Tannenbaum: "Rhodes will be on team next season" - Star Ledger

True.

But keeping Rhodes is better than trading him for 50 cents on the dollar simply because he's a punk.

He's talented and relatively cheap contract wise.

The Jets won't get better by trading Rhodes. They'll get better by Rhodes playing better.

Agreed. I doubt he is actually worse than average at his position. He isn't a strength on the team at this point with his level of play, but he isn't a huge weakness or hole either. It would be a huge risk to get rid of him and use a high draft pick on a guy just to get back to what we had.

The jets are at one of those times where they don't need a hell of a lot to really make a big run. They are about as stacked as I can ever remember them. I say use FA and the draft to shore up the few holes and depth that we need. You gotta think everyone is going to be coming into camp this year realizing this is the year they have a huge chance to get it done.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the Cormartie trade if we still got a safety who avoids contact like his vagina depends on it. I can forgive a good cover corner a whole lot easier then a safety for being a cupcake but we cant have both. I'm not reading to much into this or anything else an NFL front office member says right now though,

It's my personal preference that Rhodes stays. I think he gets a bum rap from a lot of Jet fans.

Grrr. Besides the fact that he's a rabble-rouser and malcontent who publicly questioned Rex on several occasions this season and had to be prodded into simply speaking with his position coach by having his job taken away, Rhodes is a square peg in this defense. That D wants to press the line of scrimmage and make tackles in the backfield. Rhodes is a center fielder who doesn't like contact. 1. Me-firster 2. Square peg.

I will eat my proverbial hat if Rhodes is here the day after the NFL draft is over. I think if he's not dealt before his bonus comes due, he'll be traded before or during the draft.

Mark my words, slats. MARK. MY. WORDS!

Grrr. Besides the fact that he's a rabble-rouser and malcontent who publicly questioned Rex on several occasions this season and had to be prodded into simply speaking with his position coach by having his job taken away, Rhodes is a square peg in this defense. That D wants to press the line of scrimmage and make tackles in the backfield. Rhodes is a center fielder who doesn't like contact. 1. Me-firster 2. Square peg.

I will eat my proverbial hat if Rhodes is here the day after the NFL draft is over. I think if he's not dealt before his bonus comes due, he'll be traded before or during the draft.

Yeah,

Rhodes on the field I like (he's got skills, just doesn't hit like a truck. HOWEVER most players who hit like a truck are slow, in the box strong safeties. But he needs to be MORE aggresive in COVERAGE)

Rhodes off the field I hate (he's lost more fans from twitter than from any missed tackles)

Yeah,

Rhodes on the field I like (he's got skills, just doesn't hit like a truck. HOWEVER most players who hit like a truck are slow, in the box strong safeties. But he needs to be MORE aggresive in COVERAGE)

Rhodes off the field I hate (he's lost more fans from twitter than from any missed tackles)

So is that why Rhodes holds back? Because if hit like a truck he'd be slower than he already is? That's hard to imagine but maybe it explains why he's out of sorts every 28 days.

Yeah,

Rhodes needs to be more aggressive overall. A FS can pick off 8 balls a year, but if he doesn't hit and doesn't like contact he's a liability. Remember Percy Ellsworth from the Giants? Rhodes is the same exact player.

When are you coming back to Twitter? No more bets, okay?

Listen, I'm seriously on the fence about Rhodes. I get why people don't like him, but I just don't see the Jets doing better by trading him for a 3rd round pick.

Now, if Schein was onto something the other day, and the Cards were serious about Boldin for Rhodes - in other words, that Boldin = Rhodes in their minds - then the trade that just went down for Boldin is very good for the Jets. If the Cards are willing to give the Jets a 3rd & a 4th for Rhodes & a 5th, I think the Jets have to jump at that.

When are you coming back to Twitter? No more bets, okay?

Listen, I'm seriously on the fence about Rhodes. I get why people don't like him, but I just don't see the Jets doing better by trading him for a 3rd round pick.

