If Odrick is there he has to be the pick

RevisIsland24

The defensive line is the most important part of the 3-4 defense, and we need to get younger.

The problem is I doubt Odrick is there are 29.

If that's the case I think the pick will be either a WR or DE/OLB to replace Bryan Thomas/Gholston....

Personally I think Golden Tate would be a nice fit in this offense...

What do y'all think?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
odrick should be long gone by 29... wr is a bigger need than defense. I dont understand why the defense is #1 in the league and most still see them going defense in the first round. the offense needs help!

Because we are very thin on defense right now... Considering we are going to be relying on our defense to win games for us throughout the season...Injuries do happen. Always good to have quality depth.

Also our DLINE needs at least one more reliable player to at least give us a 4 man rotation up front. Right now we have Ellis, Jenks, Pouha, and nobody to play DE. Id say thats a pretty big need.

The JETS should trade down out of the 29 spot and accumulate picks in the second. Just a thought. You get similar value @ 29 that you can get in the early second round.

Yeah, but you see, its not so easy to do, because that knowledge is not only possessed by you. The other guys (the guys with those rd 2 picks) know that too. So unless there's someone on the board worth moving up to draft for, they'd probably rather stay put where they are.

odrick should be long gone by 29... wr is a bigger need than defense. I dont understand why the defense is #1 in the league and most still see them going defense in the first round. the offense needs help!

IMO it has more to do with the Coach. I think that even though we were the #1 Defense last year I still don't feel like we were at an ellite level yet and nowhere close to where Rex wants the D to be.

I hope we go BPA

The JETS should trade down out of the 29 spot and accumulate picks in the second. Just a thought. You get similar value @ 29 that you can get in the early second round.

could not agree more.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

When Jenkins got hurt last year the defense was fine. Does anybody here think the offense would be fine if one our OLinemen got hurt? The Jets have been lucky for two years now in having a healthy OLine. One injury there and everybody is going to wish we drafted Iaputi.

Depth, depth , depth. Having so few draft choices each year we've been unable to add quality young draft picks to back up our aging defense.

When Jenkins got hurt last year the defense was fine. Does anybody here think the offense would be fine if one our OLinemen got hurt? The Jets have been lucky for two years now in having a healthy OLine. One injury there and everybody is going to wish we drafted Iaputi.

That REALLY surprised me. I thought our playoff chances were nil when he went down.

IMO it has more to do with the Coach. I think that even though we were the #1 Defense last year I still don't feel like we were at an ellite level yet and nowhere close to where Rex wants the D to be.

I hope we go BPA

I agree. The Jets are a good defense, not elite. Elite defenses don't get shredded in the AFC Championship game, no matter who the QB is. But take the best guy. I bet it is defense though.

Don't overrate the DL just because everyone played up last year. There could be a million reasons for that, and the one I think is the least realistic is that our DL is loaded with talent. I like DeVito...Pouha's a solid backup NT when he's healthy....after that it's a bunch of maybes and ifs that went undrafted.

The only reason I'm not down for Odrick is that he's from Penn State and he seems more like a 3rd rounder to me. I have no doubt I underrate him a little, but I see nothing special about him. I bet I could like him if we actually did draft him at 29...

First thing you've said in awhile that I agree with. And I hope Odrick is long gone so we don't have a chance with him.

Right now we have Ellis, Jenks, Pouha, and nobody to play DE. Id say thats a pretty big need.

Devito played a bunch. Pitoitua should be ready to step up.

Lets say the Jets draft Odrick. He could be the 6th DL... at best he's 5th DL.

a WR or CB makes more impact on this team in 2010 than a DL or even OLB.

Also our DLINE needs at least one more reliable player to at least give us a 4 man rotation up front. Right now we have Ellis, Jenks, Pouha, and nobody to play DE. Id say thats a pretty big need.

We have DeVito, who's played very well when he's been on the field. Not saying that a solid 3-4 DE shouldn't be a priority, but the depth there is significantly richer than at WR, especially if Douglas comes back.

The Jets have a $50M QB entering his second year. You can't hamper him with David Clowney or Brad Smith as a starter should Edwards or Cotch miss a single game. Be nice to be able to field a respectable 3 WR set, too.

In a perfect world, a DE and WR will present themselves as the BAP when the Jets are on the clock in the first and second round.

In a more perfect world, they'll be able to trade back and collect a 3rd rounder.

