Manners....

gg

People always seem surprised when i hold the door for them..

frankly it continues to surprise me that people will just let a door close in a persons face..

sigh..

it is just disturbing that people dont care about basic good manners...

really.

OY!

:confused0085:

:animal0028:

its the world today. no one cares about anyone else. I almost always hold the door for the person behind me. and i have a tendancy to wait too long, like when the person is far away.

lol, me too

then there's the awkward, "the door opens out, and I get there first, but only by a few steps, do I go first, make the person wait but hold the door for them or wait a sec and let the person hold it open for me?" dilemma

You know always happens to me? I am kinda too far in front of the person behind me but I don't want to be a dick so I hold the door anyway and either the person has to speed up (cause they probably feel like they don't want to be a dick because I was nice enough to hold the door) or I am just holding it for like 2 hours until they get there. I don't get annoyed by this fact but I'm always just unsure if I should hold the door for someone that far away. Usually I do anyway.

I can't stand when you let someone go ahead of you, hold a door open, etc., and then they don't acknowledge the good deed you did, as if they're better than you.

Like when you're at a stop sign and you give the little hand movement to have him go first, and then they just don't acknowledge it. It pisses me off! Just wave your hand. That's all I ask!

Just yesterday I held the door for a woman at the store. She walked right in without saying a word. I got a dirty look when I loudly said, "You're welcome!"

This happens to me all the time, and I say the exact same thing.

Chivalry is dead and women killed it.

Just yesterday I held the door for a woman at the store. She walked right in without saying a word. I got a dirty look when I loudly said, "You're welcome!"

You're confusing your stories. I said thank you when you held the door but not when you gave me that weak reach around. Give me some white knuckle next time, your ****'s getting old Thor.

I can't stand when you let someone go ahead of you, hold a door open, etc., and then they don't acknowledge the good deed you did, as if they're better than you.

That and when you simply say Hello to someone and they walk right by you -- I mean even a slight nod is cool with me but to blow right by you is kinda rude --

I have excellent manners. Was in Starbucks last night with the kids, and my 17-year old daughter asks, "May I please have... "

I just quietly acknowledged that I raised my kids correctly.

Great album, just saw them live at Governor's Island and wasn't disappointed.

/random post that no one gives a crap about

How is Governor's Island? Cool venue? Any shade if you're there during the day? How's the ride over? Is it a hassle?

There's a free She & Him show there on the 4th that I was thinking about attending, but between the heat and the hassle, I haven't decided if it's worth it yet.

/hijack

holding doors can be a tricky proposition.

if you are holding the door for someone who is 10 or 15 feet away they have to awkwardly hurry so that you aren't holding it for ever.

a man holding for a woman can bring back all these feminist hard feelings... as does the opposite, a man not holding for a woman invites "how rude" and "is chivalry dead?" comments

in short i'll do it but only if it's super convenient. For example everyone is getting off the train and there's a door to the stairwell, everyone goes through the door, every other person thru holds for a second. if you make an effort it invites dissent.

There is nothing in this world that pisses me off more than a person who doesn't say thank you when you hold open a door for them. It's without question my #1 pet peeve and I'm in the firm belief that these people should be shot. No judge, no jury, just an instant death sentence on the spot.

if you are holding the door for someone who is 10 or 15 feet away they have to awkwardly hurry so that you aren't holding it for ever.

a man holding for a woman can bring back all these feminist hard feelings... as does the opposite, a man not holding for a woman invites "how rude" and "is chivalry dead?" comments

in short i'll do it but only if it's super convenient. For example everyone is getting off the train and there's a door to the stairwell, everyone goes through the door, every other person thru holds for a second. if you make an effort it invites dissent.

funny because some men wont let me hold the door for them.. even if i am holding it for someone else... they will either put their arm out if they are coming from the opposite direction to let me thru.. OR if i am holding for others.. they will come behind me grab the door and insist i go thru. :D

and oh yes.. if i have the person doing the "hurry up" i joyfully tell them to take their time.. i have all the time in the world.. and then smile . :)

Srsly? Some women go all "feminist" on men who hold a door open for them? I've never seen it. I do confess to the opposite though. I see a man who does NOT hold the door for a woman, I immediately label him a supreme douche-bag.

frankly it continues to surprise me that people will just let a door close in a persons face..

sigh..

really.

OY!

I must say that I haven't run into that much out here. Oh once in a while yes but generally people are not rude like that.

sigh..

really.

OY!

Haven't seen this much. People down here generally hold the door open for others, and the others thank them, often with a smile.

I don't see the rudeness I used to get when I lived in CT and MA. (I know it's a generalization but I really did see a difference in friendliness when I moved down here.)

Just spent 3 days in Jersey City and NYC, and no one held doors for anyone. Not much manners all around but maybe it's just the "big city" way. ;)

Haven't seen this much. People down here generally hold the door open for others, and the others thank them, often with a smile.

I don't see the rudeness I used to get when I lived in CT and MA. (I know it's a generalization but I really did see a difference in friendliness when I moved down here.)

Just spent 3 days in Jersey City and NYC, and no one held doors for anyone. Not much manners all around but maybe it's just the "big city" way. ;)

This. last year I vacationed in South Dakota. As soon as we made our way westward of PA, I noticed a HUGE difference in friendliness.

A stranger said "Hello, how are you?" as I was walking out of a CircleK and I had to look around to see if there was anyone standing near me. There was not.

This. last year I vacationed in South Dakota. As soon as we made our way westward of PA, I noticed a HUGE difference in friendliness.

A stranger said "Hello, how are you?" as I was walking out of a CircleK and I had to look around to see if there was anyone standing near me. There was not.

I've noticed the same out west too( especially Wyoming )EXCEPT for Utah. Been to Utah 4 times and those people, from my experience, are just plain pricks. People down South are VERY friendly and polite.

I must say that I haven't run into that much out here. Oh once in a while yes but generally people are not rude like that.

hey! i was spat at and called names your way .. of course that might have been cause i was wearing a Jets jersey ;)

i have atually heard that about the south.. it has been awhile since i spent concentrated time in the south other then Miami area ( NYC south) :D

hey! i was spat at and called names your way .. of course that might have been cause i was wearing a Jets jersey ;)

i have atually heard that about the south.. it has been awhile since i spent concentrated time in the south other then Miami area ( NYC south) :D

LOL THAT'S a different story Nay and the reason I will no longer spend my money to support their team. Too many drunken bums for my tastes.

Archived