The Official Jets On Hard Knocks Thread

Maxman

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex and Pettine discussing their backup DB's...

"Boy, our backups are playing like sh*t," Ryan said over his headset to defensive coordinator Mike Pettine late in the game.

Pettine's response: "The disappointing part is there are some guys in that group that are going to be playing for us."

A Patriots Fans' Review of Jets Hard Knocks Episode 2: The Fattening (or as I like to call it: Jealous Much?-SFJ)

by MikeDussault on Aug 19, 2010 1:10 AM EDT

59 cents for ranch sauce!? Are you kidding me!?

If you're in anyway feeling a little bit worried about the New York Jets I highly recommend you check out the epic second episode that culminates in Rex Ryan calling out his second team defense. It will put your nerves to rest.

The Jets new image has been carefully crafted by Rex Ryan from the start to be the big scary bully who's gonna beat you down and laugh while he's doing it. The entire NFL universe has collectively fallen for it. Pundits are picking them to win the AFC and even the Super Bowl, but as we get a better look inside the inner workings of this football franchise you see the cracks in their projected image.

I was left after this episode thinking I will be surprised if they beat the Patriots once this year. And I don't think either game will be close.

Episode one was just a small glimpse, my review of episode two after the jump...

Yesterday you heard Tom Brady talk about why he's so intense on every snap of practice. Tonight we saw Mark Sanchez talk about how much he loves orange candies, or get annoyed for having to pay an extra 59 cents for ranch sauce with his pizza, or most telling, act like a guilty fifth grader every time he gets constructive criticism.

And it's not just Sanchez, who seems like your average immature football dick, it's the whole team who leaves you feeling like this whole big mystery that is the 2010 New York Jets really could be combustible.

As my Patriots Princess said "it's like the whole team is just f'ing around," as she watched Kris Jenkins laughing his a$$ off as he drove by slo-mo in a golf cart.

And it wasn't just the day their punter had a hundred Shake Weights arrive at camp. Let me tell you, there's nothing more entertaining than watching LT2 look like he's giving himself a pearl necklace, front and back.

The show opened with the sentiment that practices have not been going well. Sanchez has struggled. Marty Schottenheimer called him sloppy. Even more telling was Marty's quote about second year quarterbacks.

"If you can get them back to the same level, you made progress".

Sanchez clearly wanted to get working on matching those 20 interceptions of 2009 by throwing one with his first pass of the preseason. Luckily Mark Brunell was there to remind him the games don't count yet.

Someone else whose head is spinning is Joe McKnight's. Joe is lost in a sea of confusion and it doesn't look like he's ever going to find shore. What is it with USC guys not being able to take criticism? Oh right, Pete Carroll.

Santonio Holmes implored Joe to ask the veterans for help, a good move by a Super Bowl winner who was acting like a one of the few real leaders there. But as the game results would confirm, McKnight is struggling. If Shonn Greene goes down for any length of time this team's "vaunted" running attack will be in trouble.

While Kyle Wilson is looking solid, Antonio Cromartie is having trouble just keeping track of his eight kids, five of whom are three. 2007 wasn't just a good year on the field for Al-Cro-traz.

The Jets coaches are begging Cromartie to play with an edge more consistently. But what can you do, some guys are just too scared to go down a water slide (finally his "wife" pushed him down it).

In Vernon Gholston news, the coaching staff decided to orchestrate a fight to try and bring the animal out in Big Vern. It was marginally succesful. Despite Rex Ryan's proclamations it looks like Gholston is still just barely making progress. I should point out that he took a voluntary contract reduction this year, which you have to respect. Unfortunately for Vern he might really need that money in about six months.

Everyone continues to call John Conner "The Terminator", which I've kind of accepted because you know at some point in the butchering of that once proud franchise they'll have one where John Conner actually is a Terminator. Whatever you call him he looks like a load, and I look forward to seeing Brandon Spikes and Jerod Mayo take him on.

Overall it's hard not to feel that no matter how much of it is editing, the loosie goosie moments that are happening at Jets camp are not happening anywhere near Patriots camp. To my biased eyes the Patriots look like a team of men, locked in on football. The Jets look caught up in their own hype. And someone better tell Rex if he doesn't stop jamming the handfuls of M&Ms down his gullet his lapband's going to need a lapband.

