Official JN Schottenheimer Discussion Thread

Irish Jet

Schotty play could cost Jets OC his job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Johnette Howard

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The franchise quarterback was in danger of being benched, the offensive line allowed six sacks Sunday, the underperforming three starting wideouts and tight end are the best combination of weapons the New York Jets have had in at least a decade, and the running back combination of LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene should be good enough to get things done, if used as a tag team.

All of which makes you wonder if Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer isn't working to keep his job these last three weeks of the regular season if the team's offense doesn't turn around soon.

The Jets' two-game losing streak -- a 45-3 meltdown against New England, and now the slapstick offense they ran in the rain during their 10-6 loss to division-rival Miami on Sunday -- isn't the only reason that Schottenheimer should be on notice with the Jets staring at a season-closing stretch of games that takes them to Pittsburgh and Chicago the next two weeks to play two of the best, most physically punishing defenses in the league.

What's been more disturbing is the way the overall season has taken shape.

Brian Schottenheimer better shape up the offense -- or he might be shipped out of New York.

When Rex Ryan ticked off all that's wrong with the Jets' offense right now, he mentioned quarterback Mark Sanchez, the offensive line, the wideouts, the running game and the overall execution of plays.

"Other than that, we're fine," Ryan said. And for once, he wasn't joking.

The mood at the Jets' complex was funereal on Monday. Not defiant, not indomitable.

"I think we're confident, but you know, we're not blind either," Ryan said. "We see the tape, and we can't beat a good football team if we play like that. The defense had a terrific game [sunday], but offensively, you're not going to beat anybody if you make the kind of mistakes we made.

"I look at it and, I mean, we have the talent to play better. I know we do. We have the talent on our coaching staff to get this thing taught better."

Ryan eventually said Schottenheimer "does a heckuva job" when asked directly about his offensive coordinator's job performance. But it felt like lip service.

Ryan was concerned enough about the offense to sit down Monday and look at tape of the running game. He had to see for himself why Miami's tacklers were "running free" to tackle the Jets' running backs, who averaged only 2.8 yards a try. For weeks now, he's held Friday meetings with Sanchez and Schottenheimer, chiming in on what he sees.

The hard truth lately isn't pretty. The Jets haven't scored a touchdown in any of their four losses this year. Even in some of the games they've won, they haven't moved the ball well. Turnovers have been a problem. They haven't had a touchdown drive in the opening quarter for nine straight games, and they've often relied on last-minute offensive miracles to escape. Still, their pat answer -- even Monday -- is it's all fixable.

A fix any time now would be good.

It's impossible to contend anymore that the New England loss didn't shake this Jets team to its core. They had a chance to make a statement against Miami on Sunday. Instead, Ryan admittedly thought of benching Sanchez during his scatter-shot 17-for-44 performance. And when the Jets' offensive players dragged themselves into the locker room, it was disturbing to hear the words they chose to describe what had happened:

"A huge shock," said veteran guard Brandon Moore.

"Confusing," said Dustin Keller.

"Horrible," said center Nick Mangold.

Sanchez felt things were dire enough to address the offense as a whole Monday, and urge everyone to "lean on each other."

Even 13 games into this season, it's still hard to say what the Jets' offense is -- beyond simply talented. They say they want to be an all-weather, ground-and-pound team. But they're not. On Sunday, they ran a doomed Wildcat option play instead on fourth-and-2 and threw the ball nearly 50 times in a rain-slicked game in which they needed only a touchdown to tie or win right down to their last play. They say they have weapons at every skill position, but they haven't been able to integrate or exploit them all in any consistently effective way.

A lot of that has to fall on Schottenheimer, not just his second-year quarterback.

Ryan would never admit Schottenheimer -- a holdover from the Eric Mangini regime, remember -- is in jeopardy. Not with so much left to play for this season. But the cries that Schottenheimer's play-calling is too predictable won't go away when the Jets go out and run the ball on 19 of their 26 first-down plays Sunday. And Ryan admitted Monday that telling Sanchez to spike the ball and waste a down with more than a minute still left against Miami was bad time management.

Schottenheimer's close relationship with Sanchez will certainly help him in any eventual deliberations about whether he stays or goes.

