Jets Have Their Eyes On Quarterbacks Josh Freeman And Mark Sanchez

SoFlaJets

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, April 19th 2009, 4:00 AM

The Jets have drafted 15 quarterbacks since the latter stage of the Joe Namath era, circa 1976, a seemingly perpetual search for The Next One. Of the 15, only one - one! - has produced a winning record as a full-time starter. Hint: He now plays for the Dolphins.

Anybody want to draft another, hoping for a Sweet 16th?

The NFL draft is next weekend and, once again, the Jets are wrapped up in a quarterback decision. In the wake of Brett Favre's one-and-done, they're left with no proven commodities at the position, fueling speculation that new coach Rex Ryan might take the plunge with the 17th pick.

There are three top quartterback prospects in the draft - Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman - and there's a chance Freeman could be available for the Jets. He's 6-6, 248 pounds with deceptive mobility and a rifle for an arm, prompting comparisons to Ben Roethlisberger. (By the way, Freeman agrees with the Big Ben talk.) He'd be mighty tempting for the Jets.

"When you're sitting at 17, you've got to be flexible, but the quarterback thing is No. 1," said Mike Mayock, the draft analyst for the NFL Network.

Publicly, the Jets are standing by their men, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge, even if they have only three victories between them, all by Clemens. (By the way, Clemens and Ainge are quarterback picks 14 and 15, respectively, since Namath.) Clemens impressed in a just-completed minicamp, and some in the organization remain high on Ratliff.

"We feel comfortable with the three players we have," GM Mike Tannenbaum said. "They've earned the right to compete for the job."

Is that a smokescreen?

The Jets have done a ton of homework on Sanchez and Freeman, doing the private workout/classroom session/dinner thing with both players. Freeman said offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer grilled him for three hours at the whiteboard, testing his knowledge of a small package of Jets plays that he had two days to study.

"I think I did well," Freeman said in a phone interview, recalling the Jets' visit to his campus.

Freeman, a three-year starter at Kansas State, is knocked for being inconsistent, but he managed to throw 20 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions last season on a mediocre team. That, he believes, should put him on the level of Stafford and Sanchez, who played on talented teams at Georgia and USC, respectively.

"I didn't have the luxuries the other quarterbacks had, but my production was similar," Freeman said. "The film speaks for itself."

Stafford could be the No. 1 overall pick by the Lions, so let's eliminate him from the conversation. In terms of Freeman and Sanchez, most scouts would agree that Freeman gets the edge on raw talent, but there's a boom-or-bust factor that concerns some teams. One GM, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Sanchez is "the best package right now, but Freeman has the highest ceiling. He could be a 'wow' guy, but he needs to mature a little as a person. He'd be a neophyte compared to the two other kids."

Unbeknownst to many, Freeman has a history with Jets offensive line coach Bill Callahan - and not a good history. As a celebrated high school junior in Kansas City, Freeman gave an oral commitment to Nebraska, coached by Callahan, but he changed his mind, making

big headlines in Big 12 country. It prompted a stinging rebuke from Callahan, who told a newspaper in Nebraska that Freeman is a "prima donna" and a "drama queen."

"I don't think he has any resentment toward me," Freeman said. "If I got drafted by the Jets, we'd be working toward a common goal - winning."

Freeman has impressed the Jets with his physical ability, but there might be some concerns about how he would handle the pressure of being a No. 1 pick in the New York market. With Sanchez, there's no concern about that.

"Sanchez is a fantastic leader and he played in Los Angeles, which is like the 33rd NFL team - and he's led that team," said Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' vice president of college scouting. "Freeman is physically gifted. He has a big arm. He hasn't had as much success as Sanchez, but he's a very talented, athletic quarterback."

He didn't mention anything about Freeman's intangibles, and the Jets are big on intangibles, especially at the quarterback position.

The biggest question about Sanchez is his lack of experience. He started only 16 games in college, but he decided to turn pro against the advice of his coach, Pete Carroll. There's a history of junior quarterbacks who have flopped in the NFL.

"The 16 starts were in huge games, and the biggest games were my best games," Sanchez said. "I've been at the school four years and I practiced and played against the best competition. ... We don't do powder-puff scrimmages against the scout team all the time. You're playing against guys that are drafted on the first day every year."

USC's last top QB prospect, Matt Leinart, has been a disappointment in the NFL, but that shouldn't hurt Sanchez, according to Mayock. Sanchez has done a "great job of presenting himself as the anti-Leinart," Mayock said. "He's gone out of his way to present himself as the son of a fireman with a blue-collar work ethic, and don't lump me into the Hollywood thing."

