Rex Ryan admits concern about Sanchez, offense

Jetfan13

According to Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post, Jets coach Rex Ryan was asked at his press conference on Tuesday if he was concerned with his offense.

“Yes,” he said quickly. “Absolutely.”

“There was no rhythm; there was nothing,” Ryan said of Monday’s offensive performance. “[Against] this team we’re going up against, obviously we’ve got to find a way, because that team is going to score and we have to be able to score.

“I think we have the ability; I don’t think there’s any doubt,” Ryan went on. “But we’ve got to find a way to convert on third down and keep drives alive. When you’re 1-of-11 on third down you’re not going to beat anybody. We’ve got to be better. If that’s dialing things back, whatever, we’ll search for an answer.”

“We need to throw the ball down the field more — especially when teams are going to load against the run like [baltimore] did,” Ryan said. “We have the weapons on the outside to make plays.”

Ryan took some responsibility for perhaps making Sanchez too cautious to make a mistake.

“Maybe I did drill it into his head a little too much,” Ryan said. “Maybe that hurt us.”

My concern is if Sanches has to decide on the #1 or checkdown before the snap...he might not have the smarts to decide on the fly.

As for Rex, he's been around the game WAY too long to not know where the problem is. My guess is that there's a political hurdle with dumping shottenheimer. (like maybe Buddy Ryan and Marty S. are on a bowling league together)

the harsh truth is Mark Sanchez hasn't proven anything. In fact the track record on USC QBs lately is downright atrocious. So we all assume that Sanchez is great and Schotty is holding him back but we don't know that. We hope that's the case. Cause it's easier to fire the OC than get a new franchise QB.

the harsh truth is Mark Sanchez hasn't proven anything. In fact the track record on USC QBs lately is downright atrocious. So we all assume that Sanchez is great and Schotty is holding him back but we don't know that. We hope that's the case. Cause it's easier to fire the OC than get a new franchise QB.

We blame Shotty because Chad and Brett did better when they left Shotty.

Shotty has had three attempts at making a QB work, all three attempts failed.

I think most realize its a combo of both but nobody knows which one is more at fault.

What bothers me about Mark is that he could have easily checked out of plays, and adjusted routes at the LOS to give them a shot down field and he didnt. He played into their scared to take a shot mentality. True leaders and great QB's, want the chance to attack a defense like that...he looked like he wanted nothing to do with it.

Thats a concern.

I'll agree with you on this one. Except I don't know that anyone is assuming Sanchez is great at this juncture. He's gone from staring down his WR's to outright ignoring them. If that's an improvement the concept is lost on me.

Honestly I think Schotty is a huge thorn in the side of Marks growth. Schotty grew up under Steve Spurrier. That gimmicky sh*t doesn't work in the pros. Schotty hasn't proven a God damn thing in this league.

IMO they have brain washed Sanchez. They have pushed on him "don't make a mistake" and "check down!".

Clearly by this statement.

“Maybe I did drill it into his head a little too much,” Ryan said. “Maybe that hurt us.”

Ok, so now that we have noticed. Now we have to rectify it.

Ryan took some responsibility for perhaps making Sanchez too cautious to make a mistake.

Last year Sanchez was a gun slinger.. one of the highest YPC and INT %... My guess has been that rex has been a much bigger influence on what we saw monday night then most care to admit. I don't get the feeling Sanchex has a ton of respect for Schotty.. They need to find a balance between last year and monday night..

Last year Sanchez was pretty deadly on the quick slants.

Did the Jets even run a quick slant on Monday night?

Tell me about it, if the truth is that the Ravens were doubling BE and trying to take him out of the game, then I have no clue why we werent running some quick hit stuff underneath. Makes no sense. Its essentially the same way Moss opens up your D. Use him to take the top off, use the rest of the WR core to run the intermediate routes. Seems like an easy way to convert on 3rd down.

Its essentially the same way Moss opens up your D. Use him to take the top off, use the rest of the WR core to run the intermediate routes. Seems like an easy way to convert on 3rd down.

IMO, that quick slant would work much better on 1st down as teams are stacking the box looking for a 1st down run creating a seam between the LB's and S.

You hit that quick slant on 1st down, you are then in a 2nd down, short yardage situation.

