Is Leon Washington worth more than $5 million/year?

Alk

Is Leon Washington worth more than $5 million/year?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Leon Washington worth more than $5 million/year?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You gotta tell the whole story Sperm. Against Jacsonville they were getting pounded but that was the game that Mangini went to an almost exlusive running offense in the 2nd half. Remember Coles bitching after that game that he was hardly even on the field after half time? Jacksonville probably expected the pass coming out of the tunnel but after a couple of posessions it was clear that the Jets were going to run the hell out of the ball.

In the second half there were 19 rushing attempts and 12 passing attempts, a roughly 60/40 split. That is hardly an "almost exclusive running offense" even though it may have seemed so from memory. Not to mention I'm sure Jacksonville, at least until those final 10 minutes, was content enough with preventing the Jets from gaining any big plays.

Even still, you're missing my point completely if you think I'm arguing that Leon is incapable of a good or great game where he carries the ball 20 times. The point is more that it was his first ever game with double-digit carries. The argument is not that he couldn't have a good game with 20 carries, but that he has not shown to be durable enough to carry 12-15 times per game for an entire season, or to be able to do that with similar results that he displayed while carrying 5 times on average. When he was given the opportunity to get far more carries, in college, he got injured 3 years out of 3, while playing against smaller, slower, and physically weaker players than he faces in the NFL.

No one is doubting Leon's playmaking ability on any given play. Many are doubting his value being as high as Leon is demanding ($6M) while analogies to dissimilar contract and team situations (like with Ward and Sproles) are brought up as though they are the same.

Even still, you're missing my point completely if you think I'm arguing that Leon is incapable of a good or great game where he carries the ball 20 times. The point is more that it was his first ever game with double-digit carries. The argument is not that he couldn't have a good game with 20 carries, but that he has not shown to be durable enough to carry 12-15 times per game for an entire season, or to be able to do that with similar results that he displayed while carrying 5 times on average. When he was given the opportunity to get far more carries, in college, he got injured 3 years out of 3, while playing against smaller, slower, and physically weaker players than he faces in the NFL

You continue to state so matter-of-factly that Leon Washington "has not shown to be durable enough to carry 12-15 times per game for an entire season" when the facts clearly prove your point to be wrong.

In Leon Washington's three years in the NFL, he's yet to miss ANY time due to injury. Just because he hasn't received the opportunity to carry the ball 12-15 times per game over the course of a full season doesn't prove that he's not capable of doing so.

On top of that, what evidence do you have to support your claim that he loses effectiveness when carrying the ball 12-15 times per game as opposed to 5 times per game? The stats in my previous post show that in games where he carried the ball 10+ per game, he averages 4.8 yards per carry. If that's not "effective" than I'd like to know, what is?

You continue to state so matter-of-factly that Leon Washington "has not shown to be durable enough to carry 12-15 times per game for an entire season" when the facts clearly prove your point to be wrong.

In Leon Washington's three years in the NFL, he's yet to miss ANY time due to injury. Just because he hasn't received the opportunity to carry the ball 12-15 times per game over the course of a full season doesn't prove that he's not capable of doing so.

On top of that, what evidence do you have to support your claim that he loses effectiveness when carrying the ball 12-15 times per game as opposed to 5 times per game? The stats in my previous post show that in games where he carried the ball 10+ per game, he averages 4.8 yards per carry. If that's not "effective" than I'd like to know, what is?

I think what Sperm is saying is that in college when Leon had a chance to be a more featured back he could not do it. That is the only time he was given such an opportunity. We would have to wait and see on the effectiveness of Leon if he was given more carries. Alot of what Leon does well have come in unexpected situations, such as the big TD against the Chiefs last season. I think its actually harder to get those type of plays as a full timer who gets keyed on than a player who come in for a few and happens to break a big one. Leon could be an exception, but nobody knows.

All we do know is that Leon is looking for featured back money when its pretty apparent nobody in the organization sees him as a feature player. He is looking for feature money and tying up alot of cap room in an era where only a handful of teams are willing to pour that kind of money and cap space into 1 player at that position.

He was given the opportunity in college and he got injured in three consecutive seasons.

An isolated game or two (read: his first couple of games) doesn't show nearly as much as how he performs after getting the rock so many times for a few weeks in a row. It is in this regard that he has not proven himself enough to warrant the type of payday he is seeking. The fact is he has never eclipsed the ever-elusive level of 180 touches on offense. That he was not able to overrule his HC or OC and insert himself and award himself carries is not relevant.

There are two schools of thought: assume he can do it's until proven he can't, or assume he can't do it until it's proven that he can. The Michael Turner stories of the league are the exception rather than the rule. So you look to other factors: Turner has a far heftier build and averaged 25-30 carries per game for two consecutive seasons in college without missing a game. Leon once averaged just under 14 carries per game for 10 games and got injured in 3 out of 3 college seasons.

If some people on this site believe Leon Washington is worth $5+ million a year, I would like to know what they think Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Alan Faneca, Jerricho Cotchery, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott and Kerry Rhodes are worth. I'm guessing at least $20 million a year per each and everyone of them, since, you know, they're on the field.

If some people on this site believe Leon Washington is worth $5+ million a year, I would like to know what they think Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Alan Faneca, Jerricho Cotchery, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott and Kerry Rhodes are worth. I'm guessing at least $20 million a year per each and everyone of them, since, you know, they're on the field.

Kerry Rhodes should be paying us just to let him on the field.

I think what Sperm is saying is that in college when Leon had a chance to be a more featured back he could not do it. That is the only time he was given such an opportunity. We would have to wait and see on the effectiveness of Leon if he was given more carries. Alot of what Leon does well have come in unexpected situations, such as the big TD against the Chiefs last season. I think its actually harder to get those type of plays as a full timer who gets keyed on than a player who come in for a few and happens to break a big one. Leon could be an exception, but nobody knows.

All we do know is that Leon is looking for featured back money when its pretty apparent nobody in the organization sees him as a feature player. He is looking for feature money and tying up alot of cap room in an era where only a handful of teams are willing to pour that kind of money and cap space into 1 player at that position.

Thats my biggest concern with Leon...you just dont know what he is going to be in a full time role, but I want to find out, just not if it cost over 5 mil a year.

Thats my biggest concern with Leon...you just dont know what he is going to be in a full time role, but I want to!

Exactly, I doubt any Jet fan can say with serious face that Leon got the right amount of touches last season. He was underused, simple as that. I mean in the 2nd Buffalo game he had one carry for a 47 yard TS and didn't get a carry after that. In the KC game he broke a 60 yard run on one of his THREE carries. It was a disgrace how we used him last season. The guy makes plays and he needs to touch the ball more.

Leon has me putting my foot in my mouth after tonight's performance. Still, I wouldn't give him more than $4 million per, and the Jets are offering $5 million per, so I would be upset if they upped the offer. He is a Jet in 2009 AND 2010 either way, who cares.

Leon has me putting my foot in my mouth after tonight's performance. Still, I wouldn't give him more than $4 million per, and the Jets are offering $5 million per, so I would be upset if they upped the offer. He is a Jet in 2009 AND 2010 either way, who cares.

its a done deal now after Rex's gushing in post game conference.. Tanny probably saying 'uh thanks Rex, that will help in negotiations'

this deal gets done this week IMO..

Rex is saying to Tanny , 'Leon will be Sanchezs safety valve all year while the kid learns the ropes'

Archived