Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, in a position of labor uncertainty, when there could easily be a cap again next year, you'd pay one player roughly 8% of what last years cap was, every year, when that player is 1/53rd of the team?

Or, would you give him all the money this year, because, as you say, there is no cap? But wait, don't forget the 30% rule that prevents you from doing just that.

You're expecting to Jets to give Revis a contract based on 'football going the way of baseball' before it happens and with no indication of it happening. With that mentality, I couldn't imagine you running a lemonade stand, let alone a football team.

Maybe they want the NY Jets to become the NY Rangers. :face:

I have literally no idea what we're now talking about.

it's getting late over here on the east coast of these United States IJ-a lot of guys are tired, some are drunk, some prolly stoned-we're getting near time when the fights start breaking out and then soon to be followed by the teary-eyed I love you bro big group hug

If you draft a player in a lower round, you lock them up at a lower price for a potentially longer term. When their deals come due, THEN you pay them premium dollars as opposed to paying them top-dollar from the jump as the Jets are wont to do. If the Jets can't pay Revis because all of these big-ticket deals are coming due at the same time, it's their own fault that situation exists.

Yeah but, Mangold has another year on contract, Revis has 3, Harris has 2?, and DBrick is resigned. So, IMO, Mikey T has done a pretty damn good job of getting talent and setting up contracts that cooperate with the long term financial direction of keeping a championship caliber team.

I watched that interview and even though I am not a big fan of Woody's (hey now) I thought he handled himself well. Woody said that any contract would have to have value in it for the team. Since Revis has 3 years left, there is no value in the deal proposed by Camp Revis. Woody also said there has to be value in it for the player but what was proposed this week was what they proposed 6 months ago. And the Jets feel it is so far off they can't even negotiate from there.

I am getting sick of Revis though. Love him as a player, I understand his right to protect himself and his family. But cry me a friggin river already. The Jets are trying to win a Super Bowl and he is hurting their chances. So if he misses this year I can honestly say I hope the Jets let him sit out how ever many years he has to sit out until he becomes a free agent. Go do your comedy routine Darrelle, I am sure you can make a lot of money that way.

We have waited forever for a team that has a chance to be special. And now the only player in the NFL with a contract that is holding out is a NY Jet. Great. Mangold has 1000x more reasons to be holding out and he goes about his business in a completely different manner.

I think he deserves huge money. After QB, there may not be a more critical position on the field that CB, and Revis happens to be the best in the league right now. Now, obviously, structuring contracts based on what Al Davis does is absurd, but it is what it is and the Jets have to deal with it. If you cut Revis tomorrow, how long do you think it would take him to get the contract he wants as a FA? Ten minutes? You don't think Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder and--hell--Robert Kraft wouldn't line up to give him $45 mil guaranteed?

The only way the Jets can give Revis a deal now with $45M guaranteed is to give him a $45M signing bonus.

I couldn't vote.

I have no hate for him so I would've voted "None" but the poll starter added the stupid side commentary which changes the dynamic of the freakin' answer.

Seriously. Why the **** do poll starters have to add commentary? Isn't it enough to have simple choices???

You can have no hate for Revis but still not think he's worth the money he's asking for. Why **** up the poll with bullsh*t commentary???

So let me get this right... You guys wanna trade a player because he's demanding a lot of money to teams that will ultimately have a top 10 pick. I rather keep Revis on my roster than give a rookie all that money. Another thing, trading him will not be easy. We gotta find a team that is willing to give plenty of players/picks. The team will also hav to pay him that enormous contract that he wants. My prdiction is he'll be here before week 1.

So, in a position of labor uncertainty, when there could easily be a cap again next year, you'd pay one player roughly 8% of what last years cap was, every year, when that player is 1/53rd of the team? Even when that player has no leverage besides his services?

Or, would you give him all the money this year, because, as you say, there is no cap? But wait, don't forget the 30% rule that prevents you from doing just that.

You're expecting to Jets to give Revis a contract based on 'football going the way of baseball' before it happens and with no indication of it happening. With that mentality, I couldn't imagine you running a lemonade stand, let alone a football team.