C'mon Man. This is the NFL. Nobody is going to give Sanchez' favorite throws to him. Their going to play inside leverage to take away the slants, double his #1 WR to force him to hold the ball. Looked to me like #6 was looking to his number one guy and then checking down if he wasn't open. If he was coached to do that then its bad coaching, if he was doing on its own, its on him and he needs to trust his OL more. Either way, you're insulting your coaching staff/QB by implying their too dumb to call slant passes and you're insulting the opposing team by thinking they won't try their damndest to take them away.

C'mon Man. This is the NFL. Nobody is going to give Sanchez' favorite throws to him. Their going to play inside leverage to take away the slants, double his #1 WR to force him to hold the ball.

On a 3rd and +5 yards, teams will definately take away that slant route as the LB's will drop back into the lanes instead of being up in the box.

That's why I said in my previous post that the slant play would be much more effective on 1st down instead of 3rd down.

I aid the same thing yesterday...when Sanchez broke out of his funk last year, it was mainly due to hitting those quick slants.Everything Monday night waseither behind the LOS or outs..When they went deep the few times, it worked but was brought back on penalties.The only slant I remember was the one Keller got creamed on by Ray Lewis. That is avery important part of Sanchez's play, they need to use it more to at least help him gain some confidence early.

Last year Sanchez was a gun slinger.. one of the highest YPC and INT %... My guess has been that rex has been a much bigger influence on what we saw monday night then most care to admit. I don't get the feeling Sanchex has a ton of respect for Schotty.. They need to find a balance between last year and monday night..

Exactly.

If you over emphasis "don't turn the ball over" it morphs into "don't make any plays."

As Sperm said, it went from "staring down and forcing throws to WRs" to "ignoring WRs all together." Yes, you eliminate the INTs, but you also eliminate 1st down plays, i.e., passing plays longer than 10 yds.

It's ****ed up that Rex says they have to change something in week 2 of the season. Hey, you fat ****, you didn't see this during the preseason??? The 1st team offense did the SAME EXACT THING. They had only TWO scoring drives than ended in TDs. What we saw in week 1 wasn't an aberration. It was a trend. They had to know this was going to happen because it ALREADY happened in the preseason.

yeah great he's concerned. he ******* better be cncerned. the mor important thing is he better ******* do something about it. idk if he's trying to save face r what's going on...but he better get his a$$ more involved in the offense. how on earth does the head coach not know if one of his main rb's was benched or not? i've oficially already had enough with ryan and his ******* swagger and mouth. put up or shut up.....that's all i have to say. quit talking and start doing.

Exactly.

If you over emphasis "don't turn the ball over" it morphs into "don't make any plays."

As Sperm said, it went from "staring down and forcing throws to WRs" to "ignoring WRs all together." Yes, you eliminate the INTs, but you also eliminate 1st down plays, i.e., passing plays longer than 10 yds.

It's ****ed up that Rex says they have to change something in week 2 of the season. Hey, you fat ****, you didn't see this during the preseason??? The 1st team offense did the SAME EXACT THING. They had only TWO scoring drives than ended in TDs. What we saw in week 1 wasn't an aberration. It was a trend. They had to know this was going to happen because it ALREADY happened in the preseason.

that's because he was to busy popping ff at the mouth. you know it was all funny and entertaining, and i like the confidence. but if you're going to talk you better ******* be prepared to play. the jets came into that game completely unprepared to play. yeah the defense held them to 10 points...but all those ******* penalties were a damn joke. thats called being unprepared. when you play undisciplined you are not prepared. ryan did not have this team ready to play sound football...and thats bs. if they lost because they were just completely outgunned thats one thing. but this team has talent. ryan has to take control of the entire team......not just the defense. i'm really ******* annoyed with his bs this week. hw in hell do you not know whats going on with your offense as a head coach? get your watermelon sized head out of your fat a$$ and right the ship before it ******* sinks. with this schedule we dont have any time. the patriots are up this week and then the dolphins next week. 2 division games. very important.

C'mon Man. This is the NFL. Nobody is going to give Sanchez' favorite throws to him. Their going to play inside leverage to take away the slants, double his #1 WR to force him to hold the ball. Looked to me like #6 was looking to his number one guy and then checking down if he wasn't open. If he was coached to do that then its bad coaching, if he was doing on its own, its on him and he needs to trust his OL more. Either way, you're insulting your coaching staff/QB by implying their too dumb to call slant passes and you're insulting the opposing team by thinking they won't try their damndest to take them away.

I'd agree with you, but this team is a ground and pound team. Defense is going to look to take away that first and slants cant definitely catch you off guard.