Odrick would be nice, I was all about getting an outside skill player for awile, now I'm thinking about getting the best big available, but in the end tany will trade up or down and make all of these threads moot :)

We have DeVito, who's played very well when he's been on the field. Not saying that a solid 3-4 DE shouldn't be a priority, but the depth there is significantly richer than at WR, especially if Douglas comes back.

The Jets have a $50M QB entering his second year. You can't hamper him with David Clowney or Brad Smith as a starter should Edwards or Cotch miss a single game. Be nice to be able to field a respectable 3 WR set, too.

In a perfect world, a DE and WR will present themselves as the BAP when the Jets are on the clock in the first and second round.

In a more perfect world, they'll be able to trade back and collect a 3rd rounder.

My thoughts exactly, we ranked 8th in run defense. we ranked DEAD LAST in the passing game. An upgrade to the receiving core would be nice.

I don't mind a defensive pick, but there's not much higher that you can go with the #1 defense, whereas the two SB teams of last year were both high powered offenses, and both beat the Jets because the Jets offense could not put up points. Actually the Colts also abused the Jets #1 ranked D as well, which should show you the limits of a great D but no offense. The Colts also showed that to the Ravens iirc, probably the other top defense in the league with a lacking offense.

I'm always all for a line pick, both offense and defense, especially picking this late in the 1st round. When you pick higher you really need to go for skill position guys, but we have a bunch of those guys anyway. When you pick later, you get to pick up these trench guys, and that's a big reason why top teams can stay competitive year in and year out. So if we go D-line 1st round and O-line 2nd round I'm actually pretty happy about that, even though most people will say the lines aren't the weakness, I'm of the opinion you can never have too much depth for that.

The Jets will need to address the WR position via trade/FA or later draft pick and hope for someone to step up. I'm not a fan of 1st round WRs because usually that means you are fundamentally flawed in other parts of your team, and they usually take 3 years to develop. You can usually pick up a 1st round WR that has flamed out with their original team in FA, and then they break out for you. Braylon still has that potential, despite his dropitis. But looking on the market, you saw guys like Boldin move, and Marshall is moving if he didn't already. There'll be more guys, WR has the most volatility of any position, with emerging players every year. I bet the Jets can trade for Berrian or something for cheap. It's a buy low position.

The Jets will need to address the WR position via trade/FA or later draft pick and hope for someone to step up. I'm not a fan of 1st round WRs because usually that means you are fundamentally flawed in other parts of your team, and they usually take 3 years to develop. You can usually pick up a 1st round WR that has flamed out with their original team in FA, and then they break out for you. Braylon still has that potential, despite his dropitis. But looking on the market, you saw guys like Boldin move, and Marshall is moving if he didn't already. There'll be more guys, WR has the most volatility of any position, with emerging players every year. I bet the Jets can trade for Berrian or something for cheap. It's a buy low position.

If a first round WR flamed out with another team, why would we want him?

And if he broke out big time, he'll break the bank as a UFA - like Braylon Edwards will be looking to do next year.

The end of the first round is BAP territory. You don't focus on any specific position because you're there, you just grab the best player that fits your team.

The Jets have to draft a WR this year. There's no certainty with Edwards beyond 2010, and they have absolutely no depth. They need to have a talent developing at the position. If they get luck enough to find an NFL ready prospect, all the better. Harvin wasn't the only solid rookie WR last year. They happen.

Unfortunately that isn't as easy as turning on a light switch. You have to find someone willing to trade up into the end of the 1st round AND get good value. The key here is getting good value. Remember it wasn't too long ago that the Jets tried to trade back into the 1st round and weren't successfull.

I'm all for drafting a WR, but unless its Tate, we ought to wait until the later rounds. The WR prospects in this year's draft are getting pushed down the draft boards thanks to slow 40 times, and its not like we need a burner anyways. Jordan Shipley is my ideal pick, and he'll be available probably in the 3rd round.

Personally, I don't think we're done at CB, and wouldn't mind seeing us go there in round 1. After Revis and Cromartie, all we have are a bunch of guys who any decent passing offense can toast.

I'm all for drafting a WR, but unless its Tate, we ought to wait until the later rounds. The WR prospects in this year's draft are getting pushed down the draft boards thanks to slow 40 times, and its not like we need a burner anyways. Jordan Shipley is my ideal pick, and he'll be available probably in the 3rd round.

Personally, I don't think we're done at CB, and wouldn't mind seeing us go there in round 1. After Revis and Cromartie, all we have are a bunch of guys who any decent passing offense can toast.

