Tony Richardson back?

slats

Tony Richardson could rejoin Jets as soon as today

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2010 10:23 AM ETJets fans could have multiple reasons to be happy today, one week before the team opens the stadium it will share with the Giants.

Apart from the return of Darrelle Revis, the Jets are expected to bring back fullback Tony Richardson.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Richardson could be re-signing as soon as this afternoon. (Actually, the source says that Richardson "should be" returning on Monday.)

We're in the process of figuring out why the Jets would need to cut Richardson for one day -- and why G.M. Mike Tannenbaum's comments about Richardson's release carried a strong whiff of finality: "Each season, there are difficult choices when constructing the 53-man roster and this year is no exception. We appreciate Tony's contributions and leadership over the past two seasons and have nothing but the highest respect for him as a person and as a player."

Many believed that the Jets were simply trying to avoid having to essentially guarantee Richardson's base salary of $855,000 by cutting him before Week One and bringing him back immediately thereafter. The truth simply could be that with an influx of three new players via waivers on Sunday the Jets had to scramble to decide which player(s) to cut. Any players with fewer than four years of service would have been subject to waivers. Since Richardson is a vested veteran, he became a free agent. Though other teams may have tried to sign him, no one had the ability to "claim" him against his will.

Our guess (and it's just a guess) is that the Jets opted not to cut one of their cornerbacks before finalizing the Revis agreement -- and that one of the six cornerbacks will be getting the heave-ho today so that Richardson can be re-signed. Look for the Jets to get a short-term roster exemption for Revis, so that they can figure out in the next day or so who else needs to go so before activating Revis in time for Monday night.

Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2010 10:23 AM ETJets fans could have multiple reasons to be happy today, one week before the team opens the stadium it will share with the Giants.

Apart from the return of Darrelle Revis, the Jets are expected to bring back fullback Tony Richardson.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Richardson could be re-signing as soon as this afternoon. (Actually, the source says that Richardson "should be" returning on Monday.)

We're in the process of figuring out why the Jets would need to cut Richardson for one day -- and why G.M. Mike Tannenbaum's comments about Richardson's release carried a strong whiff of finality: "Each season, there are difficult choices when constructing the 53-man roster and this year is no exception. We appreciate Tony's contributions and leadership over the past two seasons and have nothing but the highest respect for him as a person and as a player."

Many believed that the Jets were simply trying to avoid having to essentially guarantee Richardson's base salary of $855,000 by cutting him before Week One and bringing him back immediately thereafter. The truth simply could be that with an influx of three new players via waivers on Sunday the Jets had to scramble to decide which player(s) to cut. Any players with fewer than four years of service would have been subject to waivers. Since Richardson is a vested veteran, he became a free agent. Though other teams may have tried to sign him, no one had the ability to "claim" him against his will.

Our guess (and it's just a guess) is that the Jets opted not to cut one of their cornerbacks before finalizing the Revis agreement -- and that one of the six cornerbacks will be getting the heave-ho today so that Richardson can be re-signed. Look for the Jets to get a short-term roster exemption for Revis, so that they can figure out in the next day or so who else needs to go so before activating Revis in time for Monday night.

Ahh this makes more sense to me. They probably had a handshake agreement to resign right away.

Still don't know if they need to carry 2 FB's. Need to cut 2 to make room for Revis and Richardson, and another week 4 for Holmes. I hope Mulligan is one of the cuts as I think having 4 TE's is too much.

I agree. I think in a vacuum 2 FBs and 4 TEs are ridiculous considering how thin we are at WR and on defense other than CBs. I was just shocked at Richardson getting cut. I think he's clearly on the decline, which is to be expected considering his age, but I just felt that it was more of a money driven cut than a coaching decision. That we didn't want to cut a corner until we were certain about Revis makes a lot more sense to me.

Randy Lange wrote this today:

T-Rich Return?

Reports are saying that fullback Tony Richardson, released Sunday when the Jets added three waiver acquisitions to their active roster, could be back in uniform this week before the opener against the Ravens. The team has had no comment on his possible return to start his 16th NFL season.

For Randy to comment on it and say no comment, means it is happening. It wasn't like he was asked and had to answer it. He brought it up...

