Dont think Leonard and Ivy

TNJet

are significant upgrades over Lowery and Eric Smith. Look at the vitals and game stats,the same could be equaled or even eclipsed with Lowery/E.Smith duo. If they sign its cool,but lets be realistic these are just Ryan's favorites that arent really a bit better than Lowery or Smith. Leonard is a ss at 5-8? No thanks. Lito/Revis/Lowery/Poteat just fine with me.

Lito is our second best option at this point,unless Lowery turns into a probowler this offseason.

Lito landed on the bench himself last year... and Lowery looked damn good for a rookie... it will be closer than most think... and that is not a bad thing...

ECURB good point. he was benched at one point. at 1st i was really happy about this trade. and i still am although 1 pick would of been better imo, but don't think he's a shut down corner

We did give up 1 pick... Our 5th this year. The conditional pick we give up next year will return their 5th.

If they sign its cool,but lets be realistic these are just Ryan's favorites that arent really a bit better than Lowery or Smith. Leonard is a ss at 5-8?

Leonhard is a nice upgrade IMO.

You are forgetting one thing though... Ryan is bringing in people that know his system. All things being equal I would rather have Leonhard back their than Smith just because of this fact (and personally I do not think they are equal as I think Leonhard is a better player).

If Ryan has 3 people out there that know his system it will make any transition that much smoother.

Leonhard is a nice upgrade IMO.

You are forgetting one thing though... Ryan is bringing in people that know his system. All things being equal I would rather have Leonhard back their than Smith just because of this fact (and personally I do not think they are equal as I think Leonhard is a better player).

If Ryan has 3 people out there that know his system it will make any transition that much smoother.

good point. Leonard equals Eric Smith with knowledge of Ryans system :P

NFL network was saying Sheppard would be used as a nickel back. as if they didn't see him as the jets starting corner

Now, all of a sudden, the national media knows the fine details about the Jets?

Sheppard will start.

He is also a lot faster. And can make tackles. Still, I would not get into a bidding war over him. His height (5'8") concerns me.

True.

Plus, Eric Smith sucks. He was drafted when Tangini believed intelligence was more important than talent.

And, Ivy is being considered for depth. Lito is not guaranteed anything BUT the Jets just extended his ass. Who do you all think T-Rex is going to start opposite Revis? Lito has to embarrass himself in camp in order to not be the starter.

He is also a lot faster. And can make tackles. Still, I would not get into a bidding war over him. His height (5'8") concerns me.

Besides being faster and his tackle ability, he can also relieve Leon from punt return duty, giving him more touches on offense. Don't underestimate that.

Besides being faster and his tackle ability, he can also relieve Leon from punt return duty, giving him more touches on offense. Don't underestimate that.

Good point. How many other strong safeties in the NFL also return punts? The guy can scoot.

I don't see how you can compare Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard and say they are equal. Smith is a liability in coverage due to his speed. Leonhard is like having another corner playing safety. There is no comparison and hopefully Leonhard will sign with us soon.

Good point. How many other strong safeties in the NFL also return punts? The guy can scoot.

I certainly wouldn't break the bank on him, but I really do like him.

I know this sounds crazy but he reminds me of Keller or Leon in that he is unique. You can use him to do a lot of different things. You may not want him to be forced to deal with tall receivers or tight ends but I think with his speed he can:

return punts/be a factor on special teams

go one on one with many of the smaller receivers and scat backs

blitz the quarterback

save touchdowns when the play gets behind him

So, I think its worth it if the contract is reasonable. If he's a tad fragile I'd be open to the idea of spelling him more often than usual. I think that would actually be a great thing, could cause some serious confusion for opposing offenses.

are significant upgrades over Lowery and Eric Smith. Look at the vitals and game stats,the same could be equaled or even eclipsed with Lowery/E.Smith duo. If they sign its cool,but lets be realistic these are just Ryan's favorites that arent really a bit better than Lowery or Smith. Leonard is a ss at 5-8? No thanks. Lito/Revis/Lowery/Poteat just fine with me.

An orange pilon is an upgrade on Lowery.

Abram Elam would start over Eric Smith.

I still think Jim Leonhard and Corey Ivy land here, its just going to take longer than expected because they want to view other options, they weren't like Bart where he was going to be a Raven or a Jet and that was that.

That being said if the Jets ended up with Elam as the other S and Lowery as the Nickelback, our unit would still be much improved over last year just because Lowery isn't starting and Lito Sheppard, a 2007 Pro Bowler before complaining about his contract and falling out of favor in Philly, as the #2 Corner.

I agree. I am content with Lowery and Elam. However, we do need depth. If they sign then that'll be a good look, if not its not the end of the world.

Come on, I would be an upgrade over Eric Smith. The guy is a bum. Any person who can actually manage to stay on their own 2 feet for the majority of the time would be an upgrade. Ivy is a depth luxury and while Leonhard isn't the only option at safety, don't think for a second that Smith as an acceptable option as a starting player.

nothing bad can from this.

1 they know the REX system very well.

2 lowry is a second year corner, he can only get better

3After last year Lito will being looking to prove him self, \

4 these additions will put so fire under there asses and bring out alot of compettieon and hard work to those positions. Substituons during games will have them rested through most games(Dept at position as well) and our special teams will improve with lito type speed and Leonard returning on punts will give leon a break during transitions

dont forget leon was our KR PR and RB

he's the man but he does need rest

Come on, I would be an upgrade over Eric Smith. The guy is a bum. Any person who can actually manage to stay on their own 2 feet for the majority of the time would be an upgrade. Ivy is a depth luxury and while Leonhard isn't the only option at safety, don't think for a second that Smith as an acceptable option as a starting player.

You are too short, you hit like a girl, and are a liability in coverage.

You are too short, you hit like a girl, and are a liability in coverage.

I have to agree with EY on this on. BG lacks a lot of the characteristics one looks for in an NFL safety. His age is also a significant concern. I don't think any team would sign a safety as old as BG.

Eric Smith is ****ing terrible. Leonhard is twice the player.

Lowery vs. Lito will be interesting.

I think we all also need to understand is that whoever is in the #2 spot is going to give us headaches regardless. Revis is the real deal, so the #2 is gonna see a hail storm of balls (no homo) that's just the way it goes. I'd rather see a competition between Sheppard and Lowery then Poteat and Lowery. JMO

I watched a replay of the OT win against the patsies* last year on NFL Network last night...Lowery got lit up all game long by Gaffney...PLEASE...Maybe he got tired of the long NFL season but he sucked balls at the end of last season. I was very high on him early on but he faded terribly in the end

I think we all also need to understand is that whoever is in the #2 spot is going to give us headaches regardless. Revis is the real deal, so the #2 is gonna see a hail storm of balls (no homo) that's just the way it goes. I'd rather see a competition between Sheppard and Lowery then Poteat and Lowery. JMO

Exactly.

I can't see why people can't grasp this concept. When you have one corner as good as Revis, the other guy is gonna get picked on like crazy.

the way I look at it is the entire secondary is stronger overall, which was a huge concern of mine after hiring ryan because if you pressure, but can't cover, you just give up big plays

this sort of gives rex the confidence to turn the dogs loose, and that's a good thing

Archived