I already can't wait for episode three, my predicted "Return of Revis" episode. We'll see..

My mind was blown by the complete lack of cursing on the show tonight. What kind of faggotry is that? Because some douche started whining?

They lost a viewer. F*ckin reality TV and it's bs...

Dungy will get his in the end. Having his kid off himself while he was busy being classy and losing playoff games wasn't enough to get through that oddly-shaped skull, fine. Let's see what kind of book advance you get after you get busted trolling for ZJs in an airport men's room, you smug prude.

Rex blew a golden opportunity by going with the sob sister routine, though. Here's your retort: 'Tony Dungy said he wouldn't hire me? Considering how many interviews I did before I got this gig I'd say he's hardly alone there.' Cracks up the press room, marginalizes Dungy, and puts everybody's attention right back on the thank-you card for Bisciotti's shortsightedness that we're going to carve into Flacco's forehead in three weeks.

Dungy will get his in the end. Having his kid off himself while he was busy being classy and losing playoff games wasn't enough to get through that oddly-shaped skull, fine. Let's see what kind of book advance you get after you get busted trolling for ZJs in an airport men's room, you smug prude.

Rex blew a golden opportunity by going with the sob sister routine, though. Here's your retort: 'Tony Dungy said he wouldn't hire me? Considering how many interviews I did before I got this gig I'd say he's hardly alone there.' Cracks up the press room, marginalizes Dungy, and puts everybody's attention right back on the thank-you card for Bisciotti's shortsightedness that we're going to carve into Flacco's forehead in three weeks.

Hunter S Thompson couldn't have put it better himself

they should psquad him. No one's gonna pick up joe mcknight after his spring and summer. the dude is a mess.

I agree Matt-some guy last night on Twitter was saying somebody would claim him and I said yea WHO? The guy pretty much sucks-I want to see what Chauncey Washington looks like-from the videos I've seen he has more the good Thomas Jones running style that the Jets need-McKnight has the BAD TJ tiptoe-ing up to the line while going down after first contact style we all came to hate

I agree Matt-some guy last night on Twitter was saying somebody would claim him and I said yea WHO? The guy pretty much sucks-I want to see what Chauncey Washington looks like-from the videos I've seen he has more the good Thomas Jones running style that the Jets need-McKnight has the BAD TJ tiptoe-ing up to the line while going down after first contact style we all came to hate

Exactly.

But at least the Dancing Bear was a true leader.

On the positive side, I really like Kyle Wilson.

Humble, hard worker and flowing dreads. Is there a better combination?

I smell a new jersey purchase.

he IS an impressive kid DJ38-we still need Revis though-keep The Three Stooges (Lowery, Coleman, and Cole) off the field as much as possible

Little early to be talking about getting rid of McKnight.

Sometimes a rookie RB "dancing" is just a sign that their mind isn't working faster than their bodies... in other words, he's a rookie and needs more time to learn the system and speed of the game.

i have to say i actually like sanchez a little less after watching yesterdays episode. he's got alot of maturing to do.

People forget that he's still a kid. He's only 23. When I was 23, I was smoking a pound of pot a day and couldn't be trusted with a broom.

I definitely agree that some of those scenes are telling, though. He knows he moped around after picks last year, and he's trying to work thru it, but that's obviously still his inclination. He gets down emotionally when he makes a mistake. Everyone around him knows it, too, and it was good to see coaches and players alike telling him to forget it and move on. He'll get it. He's fiercely competitive and hates to lose. That's the source of that emotion. He needs to learn to channel it positively. That will come.

This, and Bart Scott's line about McKnight taking a paycut to play for the Jets were the two best moments of the show.

That was great. It took me a half second to get that one, and I thought did he really just say that? Funny stuff.

The segment with Cromartie trying to name his kids was painful. I never had five in the same year, though, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

People forget that he's still a kid. He's only 23. When I was 23, I was smoking a pound of pot a day and couldn't be trusted with a broom.