EY, firstly, I dont want to pretend like I dont see your point...because I do and its not like you're not using logic. My problem isnt your logic, so I dont want to debate that. This is my problem...and really "feel" me on this.

How much is the words "shutdown corner" thrown around? Not too often. Revis is the only shutdown corner in the league, some can argue Nnamdi. How in the world can we even talk about cap percentages when we can sign Rookies with 50 million + guaranteed yet a PROVEN shutdown Probowl Corner cant get the same pay day. There's something wrong with that.

Ima leave this alone now, even if you respond. My position is that Revis should get paid if we're paying players who havent even proved themselves these outrageous contracts. Dude is the best in the game. I dont wanna hear it.

So let me get this right... You guys wanna trade a player because he's demanding a lot of money to teams that will ultimately have a top 10 pick. I rather keep Revis on my roster than give a rookie all that money. Another thing, trading him will not be easy. We gotta find a team that is willing to give plenty of players/picks. The team will also hav to pay him that enormous contract that he wants. My prdiction is he'll be here before week 1.

THANK YOU

The Yankees spend, but last year they won the World Series over the Phillies, and they had more home grown talent on their team!

Same thing with the Jets. Our problem isnt hitting free agency every year like the Redskins. Our problem is the NFL hasnt figured out a way to allow teams who draft good to be able to actually KEEP their players and take advantage of having great drafts. Whats the point of drafting Mangold, Harris, Revis, etc and cant even pay them when they do well because your draft picks count under the cap and you cant pay them all because they are too good to play for 500,000 (which harris, the 3rd best MLB IMO is playing for right now).

Same thing with the Jets. Our problem isnt hitting free agency every year like the Redskins. Our problem is the NFL hasnt figured out a way to allow teams who draft good to be able to actually KEEP their players and take advantage of having great drafts. Whats the point of drafting Mangold, Harris, Revis, etc and cant even pay them when they do well because your draft picks count under the cap and you cant pay them all because they are too good to play for 500,000 (which harris, the 3rd best MLB IMO is playing for right now).

One disaster at a time VTF-that's a whole nuther fight-and you're right...

Cheer up Jets fans. This public speak is just clever negotiating, trying to sway public opinion IMO. IIRC Emmitt Smith held out until Week 3 in 1993, by which time the Cowboys were 0-2. He signed, everybody kissed and made up, and they still won the Super Bowl. Not saying it'll happen that way with Revis, but bleaker situations than this have turned out OK.

Jeez, I cant believe I just said that... :unsure:

What "cripples" a franchise is consistently trading up into the first and second round to pick up more high-value players. At some point, assuming those players hit, you have to pay the piper. It's not Revis' fault that Tannenbaum likes to wheel and deal all the time and now has to figure out how to pay Mangold AND Brick AND Harris AND Revis and then Sanchez, etc. etc. Why should Revis pay because of the Jets' drafting practices?

so now tannenbaum is crippling the franchise because he's making really good draft picks? sorry but thats just stupid.

Should Woody just hand Revis a blank check and say "name your price"?

revis is a great player no doubt. but it takes more than one player to win. if you give revis whatever he wants what happens with mangold, harris, edwards, holmes...etc. we need to keep some of these othe rplayers too. without knowing what the cba is going to look like t's gonna be hard to give revis a huge multi-year contract. we just don't knwo how much it's going to affect our future signings. the best idea is to give him a nice chunk of guaranteed money for this year and get him into camp. but we don't know enough about the exact numbers being proposed by either side to know how feasible even that is. if revis is dead set on getting a multi-year contract making more than aso then he may not ever play another game for the jets. and while that would suck.......i trust ryan can scheme a successful defense without revis being a part of it.

Interesting concept. It couldn't be too much but I could see only counting 90% of a player's subsequent contract if you drafted him.