And you implying that teams cant do what they want to do because the defense wants to take it away is insulting as well. The Jets were the best run team in the league last year, do you think teams were trying to take that away? They did it any way.

Sanchez may very well suck, but it doesn't mean Schotty isn't god awfully horrible as an OC. Schotty has sucked with Chad Pennington, Brett Favre, Kellen Clemens and now Mark Sanchez. And it can't all be the QBs, Favre had two of his best years before and after Schotty and as much as I may not have liked the guy, Chad was never so turnover prone as he was under Schotty (the same can be said for every QB Schotty has coached BTW), and had the second best year of his career just one season after leaving him. Oh yeah, and outside of Sanchez's playoff performances, EVERY QB Schotty has coached has shown regression over the course of their time with him.

The guy just isn't very good at his job.

I'd agree with you, but this team is a ground and pound team. Defense is going to look to take away that first and slants cant definitely catch you off guard.

And you implying that teams cant do what they want to do because the defense wants to take it away is insulting as well. The Jets were the best run team in the league last year, do you think teams were trying to take that away? They did it any way.

I can respect that. All I can say is IMO your offense wasn't any good even last year. The reason ground and pound worked is b/c your defense was so good that you could afford to run 60% of the time w/o falling behind. Also, Sanchez played well at the start of the season (very well considering what's happened since) and it takes time for teams to discover what opposing players'/teams weaknesses are.

At this point, every team in the league is going to try and stuff the run, take away the easy throws and expose Sanchez. And every team is going to try and strip Shonn Greene whenever he has the ball. Until those two guys can prove that they aren't weak links, their going to be attacked relentlessly.

VS the Pats specifically, I think they'll crowd the LOS and double Braylon. Cotchery is going to have to step it up, he's been Sanchez' security blanket from what I've seen and he'll need to have a good game for you guys to move the ball consistently. On defense, I think you matchup better than you did vs Baltimore. The Pats OL wont get much movement, if any, but I guarantee you that Cromartie and Wilson, especially Wilson, will have bullseyes on their back. Revis should be able to handle Moss, Welker should be doubled, it'll be Brandon Tate, Kevin Faulk, and their TEs that you have to worry about. Either way, the Patriots will score in the high teens or low 20s, it'll be up to your offense to keep up, or your defense/ST to score on their own. I doubt they can play any better than they did last week though.

sadly, i have to agree. i just don't want to wait a whole season to find out if it's schotty or sanchez. we have the defense to go all the way, the offense has to step it up.

Honestly I think Schotty is a huge thorn in the side of Marks growth. Schotty grew up under Steve Spurrier. That gimmicky sh*t doesn't work in the pros. Schotty hasn't proven a God damn thing in this league.

IMO they have brain washed Sanchez. They have pushed on him "don't make a mistake" and "check down!".

This is exactly how I feel. They talked about not turning it over and throwing it much more to the RBs than last year. We'll he didn't throw one pick and all he did was throw to the Rbs. He's just doing what he's told. He has to get the feel again like the end of last year when he was telling Schotty what plays they should run (and we were much more successful on offense). The bottom line is, the S in Schotty stands for f*cking sucks.

let's see. Leinart sucked and Palmer was one of the best in the league before the knee injury. I wouldn't say the track record is atrocious.

And there is a huge difference between Palmer/Sanchez and Leinart. Palmer/Sanchez were both top recruits. Leinart wasn't. Leinart got nowhere near the field his first 2 years, then was considered the weak link his jr. year before the season. Then an absoulute incredible team made him look good. Still have no idea how he was drafted in the 1st rd.

lol Schotty somehow manages to retain the worst aspects of Mike Martz without any of the actual results. Now that's a good OC there, he has made some scrubby QBs look good. Schotty makes Pro Bowl QBs look like scrubs.

The last of the 3 stooges remaining, the rest of you fools will eventually catch on but by then it'll be too late and it will probably be someone else. That is why this sh*tty franchise never gets anywhere, it insists on doggedly retaining crappy coaches for far too long. Hackett, Herm, Sutton, Mangini all were obviously bad coaches and were not removed until a year or two minimum after they had shown how bad they were. A top franchise will make the same mistakes in hiring coaches too--it's impossible not to--but they will remove those coaches quickly so as not to destroy the rest of the team. Look at BB over in NE, he is now running the entire team apparently by himself. Even the crappy Miami Dolphins only needed one year of Cam Cameron to see he wasn't the man for the job.