I definitely agree that some of those scenes are telling, though. He knows he moped around after picks last year, and he's trying to work thru it, but that's obviously still his inclination. He gets down emotionally when he makes a mistake. Everyone around him knows it, too, and it was good to see coaches and players alike telling him to forget it and move on. He'll get it. He's fiercely competitive and hates to lose. That's the source of that emotion. He needs to learn to channel it positively. That will come.

That was great. It took me a half second to get that one, and I thought did he really just say that? Funny stuff.

The segment with Cromartie trying to name his kids was painful. I never had five in the same year, though, so maybe I shouldn't judge.

Okay, we got the reason why you were ****ed up at 23...what's his excuse? He just seems like his brain is a trampoline instead of a sponge...no way he makes a 360 in preseason.

My thoughts from last nights episode.

I dont know if mommy or Dungy got to Rex, but he wasnt nearly as animated.

McKnight is exactly the type of player/person I envisioned, a little bitch, who's not cut out for the NFL. He should make the roster, Danny Woodhead brings more to the table than McKnight. He's not impressive at all. Total waste of a pick, IMO.

Gholston...Rex was pumping him up. Loved the staged fight. ******* awesome!!! Let see if it actually equates, definitely didnt see anything that would indicate that from the preseason game, but how bout Gholston leading the SB huddle at the end of practice, found that interesting.

Sanchez is definitely a likeable guy...though I didnt like his little pouting routine he did when Cavanough was trying to tell him to man up.

Pretty clear Bart Scott is the leader of this defense.

We have really good WR's. Really good.

Really liking Kyle Wilson, completely different than I thought he would be. Thought he would be a Diva type and he seems far from it.

Cro is kind of a weird dude. Really hope this coaching staff can get his head straight. I knew they were going to show that play from the playoffs...guaranteed he sees that a lot. lol

Love the Mangold vs. Big Jenk battles. Probably my favorite part of the show.

Gotta love Westhoff...sounds like Eric Smith is going to be our new Wallace Wright.

I dont know who the Jets are fooling w/ Brunnell. He sucks. Make him a coach and save a roster spot. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Wont lie, pretty pissed that they havent had a part on Ellis yet. Guy is the longest tenured Jets player...show him love.

Dont know if Tanny is being genuine throughout this show, but he is surely making the Revis camp look like a bunch of buffoons.

1) Bart's wit is off the charts. Networks are going to be throwing big bucks at him once his days in green are over.

2) I was actually surprised that Cro remembered all of his kids. I was bracing for the chance that he might forget one.

University

of

Spoiled

Children

Okay, we got the reason why you were ****ed up at 23...what's his excuse? He just seems like his brain is a trampoline instead of a sponge...no way he makes a 360 in preseason.

He's a kid.

He's doing pretty well for a kid. He's cocky. He's had a lot of success and expects to do well in the future. He wants to get to the next level yesterday. All of these are good traits, it's just that he needs to focus thru the negative emotion when it comes. I don't see the brain like a trampoline thing. I don't see him shutting out his coaches (no one was complaining about him after the first episode), and he's obviously listening to Brunell. He's singled out veterans like Mangold and TRich specifically as guys who've helped him out a lot.

I don't get the harsh criticism. He's getting better, he's gets cockier, he makes a mistake, he gets down. He just needs to smooth out that roller coaster. That will come with age and experience.

I don't see him shutting out his coaches (no one was complaining about him after the first episode)

Not for nothing, but with the HBO cameras on the scene, do you really think the coaching staff is going to openly criticize their most prized and important player? Just because we only saw them complaining about the McKnight's and the Coleman's of the team doesn't mean Sanchez isn't quietly being criticized behind closed doors.

He's a kid.

He's doing pretty well for a kid. He's cocky. He's had a lot of success and expects to do well in the future. He wants to get to the next level yesterday. All of these are good traits, it's just that he needs to focus thru the negative emotion when it comes. I don't see the brain like a trampoline thing. I don't see him shutting out his coaches (no one was complaining about him after the first episode), and he's obviously listening to Brunell. He's singled out veterans like Mangold and TRich specifically as guys who've helped him out a lot.

