Jets Trade Rumor On WFAN

GFJET33

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cassel sat on the bench for 2 years, SFJ.

So which is it? Experience doesn't matter or you need to sit on the bench?

what I'm saying is the old rules are changing. Teams are no longer as apprehensive to start a rookie QB. Look future HOFer Tom Fcking BRADY was in front of Cassel-of course he sits. PERIOD. But, when his time came they put it in the hands of a guy who hadn't started a game since the last game as a senior in high school-all I'm saying is the rules seemed to have changed as to when a QB gets to play.

Has anyone given a legit reason as to why Sanchez sucks?

The guy is a good QB.

Okay.

Then so are Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratlif and Erik Ainge.

Can you think of any reasons why Sanchez is a good QB?

~ Only 16 starts

~ Average at best arm strengh

~ Lobs all deep balls, all are "hanging Chad's"

~ Prima Dona

~ Had elite talent around him at USC, didn't get it done

~ Right handed version of Matt Leinart

~ What was it? Only 1700 yards in his last 9 starts?

this would be all about putting people in the seats for the new stadium. Definetly not what is best for the team. Just like getting Favre last year, needed something to keep up with the Giants.

Stay where they are in the first, and move up a little in the 2nd. Because they are in no mans land with that pick.

So Antonio Bryant had one good season after doing nothing for a couple of years and he's better than Jerricho Cotchery? And until we see how Holt does at 32 with knee problems, I'm not ready to say that Cotchery isn't better either. And even if Holt still is, I'll take Stuckey over anything Jacksonville has after Holt. :yes:

Yes, Bryant, after one ALL-PRO caliber season is better than Cotchery.

He dominated the last month of the season.

The next time Jericho Cotchery dominates anything will be the first.

The guy is a good QB.

I like Sanchez. I don't think he sucks.

I just think it's a disaster to start a QB with only 16 collegiate starts. Every other QB mentioned in this thread (Flacco, Ryan, Thigpen, Cassel) either started significantly more collegiate games or sat on the bench for a year or more. Heck, Tom Brady sat on the bench for a year. So did Palmer.

I don't think it's necessary for all rookie QBs to sit on the bench, but when they have the minimal amount of starting experience it's a detriment to their NFL development for them to start. Young QBs can get ruined by starting early.

Okay.

~ Only 16 starts

~ Prima Dona

How did he "not get it done?" Didnt they win the Rose Bowl?

16 starts- again, why does this matter? If he can play, he can play.

Prima Donna- Really Joe? Really? See Cutler, Jay and how many other qb's.

RIght handed version of Leinart? Leinart doesnt even care about football.

This kid is going to be good.

I like Sanchez. I don't think he sucks.

I just think it's a disaster to start a QB with only 16 collegiate starts. Every other QB mentioned in this thread (Flacco, Ryan, Thigpen, Cassel) either started significantly more collegiate games or sat on the bench for a year or more. Heck, Tom Brady sat on the bench for a year. So did Palmer.

I don't think it's necessary for all rookie QBs to sit on the bench, but when they have the minimal amount of starting experience it's a detriment to their NFL development for them to start. Young QBs can get ruined by starting early.

I really dont buy into that. If they get ruined because of a crappy first season, theyn they probably werent very tough menatally to begin with. Peytons first season sure as hell didnt hurt him.

How did he "not get it done?" Didnt they win the Rose Bowl?

Prima Donna- Really Joe? Really? See Cutler, Jay and how many other qb's.

RIght handed version of Leinart? Leinart doesnt even care about football.

This kid is going to be good.

He lost to Oregon State. National Championships are what matters at USC with the talent they have, not 1 loss seasons and wins over Penn State, who if they played ANYONE, would never end up in the Rose Bowl.

Sanchez doesn't give two ****s about football either. All he cares about is landing in a big market, he said it himself, he likes the idea of the Jets because of NYC being like LA, **** anything about the Jets team.