Yet Jet coaches seem to get 3 years leeway everytime. Schott really needs to go before he creates a crappy successor. Clemens is permanently ruined already, at the rate we're going Sanchez will be too.

to put my earlier comments in this thread into context, i dont think Sanchez did that poor of a job

If the football gods come down from on high, 3 months before the game, and predict that the Jets would lose to the Ravens by 1 on opening night, we'd all we liek "yeah that sounds about right"

Losing by 1 to the Ravens isn't that awful of a result. these 2 teams match-up tight and are basically carbon copies of each other in many ways.

their sanchez was better than our sanchez, their bart scott was better than our bart scott, and their jenkins didn't blow out his knee in the first quarter.

15 games left, and I think it starts for Sanchez and the Jets this weekend. tensions are running high and these guys will explode this sunday.

the Jets are home underdogs coming off of 1 point loss. it seems like a violent combo. Win or lose i'm expecting violence this weekend from the Jets.

let me give you another permutation if the football gods again came down from on high and said Jets win week 1 and Pats lose to Bengals, I'd be worried about week 2 vs Pats.

You can't give Schotty a pass on Clemens because he's the guy the Jets sent out to Oregon twice to put KC through private workouts before the draft. And you can be damn sure he also signed off on Sanchez. Would Schotty be a better OC if he had Peyton Manning? Sure. But he doesn't. There are OC's in the league that get stuck with young, highly-drafted QB's or average veteran QB's who figure out how to muster up a consistent offense. Schotty hasn't and there is no evidence he ever will.

Just answer one question: what does Schottenheimer do well?

You know, Mangini was a jack a$$ with the secrecy stuff, but at least he admitted to it. Rex makes this big deal about being open but then we don't get any honest answers on all sorts of questions. Mangini was honest in the sense that a man who says No Comment to every question can't be called a liar. Rex claims to be open, but whats really happening on the offense? The lack of openness is going to kill him with the fans even worse than it did with Mangini because he claims to be open.

The lack of openness is going to kill him with the fans even worse than it did with Mangini because he claims to be open.

Bullsh*t. Jets fans didn't hate Mangini because didn't answer questions. Jets hated Mangini because going 4-12 is ******* embarrassment.

Belichick hasn't won over any Patriots fans because of his press conference mannerisms or style of dress, he won us over with the three rings on his fingers.

Ryan being a Dbag hasn't bothered many Jets fans. Pissed off the rest of the league, but has had any Jets fans calling for him to be fired. If Ryan takes the Jets to the superbowl, no Jets fan is gonna give two sh*ts about whether Ryan is open or not. If the Jets start the season 0-3, nothing Ryan says in a press conference is going to temper the chants for his being fired.

Bullsh*t. Jets fans didn't hate Mangini because didn't answer questions. Jets hated Mangini because going 4-12 is ******* embarrassment.

Belichick hasn't won over any Patriots fans because of his press conference mannerisms or style of dress, he won us over with the three rings on his fingers.

Ryan being a Dbag hasn't bothered many Jets fans. Pissed off the rest of the league, but has had any Jets fans calling for him to be fired. If Ryan takes the Jets to the superbowl, no Jets fan is gonna give two sh*ts about whether Ryan is open or not. If the Jets start the season 0-3, nothing Ryan says in a press conference is going to temper the chants for his being fired.

I've got to agree with the chowder-lover on this one. If Ryan gets some rings he can talk sh*t about all of our mothers in his press conferences and nobody is going to care.

You can't give Schotty a pass on Clemens because he's the guy the Jets sent out to Oregon twice to put KC through private workouts before the draft. And you can be damn sure he also signed off on Sanchez. Would Schotty be a better OC if he had Peyton Manning? Sure. But he doesn't. There are OC's in the league that get stuck with young, highly-drafted QB's or average veteran QB's who figure out how to muster up a consistent offense. Schotty hasn't and there is no evidence he ever will.

Just answer one question: what does Schottenheimer do well?

So now we're blaming him for poor drafting?

I hated Mangini for the lack of openness. Not telling people which knee Vilma injured won us zero games. As time went on his whole demeanor wore on people. At the end people were ready to lynch him. I remember at the end of his third season hearing Klecko on WFAN saying he was treating the old players poorly and was not a good coach. I was like, uh oh, you piss off Klecko you piss off the Jet faithful. I think losing fan support was one of the factors Dale Gribble considered when he fired Mangini.

Archived