Tannenbaum: "Rhodes will be on team next season" - Star Ledger

I'm in favor of Rhodes staying, like the idea to give him 2nd year with Rex/system.

NY Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum says rewards outweighed risks in acquiring Antonio Cromartie

By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger

March 05, 2010, 4:05PM

On the gamble of acquiring him: "We did a lot of research. We realize for him to be available at his age. ... We felt the risk was reasonable depending on the price we had to pay. We have some great resources here and we think he can be successful. We're looking forward to him having a fresh start. I'm excited about him and Rex (Ryan) is excited.

"Fresh starts often do people well. We think we can create an environment where Antonio can be successful."

On Cromartie's outstanding paternity suits: "We looked into that. He has some work to do there. Once those loose ends are tied up, he should be able to hit the field running. ... None of us are perfect. We felt the problems are fixable."

(Those loose ends are paternity suits, Cromartie said later).

On why he thinks Cromartie can get back to his 2007 form when he had an NFL-high 10 interceptions: "We feel we can work with him and get him back to that level. We have embraced the challenge. I think the vision that Rex (Ryan) and (defensive coordinator) Mike Pettine have will help him fit in our scheme." (The Jets play man-to-man while the Chargers played zone).

On Cromartie's tackling or lack thereof: "Obviously that one play (his miss on RB Shonn Greene's 53-yard touchdown in the playoffs) has gotten a lot of notoriety. But there has been some inconsistencies in his tackling."

Tannenbaum touched on other topics:

He announced the release of RB Thomas Jones and nickel back Donald Strickland. He said the decision to release Jones was based on "skill and budget." He said despite the fact this is an uncapped year he still has to show financial restraint. He downplayed the chance of Jones being re-signed. ...

He said S Kerry Rhodes will receive his $2 million roster bonus on March 12 and be on the team next season. ...

He said the team hopes to have RB Leon Washington back although he was given only a second-round tender. "I'm one of his biggest fans."

He said the trade for Cromartie allows the Jets flexibility in the draft whereas before they were definitely eyeing a cornerback at 29th overall.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ThANK YOU!!!!

You guys around here give Rhodes too hard a time. Give himanother year under Rex' defense and if he stinks up the joint again we ship his arse out and recuperrate the 3rd we just gave away for Cromartie

Hutchinson is an idiot. Tannenbaum's comments on Rhodes were prefaced by 'unless something changes' just like every other time he's been asked about him this offseason. He didn't say anything more concrete than that.

ThANK YOU!!!!

You guys around here give Rhodes too hard a time. Give himanother year under Rex' defense and if he stinks up the joint again we ship his arse out and recuperrate the 3rd we just gave away for Cromartie

DLJ, he's got to get his head in the game...too many Houdini acts by him. Personally, I've said way too many times during games..."Where was Rhodes?"

DLJ, he's got to get his head in the game...too many Houdini acts by him. Personally, I've said way too many times during games..."Where was Rhodes?"

Ravens fans ask that about Ed Reed for half the season in alot of years...Then they're all "you can't count the plays he does make because they were gifts!"

Hutchinson is an idiot. Tannenbaum's comments on Rhodes were prefaced by 'unless something changes' just like every other time he's been asked about him this offseason. He didn't say anything more concrete than that.

Yup.

I remember Tanny saying that the Jets were happy with Clemens vs. Ratliff for starting QB in 2009, too. This is GM speak. Nothing more, nothing less.

WOW, haven't been around much. But why are people happy with this?

He was the worst person alive 3 months ago. What gives?

And was the "best player" on the Defense two-three years ago (at least some whould say). So it goes. I'm not a huge Rhodes fan but he's somewhere in between all the love-hate. I can remember everyone wanting to buy #25 jerseys at one point.

He's been a roller coaster but he's a talented player. I guess I'll be indifferent if he stays or goes.

True.

But keeping Rhodes is better than trading him for 50 cents on the dollar simply because he's a punk.

He's talented and relatively cheap contract wise.

The Jets won't get better by trading Rhodes. They'll get better by Rhodes playing better.

So what does this mean?;)

Antoine Bethea-DB-Colts Mar. 5 - 4:36 pm et

In addition to the three NFC East teams mentioned previously, the Jets and Dolphins are reportedly showing interest in FS Antoine Bethea.

RFA I think. I would love Bethea as a Jet. Just don't know how they would get him? As much as I would like him, don't know if I like him that much for a first or second rounder. Unless they could get the same for Rhodes...?

True.

But keeping Rhodes is better than trading him for 50 cents on the dollar simply because he's a punk.

The Jets won't get better by trading Rhodes. They'll get better by Rhodes playing better.

Jets could feel that they're ahead of the game getting Cromartie at no 2010 cost, and may therefore be more willing to take the best deal that comes along for Rhodes - if the rumors about a serious rift between him and the coaching staff is true.