Now, if Schein was onto something the other day, and the Cards were serious about Boldin for Rhodes - in other words, that Boldin = Rhodes in their minds - then the trade that just went down for Boldin is very good for the Jets. If the Cards are willing to give the Jets a 3rd & a 4th for Rhodes & a 5th, I think the Jets have to jump at that.

The 7th! I had to wait a calendar month after the Super Bowl. I will be annoying the world with marathon tweeting soon enough.

And I totally agree with you about Rhodes and getting value in return for him. As much as he annoys me as a player, I've pretty much maintained that he could be a plus contributor in the right system. In other words, he's worth more elsewhere than he is here.

The best deal is no deal. There's really no reason to trade Rhodes. He's not making a lot of money, he's under 30, and he doesn't suck.

Tannenbaum said that releasing Jones had to do with skill and economics. Those 2 things go against trading Rhodes.

I'm starting to believe all this Rhodes trade stuff was the creating of Cimini and fueled by the fans.

Again, the Jets are not a better team by trading him.

That would depend on what we trade him for.

I'm in favor of Rhodes staying, like the idea to give him 2nd year with Rex/system.

It would not surprise me that the Jets would trade for a non-tackling man to man CB. It would surprise me for them to have two non-tackling DB's and one game Smurf back there. The LBs better hang on for dear life.

Gato was being sarcastic.

80% of his posts are sarcasm. Get used to it.

I wasn't being sarcastic, but thanks for speaking for me.

It would have to be a high 3rd and 5th obviously.

I'm just saying, they DO keep leaving a window for a move open. I think it'd be dumb, but 3rd and 5th would be decent value. If we can grab a Morgan Burnett we'd be able to survive.

Believe me, if we're replacing a safety at starter I'd rather it be Leonhard. He's got too many "intangibles" or something to get rid of though...like his 1 INT last year wasn't a gift (maybe).

Hutchinson is an idiot. Tannenbaum's comments on Rhodes were prefaced by 'unless something changes' just like every other time he's been asked about him this offseason. He didn't say anything more concrete than that.

I like Hutch, but I do think he misrepresented what Tannenbaum said here.

Here

Something how about **** for a DEFENSIVE STARTER--BIG VOID.

uhh... he wasn't really starting towards the end of the year. Even when he "earned" his job back he was still basically splitting time with Eric Smith and that guy whose last name I can't spell.

I remember when this site was started the Jets had a PC around this time of year when the Jets said they have their top 22 players targeted. Some of the names asked about at that PC were Lamont Jordan "he will get more carries this year". Doug Brien "he will be here and so will Reggie McKenzie"...all gone. Whenever this team goes out of it's way to mention a player figure he's a goner

Laughing

Aaaaaaaaaaa Worst things have happened.

recently

You noticed?

I remember when this site was started the Jets had a PC around this time of year when the Jets said they have their top 22 players targeted. Some of the names asked about at that PC were Lamont Jordan "he will get more carries this year". Doug Brien "he will be here and so will Reggie McKenzie"...all gone. Whenever this team goes out of it's way to mention a player figure he's a goner

They mention them because the press asks about guys that have a good chance of leaving. They have been asking about Kerry Rhodes from before mid-season. I'm happy with what Tanny said. He didn't even lie.

You noticed?

They mention them because the press asks about guys that have a good chance of leaving. They have been asking about Kerry Rhodes from before mid-season. I'm happy with what Tanny said. He didn't even lie.

I think Lamont Jordan and McKenzie weren't expected to leave...people just saw what Jordan was capable of and wanted to know if Herm had any plans on utilizing him in 2005-he split for Oakland. On McKenzie the Giants pretty much stole him from us for crazy money....Brien we all knew had to go

Honestly, I was stunned that Tannenbaum even qualified his Rhodes statement with the "Unless something changes..." part. But, every GM has to lie. It's part of the gig.

Archived