Movies We've Seen Thread

On 11/29/2023 at 12:51 PM, PFSIKH said:

I watched Copshop the other day.  Gerard Butler is a hit man (among others) hired to kill Frank Grillo.

It was okay.  I would give it three out of five stars if you do not think about how plausible any particular thing is.  

I watched this streaming the other night.  I saw the "Balloon Man" clip and when I saw that Butler was in a shoot 'em up I figured how bad could it be?  I would probably give it 3 out of 10.  It was ridiculous without being particularly fun.  You can tell that they thought it was fun and the ending was tricky, but it never seemed particularly fun or clever.  The whole one location thing didn't really add much0.  The Assault on Precinct 13/Rio Bravo/El Dorado/Alamo angle was low hanging fruit and they seemed to miss it.

• Upvote 1

Watched Furiosa.

I went into it thinking I’d dislike it or just generally tolerate it like a lot of movies these days. I actually liked it a lot. I think Fury Road probably had better action but imo this had a better story. Now, to be clear, this is coming from the perspective of someone who’s never seen any of the original Mad Max movies so YMMV. I thought it was pretty good though and I’m glad I watched it.

Can someone recommend some older movies that are great?  I feel like people are generally inclined to only watch newer releases, despite there being a ton of older movies that are probably amazing.  

And feel free (actually feel encouraged!) to include foreign movies or "weird" artsy movies in this list.  

10 hours ago, Nolder said:

Watched Furiosa.

I went into it thinking I’d dislike it or just generally tolerate it like a lot of movies these days. I actually liked it a lot. I think Fury Road probably had better action but imo this had a better story. Now, to be clear, this is coming from the perspective of someone who’s never seen any of the original Mad Max movies so YMMV. I thought it was pretty good though and I’m glad I watched it.

Same.

I did not have high expectations for the movie.  I was pleasantly surprised by it.  I would agree the first Furiosa had more action.  The prequel had a much better story. For a 2.5 hour movie it had an excellent pace.

• Upvote 1

Caught Good Time last night.   That Vampire kid (,(Pattinson) as a low level criminal with a developmentally disabled brother by the guy that did Uncut Gems.  A lot of the same elements and a soundtrack straight out of Warriors.  seems like some people love it but I didn't really enjoy it too much.  Part of me wants @RutgersJetFanor @T0mShaneto tell me wht to think of it.  

If you like that whole desperation over one night Uncut Gems, Collateral thing with elements of Gone in 60 Seconds and of Mice and Men give it a try

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Caught Good Time last night.   That Vampire kid (,(Pattinson) as a low level criminal with a developmentally disabled brother by the guy that did Uncut Gems.  A lot of the same elements and a soundtrack straight out of Warriors.  seems like some people love it but I didn't really enjoy it too much.  Part of me wants @RutgersJetFanor @T0mShaneto tell me wht to think of it.  

If you like that whole desperation over one night Uncut Gems, Collateral thing with elements of Gone in 60 Seconds and of Mice and Men give it a try

I remember seeing it a long time ago and being really surprised by Pattinson being a real actor. Trying to recall how I felt about the movie itself, but I didn’t note much remarkable about it other than that the characters and the universe they inhabit were all repressively bleak. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can someone recommend some older movies that are great?  I feel like people are generally inclined to only watch newer releases, despite there being a ton of older movies that are probably amazing.  

And feel free (actually feel encouraged!) to include foreign movies or "weird" artsy movies in this list.  

The best film of all time is Unforgiven. Another best film of all time is 13 Assassins. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best film of all time is Unforgiven. 

There’s actually a really great argument one could make for this. Not only has it completely held up over time but I feel like it’s only gotten better with age. Not sure I would agree but the argument is there to be made. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Loved that movie. Heavy Paul Thomas Anderson vibes for me. When the blowback began against Pattinson for Batman I feel like the only people that didn’t have a problem with it were the ones that saw Good Time. He’s a fantastic actor. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Killing of a Chinese Bookie

The Omega Man

THX 1138

Solaris

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How old? I mean 2014 was a decade ago you know? Doesn’t feel like a long time but it kinda is…

I feel like anything I recommend you’ll probably have already seen but whatever, if you have you have I guess lol.

Pretty cool action movie. 

Hard to believe anyone hasn’t seen this but I guess you never know.

Another movie I doubt you haven’t seen but on the off chance you haven’t then it’s worth including.

I usually watch these two together although looking at the years they were made maybe that’s a strange thing to do. I always thought they were made a couple years apart lol. Anyway great older movies a couple of my favorites.

And I’ll end with my favorite movie of all time. Seriously I’ve seen Tremors so many times. I wore out my VHS copy when I was a kid.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The best film of all time is Unforgiven. Another best film of all time is 13 Assassins. 

I've always considered The Right Stuff as my "best movie of all time".... but I would put Unforgiven in the same very small grouping.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Loved that movie. Heavy Paul Thomas Anderson vibes for me. When the blowback began against Pattinson for Batman I feel like the only people that didn’t have a problem with it were the ones that saw Good Time. He’s a fantastic actor. 

I figured you would like it.  I do think I forgot to mention that Pattinson was really good in it.  I didn't really connect with anyone in the movie. 

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I remember seeing it a long time ago and being really surprised by Pattinson being a real actor. Trying to recall how I felt about the movie itself, but I didn’t note much remarkable about it other than that the characters and the universe they inhabit were all repressively bleak. 

Yeah.  As I said above, Pattinson was good.  When we started it I told my wife it has that vampire kid in it and my wife said "Robert Pattinson?  He's supposed to be a really good actor" and when it was done I felt like, yep, he's good.  I agree about it being repressively bleak.  I had some Requiem for a Dream vibes.  Kind of felt like I was watching a bunch of skells that I wouldn't let into my house get let into other people's houses, but I didn't like any of them enough to care much.  It felt too much like all of them except the disabled kid made their own misery.