I wouldn't even guarantee Rhodes a roster spot if the Jets pay his bonus. His trade value might be a little higher at that point.

True.

i agree wholeheartedly.

Nothing is concrete with the Jets and is subject to change.... If Kerry returns Rex better not be scared to bench him earlier instead of watching him routinely blow coverages..

The only thing Rex is scared of is fasting. :P

Jets could feel that they're ahead of the game getting Cromartie at no 2010 cost, and may therefore be more willing to take the best deal that comes along for Rhodes - if the rumors about a serious rift between him and the coaching staff is true.

I wouldn't even guarantee Rhodes a roster spot if the Jets pay his bonus. His trade value might be a little higher at that point.

The best deal is no deal. There's really no reason to trade Rhodes. He's not making a lot of money, he's under 30, and he doesn't suck.

Tannenbaum said that releasing Jones had to do with skill and economics. Those 2 things go against trading Rhodes.

I'm starting to believe all this Rhodes trade stuff was the creating of Cimini and fueled by the fans.

Again, the Jets are not a better team by trading him.

ThANK YOU!!!!

I agree----what am I doing agreeing with a woman in a football forum------:confused:

WOW, haven't been around much. But why are people happy with this?

He was the worst person alive 3 months ago. What gives?

Duh, cause of his twitter contests...lol jk

What's the point of trading him? Just another need. First year in a new system.

sometimes i dont understand peoples logic of the precious first or second round pick, this guy is proven with no baggage and is only 25.

same goes for marshall, these guys are 100% battle tested but teams are afraid to trade 1 draft pick for them when in reality the success of the person they draft is mostly completely unknown (not counting top picks).

not saying we need antoine just questioning this ridiculous theory.

Yup.

I remember Tanny saying that the Jets were happy with Clemens vs. Ratliff for starting QB in 2009, too. This is GM speak. Nothing more, nothing less.

yup, this way if someone want to deal for him, tanny can say he is a big part of our plans so you'll need to sweeten the deal

The best deal is no deal. There's really no reason to trade Rhodes. He's not making a lot of money, he's under 30, and he doesn't suck.

Tannenbaum said that releasing Jones had to do with skill and economics. Those 2 things go against trading Rhodes.

I'm starting to believe all this Rhodes trade stuff was the creating of Cimini and fueled by the fans.

Again, the Jets are not a better team by trading him.

It's my personal preference that Rhodes stays. I think he gets a bum rap from a lot of Jet fans.

But I also tend to believe that the Jets have him out there on the trading block, and have a value in mind that they'd be willing to take for him. A #3 and a #5, maybe?

We'll see what happens once Rolle signs somewhere other than Arizona. That's when the Rhodes trade talk will really heat up.

So what does this mean?;)

Antoine Bethea-DB-Colts Mar. 5 - 4:36 pm et

In addition to the three NFC East teams mentioned previously, the Jets and Dolphins are reportedly showing interest in FS Antoine Bethea.

I'm calling BS.

Bethea was tendered at a 1st.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to sign Bethea to a bigger contract than what Rhodes is getting paid, lose the 29th pick, and then try to trade Rhodes for a 3rd rounder.

Seriously. How the hell are the Jets better under that scenario?

I'm calling BS.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to sign Bethea to a bigger contract than what Rhodes is getting paid, lose the 29th pick, and then try to trade Rhodes for a 3rd rounder.

Seriously. How the hell are the Jets better under that scenario?

The Jets have also been "connected" to Marshall, Boldin, and Asmougha. I'm with you SMC, take that stuff with a grain of salt.

I'm calling BS.

You're right. It doesn't make sense to sign him. But it makes sense to talk. Rhodes's bonus is set for a week after the opening of free agency for a reason. High interest in Rolle and Bethea leading to big deals ups our quote on Rhodes.

You're right. It doesn't make sense to sign him. But it makes sense to talk. Rhodes's bonus is set for a week after the opening of free agency for a reason. High interest in Rolle and Bethea leading to big deals ups our quote on Rhodes.

I love NFL free agency. ****'s more complex than the plot of Godfather II.

ThANK YOU!!!!

Only issue i see is the Vilma value issue. We held Vilma a year too long and it hurt his trade value. had we gotten rid of him a year previous his better producing years would have still been fresh in everyone's mind. Same with Rhodes this year. Jets had a great defensive year and Rhodes' past performance plus the overal jets performance this year would have given him a little pop in trade value. If rhodes doesn't step it up next year that will be 2 years of bad tape out there.

Yup.

Yup, if they dump rhodes or make noise about wanting to ahead of the upcoming draft, that might tip their hand. Is there a top prospect out there in the draft that is reasonable for us to get to replace Rhodes?

Archived