But this is the hard truth too: The Jets' franchise has hitched itself to Sanchez. This team goes as Sanchez goes. His development is the most important on-field issue the team has.

If Sanchez keeps regressing like he has the past few weeks -- earning what Ryan called "a blunt force trauma" evaluation from him Monday -- even the perception that Sanchez's development has stalled could get Schottenheimer fired.

"Could get fired" hasn't turned to "should get fired." Yet.

But it's fair to start wondering.

The Steelers aren't the sort of team you expect any offense to get fat and happy against. Especially in Pittsburgh. The Steelers' blitzes are relentless. Their defenders hit like they want to see opponents' molars skittering across the turf.

Considering the Dolphins left town with three or four players openly mocking the Jets' toughness -- "We're not going to call them front-runners," Miami wideout Brandon Marshall said, "but we noticed that when you get out and score fast, hit them in the mouth fast, they tend to be the ones getting off the ground second" -- how might the Steelers try to beat up the Jets? And then the Bears in Chicago after that?

It could get ugly for Sanchez and the Jets' offense before it gets better.

Schottenheimer better hope not.

For his own sake.

This should be interesting.....

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ryan was concerned enough about the offense to sit down Monday and look at tape of the running game. He had to see for himself why Miami's tacklers were "running free" to tackle the Jets' running backs, who averaged only 2.8 yards a try. For weeks now, he's held Friday meetings with Sanchez and Schottenheimer, chiming in on what he sees.

2 things:

Rex should have been looking at tape of what HIS offense does week in and week out from the beginning. He clearly hasn't stepped all the way into his full realm of responsibilities yet. Leaning on his pedigree in defense and trusting the offense to a relatively unproven youngster. Bad form.

I can't believe that for the 2nd straight year this offense is sh*tting the bed, and it has taken Rex this long to interject himself.

Why would you be?

What's the over/under on the # of Schotty threads for this week? We gotta be around 15-20 by now...

What are the odds that you are behind every other post in each of the 317 Schotty threads started on Sunday? You love it... dirty, dirty whore.

Has the thought crossed your mind, it may be Sanchez not Schott?

On the one hand, it's irrelevant. It's Schottenweasel's job to figure out how to make Sanchez effective. On the other hand, why is it everybody's fault but Schottenheimer's? First, it was Chad, then it was Clemens, now it's Sanchez. How many QB's do you want to give him? Is he only a good OC if he gets to coach Peyton Manning? Tough noogies.

If Sanchez stays bad, Schotty's gone. If Sanchez turns it around, Schotty's back. Simple as that, IMO. He's been handed the Golden Goose. He better not f^ck it.

Probably. Its truly ashame.

I feel bad for Rex because I really like him a lot. But he's married to his own worst enemies right now. I just hope he can fix it so they dont run him out of town.

Schotty might not be the main problem, he may be the scapegoat but someone's got to be the fall guy and his name is on the product. Especially considering his coach gives him complete control with an offense this loaded.

If the offense doesnt turn it around, Schitty is gone. Rex doesnt really have a choice. Everyone wants to talk about firing him now, there's no reason to. I do think you should take play calling duties from him. But lets be honest, everyone that is involved with the offense is examining the mistakes and nothing is happening. My point is, the solution might not be on this team. You cant bring in a new OC right now. Firing him serves no purpose.

On the one hand, it's irrelevant. It's Schottenweasel's job to figure out how to make Sanchez effective. On the other hand, why is it everybody's fault but Schottenheimer's? First, it was Chad, then it was Clemens, now it's Sanchez. How many QB's do you want to give him? Is he only a good OC if he gets to coach Peyton Manning? Tough noogies.

Sorry you cant make lemonade out of oranges, Pennington has no arm to play in Meadowlands and Clemens is garbage, even mangini preferred to get Ratliff in trade over KC.

Not saying it is Sanchez, but if the new OC next year doesnt improve him, this franchise will be set back 5 years. Steeler fans complain all the time about Arians and yet they are 10-3 and went 3-1 w/o Ben.

Probably. Its truly ashame.

I feel bad for Rex because I really like him a lot. But he's married to his own worst enemies right now. I just hope he can fix it so they dont run him out of town.

