Braylon Edwards Traded To Jets: MERGED

PS17

OF course, I've given props in the past. I was very happy with the Sanchez move, and am also very happy with this move. 6 months ago my biggest gripe was his inability to find a QB, he's done that, 3 months ago the WR corps/Rookie QB was my biggest gripe and he's now fixed that. Can't complain about much..

My understanding was your biggest gripe was he was incompetent for not getting Cowher. It was Cowher or bust and no good coach would ever want to work for "an accountant."

Next I thought it was his inability to bring in a #1 WR and Braylon was the guy you wanted.

I viewed QB as your 3rd gripe at best.

Looks like you can call Tannenbaum "Tannenjols" cause (it looks like) he's 3-3 with 3 HRs.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Garbage? Stuckey will be a solid or better NFL slot receiver. Trusnick is a solid contributor - his special teams hit/forced fumble in the Titans game is a Jets season highlight. And two draft picks are two draft picks.

Stuckey and Trusnick are average NFL players... a dime a dozen...

Basically this week the JETS replaced Stuckey with Edwards and Trusnick with Pace...

You don't play to stock up draft picks that may or may not work out in 3 years...

So if we resign Lito, I think that means we're out a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th going into next year's draft. Or a 4th, I don't remember exactly.

Damn, that's depressing LOL, right now Lito isn't worth it IMO give me the picks!

Garbage? Stuckey will be a solid or better NFL slot receiver. Trusnick is a solid contributor - his special teams hit/forced fumble in the Titans game is a Jets season highlight. And two draft picks are two draft picks.

The league is littered with Jason Trusnicks. Stuckey isn't very good. A 3rd and a 5th sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.

My understanding was your biggest gripe was he was incompetent for not getting Cowher. It was Cowher or bust and no good coach would ever want to work for "an accountant."

Next I thought it was his inability to bring in a #1 WR and Braylon was the guy you wanted.

I viewed QB as your 3rd gripe at best.

Looks like you can call Tannenbaum "Tannenjols" cause (it looks like) he's 3-3 with 3 HRs.

Dude.. Pay attention.. I've been bitching about QB since they passed on Cutler.. lol

So if a new deal is made with NFLPA Edwards is a potential partial-season rental and UFA for 2010; and if 2010 is un-capped, another year before he has any FA status? Can someone confirm?

That is why I am most unhappy with the trade. I think Braylon is an upgrade and will bring a good presence to our offense but I want no part of signing this guy to big time money. His "attitude" has nothing to do with that. Brandon Marshall has a bad attitude but I'd have been perfectly fine gambling on him and giving him big money because his talent is unreal and sometimes you have to make bold moves. I don't think Braylon's talent warrants big money. Plain and simple.

We better pay him (significantly) less than Roddy White if we sign him because White's contract is the new benchmark for #1 WRs and White >>>>>>>>> Edwards.

Drops or no drops...

Cotch/Edwards >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cotch/Stuckey

People worry too much about these picks... I think Schlegal and Gholston should be enough evidence as to why you pull the trigger if you can get actual talent for a decent price... The JETS still have enough left in the draft to target who they want as usual...

Make no mistake, THIS IS A NO BRAINER MOVE.

I applaud Tanny for the deal and, as I said elsewhere, would have made the trade as well.

That said, I can't ignore the maturity issues. Hopefully Bart Scott will scare the living sh-t out of him to keep him straight.

So if a new deal is made with NFLPA Edwards is a potential partial-season rental and UFA for 2010; and if 2010 is un-capped, another year before he has any FA status? Can someone confirm?

Correct. He's a FA next year if there is a CBA, and he's an RFA if there's not.

Realistically, the Jets will have to resign him sooner rather than later. He's a diva bitch, and will be a problem if he's unhappy with his contract. For this trade to be worth it, the Jets are gonna have to pay up.

Stuckey and Trusnick are average NFL players... a dime a dozen...

Basically this week the JETS replaced Stuckey with Edwards and Trusnick with Pace...

You don't play to stock up draft picks that may or may not work out in 3 years...

You do play to stockpile draft picks if you are staring 0-16 in the face. BE was a goner in any event. They got excellent value in return. I'm not saying the Jets aren't taking an appropriate gamble here. But one does not preclude the other. Its possible that both teams did the right thing.

The league is littered with Jason Trusnicks. Stuckey isn't very good. A 3rd and a 5th sounds like a lot, but it really isn't.
The league is not littered with Trusnicks. If so then Larry Izzo wouldn't be employed into middle age. Stuckey has excellent upside as a slot WR.

So if we resign Lito, I think that means we're out a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th going into next year's draft. Or a 4th, I don't remember exactly.

I don't think Lito can cost a 2nd rounder anymore because of the number of plays he's missed already.

Wonder if Cleveland gets our 2nd rounder if our 3rd has to go to Philly.

Anyone know if the pick for Lito is either a 2nd or a 4th, or if it's anywhere from a 2nd to a 4th? Because if it's the latter, we can't give two teams our 3rd round pick.

This is definitely awesome news, but a random thought to ponder:

What about the conditional pick we owe to the Eagles for Lito Sheppard? Wasn't that anywhere from a 4th to 2nd round pick? These seems to enter into the kind of conflict of picks that existed with the Saints and Shockey/Vilma. The only thing I can think is if its possible that with Lito already missing multiple games the Jets know he won't be able to reach the conditions that would escalate the pick beyond a 4th? Just something to throw out there.

Obviously a few people beat me to the punch on the whole Lito pick situation, but multiple people are talking about "resigning" Lito. Call me crazy, but didn't we give him a brand new deal when we traded for him? Now I know the deal included a big roster bonus in year two that most estimated that he would likely be released or renegotiated unless he played at a Pro Bowl level, but with that being the case I can't imagine that a new contract would have anything to do with the level of a pick the Jets owe to the Eagles. I was always under the impression that the difference in picks would be based on playing time and/or performance.

Just found the details to support what I was saying about the contract for Lito:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=755

2/28/2009: Signed a five-year, $30.2 million contract. If Sheppard participates in at least 39% of the plays in year one, his salary escalates by $1.55 million per season for 2010 through 2013. 2009: $3 million, 2010: Under Contract, (+ $10 million option bonus), 2011-2013: Under Contract, 2014: Free Agent

This is definitely awesome news, but a random thought to ponder:

What about the conditional pick we owe to the Eagles for Lito Sheppard? Wasn't that anywhere from a 4th to 2nd round pick? These seems to enter into the kind of conflict of picks that existed with the Saints and Shockey/Vilma. The only thing I can think is if its possible that with Lito already missing multiple games the Jets know he won't be able to reach the conditions that would escalate the pick beyond a 4th? Just something to throw out there.

85% and $10 million March roster bonus.

Lito had to play 85% of the snaps and the Jets would have to pay him the $10 million March roster bonus in order to key the 2010 pick.

By Lito mising 2 1/2 games he won't be able to reach 85%.

Note, the Jets can re-sign Lito if they cut him and not pay the roster bonus without having to give up a 2010 pick.

Archived