Jets to bring in Percy Harvin & Kenny Britt ~ PFT.com

So his being slower is now an advantage?

No, his point is that while others worked to improve their track speed, Harvin has real football speed, which anyone who's ever watched him play can attest.

Whenever this comes up I always think of what Jimmy Johnson said when he was asked about Emmitt Smith's piss poor 40 time in the combine. Johnson calmly explained that of all the the film he watched on Smith, he never once saw him get caught from behind.

Harvin is the same way. He's not a track star, he's a football player. He's got maybe the most explosive first step I've ever seen and he reaches full speed in one or two steps.

The guy is a phenomenal PLAYMAKER and if you put him on the field with Leon Washington, defensive coordinators will be crapping their pants because they won't have a clue which one to key on.

After you typed this, did you ask yourself why one school would have so many WR flops? Florida gets the elite athletes, so that isn't it. They play in the SEC, so that isn't it. Has to be the coaching they receive and the systems they play in that make them look better than they are. Guess what, he played in a different system than those flops. He may flop, but it won't be because of anything in the previous Florida receivers history. If you compare Harvin to DHB or Nicks....it is a no contest.

Not really. Being an ALABAMA grad I just hate everything Florida U. :P

ALL of the previous high rated WR that came out of Florida were recruited to play in a different system. They were all Spurrier/Zook guys.

Oh, and Darrell Jackson and Ike Hilliard were not busts by any stretch of the imagination, not to mention Cris Collinsworth.

Jackson has gone backwards since he was drafted. Hilliard was drafted in 1997 and Collinsworth in 1981.

Apart from Collinsworth Florida WR's suck balls.

I'm just glad the FO is addressing this obvious area of need.

they will add lots of offense. they'll draft some skill players, sign a bunch of UFA's, then probably bring in a vet

I bet we draft a WR, TE and RB, and maybe even 2 WR's

No, his point is that while others worked to improve their track speed, Harvin has real football speed, which anyone who's ever watched him play can attest.

Whenever this comes up I always think of what Jimmy Johnson said when he was asked about Emmitt Smith's piss poor 40 time in the combine. Johnson calmly explained that of all the the film he watched on Smith, he never once saw him get caught from behind.

Harvin is the same way. He's not a track star, he's a football player. He's got maybe the most explosive first step I've ever seen and he reaches full speed in one or two steps.

The guy is a phenomenal PLAYMAKER and if you put him on the field with Leon Washington, defensive coordinators will be crapping their pants because they won't have a clue which one to key on.

Fine. You like the guy, but this "football speed" bull**** is reaching epic proportions. I hear the same bull**** about Moreno. You are fast or you are not. Don't tell me that it proves he has great football speed and isn't a track star because he timed worse than Maclin. Those squids he is outrunning weren't at the combine. Maybe a few per game at most. The rest are stiffs. It's not so impressive to outrun a bunch of guys that won't make one of those AF2 camps jetsrule128/soveriegn/BenEpstein is always raving about.

Jackson has gone backwards since he was drafted. Hilliard was drafted in 1997 and Collinsworth in 1981.

Apart from Collinsworth Florida WR's suck balls.

And exactly zero of the Florida WR flops were recruited by Urban Meyer or played in his system.

It's basically comparing apples and oranges.

Fine. You like the guy, but this "football speed" bull**** is reaching epic proportions. I hear the same bull**** about Moreno. You are fast or you are not. Don't tell me that it proves he has great football speed and isn't a track star because he timed worse than Maclin. Those squids he is outrunning weren't at the combine. Maybe a few per game at most. The rest are stiffs. It's not so impressive to outrun a bunch of guys that won't make one of those AF2 camps jetsrule128/soveriegn/BenEpstein is always raving about.

If you don't understand the difference between football speed and track speed I can't help you out in this conversation.

Suffice it to say, there is a difference between running in a straight line in shorts and a t-shirt and running in pads and a helmet while being chased by guys who want to tear your head off.

A lot of those guys who are superfast on the track can't run nearly as well with pads and some guys who don't run so well on the track lose little or no speed when they have pads on.

And exactly zero of the Florida WR flops were recruited by Urban Meyer or played in his system.

It's basically comparing apples and oranges.

It's saying that 98% of Florida receivers will suck in the NFL.

Didn't Chad "bust" Jackson play for Meyer in 2005? Meyer didn't recruit him but Jackson was all SEC that season.

If you don't understand the difference between football speed and track speed I can't help you out in this conversation.

Suffice it to say, there is a difference between running in a straight line in shorts and a t-shirt and running in pads and a helmet while being chased by guys who want to tear your head off.

A lot of those guys who are superfast on the track can't run nearly as well with pads and some guys who don't run so well on the track lose little or no speed when they have pads on.

Nobody understands the difference. It may exist, but you can't quantify it. Harvin may be running away from these guys based on cutting ability and acceleration. It also may just be that these guys are that much slower than NFL players that it all won't matter. That's why the draft is a crap shoot. FWIW, I think the pads and helmet argument is overstated. Fast is fast, but some guys spend too much time thinking (or trying to think) and not enough time running. Examples of this are Gholston and B Thomas. ****ing underachievers.

