Polamalu likely out Sunday

Greenranger

Could the stars possibly be alining for the Jets with this and the Heath Miller injury?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/1111429-66.stm

Steelers' Polamalu not likely to play vs. Jets

Troy Polamalu, who has made game-changing defensive plays in each of the past three games, is not expected to play Sunday against the New York Jets after aggravating his lower-leg injury on a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Polamalu has not practiced the past two days, which has been the routine for the five-time Pro Bowl safety since he was injured last month. But he has always practiced Friday and played Sunday -- until now.

The Steelers do not have to list Polamalu's official injury status for the game until today after practice. He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Mundy or Will Allen.

Despite aggravating his injury in the second quarter against the Bengals, Polamalu never missed a play and even had a second interception in the fourth quarter.

His teammates have suggested that one of the reasons he lateraled the ball to cornerback Bryant McFadden on the second interception -- a move that upset coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau -- was because Polamalu did not want to continue to run with his injury, especially because it could have been a lengthy return.

Polamalu, who has four of his team-high six interceptions during the team's four-game winning streak, has been a defensive hero lately.

His diving interception at the Steelers' 2 in the final three minutes in Buffalo prevented the Bills from tying the game or scoring the go-ahead touchdown in the Steelers' overtime victory. The following week, his strip sack on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco led to the winning touchdown with 2:51 remaining in a 13-10 victory in Baltimore. And his interception return for touchdown against the Bengals tied the score and ignited the Steelers in a 23-7 victory.

Miller's status in question for Sunday

The Steelers may be without tight end Heath Miller Sunday against the visiting New York Jets.

Miller did not practice Thursday after experiencing post-concussion headaches, putting his status for the 4:15 p.m. game against the Jets in question.

The Steelers are hopeful that Miller, who did not play last Sunday, is able to practice today.

"We're going to do what's in his best interests and his family," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said yesterday. "We're not going to force anything and he's smart enough to make the right decision."

Miller, who got knocked out of a Dec. 5 game in Baltimore with a concussion, had passed a series of neurological tests earlier this week and practiced Wednesday.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went through a similar situation last season.

Cleared to play against the Ravens after sustaining a concussion the previous game, Roethlisberger had to give way to Dennis Dixon after suffering exercise-induced headaches later in the week.

• Outside linebacker James Harrison did not practice yesterday for a second-straight day because of an illness.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu also did not practice yesterday because of a bad ankle.

The Steelers have been holding the five-time Pro Bowler out of practices until Friday so he can rest his ankle.

"It feels alright," Polamalu said.

In addition to Harrison and Polamalu, defensive tackle Steve McLendon (stinger) did not practice yesterday.

Right tackle Flozell Adams (ankle) and cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring) returned to practice after not taking part in drills Wednesday.

If Polamalu is out, then I bet he only picks off Sanchez once, as opposed to my earlier prediction of twice.

I'm sticking with my 2 INT's...I could easily see Sanchez overthrowing a WR on the sideline a couple of times in Troy's general direction and Troy will make some type of miracle one handed catch or he wont be paying attention and it will get stuck in his hair.

Now the 2 pick six I predicted...well Farrior will get those (figured it had to be an ex-Jet)

that's big if true

In general, we saw how important Polamalu is to their defense after he got injured last year. So it is a big blow to their defense. Then again, Bad weather + Jets offense + Schotty = 5-10 dropped passes, 2-3 batted balls, 1 doink to LT where he doesn't even expect the ball, and struggles in the red zone.

I just have a bad feeling about this game. I don't think we match up well at all on offense vs their defense. We're going to need an efficient passing game to score points and I just don't see that happening. Especially in cold weather.

Who gives a sh-t?

When was the last time the Jets attacked a weak secondary besides the last 49 seconds of the Texans' game?

Seriously. The Steelers could have high schoolers manning the secondary and that won't automatically mean that Sukchez or Schitty will exploit it.

In general, we saw how important Polamalu is to their defense after he got injured last year. So it is a big blow to their defense. Then again, Bad weather + Jets offense + Schotty = 5-10 dropped passes, 2-3 batted balls, 1 doink to LT where he doesn't even expect the ball, and struggles in the red zone.

I just have a bad feeling about this game. I don't think we match up well at all on offense vs their defense. We're going to need an efficient passing game to score points and I just don't see that happening. Especially in cold weather.

JVOR, in all honesty, it has NOTHING to do with the opposing defense. It's not about matchups. It's about crappy QB play and even crappier play calling.

Suckez could have all the time in the world and miss a wide open receiver by 5 yards, or the WR will drop it. The RBs can miss a hole, or the OLine is slow on the block.

Anothing to add to your list is when that idiot Suckez "checks down" to a double covered LT. Seriously. What f-ckin' QB does that? Suckez did that at least twice against the Fins.

NEWSFLASH, ¡Pendejo maricon! If your RB is double covered that means someone else is open.

Who gives a sh-t?

When was the last time the Jets attacked a weak secondary besides the last 49 seconds of the Texans' game?

Seriously. The Steelers could have high schoolers manning the secondary and that won't automatically mean that Suckez or Schitty will exploit it.

That's kind of my feeling as well. Denver, Detroit, New England, Baltimore, all had secondaries that should have been exploited when we played them but there was none of that.

Who gives a sh-t?

Seriously. The Steelers could have high schoolers manning the secondary and that won't automatically mean that Sukchez or Schitty will exploit it.

Good point. I suspect if Troy's out...to run the ball a ton...especially on first down...oh wait

Archived