Schotty might not be the main problem, he may be the scapegoat but someone's got to be the fall guy and his name is on the product. Especially considering his coach gives him complete control with an offense this loaded.

If the offense doesnt turn it around, Schitty is gone. Rex doesnt really have a choice. Everyone wants to talk about firing him now, there's no reason to. I do think you should take play calling duties from him. But lets be honest, everyone that is involved with the offense is examining the mistakes and nothing is happening. My point is, the solution might not be on this team. You cant bring in a new OC right now. Firing him serves no purpose.

It's gotta be scary for Rex. You'd really have to wonder if he has enough autonomy to really bench Sanchez if he needs to, considering what that would do to both Sanchez and the image of the Jets franchise. If worse came to worst for Sanchez against the Steelers (say, three turnovers in the first half), do you think Rex would pull the trigger?

Sorry you cant make lemonade out of oranges, Pennington has no arm to play in Meadowlands and Clemens is garbage, even mangini preferred to get Ratliff in trade over KC.

Not saying it is Sanchez, but if the new OC next year doesnt improve him, this franchise will be set back 5 years. Steeler fans complain all the time about Arians and yet they are 10-3 and went 3-1 w/o Ben.

It very well may be Sanchez, bro. But what are you gonna do--wait around and hope Schottenheimer's five years of medicore offenses are aberrational? Are you going to give up on Sanchez and hand Schottenheimer yet another highly drafted QB in the hopes that the first two just sucked?

YEEEEEEES! Another Schotty thread! HIS RELEASE IS IMMINENT!!111

When he (Brian The Bungler) finally gets what he deserves, will you go with him and post where he ends up? They probably have message boards for JuCo teams ... the better ones anyway.

It very well may be Sanchez, bro. But what are you gonna do--wait around and hope Schottenheimer's five years of medicore offenses are aberrational? Are you going to give up on Sanchez and hand Schottenheimer yet another highly drafted QB in the hopes that the first two just sucked?

It is why the jets must fire Schott to determine if they have a real QB or not. I am hoping that Jets made right choice of QB in draft. The other guys look like studs to me.

It is why the jets must fire Schott to determine if they have a real QB or not. I am hoping that Jets made right choice of QB in draft. The other guys look like studs to me.

Definitely, bro. If Sanchez isn't the goods, we're porked. I think if Sanchez continues to be up and down, it will be interesting to see what the Jets do in the off-season at back-up QB. Do they try and shoehorn Kevin O'Connell into the #2 spot? Or do they get sneaky and try to sign a veteran who could actually take the reigns if Sanchez doesn't drastically improve? One thing's for sure--Rex can't go into Year 3 of his program wishing and hoping that Sanchez figures it out, if he hasn't done so already by the end of this year.

Definitely, bro. If Sanchez isn't the goods, we're porked. I think if Sanchez continues to be up and down, it will be interesting to see what the Jets do in the off-season at back-up QB. Do they try and shoehorn Kevin O'Connell into the #2 spot? Or do they get sneaky and try to sign a veteran who could actually take the reigns if Sanchez doesn't drastically improve? One thing's for sure--Rex can't go into Year 3 of his program wishing and hoping that Sanchez figures it out, if he hasn't done so already by the end of this year.

Your the Tanny lover right?, This could be O'brien vs Marino all over again, I find it funny the New Marino may also be in Florida. Wouldnt that be a kick in the a$$.

To make the same mistake twice.

Gee Oscar...why're you such a grouch?

I didn't say and not post here ... if you could simply share your praises for Marty's boy where ever it is he ends up it would tidy things up here a bit. You know, like Tubby says "housekeeping"

Your the Tanny lover right?, This could be O'brien vs Marino all over again, I find it funny the New Marino may also be in Florida. Wouldnt that be a kick in the a$$.

To make the same mistake twice.

Who exactly are you calling "the new Marino"? Freeman? He is playing well, but in no way should he be compared to marino.

Which begs the question, why the **** is Brunell #2. Either the staff hates the bejesus out of Clemens or Brunell was promised the backup spot if he signed here. Might be both.

Its more likely that Rex convinced himself that Brunell is better than he actually is... Rex has a tendency to do that with players.

Archived