I don't get the harsh criticism. He's getting better, he's gets cockier, he makes a mistake, he gets down. He just needs to smooth out that roller coaster. That will come with age and experience.

Slats...you should be an agent the way you defend these guys.

When I was 23 years old, NO WAY IN HELL, I would ever disrespect any authority figure of any type by digging through my purse while he is trying to help me become a better leader/man. I was brought up to give a man of authority your undivided attention and I was that way from my teenage years.

What Sanchez did in that meeting is unacceptable. If my father was watching that, even at 23 years old, he would have flown out to Courtland and whipped my a$$.

When I was 23 years old, NO WAY IN HELL, I would ever disrespect any authority figure of any type by digging through my purse while he is trying to help me become a better leader/man. I was brought up to give a man of authority your undivided attention and I was that way from my teenage years.

What Sanchez did in that meeting is unacceptable. If my father was watching that, even at 23 years old, he would have flown out to Courtland and whipped my a$.

Wow, really?

F^ck that. I'm a question authority kinda guy thru and thru! laugh.gif

Not that that's what I think Sanchez was doing there. I agree that he's showing some immaturity, but it's not a steady stream of immaturity. He shows it in flashes just as he shows he can play QB at a high level in flashes. Obviously the goal is to be less immature and more great QB. I didn't see any evidence on the screen that suggests he can't do that.

Wow, really?

F^ck that. I'm a question authority kinda guy thru and thru! laugh.gif

Not that that's what I think Sanchez was doing there. I agree that he's showing some immaturity, but it's not a steady stream of immaturity. He shows it in flashes just as he shows he can play QB at a high level in flashes. Obviously the goal is to be less immature and more great QB. I didn't see any evidence on the screen that suggests he can't do that.

And I agree...I was totally 100% against Mark Sanchez and I hope with all my heart he proves me wrong. And so far, I think he's shown me enough to make me think that will be the case.

Still, his body language/demeanor in the meeting was totally unacceptable. The fact its now recorded and televised for the world to see, isnt good either IMO.

Hopefully this is all just stepping stones, but there was no excuse for that...and if I was Cav or Schott, cameras or not, I would have tore him a new one.

What Sanchez did in that meeting is unacceptable. If my father was watching that, even at 23 years old, he would have flown out to Courtland and whipped my a$$.

Correct. You heard the coaching staff talking about McKnight. Its the "new wave of USC players". They're all spoiled brats. Thank Pete Carroll for that sh*t.

He's a kid.

He's a kid??? Well, it seems we're putting our own personal lives into the mix here. From what I gather from an earlier post of yours, you seem to relate to this guy when you were his age. Me on the other hand, was more grown up when I was 19...so, I can't relate to this guy still being a "kid". I think you're being a little more tolerant than I am with him.

What Sanchez did in that meeting is unacceptable. If my father was watching that, even at 23 years old, he would have flown out to Courtland and whipped my a$.

I'm with on it but there is one thing I took out of it as a positive.

He cares. The kid really REALLY cares about his performances and that is the fuel to drive a person to continually get better. Some first round QB's never display that and become busts. I'm not saying Sanchez will be all world, but I think he'll be a solid starting QB in the league. Some people obviously don't have the nerves to be a QB in the NFL and they buckle under the pressure, I don't think Sanchez is that. I think he's learning how not to care so much while it still being there driving him.

He's a kid??? Well, it seems we're putting our own personal lives into the mix here. From what I gather from an earlier post of yours, you seem to relate to this guy when you were his age. Me on the other hand, was more grown up when I was 19...so, I can't relate to this guy still being a "kid". I think you're being a little more tolerant than I am with him.

I try not to play the when I was your age game too much, actually. I was having a good ol' ****ed up time when I was young, and didn't listen to a word anyone had to say, but I still supported myself. I had my own place in high school. I've been grown up for a long time, too.

I didn't see these complaints about him last week. One scene at the coach's table that I didn't like, either. I get that complaint. You seem to be equating that with some sort of defect that can't be fixed, and I just don't see that. I see a competitive kid who lets himself get too down when things don't go his way. I also see him and everyone around him working on that. Don't really see the reason for your emotional response to his emotional responses.

Archived