Thing is, the Jets probably will have to trade up to get Sanchez, who could be chosen anywhere from fourth to

13th. Tannenbaum isn't shy about trading up, but you have to wonder if he'll part with extra picks if he really does believe in Clemens & Co. The smoke will clear in a week.

On the Radar

Matthew Stafford (6-2, 225) Georgia: Wishful thinking, Jets fans. The strong-armed junior probably will be picked by the Lions at the top of the draft.

Mark Sanchez (6-2, 227) USC: One of the hottest prospects in the draft, could go as high as fourth (Seattle). Passed for 34 touchdowns, only 10 interceptions and completed 66% of his passes. Won MVP of the Rose Bowl. Intangibles galore, with a good, not great arm. Started only 16 games. Is he a one-year wonder?

Josh Freeman (6-6, 248) Kansas State: Often compared to Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco because of his size and arm strength. Started 32 straight games. Struggled against superior competition. Questions about his ability to read defenses. The Bucs, picking 19th, could try to jump ahead of the Jets (17th).

I would LOVE for the Jets to draft Sanchez but I have a good feeling he wont last that long so when the Jets are on the board...I would LOVE for them to go after Percy Harvin...This kid is explosive and the Jets need more talent @ the WR position and Harvin will be the best WR on the board because Maclin and Crabtree will both be gone and the thing is...Harvin has the talent, ability and potential to be BETTER than Crabtree and if the Jets land Harvin...We land a serious playmaker

Freeman & Sanchez both suck. Jets will regret picking either one of these 2 dooshies.

Freeman would have to ride the pine for 2 seasons, many people say. I wouldn't understand that selection at all.

I would LOVE for the Jets to draft Sanchez but I have a good feeling he wont last that long so when the Jets are on the board...I would LOVE for them to go after Percy Harvin...This kid is explosive and the Jets need more talent @ the WR position and Harvin will be the best WR on the board because Maclin and Crabtree will both be gone and the thing is...Harvin has the talent, ability and potential to be BETTER than Crabtree and if the Jets land Harvin...We land a serious playmaker

Could not think of a pick I hate more than Harvin. Injury questions, character questions, reputed bad Wonderlic, reputed failed drug test (i know...just pot but reinforces that he's an idiot), comes from a school with a history of failed WR prospects. I read that the Cowboys (!) have taken him off their draft board. Next to the Raiders doing it, I can't think of a bigger 'oops' than that. He may turn out just fine, but way too much risk for me in the first round. For that kind of risk, I'd rather take a shot on Freeman so if it works out, we have a QB, not a WR/RB tweener that's similar to a player we already have in Leon.

Freeman would have to ride the pine for 2 seasons, many people say. I wouldn't understand that selection at all.

Because good teams draft from the long term. Almost any QB prospect will benefit from at least one season on the bench. But if you never take one because of that, you'll never have a home-grown QB and it's really rare and expensive to get one as a FA or through trade.

Not saying Freeman is 'the guy', but I'm okay with the investment.

I agree with that. I think Tannenbaum's definitely thinking about the immediate future, and that Ryan should be. Freeman would be a very risky pick. If they're in love with Sanchez, I could see them trading up for him, though. If that doesn't happen, they might trade down if Freeman's on the board at #17.

Because good teams draft from the long term. Almost any QB prospect will benefit from at least one season on the bench. But if you never take one because of that, you'll never have a home-grown QB and it's really rare and expensive to get one as a FA or through trade.

Not saying Freeman is 'the guy', but I'm okay with the investment.

I'm with ya

It's amazing how football fans have become so impatient. If a guy isn't rookie of the year, they are a bust, and all draft picks must address an immediate need

Neither of these QB's are going to make the 2009 Jets better. Do we know if either one is better then any current Jets QB's on the roster. The best thing the Jets can do is to find out in 2009 if one of there current QB's can take the next step. If one of the current QB's are not ready to take the next step then 2010 will be the time to get the QB to take us to the next step. I do not think there is a special QB in the 2009 draft and to take one and force one could haunt us for many years.

Neither of these QB's are going to make the 2009 Jets better. Do we know if either one is better then any current Jets QB's on the roster. The best thing the Jets can do is to find out in 2009 if one of there current QB's can take the next step. If one of the current QB's are not ready to take the next step then 2010 will be the time to get the QB to take us to the next step. I do not think there is a special QB in the 2009 draft and to take one and force one could haunt us for many years.

If the Jets really do like one of the two QBs a lot, then they absolutely should take them. I agree about finding out about our current players and they can still do that while giving the rookie a year to sit on the bench and learn. That way if a year from now there's still no proven QB on this roster, rather than having to draft one and start him as a rookie or wait another year before playing him, you've already got a guy you like with one year on the team ready to go.