It does matter. He is unproven and to throw him into the fire and start him right away is a DISASTER. If you don't start a lot of game in college, how the phuck does it make any sense to start them right away? He NEEDS to spend 2 years on the bench. The Jets would not be doing that. He could succeed in Seattle behind Hasselbeck for 2 years, but in NY where he would start from Day 1? Certain failure.

Less starts means less information upon which to base a decision as to whether he can play. It's not as though the Bengals took Akili Smith knowing that he was awful.

Okay.

~ Only 16 starts

~ Prima Dona

I am not a Sanchez lover, but a few of your reasons are dead wrong. If he has an issue in the pros, it certainly won't be arm strength. Plus, the talent around him at USC was not elite last year. That offensive line suffered a ton of graduations as did the receiver corp. If you look at Sanchez's highlight package, check out how many times he is flushed out of the pocket or has to step up to avoid a jailbreak. I don't know what a right handed Matt Leinart is. Let's face it, you are guessing...the Jets are guessing....it is all a guess. Anyone who thinks they know for sure is wrong.

The guy is a good QB.

He had one season as a starter as a red shirt junior after being Booty's backup. One full season under his belt and a last second decision to declare for the draft after the other studs decided to stay in school one more year. One year as a starter and he leaves early when it becomes clear that he will have 1) less competition at QB in the draft and hence 2) more money to be had. I think this guy is jumping early for the money and so he faces less competition...doesn't exactly instill confidence when it comes to trading away 1/2 the draft.

Sure, if we're willing to trust the scouts for the Jets then I guess pull the trigger. They have such a great track record.

Today's Did You Know: The last USC QB to leave before his eligibility ran out......Todd Marinovich.

I really dont buy into that. If they get ruined because of a crappy first season, theyn they probably werent very tough menatally to begin with. Peytons first season sure as hell didnt hurt him.

I don't either-not behind an OL like the Jets have. David Carr is the guy who comes to my mind that got "RUINED"-there is a big difference in that situation and the 2009 Jets situation-we have 2 pro bowl RBs 2 pro bowl O-linemen and two pretty good pass catchers in Cotch and Keller

He's not a RB or DE where natural talent can win out over experience.

A QB has to be able to digest the playbook and regurgitate it, read the defense, make a decision, and react. With more games started that means he has been able to master certain study habits, memorization tools, etc. in being able to know the playbook. With more experience he has seen more defenses and learned how to lesson his decision and reaction time.

Besides that, as Aten said, the less starts mean there is a smaller sample size to evaluate.

Let's say you just drove a car for the first time. You're pretty good at it. Heck, you've driven 10 times already. Now, I want you to drive professionally in the Daytona 500. It's just driving. If you can drive, you can drive.

There are a few other teams (Minnesota, Giants, SF, Miami) who are on par with us as well.

It's not all about the WR corps anyway. It's much easier to put a rookie QB behind a dominating OL and formidable rushing attack regardless of the receivers. Keller is a legitimate weapon as well.

Let's say you just drove a car for the first time. You're pretty good at it. Heck, you've driven 10 times already. Now, I want you to drive professionally in the Daytona 500. It's just driving. If you can drive, you can drive.

Practice laps are for pussies. Just show me what it can do on youtube and gimme the keys.

to be fair

Cotch had only 1 drop last year

led NFL in that category..he is money when ball is near him

call their bluff....

Wait until they are on the clock... and watch the price go DOWN.

I agree.

Plus if Sanchez is gone by 5 (Browns) & Crabtree is available - make the Thomas Jones Trade to Cleaveland for Quinn & Get the WR!

I actually wouldnt mind this. but not for sanchez. my thought process is the jets make this trade, and hoopefully sanches goes to seattle. that means crabtree could be there at 8 which would be worth the trade. if not im sure maclin would be there who is still a great addition. if hes goes as well I would say get receiver, but we couldve got that receiver at 17. basically a hit or miss deal which is why you wait until the jags are on the clock.

It should not be for a WR, if you want a WR give your 1 & 3 to the Cards for Boldin.