The bigger crime, to me, is the way the super-high draft picks not only cost so much, but cost so much against the cap, that it's almost a curse to get those top picks. Say your team sucks bad enough to warrant a top-5 pick. So you NEED a stud in the worst way. Well these top-5 draft picks cost more than a franchise player at their respective positions and they aren't even locks to become good players, let alone great stud players. So not only aren't you filling a void you might have through trade or free agency, but it costs you more than any sure thing would have -- AND if they miss you STILL are in just as dire need for a super-talent player and now have 10-13M less in cap space with which to find one. Not to mention you're probably not even going to look for a few years in order to give a potential bust a zillion chances to prove himself otherwise. To say nothing of how some of these guys may have turned out better if not for the ridiculous influx of cash at age 22-ish. How many uneducated (basket-weaving classes notwithstanding) 22 year-old's are prepared to maturely handle suddenly having a checking account with $10-20M in it?

But back on point, even if they create a tier-system for rookies, which it seems likely, those rookie contracts should count differently on the cap as veteran contracts. It helps bad teams two ways:

1) Insulates their salary cap from top-5 (or #1) picks that turn into busts. Still costs the owner, but it's not the same thing.

2) Makes those top picks FAR more of a trade commodity should that team want to trade the pick. Right now they're not worth as much, not because of the compensation needed to acquire a top pick, but because of that compensation combined with a $10-12M per season cap hit for an unknown.

3rd year players can absolutely be traded and agreements made beforehand as to $ paid

SoFla what I meant was, the Jets would demand too much for him and his $$ demands would detour other teams. It would have to be the perfect storm of trade pieces and money. So yeah, it could happen, but not very likely.

SoFla what I meant was, the Jets would demand too much for him and his $ demands would detour other teams. It would have to be the perfect storm of trade pieces and money. So yeah, it could happen, but not very likely.

So much for the idea that he's so great that anyone would want to pay him that much.

Teams trade picks all the time for players in need of new contracts. We'll see if there's a windfall of worthy offers that come the Jets' way.

So much for the idea that he's so great that anyone would want to pay him that much.

Teams trade picks all the time for players in need of new contracts. We'll see if there's a windfall of worthy offers that come the Jets' way.

You can see a deal getting done?

Only way I see it happening is if he sits out a year lowers his demand and says trade or else...

"They have yet to offer Darrelle Revis -- only their best player -- a single penny in guaranteed money."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ready_to_fumble_izboTj8LUmhXfWks2TTpeP#ixzz0wCdKqnyX

It's one thing to say "blank check"

its another to say show up with no bonus money

the Jets are in the wrong in this situation. Clearly.

Sorry Bit, Revis behavior this season has made it really hard to justify a big chunk of upfront guaranteed money. What happens after they fork over $20M and then 2 yrs down the road we have to hear how Revis can't feed his family on only $5M/yr.

Once the Jets fork over the signing bonus they have no ability to recover any $ and Revis has already proven his respect for a signed contract.

"They have yet to offer Darrelle Revis -- only their best player -- a single penny in guaranteed money."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ready_to_fumble_izboTj8LUmhXfWks2TTpeP#ixzz0wCdKqnyX

I think a good faith gesture on behalf of Bevis would be to give back the original signing bonus.

So you are saying "yes" that no demand is too great?

Serby is an idiot comparing Jeter with the Revis situation. First and foremost, there isn't a cap in baseball. How many baseball players do you know do not report to training camp because of a contract dispute?

Each passing day of this fiasco, I get more pissed. Probably because I've drank the Kool Aid of this team going to the SB. I say let him rot on MEvis Island...keep him there as long as you can until his freaking playing skills diminish to a point of money is no longer a factor. **** him. :angry:

Serby is an idiot comparing Jeter with the Revis situation. First and foremost, there isn't a cap in baseball. How many baseball players do you know do not report to training camp because of a contract dispute?

exactly.....you can't compare baseball to football as far as contracts go. completely different animal. no reason for baseball players to hold out though......contracts are fully guaranteed. i can understand revis holding out for more money this year.......but to expect a 6 year contract at more than 15 mil/year is unreasonable imo

Archived