Movies We've Seen Thread

In all of his non-Batman stuff Nolan plays around with non-linear storytelling and Oppenheimer may have been his best exercise of it. It's the smartest movie he's ever done and left me shellshocked walking out. That was a horror movie masquerading as a biopic and it's hard to imagine any other actor pulling that role off. 

Seeing anything he does in IMAX is always such a treat. Any Nolan movie at home simply isn't the same movie, especially with a soundtrack and sound like that.

• Upvote 2

How to see Oppenheimer?

IMAX 70mm in Manhattan, assuming tickets can be had within a week or so.  (Over an hour away + parking and tolls.) 

70mm in Paramus

the usual nearby LieMax (Imax digital - laser)  theater (Rockaway, NJ)?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

How to see Oppenheimer?

IMAX 70mm in Manhattan, assuming tickets can be had within a week or so.  (Over an hour away + parking and tolls.) 

70mm in Paramus

the usual nearby LieMax (Imax digital - laser)  theater (Rockaway, NJ)?

Fwiw I've seen films (not Oppenheimer though) in 70mm IMAX and regular IMAX and I don't think the difference is worth that sort of commute. IMAX in New Brunswick was crazy intense and the experience is more than enough. 

To be honest, like Dunkirk, even though the cinematography is amazing the strength of Oppenheimer is in its sound, and any IMAX theater is going to be incredible on that end. I wouldn't mind rewatching it in a Dolby theater.

• Upvote 3

First time back to a movie theatre post covid.  Tried to get ticks to Oppenheimer no luck.  Did go see Barbie with Mrs. Biggs.  First let me say our local theatre smells bad and the seats aren't comfortable.  The carpeting hasn't been changed in 50 years.  Fortunately the carpet pattern is so diverse the puke on it completely dissapears into the pattern. 

Back to Barbie.  Margot Robbie is the tripple threat.  Beautiful, delightful and yummy.   Ryan Gossling on the other hand is heavy handed, overly buffed and lacks the cheerful non-discript Ken doll of my little cousins youth.  

The movie is cute.  It's somewhat of a feminist manifesto but not in a bad way.  Lots of jokes  ha ha instead of burst out laughing, snot flying out of your nose laughs.   About 30 to 40 minutes too long.  

Over all a pretty good movie.  If you have daughters teenage or older take them.  It will be a fun outing.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Man, I hope Last Voyage of the Demeter is good, but I worry.  An accurate portrayal of Dracula is scary enough without being a CGI bat-monster.

Think I saw a teaser for this awhile back. Looks pretty cool definitely looking forward to it. I am leery about CGI bat Drac though as well given Hollywood's track record for CGI lately. Did anyone see The Flash? I've seen better CGI in 2003.

5 hours ago, Drums said:

Infinity Pool was an interesting ride in the sci fi horror realm.

Just watched the trailer. Ehhh. think I'll skip this one. It reminds me of many trailers I've seen before. These are like thrillers that kind of walk the edge of horror but are more weird and psychological than anything else. Not trying to knock it if that's your thing but I am pretty sure this is a sub genre of movies that I rarely enjoy (with some exceptions).

Man, I hope Last Voyage of the Demeter is good, but I worry.  An accurate portrayal of Dracula is scary enough without being a CGI bat-monster.
My thoughts exactly ... When will directors learn that CGI is NOT scary.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Just watched the trailer. Ehhh. think I'll skip this one. It reminds me of many trailers I've seen before. These are like thrillers that kind of walk the edge of horror but are more weird and psychological than anything else. Not trying to knock it if that's your thing but I am pretty sure this is a sub genre of movies that I rarely enjoy (with some exceptions).
CGI artists work as indentured slaves ... I think the industry is feeling that now. Still amazing work being done .. but agencies are wanting a lot more for less these days and it's starting to show.

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

CGI artists work as indentured slaves ... I think the industry is feeling that now. Still amazing work being done .. but agencies are wanting a lot more for less these days and it's starting to show.

Yeah I’ve heard a bit about that here and there. I don’t necessarily blame the actual CGI artists themselves.

5 hours ago, Nolder said:

Think I saw a teaser for this awhile back. Looks pretty cool definitely looking forward to it. I am leery about CGI bat Drac though as well given Hollywood's track record for CGI lately. Did anyone see The Flash? I've seen better CGI in 2003.

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Did you guys ever watch "Shadow of the Vampire"? I thought it was a great concept and movie. Max Schrek, playing Orlov in Nosferatu, was an actual Vampire Murnau managed to cast in the movie,  and his payment was the actress that played Mina. That was good.