Thomas Jones for Quinn? Huh?

Rumors started flying at ESPN radio durring Gotlieb's show yesterday during the mock draft - ESPN Cleaveland was reporting that the Browns were interested in Sanchez & were considering a trade with an "East Coast" team.

Everyone knows Mangini loves Thomas Jones. So it's natural to consider the following:

1. He feels that Brady Quinn is too expensive to continue to keep him as the 2nd stringer
  2. By drafting either Sanchez or Stafford (Rumors in the mock draft also indicated that the Lions were not interested in a QB at #1 and that the talks have cooled over the last few days with both QB's and that talks had begun with Adam Curry's people)
  3. He needs a strong Running back
  4. Thomas Jones has refused to come to camp early in the LAST year of his contract

Now I don't know about you - I'd be happy if we stayed put & made that trade...

Coles and Cotch are about even. Given age and injury history, I would take Cotch.

I'd take him too, but Coles is the superior receiver. We all got to see Cotch as a #1 in 2007 and the site was pretty damn fugly.

Favre gets way too much credit for those first 11 games. He had a few solid games and two dominating games (Arizona, St Louis), but let's not forget the clunkers (San Diego, Oakland) and the games he nearly gave away on his own (KC, Buffalo 1).

Come on... In the KC game he lead a TD drive FTW..

For someone who was so creative with Chadxcuses for the noodle arm, I can't believe you are criticizing Favre for a game he came back and won late..

Favre played very well over those first 11 games, by anyones fair estimation, particularly considering the circumstances of how he came to be a Jet and how bad Coles was most of the time (many of Favre's INT's were on long balls to Coles that he didn't go up and fight enough for)

Conversely, Favre was putrid in those last 5 games, so don't take this as a defense..

Okay.

~ Only 16 starts

~ Prima Dona

I'm not a huge fan of Sanchez, but at least use accurate info.

He threw for 2138 yard in his last nine starts if you include the Rose Bowl, 2057 if you don't include the Rose Bowl and start with the Oregon game, which was only the fourth game of the year.

Either way, its a great number. Translates to 3650 to 3800 yards in a 16 game season. Don't know anybody here who'd have a problem with that. Oh, and over that nine game stretch, the guy threw 21 TDS and 7 INTs.

I'd take him too, but Coles is the superior receiver. We all got to see Cotch as a #1 in 2007 and the site was pretty damn fugly.

I think Cotchery is the superior receiver at this point in their careers. Everyone gets an excuse in 2007 except for Cotch? I'm not claiming he is a #1 reciever, but neither is Coles.

Come on... In the KC game he lead a TD drive FTW..

For someone who was so creative with Chadxcuses for the noodle arm, I can't believe you are criticizing Favre for a game he came back and won late..

Favre played very well over those first 11 games, by anyones fair estimation, particularly considering the circumstances of how he came to be a Jet and how bad Coles was most of the time (many of Favre's INT's were on long balls to Coles that he didn't go up and fight enough for)

Conversely, Favre was putrid in those last 5 games, so don't take this as a defense..

Eh, the KC game should not have come to that. His pick 6 in the 4th quarter nearly crippled us.

Favre was far too inconsistent in the first 11 weeks to be given the compliment of playing "very well." He had his shining moments, but he had his fair share of disasters as well. He didn't start getting rave reviews until the NE and Tennessee games.

I'm not a huge fan of Sanchez, but at least use accurate info.

He threw for 2138 yard in his last nine starts if you include the Rose Bowl, 2057 if you don't include the Rose Bowl and start with the Oregon game, which was only the fourth game of the year.

Either way, its a great number. Translates to 3650 to 3800 yards in a 16 game season. Don't know anybody here who'd have a problem with that. Oh, and over that nine game stretch, the guy threw 21 TDS and 7 INTs.

I've spent the last half hour watching videos of this kid and I can tell you this; Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez should ONLY be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to their alma mater. Sanchez has a gun-ML? pop gun

Archived