Speaking of movies with no characters you much like, I watched the Killer last night.  Probably popped up in a feed because of Rutgers making me search the Kill.   If you don't mind watching a sociopath with few redeeming qualities talk to himself while listening to the Smiths it is actually pretty good.  Almost all the dialogue is his running inner monologue telling you how to get threw things like he was the dude from Burn Notice.  Tilda ("she looks like a Qtip" Swinton was in it and she is good as usual.  I kind of enjoyed it, but my main feeling was that I would be supremely embarrassed to be killed by Michael Fassbender listening to Johnny Marr.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:26 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Killing of a Chinese Bookie

The Omega Man

THX 1138

Solaris

The Omega Man is literally the only movie that ever scared me.  I dont think it was particularly scary but it had zombie types and I was little.  I was scared and my mom said just scrunch down in the seat so you can't see the screen.  My dad held me up and said No son of mine if going to be afraid of a movie!  Mom said just close your eyes.  So dad held my eyes open. and said no son of mine is going to be afraid of a movie!

Some people claim child abuse.  I think I was 4 when it came our but this had to be.a cheap matinee a year or so later.  I snuck into see the Exorcist when I was like 10 and giggled my ass off. I couldn't figure out why I used to have such a crazy reaction when Ironsides came on until 20 years later whe. I rewatched Omega Man and realized it had the same damn music.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:11 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

On 7/6/2024 at 7:51 PM, T0mShane said:

I've been thinking about this one some more.  I'm not sure if that means it was better than I initially thought or if it means it is one of those movies that I feel like I am supposed to like, but didn't.  I think one of the reasons I didn't connect was the lack of a suitable McGuffin.  I mean they go on that search in Adventure Land, but the goal never really drew my interest.

Also, watched the Beekeeper.  If you like mindless action I guess it was okay.  Really though, it wasn't.  It also suffered from what I was complaining about with the 2nd season of Reacher.  It is no fun when the lead is invincible.  Doesn't matter how many men with how many machine guns, he doesn't even have to use trickery.  I mean even Riggs dislocated his shoulder.  

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I've been thinking about this one some more.  I'm not sure if that means it was better than I initially thought or if it means it is one of those movies that I feel like I am supposed to like, but didn't.  I think one of the reasons I didn't connect was the lack of a suitable McGuffin.  I mean they go on that search in Adventure Land, but the goal never really drew my interest.

Also, watched the Beekeeper.  If you like mindless action I guess it was okay.  Really though, it wasn't.  It also suffered from what I was complaining about with the 2nd season of Reacher.  It is no fun when the lead is invincible.  Doesn't matter how many men with how many machine guns, he doesn't even have to use trickery.  I mean even Riggs dislocated his shoulder.  

I think I just enjoy anything that Pattinson does at this point. Bad rap from Twilight but he’s legit maybe the best actor this generation has produced. Hard to think of a better performance than him in The Lighthouse. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think I just enjoy anything that Pattinson does at this point. Bad rap from Twilight but he’s legit maybe the best actor this generation has produced. Hard to think of a better performance than him in The Lighthouse. 

Yeah 100% what you said about having a bad rap from Twilight. I feel the same way about Adam Driver and his role as Kylo Ren in Star Wars. I’ve really liked him in every other movie I’ve seen him in.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:08 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Being There

Charade

Cool Hand Luke

Diner

Goodbye Charlie

Guys and Dolls

In the Heat of the Night

Michael Clayton

North by Northwest

Risky Business

Roman Holiday

Stand by Me

The Fabulous Baker Boys

The Italian Job

The Mothman Propecies

The Pink Panther

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Nolder said:

Yeah 100% what you said about having a bad rap from Twilight. I feel the same way about Adam Driver and his role as Kylo Ren in Star Wars. I’ve really liked him in every other movie I’ve seen him in.

You're doing something right if you land the lead in a Coppola film, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

They are remaking Time Bandits, and this looks awful.

He did a decent job with Thor Ragnorak, and I loved JoJo Rabbit.  This looks awful.

Trying to remake a Gilliam flick is like trying to learn how to play music by learning Frank Zappa songs.

• Haha 2

I watched The Bikeriders

It was ok but it wasn’t really what I thought it was from the trailer. I was expecting like Sons of Anarchy The Movie but it was closer to if Fonzie from Happy Days started a motorcycle gang. Also 65% of the movie is told in interview and then you get flashbacks because it’s based on a real story about a real gang. Again it was an ok movie but if you were expecting wild sh*t then temper your expectations before going in.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I watched The Bikeriders

It was ok but it wasn’t really what I thought it was from the trailer. I was expecting like Sons of Anarchy The Movie but it was closer to if Fonzie from Happy Days started a motorcycle gang. Also 65% of the movie is told in interview and then you get flashbacks because it’s based on a real story about a real gang. Again it was an ok movie but if you were expecting wild sh*t then temper your expectations before going in.

We went to see it because I have some old biker friends.  The acting was good, but the movie wasn't.  Pretty slow and they acted like the actual depravity of biker gangs only came when those meddling kids took over.  Like, "Oh man, this isn't like the good old days!"  Nothing like Toecutter or anything.  The dudes generally enjoyed seeing the old bikes, but knew the story.  The wives just said it was boring.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Nolder said:

I just saw Driver in Ferrari.  He must have been pretty good because I didn't even notice it was him until my wife said "That's Adam Driver."  I think she read it on imdb.  That is a fair movie.  If you're interested it is very much worth watching, if you're not, don't bother.  I went to the Mille Miglia five years straight from 2006-2010, but it's just an exhibition now with all the cars from that year and older.