Eric Smith: Rex's Goon

SoFlaJets

Now I hate hockey and haven't actually watched a hockey game since The Miracle On Ice in 1980 but I know how in the 70's The Flyers would always have a guy they would send in there to beat the sh*t out of somebody-usually the guy who was doing the most damage. Rex had to quietly tell Eric Smith to "hit that little ****er Welker" in the head. He was on Queer Street the rest of the game.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I hate hockey and haven't actually watched a hockey game since The Miracle On Ice in 1980 but I know how in the 70's The Flyers would always have a guy they would send in there to beat the sh*t out of somebody-usually the guy who was doing the most damage. Rex had to quietly tell Eric Smith to "hit that little ****er Welker" in the head. He was on Queer Street the rest of the game.

If so, perhaps not on a miss third down conversion next time?

To make Welker than less effective was worth 15 yards. That's a Neanderthal way of things. DOn't wish any long-term ill on Welker, but wasn't heartbroken to see him miss a series and be less productive than in the past vs. the Jets.

Was dissappointed Brady didn't sustain a compound fracture of his femur,a Theissmann extra joint type thing, but that's me.

I watched that hit by Smith about 10 times in slo-mo on the DVR. It was barely a legit penalty and was not a hit that would cause a concussion.

It was not intentional and should not really have been a penalty...

Nothing that leads to a TD instead of a punt is a good thing, unless he flat out took Welker out.

If you put your elbow/shoulder into a receiver's head, it's a penalty, intentional or not. Welker went off the field for a series and simply wasn't as effective as he usually is when he returned. Even if he was concussed despite the NFL rules, we'll probably never know with Bellicheat.

I watched that hit by Smith about 10 times in slo-mo on the DVR. It was barely a legit penalty and was not a hit that would cause a concussion.

whether it was or not Kleck, it WAS good enough to ring Welker's bell and take him out of a bunch of plays that he would have normally been in on.

Tbh this thread is depressing. Are you ******* serious right now? If we are talking cheap hit to knock players out of the game you need serious ******* help.

There is NO WAY Smith is trying to do anything other than lay an extremely hard, LEGAL hit on an extremely good WR.

Agreed.

Thank you. Brady hit Welker harder when he head butted him after the TD, which was after the head shot by Smith.

Guys gotta give credit when it's due. Rex's adjustments shut down Welker, not some phony concussion which Welker faked to draw a flag.

This is Eric Smith we're talking about guys - the man who destroyed Anquan Boldin's face. If Eric Smith was trying to hurt Welker, Welker wouldn't have returned to the game.

whether it was or not Kleck, it WAS good enough to ring Welker's bell and take him out of a bunch of plays that he would have normally been in on.

I don't think it rung Welker's bell. I think Welker faked being hurt to draw a flag. That was a glancing blow. If Smith was going all out, Welker would be literally dead right now. Remember, this man destroyed Anquan Boldin's face. What would he do to Welker if he hit him the same way?

Thank you. Brady hit Welker harder when he head butted him after the TD, which was after the head shot by Smith.

Guys gotta give credit when it's due. Rex's adjustments shut down Welker, not some phony concussion which Welker faked to draw a flag.

This is Eric Smith we're talking about guys - the man who destroyed Anquan Boldin's face. If Eric Smith was trying to hurt Welker, Welker wouldn't have returned to the game.

This. He barely got hit. It was his ******* arm and it barely grazed his helmet...sorry, but that doest hurt. Welker was being the little pussy he is...and Tom definitely head butted him harder after the TD than Smiths arm to his helmet.

That penalty was absolute bull sh*t and so was the Cro pass interference on Moss. He didnt touch him.

Tbh this thread is depressing. Are you ******* serious right now? If we are talking cheap hit to knock players out of the game you need serious ******* help.

There is NO WAY Smith is trying to do anything other than lay an extremely hard, LEGAL hit on an extremely good WR.

did you ever play any football? Do you think that when you're looking across the line at a guy who is kicking your a$$ and guys don't say "somebody's gotta knock that ****er out the game?" Right or not IT'S FOOTBALL, it's human nature. Take a zoloft or something if this thread is depressing you or put on your big boy pants and understand the game you're watching. Ask Vince Wilfolk how HE feels about trying to take out QB's...I'm not saying it's right or wrong-I'm only saying that it's the way it IS

+1

That wasn't intentional. That was just horrible technique by Smith. Smith is supposed to be a smart guy in real life (tops of his class at Stanford), but he does some dumb things on the field.

or maybe he did what he was told to do by someone very quietly whispering in his ear

+1

That wasn't intentional. That was just horrible technique by Smith. Smith is supposed to be a smart guy in real life (tops of his class at Stanford), but he does some dumb things on the field.

Smith was a Spartan.

+1

Which is especially impressive when you go to Michigan State.

did you ever play any football? Do you think that when you're looking across the line at a guy who is kicking your a$$ and guys don't say "somebody's gotta knock that ****er out the game?" Right or not IT'S FOOTBALL, it's human nature. Take a zoloft or something if this thread is depressing you or put on your big boy pants and understand the game you're watching. Ask Vince Wilfolk how HE feels about trying to take out QB's...I'm not saying it's right or wrong-I'm only saying that it's the way it IS

I played on nationally ranked HS and College (Div III) teams. My HS coach is the OC at Florida and my College coach is now the DC at Maryland. I also played defensive back so yeah I get it. And no I'm not saying you should be impressed I played Div III football but I ******* get it, no need to be a condescending douchebag. NO I don't think Eric Smith was trying to lay a cheap shot especially at Rex Ryan's request...b/c that would be ******* STUPID.

In hockey a guy got the goon label if all he could do was fight.

There are still guys that can fight, but in a salary cap league, there are really no more flat out goons. Today's "goons" can play to some degree, and also fight.

Eric smith may play that "goon" role for the Jets, but he does more than just that, so I would not call him a goon.

Hit-man is more like it. :D

I played on nationally ranked HS and College (Div III) teams. My HS coach is the OC at Florida and my College coach is now the DC at Maryland. I also played defensive back so yeah I get it. And no I'm not saying you should be impressed I played Div III football but I ******* get it, no need to be a condescending douchebag. NO I don't think Eric Smith was trying to lay a cheap shot especially at Rex Ryan's request...b/c that would be ******* STUPID.

you know I started this thread dude and you jump in here telling me I need help and calling me a douchebag-if you don't like my thread ignore it-or stay out altogether-I could care less if you played on the Super Bowl winning team of 19whatever I've played a lot of football games and watched the game since the mid 60's...I know what I'm talking about...disagree if you want but when you start calling people you disagree with names you're playing small ball

“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people”

Archived