Agree with you on WR, but we also need a S since Poole is injury prone, and desperately need another DE. I'd like to see these addressed before adding another CB.

Agree with you on WR, but we also need a S since Poole is injury prone, and desperately need another DE. I'd like to see these addressed before adding another CB.

Safety has always been and remains a luxury pick. If Pool gets hurt, we have Eric Smith and James Ihedigbo behind him. Other than maybe using a late-round pick on a safety, I think we've done all we needed to do to address the position by trading away Rhodes and replacing him with Pool.

Safety has always been and remains a luxury pick. If Pool gets hurt, we have Eric Smith and James Ihedigbo behind him. Other than maybe using a late-round pick on a safety, I think we've done all we needed to do to address the position by trading away Rhodes and replacing him with Pool.

I don't like Ihedigbo one bit. Too many bad plays for my liking. Look at the damage caused by Carrie last season. Pool goes down and that's what will happen.I'd like to see a Safety taken no later than the 3rd.

DE to me is the biggest need. Can't stand the thought if Ellis misses any time at all at this point, let alone who the other starter will be.

I don't like Ihedigbo one bit. Too many bad plays for my liking. Look at the damage caused by Carrie last season. Pool goes down and that's what will happen.I'd like to see a Safety taken no later than the 3rd.

DE to me is the biggest need. Can't stand the thought if Ellis misses any time at all at this point, let alone who the other starter will be.

de is even a bigger need than a pass rushing linebacker? heres my order of need. 1. pass rushing olb 2. wide receiver 3. run stuffing d end 4. safety

My thoughts exactly, we ranked 8th in run defense. we ranked DEAD LAST in the passing game. An upgrade to the receiving core would be nice.

Has the idea occured that we were dead last in the passing game due to a rookie QB and a mid-season WR change...mostly a rookie QB? The passing game looked fine in the playoffs to me.

Cody and possibly another DL like Wooton or Carrington 2010. Oghobaase would be acceptable later, and Kendrick Lewis or Kam Chancellor in the 4th works just fine for me at safety. I'm not confident in Pool lasting.

Has the idea occured that we were dead last in the passing game due to a rookie QB and a mid-season WR change...mostly a rookie QB? The passing game looked fine in the playoffs to me.

Cody and possibly another DL like Wooton or Carrington 2010. Oghobaase would be acceptable later, and Kendrick Lewis or Kam Chancellor in the 4th works just fine for me at safety. I'm not confident in Pool lasting.

I'm okay selecting a DL in the first round, if it is warranted. Drafting Cody I am extremely against. Lazy tubs of goo need not apply.

A huge part of the reason we were dead last in passing was that we attempted the fewest passes in the league. If the Jets open up the offense a little and Sanchez improves his completion percentage a bit the Jets should jump up to the middle of the pack no problem.

All we need to do is throw 5-6 more times per game.

de is even a bigger need than a pass rushing linebacker? heres my order of need. 1. pass rushing olb 2. wide receiver 3. run stuffing d end 4. safety

The Jets had the #1 defense in the NFL last year, the #1 pass defense. I think we all agree that they've already upgraded at CB this offseason. The ability to play teams' #1 & 2 WR's in man coverage all day long is going to work wonders for the Jets' pass rush - which was already part of the league's #1 passing defense! A pass rushing OLB would be a luxury, it's far from a "need."

Plus, these "pass rushing OLB's" are tough to draft. They're almost all converted college DE's, and they take time to develop, too. Rather than taking one early and trying to develop him (re: Gholston), it's a good position to address in the middle rounds.

I'd be looking for that 3-4 DE early, because Ellis is getting up there in age, and we have no depth. It's a rare place on the Jets roster where they could could be looking to draft a starter.

We don't have the age issue at WR, but we do have Braylon Edwards working on a one year deal. He's no lock to be with the team beyond 2010. We definitely have the depth issue, as the Jets cannot field a respectable 3 WR set right now, and would have to turn to David Clowney to start if Cotch or Edwards got hurt for any period of time. Again - they went way out of their way to draft & pay a young franchise QB, they really need to provide him with the tools he needs to succeed.

As of right now, the Jets don't have a 3rd round pick. Waiting until the end of the 4th to take a WR is waiting way too long. They really need a WR who can contribute as a rookie. I want them to go BAP, but they have to tailor their board to genuine needs at DE and WR. They really have to look to get those positions addressed in the first two rounds if they can.

Archived