Whats the worst that could happen? Clemens or Ratliff turns out to be the real deal and it turns out you didn't really need the QB. Not really a bad situation to be in. The Chargers did it with Brees and Rivers, the Browns did it with Anderson and Quinn. I would have no problem with the Jets doing exactly the same if they truly believed in one of these two guys.

The pick of Freeman is understandable. If Clemens fails or gets hurt, what then. Ratty is terribly unproven. If Clemens succeeds, you can trade Freeman in a couple of years for Jay Cutler type picks. Having too many QB's in this league is not a luxury, it is a necessity.

If the Jets really do like one of the two QBs a lot, then they absolutely should take them. I agree about finding out about our current players and they can still do that while giving the rookie a year to sit on the bench and learn. That way if a year from now there's still no proven QB on this roster, rather than having to draft one and start him as a rookie or wait another year before playing him, you've already got a guy you like with one year on the team ready to go.

Whats the worst that could happen? Clemens or Ratliff turns out to be the real deal and it turns out you didn't really need the QB. Not really a bad situation to be in. The Chargers did it with Brees and Rivers, the Browns did it with Anderson and Quinn. I would have no problem with the Jets doing exactly the same if they truly believed in one of these two guys.

If the Jets believe Freeman or Sanchez are the real deal then they should take him. I just think either one is a bigger risk then normal draft risk, Sanchez is a one year starter who has an average arm and Freeman is a QB whom is climbing the ranks because of position scarcity in another year would be a mid-second pick.

The Jets will pick a defensive player 1st.

Ryan is a defensive HC and he knows that you have to stop the other guy from scoring before you can win.

Yeah, but he should know, too, that you can't outscore your opponent without scoring some points yourself.

we ain't getting the guy we want (Sanchez) so I predict the Jets trade out of the 17 position back into the late first round and get more pix.

Look guys I notice how so many of you criticize these beat writers EVERY TIME I POST ONE and if you'd like I won't bother posting the articles anymore-let me know. IDK, but I figure it gives us something to talk about at this time of year. During the season articles get a little redundant but hey It's April...you want to continue talking about how much you love or hate Chad Pennington? Or perhaps why we should or shouldn't have drafted Gholston?

To bad this is all media hype, and their wishful thinking. Clemens better than anyone we could draft this year, will be our qb in 09. And soon, Rex will prove it when we dont draft a wasted pick of a young inexperienced qb, in any round.

I'm with ya

It's amazing how football fans have become so impatient. If a guy isn't rookie of the year, they are a bust, and all draft picks must address an immediate need

I agree with you on many levels, not just QB. Winning coaches are fired. QB's are rushed into bad situations where thay can't possibly succeed, DC's and OC's are thrown under the bus while entire administrations are waiting for pink slips after one down season. There are so few "regimes" anymore, just a revolving door of transitional parts hoping parity, luck and a weak schedule get them to the big show.

Stay away from both of the guys please!!!

It looks like now Cleveland is looking at Sanchez as well. I think Freeman is the only one going to be abailable for us. I won't be upset if he was taken tho.

DAUNTE CULPEPPERR!!!

ATTN: THIS IS NOT A PRO-RATLIFF/ ANTI-CLEMENS POST. THERE IS NO AGENDA. THE BEST QB WE HAVE IS THE BEST,PERIOD

with that said, Josh Freeman sounds and awful lot like a guy we have on the roster, big size, big arm, small school.

I haven't seen film on Josh Freeman,but i trust the thousands of "experts who did and have him falling to us, so I believe Freeman or Sanchez have as good a chance as Clemens or Ratliff, so I say you NEED to go WR at one, OR Beenie Wells if available and a WR at 2 or FA(it won't take a #1pick this year to get Boldin or Edwards,maybe next maybe neither, 2's and 3's can get these guys. Moss was had for a four alone, he was still pretty dammmm good.)

Do we have an 85 on the team?would wesley walker mind?Ocho.....

You know, if this Crabtree or Sanchez thing is true (reports out of Cleveland say they have narrowed it down to those two) and they pick Sanchez, well then, what the hell do they do with Quinn and Anderson? You'd think they'd have to trade them both to make room for Sanchez's deal, or at the very least they'd have to move Quinn.

You know, if this Crabtree or Sanchez thing is true (reports out of Cleveland say they have narrowed it down to those two) and they pick Sanchez, well then, what the hell do they do with Quinn and Anderson? You'd think they'd have to trade them both to make room for Sanchez's deal, or at the very least they'd have to move Quinn.

Quinn will be out of football in 3 years.

Archived