----1---- 0------ 1-----45

2001 - Bal-------16-------108---77-----31---10------6 -----1----- 0------ 0-----0

2002 -Hou----16-----135--95----40---9-----5.5 --1-----0-----0-----0

2003 - Hou---16-----164--105---59---3---- 4 ----1---- 0------ 0-----0

2004 - Hou---16-----137---96---41---6----- 2 ----1----0------ 0-----0

2005 - Sea------8---------37----28-----9----0-------0 -----1----- 0------ 0-----0

ok so maybe Jaime sharper isn't an ideal name to throw out how about Adalius Thomas, he hasn't done much since leaving. his numbers have started to tail off

LOL at the comparison to Ed Hartwell.

Watch some ****ing games!

LOL at your ignorance.

How many B'More games have YOU actually watched? Bart Scott is a nice player, but he's obviously the second class citizen on that defense. Ray, Suggs, Reed, Nagta, and Pryce allow Bart to make plays...not the other way around. Scott and Leonhard are the result of being surrounded by exceptional players.

If either one of them come to the Jets, we'll have overpaid for somebody else's role players. NFL teams who achieve success draft those players, not sign them for big bucks in free agency.

Championship teams are built through consistent, solid drafts with the occasional stud signing. When you start signing average players for stud money, you're going to be an average team.

Archived