Good news and hats off to the Jets. I was worried about this move, really worried. Hoping for more good news soon.

bitterness over T Rich release

September, 6, 2010 Sep 63:14PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiTony Richardson's locker at the New York Jets' training facility was intact Monday. Everything was still in it, from practice jerseys to shampoo to toothpaste. It didn't look like the locker of a player who is gone for good.

Richardson will be back and it could be sooner than expected. Some of his teammates said they're hopeful that the well-respected fullback could re-sign with the Jets as soon as Monday. Previously, it was thought that the team would wait until after Week 1 to bring him back. That way, his $855,000 salary wouldn't be guaranteed.

It appears they did some roster tinkering as the Darrelle Revis saga was coming to a conclusion. Instead of exposing a younger player to waivers to make room for Revis, the Jets terminated Richardson's contract. Because he's a vested veteran, he's not on waivers. They could've made a handshake agreement to have him return after one day in limbo. Such a move, if that's how it plays out, wouldn't cost Richardson any pay.

No harm, no foul? Not exactly. Some players still were upset that Richardson, one of the classiest players in the league, was used as a pawn in the unconventional chess game. One player said it was a "(crappy)" thing to do to an exemplary player. Several said they were stunned when they heard the news late Sunday.

"It was jaw dropping," said TE Dustin Keller, who has the locker next to Richardson. "I couldn't believe it. He's our top veteran on offense. If we become the Super Bowl team we want to be, to do it without him would be tough.

"T. Rich has been a mentor to so many guys on this team, especially myself," Keller added. "It would be tough to see him go. I'm really hoping he'll be back."

Said NT Kris Jenkins: "I didn't see that one coming. That caught me off guard. It's a really big loss for us. I don't know what his future is, but I wish him all the best. He would be thoroughly missed in this locker room."

That was my next question.

;) Will still have to make another cut to bring T-Rich back I believe. B.Jackson was the Revis sacrificial lamb.

Matt Mulligan maybe? I also heard rumors that Drew Coleman is on the bubble and maybe the one to get axed to bring T-Rich back. One of those two I would guess.

;) Will still have to make another cut to bring T-Rich back I believe. B.Jackson was the Revis sacrificial lamb.

Matt Mulligan maybe? I also heard rumors that Drew Coleman is on the bubble and maybe the one to get axed to bring T-Rich back. One of those two I would guess.

Drew Coleman finally getting the axe- yes to that

If this is true, and it appears from Rex's presser that it is, very shrewd move.

I guess maybe, just maybe, the Jets Front Office knows what they're doing after all?

Jets re-sign Tony Richardson

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2010 4:28 PM ET

Less than 24 hours after announcing the release of fullback Tony Richardson in language that suggested he wouldn't be coming back, the Jets have brought Richardson back.

NFL.com passes along word that Jets coach Rex Ryan confirmed today that the team re-signed Richardson a day after cutting him.

We noted this morning that Richardson could re-join the team this afternoon, so Ryan's confirmation isn't a surprise. But it's still not completely clear why the Jets decided to cut Richardson yesterday.

But Richardson is back, and the Jets now have two fullbacks, with Richardson serving as the veteran mentor to the hard-hitting rookie John Conner.

The Florio article makes sense that the Jets could cut TRich with no worry rather than another player who would have to go through waivers. They needed to have a roster spot open.

With Revis getting a roster exception for 2 weeks (according to Rex & reports) the Jets can carry 55 players (including Santonio who is also exempt). They'll have to make another roster decision in 3 weeks.

I'm very happy that T-Rich is back. I don't mind having two FBs on the squad. However, I do mind having FOUR tight ends. That's just stupid, IMO. This is probably Richardson's last year and then we'll hang the starting position over to The Terminator. It's also good that he's going to get a full year of being mentored by Richardson.

The Florio article makes sense that the Jets could cut TRich with no worry rather than another player who would have to go through waivers. They needed to have a roster spot open.

With Revis getting a roster exception for 2 weeks (according to Rex & reports) the Jets can carry 55 players (including Santonio who is also exempt). They'll have to make another roster decision in 3 weeks.

Very nicely done. Who says the Front Office is stupid? Not me.

Archived