I really don't see the benefit of taking Harvin. He's a talented playmaker but if we take him we still won't be addressing our need at WR. He also doesn't really bring anything to the table that we don't already have in Leon. The fact that he doesn't run routes, doesn't have a true position, is very injury prone, and doesn't give us anything we don't already have makes me want no part of him in the 1st round.

Nobody understands the difference. It may exist, but you can't quantify it. Harvin may be running away from these guys based on cutting ability and acceleration. It also may just be that these guys are that much slower than NFL players that it all won't matter. That's why the draft is a crap shoot. FWIW, I think the pads and helmet argument is overstated. Fast is fast, but some guys spend too much time thinking (or trying to think) and not enough time running. Examples of this are Gholston and B Thomas. ****ing underachievers.

Percy Harvin is fast, just ask the hundreds of players that seen the number 8 and 1 get smaller and smaller as he blazes away from them. You cant question SEC speed and he blazes by them all.

No you can never predict who is going to be game fast, but you are acting like he is slow. His 40 time is not something to worry about. You just have a slight obsession with the 40 for some reason. And you guys are acting like he ran a 4.7.

Percy Harvin is fast, just ask the hundreds of players that seen the number 8 and 1 get smaller and smaller as he blazes away from them. You cant question SEC speed and he blazes by them all.

No you can never predict who is going to be game fast, but you are acting like he is slow. His 40 time is not something to worry about. You just have a slight obsession with the 40 for some reason. And you guys are acting like he ran a 4.7.

I am not acting like he is slow. I am not bashing him. However, I am not sucking him off for having his 8 and 1 disappear from a bunch of guys that will never see an NFL camp. I don't have an obsession with the 40 or Percy Harvin. I just don't want to hear that I'm supposed to believe how fast he is for being able to beat up on the SEC when I'm not supposed to believe that players that actually run faster than him are faster than him. If he and Moreno are "blazing through the SEC" consider SEC speed questioned.

His 40 is nothing to worry about. He's fast enough. Just don't use it as a selling point in comparison to players that are actually faster than him. The only reason I got involved in this discussion was that JCB#s claimed that he was better than Louis Murphy because Murphy ran faster, which somehow proves that Harvin has more "football speed". Stick with "moves", "acceleration" or "production". Save your "football speed" for somebody that is buying.

I am not acting like he is slow. I am not bashing him. However, I am not sucking him off for having his 8 and 1 disappear from a bunch of guys that will never see an NFL camp. I don't have an obsession with the 40 or Percy Harvin. I just don't want to hear that I'm supposed to believe how fast he is for being able to beat up on the SEC when I'm not supposed to believe that players that actually run faster than him are faster than him. If he and Moreno are "blazing through the SEC" consider SEC speed questioned.

His 40 is nothing to worry about. He's fast enough. Just don't use it as a selling point in comparison to players that are actually faster than him. The only reason I got involved in this discussion was that JCB#s claimed that he was better than Louis Murphy because Murphy ran faster, which somehow proves that Harvin has more "football speed". Stick with "moves", "acceleration" or "production". Save your "football speed" for somebody that is buying.

Well see, thats my definition of Football speed.

Anyway, I have watched the guy like a hawk for years. He is my favorite Gator or all time. And the fact the people are saying Luis Murphy is going to be better is an absolute insult to probably the best player to ever put on Orange and Blue.

I like Luis a lot, but that guy drops a lot of passes.

Well see, thats my definition of Football speed.

Anyway, I have watched the guy like a hawk for years. He is my favorite Gator or all time. And the fact the people are saying Luis Murphy is going to be better is an absolute insult to probably the best player to ever put on Orange and Blue.

I like Luis a lot, but that guy drops a lot of passes.

Agreed. There are plenty of reasons to think Harvin is better than Louis Murphy, but the fact that Murphy is faster is not one of them.

Why? Is it not clearly obvious when the SEC plays out of conference and they look twice as fast as the other team?

It is. The SEC is more athletic. This is not to say the other conferences do not have speed. They do, but there is more in the SEC.

You're pretty much defining "football speed" there..

You're pretty much defining "football speed" there..

On field IQ is definitely a big part of "football speed," but it goes much deeper than that. Burst, the ability to cut at full speed, vision, and breakaway speed play a very large.

Leon Washington is not a player who had a fantastic 40 time, but he has amazing "football speed." Even though he is not the fastest player in the NFL on paper, there are very few players who can catch him.

On field IQ is definitely a big part of "football speed," but it goes much deeper than that. Burst, the ability to cut at full speed, vision, and breakaway speed play a very large.

Leon Washington is not a player who had a fantastic 40 time, but he has amazing "football speed." Even though he is not the fastest player in the NFL on paper, there are very few players who can catch him.

Well... yes exactly..

The idea of football speed vs. track speed to me has always meant the mental and physical differences required to read and react to what you are seeing on a football field versus running real fast in a straight line. You can be the fastest guy in the world, but if you can get around players and react quickly to ever changing dynamics, it'll be worthless..

They are most certainly not the same ability...

Archived