Hell, when Nosferatu premiered, when Orlov (Dracula, but Murnau didn't have the book rights, Stokers wife wouldn't sell) appeared, people literally freaked out.

Cool stuff. I HATE what they've done to the Vampire genre. Trash. Curse you, Anne Rice! Interview was decent, but the rest was emo crap that spawned sh*t like Twilight.

9 hours ago, Nolder said:

Yeah it is definitely not a movie for everyone but I was in the mood that night. It was a lot of gore, going for dark and twisted. Probably wouldn't watch it again but I liked Skarsgard and Mia Goth.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Works well when used correctly in horror. There's a good feature about just how much of it there is in The Ring and how they did it. Del Toro uses it really well too. I'd also argue that the original Cloverfield and its effects have held up really, really well. That flick was ahead of its time. Still some really terrifying scenes in that one (i.e. the Brooklyn Bridge collapsing).

• Upvote 1

Works well when used correctly in horror. There's a good feature about just how much of it there is in The Ring and how they did it. Del Toro uses it really well too. I'd also argue that the original Cloverfield and its effects have held up really, really well. That flick was ahead of its time. Still some really terrifying scenes in that one (i.e. the Brooklyn Bridge collapsing).
I'm a visualfx director .. so I guess I'm a bit jaded ... There is something visceral gained by using practical fx vs CGI. CGI for me (possibly because I look at it 10 hours a day) immediately is identifiable and converts whatever I am watching into a Disney film.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

I'm a visualfx director .. so I guess I'm a bit jaded ... There is something visceral gained by using practical fx vs CGI. CGI for me (possibly because I look at it 10 hours a day) immediately is identifiable and converts whatever I am watching into a Disney film.

Hey I agree, practical effects in horror always cut deeper, I’m just saying that there are plenty of examples of it being used well usually in a supplemental fashion.

Hey I agree, practical effects in horror always cut deeper, I’m just saying that there are plenty of examples of it being used well usually in a supplemental fashion.
Totally ... And there is definitely unbelievable work being done.

23 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Totally ... And there is definitely unbelievable work being done.

There is a dream scene in The Exorcist where Karras is running towards his mom at a subway entrance. For a brief second Friedkin shows a flash of the demon. No music, nothing fancy, and it's clearly just a dude in makeup. But holy hell, scariest scene ever IMO. Something about good horror, I don't know, it's always the most simple sh*t that is always the most terrifying.

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There is a dream scene in The Exorcist where Karras is running towards his mom at a subway entrance. For a brief second Friedkin shows a flash of the demon. No music, nothing fancy, and it's clearly just a dude in makeup. But holy hell, scariest scene ever IMO. Something about good horror, I don't know, it's always the most simple sh*t that is always the most terrifying.

Was a chick in makeup, actually 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tried to see Oppenheimer, but it was sold out so I ended up seeing Talk To Me, which was a super clever indy-ish horror flick. Really enjoyed it. 

That's a shame. Maybe my favorite every three-years thing is you spending your money and your time to go see a Christopher Nolan movie knowing that you'll hate it going in.

• Haha 2

Tried to see Oppenheimer, but it was sold out so I ended up seeing Talk To Me, which was a super clever indy-ish horror flick. Really enjoyed it. 
Just got out of Oppenheimer.. holy hell what an achievement in film making from a narrative standpoint.

Awesome.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saw the trailer the other day and it looked good. Didn’t realize it was already out. 

• Upvote 1

We just finished watching Tar which in 2023 was nominated for Best Picture. It wasn't. It's a depressing movie about an orchestra conductor who is accused of using her position to have sexual affairs with people in the industry and she's eventually outed when someone she was involved with committed suicide. It's an unpleasant story I watched it but couldn't wait until it was over. But the lead actress Cate Blanchett who played the conductor and was nominated for Best Actress imo should have gotten it. It was a tremendous performance superior acting. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2023 at 8:31 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Barbie just crossed $1 billion and Oppenheimer just crossed half a billion. Exciting time for movies again with good directors leading the way. 

As long as the strike doesn't kill the industry off.

A lot of theaters lost big money from covid, and were finally starting to show some profits again.  With all production stopped again, the movie pipeline will dry up in a few months.

28 minutes ago, chirorob said:

As long as the strike doesn't kill the industry off.

A lot of theaters lost big money from covid, and were finally starting to show some profits again.  With all production stopped again, the movie pipeline will dry up in a few months.

I think the studios said they have enough in the pipeline to keep releases going through mid-2024. 

Fun fact the last strike saved Jesse Pinkman. Gilligan was originally going to kill him off in the first season and because of the delays he was pouring over all the footage and realized how well Cranston and Aaron Paul played off each other on camera.

• Upvote 1